Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change of Pace: Looking ahead to offseason & draft

I had hoped that I would have been able to post a topic that discussed our playoff options coming up based on some updated predictions on games, records and playoff slots.  But with the loss to Houston, and being in last place in the worst division in Football (by a large margin in my opinion) I think it may be more interesting to start the long sad slog into the offseason after missing the playoffs for a rare two years in a row.  If you believe otherwise, I'm not really interested in hearing about that here, I'd like to instead start mapping out Draft needs and FA needs. Feel free to create a "will they or won't they" playoff post yourself. 

The Colts have as I understand it, a normal 1 through 7 slate of picks, minus our 7th due to the Billy Winn trade.  In addition, as it currently stands, predictions are that we will get a 4th and 6rh round compensatory picks (based on this article: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/17/11253962/colts-are-set-up-well-to-get-compensatory-picks-in-2017).  For the sake of Discussion, I am going with their conclusion understanding it is subject to change.  

That means we have: 

Round 1: ILB or ORushLB

Round 2  ILB or ORushLB

Round 3 Cornerback or Running Back

Round 4 Running Back or Cornerback

Round 4 WR (yes, I am going there... Dorsett has been a disappointment). 

Round 5 Best OLine Available (Preferably RG potential)

Round 6 Best Defensive Player Available (Special Teams Stud)

8 Picks and plenty of needs. This year we will also have our largest amount to spend (since we didn't have to resign anyone because the draft class of 4 years ago are all gone) so it is time to make some hay in FA.   (Hat tip to Superman who posted previously about our salary cap, he's the God of that sort of thing).  

In FA, we need to fine an established Inside LB and an established Outside Rush Backer.  Who will be available?  I took a look at potential FA's and it's not pretty.  There are some decent Inside LB's. but it's slim pickins on the OLB front.  But that is where we need to focus.  Because we are literally 4 starters down in my view, even if we keep Walden as depth.  I can't see keeping any other LB's on our roster frankly.   

If we can find the above talent, with expectations of the first 4 picks all starting, the WR being no worse than #4, our 5th round OLine prospect being able to challenge at RG and our two 6th Rounders as Defensive Depth and Special Teams Studs, I think we could significantly reverse the old age problems and go from the oldest team to one of the youngest.  

I realize prior to players names being offered up, this is very general.  But it's this kind of sweeping youth movement in key positions that I think we need to compete for Super Bowls in the final 4 years of Luck's prime.  

Sure, this is all very premature but things have been so depressing beating the various dead horses, I thought I'd give folks something else to talk about.  I think this is the sort of outlined approach I would be mulling over.   I understand we may end up with worse compensatory picks etc. but, I'd like to hear what direction and emphasis you guys would take to next year.  Something has to change personnel wise.  We're just not good enough to compete even with different coaches and GM in my view.  I think this initial surge in youth on Defense especially is critical.  

What do you all think we should do?  (I am far more curious to hear what YOU would do with these picks and in Free Agency than just whining and moaning about my ideas). 

First of all, I'm going to say that my post and opinions suck so nobody should need point that out. 

Next, i'm going to look at the draft because I feel that's most important to the future of the team.  This draft assumes we don't get any help via FA.  Obviously, a top tier FA would change things.

Round 1: ILB or ORushLB - I would definitely take the best pass-rusher avail. regardless of DL or LB

Round 2  ILB or ORushLB - Best RG or RT available IMHO

Round 3 Cornerback or Running Back - Best pass rusher avail.  The more the merrier!

Round 4 Running Back or Cornerback - Best CB avail.

Round 4 WR (yes, I am going there... Dorsett has been a disappointment). - RB.  Running games are de-emphasized and a good one can be had this late.  Jordan Howard was a 5th rounder this last draft!

Round 5 Best OLine Available (Preferably RG potential) - Best player avail.

Round 6 Best Defensive Player Available (Special Teams Stud) - Best player avail.

Round 6 Best Defensive Player Available (Special Teams Stud) - Best player avail.

After the draft we see what's left in FA and SPEND WISELY.

Beyond that it's too difficult to tell with all the changes that may happen.

I would also like to point out that at this point in his career Reggie Wayne was thought to be a wasted draft pick.  I also see the similarity between he and Dorsett in that both were considered "luxury picks" and we needed players at other positions.  Both were selected in the 20's, and both were from the U.  They aren't necessarily the same type of WR, but they do share similarities.  Reggie came around and they found better ways to use him.  Also, he and Peyton had better communication and timing as they went on.  By year 4 Reg was a stud.  I could see the same of Dorsett IF he and Luck work together and IF the coaching staff can get him into better positions/formations that will utilize his talents.  I believe he is NOT a wasted pick, and I believe if we let him go he would become one of those guys we wished we had back (a la Hughes).  I just think it's too early to call this one.  And if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I had hoped that I would have been able to post a topic that discussed our playoff options coming up based on some updated predictions on games, records and playoff slots.  But with the loss to Houston, and being in last place in the worst division in Football (by a large margin in my opinion) I think it may be more interesting to start the long sad slog into the offseason after missing the playoffs for a rare two years in a row.  If you believe otherwise, I'm not really interested in hearing about that here, I'd like to instead start mapping out Draft needs and FA needs. Feel free to create a "will they or won't they" playoff post yourself. 

The Colts have as I understand it, a normal 1 through 7 slate of picks, minus our 7th due to the Billy Winn trade.  In addition, as it currently stands, predictions are that we will get a 4th and 6rh round compensatory picks (based on this article: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/17/11253962/colts-are-set-up-well-to-get-compensatory-picks-in-2017).  For the sake of Discussion, I am going with their conclusion understanding it is subject to change.  

That means we have: 

Round 2  ILB or ORushLB

8 Picks and plenty of needs. This year we will also have our largest amount to spend (since we didn't have to resign anyone because the draft class of 4 years ago are all gone) so it is time to make some hay in FA.   (Hat tip to Superman who posted previously about our salary cap, he's the God of that sort of thing).  

In FA, we need to fine an established Inside LB and an established Outside Rush Backer.  Who will be available?  I took a look at potential FA's and it's not pretty.  There are some decent Inside LB's. but it's slim pickins on the OLB front.  But that is where we need to focus.  Because we are literally 4 starters down in my view, even if we keep Walden as depth.  I can't see keeping any other LB's on our roster frankly.   

If we can find the above talent, with expectations of the first 4 picks all starting, the WR being no worse than #4, our 5th round OLine prospect being able to challenge at RG and our two 6th Rounders as Defensive Depth and Special Teams Studs, I think we could significantly reverse the old age problems and go from the oldest team to one of the youngest.  

I realize prior to players names being offered up, this is very general.  But it's this kind of sweeping youth movement in key positions that I think we need to compete for Super Bowls in the final 4 years of Luck's prime.  

Sure, this is all very premature but things have been so depressing beating the various dead horses, I thought I'd give folks something else to talk about.  I think this is the sort of outlined approach I would be mulling over.   I understand we may end up with worse compensatory picks etc. but, I'd like to hear what direction and emphasis you guys would take to next year.  Something has to change personnel wise.  We're just not good enough to compete even with different coaches and GM in my view.  I think this initial surge in youth on Defense especially is critical.  

What do you all think we should do?  (I am far more curious to hear what YOU would do with these picks and in Free Agency than just whining and moaning about my ideas). 

good post

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

That means we have: 

Round 2  ILB or ORushLB

Moved to Draft and Free Agency section

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's hard to look forward to the draft with Grigson at the helm tbh. I'll only feel comfortable if there's a no-brainer pick when we're on the clock like Myles Garrett because I know not even Grigson could screw it up.

I know what you mean how can you get excited with the possibility of this dingbat making the picks. He's already blown 3 of his 5 first rounders. I'd be terrified if he was picking top 5.

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's hard to look forward to the draft with Grigson at the helm tbh. I'll only feel comfortable if there's a no-brainer pick when we're on the clock like Myles Garrett because I know not even Grigson could screw it up.

The idea is what would YOU do.  That's the only point.  I am curious to hear what you guys would do if it were up to you? 

16 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

First of all, I'm going to say that my post and opinions suck so nobody should need point that out. 

Next, i'm going to look at the draft because I feel that's most important to the future of the team.  This draft assumes we don't get any help via FA.  Obviously, a top tier FA would change things.

Round 1: ILB or ORushLB - I would definitely take the best pass-rusher avail. regardless of DL or LB

Round 2  ILB or ORushLB - Best RG or RT available IMHO

Round 3 Cornerback or Running Back - Best pass rusher avail.  The more the merrier!

Round 4 Running Back or Cornerback - Best CB avail.

Round 4 WR (yes, I am going there... Dorsett has been a disappointment). - RB.  Running games are de-emphasized and a good one can be had this late.  Jordan Howard was a 5th rounder this last draft!

Round 5 Best OLine Available (Preferably RG potential) - Best player avail.

After the draft we see what's left in FA and SPEND WISELY.

Beyond that it's too difficult to tell with all the changes that may happen.

That all makes sense and isn't really incompatible with my views.  A player here or there is all.  Very reasonable. 

14 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Beckwith MLB- LSU 

Hatcher WR- Arkansas  (late rounds like a 5th)

A Michigan State LB or Clemson LB 

3 RB's as I'd imagine Frank is retiring this season 

And for the love of all things please find Vontae a CB buddy 

Ah... names.. that's always nice.  Doesn't Michigan have a really good Inside LB? 

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would also like to point out that at this point in his career Reggie Wayne was thought to be a wasted draft pick.  I also see the similarity between he and Dorsett in that both were considered "luxury picks" and we needed players at other positions.  Both were selected in the 20's, and both were from the U.  They aren't necessarily the same type of WR, but they do share similarities.  Reggie came around and they found better ways to use him.  Also, he and Peyton had better communication and timing as they went on.  By year 4 Reg was a stud.  I could see the same of Dorsett IF he and Luck work together and IF the coaching staff can get him into better positions/formations that will utilize his talents.  I believe he is NOT a wasted pick, and I believe if we let him go he would become one of those guys we wished we had back (a la Hughes).  I just think it's too early to call this one.  And if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

You may be right, which is why I stated that any WR drafted needed to be #4 at worst... after our top 3 now.  

9 hours ago, FACE REALITY said:

good post

Thanks... much better than a punch in the face.  I really just wanted to talk about something hopeful on our team versus the downer that our current season has become.  Did you have any thoughts on what you would do? 

8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Moved to Draft and Free Agency section

Sorry... I don't think I have even been here since the season started and didn't even think about it, though obviously not many others are viewing this section either.  

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know what you mean how can you get excited with the possibility of this dingbat making the picks. He's already blown 3 of his 5 first rounders. I'd be terrified if he was picking top 5.

I doubt we'll be top 5, and if we are, he won't be the guy doing the picking, so there's that.  I figure we'll end up between 6-10 and 8-8.  

20 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The idea is what would YOU do.  That's the only point.  I am curious to hear what you guys would do if it were up to you? 

Oh if that's the case I'd do the following:

Predicting a top 15 or higher pick for us

Round 1: Pass rusher, DL, Fallback: Fournette or Cook

I don't see any top tier CBs that are worthy of being taken where Ramsey and Hargreaves went last year but there's a bunch of great pass rushers. Garrett, Harris, Smoot, and Barnett are all viable. DL is the next priority because Parry isn't good and Ridgeway hasn't proven anything. Malik McDowell is a freak and would instantly upgrade the line. I also like Jabril Peppers to convert to LB or Raekwon McMillian at ILB. The fallback option if the defensive depth isn't there is Fournette or Cooke.

Round 2: Pass Rusher, CB, and LB

Fallback: Royce Freeman at RB

Have to double dip at LB at at some point. Carl Lawson could be here due to injuries and would pair up nicely with whatever pass rusher we got round 1. CB class is weak but I'd look at Sidney Jones, Desmond King, or Tre'Davious White here. This is also where the ILBs like Walker, Davis from Florida, and Cunningham come into play. They are coverage guys. 

Freeman is a do everything back that prevents you from having to draft 1 traditional RB and one scat back. You take him if the defensive depth isn't good. 

Round 3: LB and RB

The LB depth is still good here. Jalen Reeves Maybin is a stud LB who excels in coverage and Kendell Beckwith is an option as well. But ideally this is where we get our RB. And an idea I've been playing with that I want your guy's opinion on is getting 2 RBs. I'm thinking James Connor could fall to round 4. I've thought about getting a guy like Gallman round 3 and then getting Connor in the 4th. 

Round 4: CB, DL, RB

I had Cameron Sutton here in a mock draft I did last week. I think some CBs with high upside will still be here. We could possibly upgrade NT here. Lowell Loutelei might be here as well as Montravious Adams. We should have 2 4ths so we could rack up here

I want us to get a superstar, double digit sack EDGE rusher in the 1st, and then ILB and RB in the 2nd and 3rd. Then after that another EDGE rusher, CB, DT, and another RB.

1 EDGE

2 ILB

3 RB

4 EDGE

4 CB

5 RB

6 DT

6 WR

^^^^^.....If the right guys are there I'd like this

45 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I want us to get a superstar, double digit sack EDGE rusher in the 1st, and then ILB and RB in the 2nd and 3rd. Then after that another EDGE rusher, CB, DT, and another RB.

1 EDGE

2 ILB

3 RB

4 EDGE

4 CB

5 RB

6 DT

6 WR

A great best case scenario for that would be to land Smoot in the 1st after a trade down for multiple picks. Then in the 2nd get LB Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt to play ILB since he is very rangy and can cover and hit. Then in the 3rd hopefully Royce Freeman falls to them due to the immense talent at RB in the draft. I'm guessing they'll be picking right around top 13 in the draft. 

On 10/20/2016 at 0:30 PM, COLTS449 said:

1 EDGE

2 ILB

3 RB

4 EDGE

4 CB

5 RB

6 DT

6 WR

I like it but not sure about 2 RB's? 

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I like it but not sure about 2 RB's? 

Thunder and lightning baby!!!! Gore will be gone. We can get a stud RB early. Its a deep class for RB's. Then getting a good back to compliment him in the mid rounds seems ideal to me. I'd like for our Defense to get an infusion of young talent first though. Then maybe we can get a 1-2 punch at RB like Atlanta has in Coleman and Free. But another reason I want us to double up at RB is the fact that its such a deep class and we could get another really good back in the 4th or 5th. Look at Jordan Howard and Devontae Booker this year. Howard was a 5th, not sure about Booker, cant remember.

We have so many defensive needs that as much as I want two RB's out of this class,   I don't want to spend two picks out of the top 5 rounds.

I'd like to pick a RB in the 3rd and get the 2nd back in the 6th.     Will there be a better back available in the 5th?   Sure,  no question.    But we have so many defensive needs that a 2nd back that high in the draft feels like a luxury we can't afford.

This is a great class of RB's.     I really, really do want a 2nd back from this group.   I just don't want to get too greedy.      I'm now just fanatical about building a defense.     

The Colts don't really properly commit to a running game so we should be fine with Gore next year and a good rookie from the 3rd round. I'd like a draft something like:

1st: OLB 

2nd: ILB

3rd: RB

4th: CB

4th: ILB

5th: WR

6th: NT

6th: DE

I hoping we can make one big free agent signing too on defense, a player like Nick Perry or Melvin Ingram would be huge in getting a play maker on 3rd down. 

Cornerback would be one position I wouldn't mind taking taking in the 1st round. Obviously linebacker is our weakest position group but Robinson is bad at CB2 and Vontae's contract will be up after next season, in which he will turn 30. I would expect we resign him but a long term view at cornerback will need to be taken soon by the front office also in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

The Colts don't really properly commit to a running game so we should be fine with Gore next year and a good rookie from the 3rd round. I'd like a draft something like:

1st: OLB 

2nd: ILB

3rd: RB

4th: CB

4th: ILB

5th: WR

6th: NT

6th: DE

I hoping we can make one big free agent signing too on defense, a player like Nick Perry or Melvin Ingram would be huge in getting a play maker on 3rd down. 

Cornerback would be one position I wouldn't mind taking taking in the 1st round. Obviously linebacker is our weakest position group but Robinson is bad at CB2 and Vontae's contract will be up after next season, in which he will turn 30. I would expect we resign him but a long term view at cornerback will need to be taken soon by the front office also in my opinion. 

True, but we can't fix it all in one year and really think we need 4 new starters at LB on this team next year and hope they can keep Walden, perhaps to start initially, but then offer us depth at the position.  Obviously he'd have to be affordable as he's not really a starting quality OLB.  

On 10/27/2016 at 11:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We have so many defensive needs that as much as I want two RB's out of this class,   I don't want to spend two picks out of the top 5 rounds.

I'd like to pick a RB in the 3rd and get the 2nd back in the 6th.     Will there be a better back available in the 5th?   Sure,  no question.    But we have so many defensive needs that a 2nd back that high in the draft feels like a luxury we can't afford.

This is a great class of RB's.     I really, really do want a 2nd back from this group.   I just don't want to get too greedy.      I'm now just fanatical about building a defense.     

I thinkbI mentioned earlier that James Connor is a guy that could fall as well as Nick Chubb. Maybe even Samaje Perrine. So you could go Wayne Gallman in the 3rd and maybe Connor in the 5th-6th. Bunch of quality RBs will be available.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thinkbI mentioned earlier that James Connor is a guy that could fall as well as Nick Chubb. Maybe even Samaje Perrine. So you could go Wayne Gallman in the 3rd and maybe Connor in the 5th-6th. Bunch of quality RBs will be available.

I'm not certain I follow your post.

Chubb is a 2nd round guy for most everyone.      Did you mean to see him, or were you thinking of someone else?

I don't think Perine or Connor fall past the 4th round.      That's my view of it for right now.

I don't see any of them as 5th or 6th round guys.     Way too low.

I think the guys I'm thinking of for the 6th round will either be a starter from a smaller school,  or a quality back-up from a larger school...

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not certain I follow your post.

Chubb is a 2nd round guy for most everyone.      Did you mean to see him, or were you thinking of someone else?

I don't think Perine or Connor fall past the 4th round.      That's my view of it for right now.

I don't see any of them as 5th or 6th round guys.     Way too low.

I think the guys I'm thinking of for the 6th round will either be a starter from a smaller school,  or a quality back-up from a larger school...

Well there are injury concerns with  Chubb as he's missed a game or two this season. Plus he's slowed down. That's what I'm hearing about Chubb so I could see him falling.

Connor has also slowed his production and has some nagging injuries that could drop him. And I've heard people question his ability to be more than just a bruising power back