Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What round do you take a RB?

So let's assume the Colts draft from 10-15 range. A RB is in our needs big time and IMO let's just say as well garret and fournette are off the table. I beleive there was only one top tier RBS last year and it was elliot but this year I beleive there are several. For me if there's not an immediate game changer at OLB I'm going with RB. If there is then almost no later than a second round. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking that early, which is most likely to happen at this point, I would rather they wait until round 3 to get a RB. There should still be some good ones early round 3, including Gallman, and possibly even Royce Freeman due to the depth this year.

First 2 rounds I am focusing on defense and getting playmakers there, especially in the pass rush and LB group.

The only rb left for the first is Cooks and I would only choose him if no other lb'er or cb available shows more talent. Pass rusher should be the focus but with a deep class you could get a couple good ones between rounds two and four. So unless we pick up Cooks in the first round, I would look at round three.

Rounds 2 or 3.

Round 1 is too early and have more pressing needs....

Round 4 and beyond the odds of finding a quality starting RB go down sharply.     I'd like the first back we take to come from the top-100 players.

I'd like a 2nd back out of this great class perhaps in R 6.      Someone who will make the roster next year as well.

We need to get younger,  and more athletic at the position.

As usually it depends on who's there to take. With that many good options on the board and so many other high profile needs I really can't make myself want a RB in the first. I can see us taking one in any round 2 to 7.

I'd really like to address pass-rush first, but after that I'm open for a RB even in the second if a good option is available.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rounds 2 or 3.

Round 1 is too early and have more pressing needs....

Round 4 and beyond the odds of finding a quality starting RB go down sharply.     I'd like the first back we take to come from the top-100 players.

I'd like a 2nd back out of this great class perhaps in R 6.      Someone who will make the roster next year as well.

We need to get younger,  and more athletic at the position.

I agree. Get our feature back in round 2 or 3, then get someone like Jamaal Williams as a wild card in round 6-7.

12 hours ago, KB said:

The only rb left for the first is Cooks and I would only choose him if no other lb'er or cb available shows more talent. Pass rusher should be the focus but with a deep class you could get a couple good ones between rounds two and four. So unless we pick up Cooks in the first round, I would look at round three.

I agree about Cooke. I think he's what the Colts need. However I'd also look at RB in rounds 2-4 if we don't get a first round back.

Depends on who's there when we pick. Say we're picking in that range and Leonard Fournette is still on the board, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him immediately. Otherwise, I would see who would be there in the second if one of the top few fall that far. Otherwise, I would try for Royce Freeman in the third.

The unfortunate thing is that we could have our choice at a franchise back this year, but we'll likely have to pass in order to fill other needs. Cook is the only guy I would take in the first (over Fournette), but I'm going OLB/CB before RB round one. I'd also probably go ILB/CB/DT before RB in round two. 

Got to hope a guy like Freeman or Gallman fall to round 3. As someone else mentioned, anything 4th round or after comes with a much larger risk that the player flames out and we're spending another early pick on a RB in a year or two.

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Free Agency.

If our starting RB comes from Free Agency next year, we're in a lot of trouble again. Turbin is better than anyone that could be signed next offseason, unless you're thinking the Colts will drop $10-15 mil for Bell.

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

If our starting RB comes from Free Agency next year, we're in a lot of trouble again. Turbin is better than anyone that could be signed next offseason, unless you're thinking the Colts will drop $10-15 mil for Bell.

No I was thinking like Knile Davis from the Chiefs. Packers just grabbed him though. There's young guys out there with some experience for cheap.

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

No I was thinking like Knile Davis from the Chiefs. Packers just grabbed him though. There's young guys out there with some experience for cheap.

Christine Michael may be an option too depending on what happens with Rawls' health. Outside of those two, there's not much out there in the way of youth. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

Watching Leonard Fournette right now vs Ole Miss, there is no way you pass on him if he's available. Averaging 35 yards a carry and looks unstoppable. 

Haha, I just texted the same thing to my cousin.  7 rushes 250 yards and 3 TDs with as you said 35 yards per lol

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I also agree I'd pick him in the first in a heart beat.

It sounds crazy but he might actually be available for us. We're definitely picking top 10 IMO and there are a teams that need Qbs that should be ahead of us. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

It sounds crazy but he might actually be available for us. We're definitely picking top 10 IMO and there are a teams that need Qbs that should be ahead of us. 

Yeah, with the rest of their schedule I don't really see them winning many more games.  Anything can happen though. 

Leonard Fournette = Bo Jackson = Earl Campbell...If he is there in the first, we will not pass.

Aikman, Smith, Irvin

Luck, Fournette, Hilton

Options (Mini Mock 1)

A.

1. Leonard Fournette RB

2. Dawaune Smoot DE

3. Cordrea Tankersley CB

4. Davin Bellamy OLB

B.

1. Derek Bennett DE

2. Dawaune Smoot DE

3. Samaje Perine RB

4. Jaleel Johnson DL

Would definitely prefer to draft one over getting one in FA. I'd say it really depends on FA. If we pick up a good OLB or ILB then that would make it easier to pick a RB earlier. I'd say those positions are the reason that we won't make the playoffs, so we MUST address them, and do it well. 

I think you have to keep an open mind on the RB need.  Look at Dallas.  People have been saying they have had  the best Ol for quite a few years now.  They drafted 8th. last year.  You had to lose a lot of games to draft 8th.  They needed a lot of help.  But they took Ezekial Elliot.  What a difference he is making for them and they lost Romo too.  I have always been a proponent of getting a starter with the first pick in a position of need.  Hopefully the first two picks.  We got it with Kelly and the majority of the board couldn't justify a center with our 1st pick.  I'm glad we took him.  I am keeping an open mind.  It's a crap shoot anyway.  Last year Polian had Elliot as his No. 1 player on the board.  Kelly was 4th.  You can't get hung up on position when you have multiple needs to fill.  I like best player available in a position of need who has a great chance to start. If it turns out to be a RB that's okay with me. 

16 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Would definitely prefer to draft one over getting one in FA. I'd say it really depends on FA. If we pick up a good OLB or ILB then that would make it easier to pick a RB earlier. I'd say those positions are the reason that we won't make the playoffs, so we MUST address them, and do it well. 

There's not anyone who's really set to hit the market that I'd say is a good enough OLB to consider the position "locked up."  There's some ok guys.  Chanlder Jones is the best of what's there, but he's not going to be available.  ILBs are a toss up as to who's available and who gets re-signed, but there's a couple guys in there I'd pick up.  Kiko's not great, but he's fine, if he's there. 

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

There's not anyone who's really set to hit the market that I'd say is a good enough OLB to consider the position "locked up."  There's some ok guys.  Chanlder Jones is the best of what's there, but he's not going to be available.  ILBs are a toss up as to who's available and who gets re-signed, but there's a couple guys in there I'd pick up.  Kiko's not great, but he's fine, if he's there. 

Melvin Ingram is a free agent I think. He's played well when he's been healthy. Other than him and Jones there's not much though. 

On 10/25/2016 at 6:18 PM, BigHen said:

Defense is clearly needed, however a stud RB can do be beneficial for a defense.  Witness Ezekiel Elliott with the Cowboys.  A well rested defense can overcome the shortcomings.  I like Cook from Florida State

Shocking that Elliot is killing it behind the best offensive line in football.  They made a washed up Darren McFadden look good.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Shocking that Elliot is killing it behind the best offensive line in football.  They made a washed up Darren McFadden look good.

Gore is averaging 4.2 ypc. Our line isn't as terrible as some make it out to be. A dynamic talent like Fournette or Cook could definitely better Gores stats and keep the defense off the field.

Im not advocating for a RB early, I want Foster round 1, but if a RB is BPA I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

Gore is averaging 4.2 ypc. Our line isn't as terrible as some make it out to be. A dynamic talent like Fournette or Cook could definitely better Gores stats and keep the defense off the field.

Im not advocating for a RB early, I want Foster round 1, but if a RB is BPA I'm all for it. 

I would agree with all that, except for the last half sentence.

37 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

You want an INSIDE linebacker in R1?       Not an OUTSIDE linebacker for the pass rush?

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want an INSIDE linebacker in R1?       Not an OUTSIDE linebacker for the pass rush?

Yup. We're picking outside the top 10 so I believe Reuben Foster will be the best player available. Guys like Harris and Williams will be there but I like Foster more. 

41 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

What about you? What are your RB rankings and who do you like in the 1st round?

Well....    it's early....   very early....   and my only thought on the first round is pass rush.

I know Garrett is going to be long gone....   and I fear that Barnett might be too.

So, maybe Allen from Alabama to get pressure on the QB from a DE position?    Or, Harris the kid from Missouri.   Not sure if Smoot lasts to our pick in the 2nd round?       Solomon Thomas from Stanford is having a very good year,  but I'm not sure he's a fit in our scheme.   6'3" and 275 is too small for a DE and perhaps too big for an OLB.    But he's a very good athlete and smart kid, so maybe if he drops 10-15 pounds?

But, as for OLB....      Williams is talented,  but he's got big character Red Flags that I fear will remove him from our 1st round board.       Davis from Florida is smallish....   Anderson from Alabama might be a 2nd round kid?

If we don't make the playoffs,  then I see us picking roughly 12-20.     Can we find the best defensive fit?

Honestly, I've read great things about Foster.    One scout compared him to Luke Keuchly with Carolina.   That's as high as praise can get.      And if it's true,  then it's hard to see him lasting until we pick.     

I just know we have to address defense....   and the two fastest ways to impact the defense are pass rush and cornerbacks.      Not to say other positions aren't also important....   but I think those can get addressed after the first round or two.....

Again, it's really early and lots of what I've written now will likely look silly in 3-4 months....     Heck, maybe even sooner than that!

Sorry.....       this post went on longer than I expected!                :peek:

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:41 PM, richard pallo said:

I think you have to keep an open mind on the RB need.  Look at Dallas.  People have been saying they have had  the best Ol for quite a few years now.  They drafted 8th. last year.  You had to lose a lot of games to draft 8th.  They needed a lot of help.  But they took Ezekial Elliot.  What a difference he is making for them and they lost Romo too.  I have always been a proponent of getting a starter with the first pick in a position of need.  Hopefully the first two picks.  We got it with Kelly and the majority of the board couldn't justify a center with our 1st pick.  I'm glad we took him.  I am keeping an open mind.  It's a crap shoot anyway.  Last year Polian had Elliot as his No. 1 player on the board.  Kelly was 4th.  You can't get hung up on position when you have multiple needs to fill.  I like best player available in a position of need who has a great chance to start. If it turns out to be a RB that's okay with me. 

Yes the Cowboys took Elliot but taking 3 first round offensive linemen in the last six drafts should make an average RB look good.

I am not saying that Elliot is just an average RB but when you pick offensive linemen in the first round it sure helps.