Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5th OL in 7 weeks

ColtsFanMikeC

With Mewhort's injury, it looks like Joe Haeg is going to move over to left guard (I assume this means Reitz is going to be RT)..

This is going to be the 5th different starting OL formation we have seen in a 7 week period.

I guess, on the bright side, we're forcing some of our young guys to get experience at different positions.  I am actually very impressed with Haeg, as I think he has shown a lot of versatility and promise as a 7th round pick out of a FCS school.  However, the fact that we've got a 7th round pick from a FCS (Formally 1-AA) school starting multiple positions on the offensive line in his rookie year is pretty alarming.

I said before this season that after Joe Philbin, my next favorite coach signing was the strength and conditioning guy - starting to feel a bit differently with the injuries we have had on our team, and it's not just the OL, it is across the board.  We are without WR2 and 3, we've played games without our top CB, several OL, several DL, our TE1, our SS1, and many other key role players.  This is getting to just be frustrating.

I can deal with it.   Reitz should be healed up now instead of hurt like he'd been the first couple of weeks.   If we could do a decent job on Clowney and Mercilus with Haeg at tackle. I don't see why we couldn't do a good job against Morgan and Orakpo with the more experienced Reitz out there.  This aint the first time we've played this club.

I have no idea why they wont leave Haeg at RT and slide Reitz next to Castonzo but I don't like it. Reitz and Castonzo have some chemistry together and work well together. With that said with Mewhort out Luck better run like he has Michael Myers chasing him

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

I have no idea why they wont leave Haeg at RT and slide Reitz next to Castonzo but I don't like it. Reitz and Castonzo have some chemistry together and work well together. With that said with Mewhort out Luck better run like he has Michael Myers chasing him

I completely agree.   Reitz has had some games where he did well at RT but IMO he seems to do better at guard.  Haeg has done ok at RT and I hope he's there for good.  Fitting guys into the right position and developing consistency can improve the line greatly.  

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

I agree, this will be a test for philbin to show us he is an o-line guru

54 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Reitz should be next to Castonzo, they play well together in pass protection. Haeg was getting used to playing with Good, now they mess him up.

Injuries aside, which is a big problem of course, I'm suspect of these coaches and don't fully trust they even know where to play who.

That's another reason I think we've played poorly in general.

I was also a fan of Reitz at LG.

6 hours ago, FACE REALITY said:

I agree, this will be a test for philbin to show us he is an o-line guru

He is but remember that its up to the player to accept the teaching so just because a player fails to play well doesn't always mean its because he is not being taught well. There is a such thing as a bad player. Just cause your in the NFL don't make you a good player when you get their. It just means you were good in college and most players are good in college because the NFL game is much more mental than the college game and on average players in the NFL are a bit faster and stronger

A good analogy I think is Haeg is like a child when stacked up to many players who have been around the NFL a while. Haeg is young. He still has some physical development to go through and mental development on the field and while Philbin is the parent of sorts who's responsible to oversee his development Their comes a point where the kid becomes responsible for his own actions and has to account for his own actions. Its not often the parents fault the kid grew up to be a bad person. Sometimes it is. Its not often the position coaches fault that the O Lineman is a bad O Lineman but sometimes it is when the O Line coach draws up horrible blocking assignments and doesn't go over some basic fundamentals to grow on much but is more focused on assignments and things like that.

Philbin taught footwork and stance and all that of the O Linemen. Its up to the players to accept it as they grow.