Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Pagano get another Head Coaching job?

SurfinKal

This morning i went for a surf with a friend who is a SD Chargers fan and we talked about the coaching issues for both teams. I made the joke that after this season Pags will get fired and the only team crazy enough to pick him up as a head coach would be the Chargers.  We both laughed it off, but it got me thinking. After the well documented * poor head coaching job that he has done in Indianapolis would any team really want him? The guy is responsible for multiple ridiculous plays capped by the punt/hike against New England. IMO the guy should be handing gatorade to players on the bench.

I don't think Pagano will get fired this year.  I think the Colts need a fresh start if they don't make the playoffs but I don't think Irsay will do it.  Now Grigson on the other hand, I can see him getting canned.  To answer your question, if he gets let go, I don't think he'll find another heading coaching job in the NFL. 

Of course. Subpar coaches get recycled all the time. Some owner of a bad team or a university looking to make a splash with name recognition will give him a shot. They will look at his EARLY win totals and base the decision on that alone but a closer look would tell them other wise. Sure Grigs has not been A1 as gm but Chuck has made many COACHING errors leading to this team's REGRESSION whether it be STYLE of play vs personnel at hand, refusal to ADAPT and LEARN from mistakes, by not having the team FOCUSED or disciplined for 60 mins etc. but at the end of the day Chuck will be ok with Colt money in his pocket and a little more time to squeeze money elsewhere BEFORE they too realize he's just NOT a good hc.   

2 hours ago, jeepnkal said:

This morning i went for a surf with a friend who is a SD Chargers fan and we talked about the coaching issues for both teams. I made the joke that after this season Pags will get fired and the only team crazy enough to pick him up as a head coach would be the Chargers.  We both laughed it off, but it got me thinking. After the well documented * poor head coaching job that he has done in Indianapolis would any team really want him? The guy is responsible for multiple ridiculous plays capped by the punt/hike against New England. IMO the guy should be handing gatorade to players on the bench.

After the botched punt last year vs. New England,  most every media outlet said Pagano would not only be fired, he never be a head coach again.

Well....    it was reported by NFL.com that if Irsay had fired Pagano,  there were a number of teams lined up ready to hire him.

-- They saw three straight 11-5 seasons.     

-- They saw going one game further in the playoffs each year.

-- They saw going 8-8 with 5 different quarterbacks.

-- They saw going 8-8 with a bad roster,  a GM whose support was questionable,  and an owner who put enormous pressure on the HC.

-- They saw all that and said,  they'd be happy to hire Chuck Pagano.

Sorry,  but your view is a fans view.    That's different from the view of people who are inside the NFL.

If Grigson gets fired Pagano will be fired also.   New GMs hire their own coaches 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

After the botched punt last year vs. New England,  most every media outlet said Pagano would not only be fired, he never be a head coach again.

Well....    it was reported by NFL.com that if Irsay had fired Pagano,  there were a number of teams lined up ready to hire him.

-- They saw going 8-8 with a bad roster,  a GM whose support was questionable,  and an owner who put enormous pressure on the HC.

Sorry,  but your view is a fans view.    That's different from the view of people who are inside the NFL.

Plus the fact that the players love Pagano.

Hey, if we go 6-10 (or worse?) and Irsay decides to cut the chord,  then it may be much harder this time around for Pagano to get picked up as a HC.

Page might decide to take his severance check and walk away and retire.     I think he talked about that last December when it looked like he was Dead Man Walking.

Not sure he wants to go back to being either a DC or a DB coach.     He might just call it a career.

Personally,   I hope Irsay gives the Pagano/Grigson duo another year to see what happens.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, if we go 6-10 (or worse?) and Irsay decides to cut the chord,  then it may be much harder this time around for Pagano to get picked up as a HC.

Page might decide to take his severance check and walk away and retire.     I think he talked about that last December when it looked like he was Dead Man Walking.

Not sure he wants to go back to being either a DC or a DB coach.     He might just call it a career.

Personally,   I hope Irsay gives the Pagano/Grigson duo another year to see what happens.

Yeah to much disappointment regarding a lot of people in here I think Irsay wont fire either for at least another year. If we end up with a bad record this season and then next I can see him doing something then. It's fun to talk about Harbaugh and others but Irsay IMO will stick with his plan at least through next season, JMO. He would look bad if he fired either before then after signing each to extensions.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looking at it as a fan? no, i am looking at it with my eyes wide open. These "insiders" you talk about are plants by thier clients agent. If you cant see he is a trash head coach than you are beyond help.

5 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

Looking at it as a fan? no, i am looking at it with my eyes wide open. These "insiders" you talk about are plants by thier clients agent. If you cant see he is a trash head coach than you are beyond help.

Translation: "I hate him so he sucks but I can't give any tangible reasons as to why." 

That's one of my favorite lines that i see on here all the time.  lol

11 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

If you cant see the valid points brought up it is you who is beyond help.

There are plenty of head coaches who didn't start out doing as good as Pagano has.

Sorry if you cant see the forest because of the trees.

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Irsay is on the hook for 4 years on both him and Grigson so I dont see them losing their job until after year two if this keeps up. But like I said that would be 6 years of Luck's career with bad coaching and poor scouting and decisions

The first three years of Lucks career so far wasn't so bad. Not too many rookie QBs go three 11-5 seasons in a row and make a trip to the conference championship game.

I know things are rough right now but there is no reason to exaggerate things.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you cant see the valid points brought up it is you who is beyond help.

There are plenty of head coaches who didn't start out doing as good as Pagano has.

Sorry if you cant see the forest because of the trees.

As I pointed out the "stories" are plants by agents for thier clients benefit.

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes I think he would get another HC job.  But I think he is our coach for the remainder of the year and next year as well.  I think Jim will give him that much time and then make a decision. 

I agree.

I think with the success of this years draft so far it buys Grigs and Pagano another year.

If next years draft don't pan out don't seem to improve the team I think Jimmy fires them both.

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, no cigar.

Don't bother responding because I am muting you because you are not worth me wasting my time dealing with you.

wait wait, maybe you can explain to the rest of us how the sports media learn of these interested parties. Do the GM's and owners call the ESPN hotline to let them know they are interested in a head coach? 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The first three years of Lucks career so far wasn't so bad. Not too many rookie QBs go three 11-5 seasons in a row and make a trip to the conference championship game.

I know things are rough right now but there is no reason to exaggerate things.

11-5 is fine but I thought we all learned from the last 18 years that winning in the regular season is meaningless if you do not compete for titles.

15 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Here come the recycled defenses of Chuckles.

Chuck shouldn't get another HC job, but the NFL is full people who make horrible football decisions.  

Chuck getting another coaching job if he gets fired has nothing to do with defending him.

Thus the title of the thread.

You're right.     I'm beyond help.

While being down on Pagano is the current prevailing wisdom,  my view is not alone.

The people that NFL.com are not plants.    They've talked to other NFL sources in the league office and with various teams.

If you don't know that,  then you're beyond help.

By the way,   welcome to the website.     You're new around here,   and you starting off by picking fights with people you don't know.      Not the smartest approach to joining a new website......        

12 minutes ago, corgi said:

Would not be surprised to see hin wind up in SF, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, or LA. That's if he is fired and one of those teams fire their coach. I have no doubt that he would get an offer. 

Please let it be Jacksonville!!

7 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I said it years ago that Irsay was going to regret letting Bruce Arians go.

I was in this camp also, but even coach BA is having his struggles this season. Hard to stay ahead of the rest of the league(coaching-wise), unless you're Hoodie. JMO