Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts turn it around this season?

Smoke317

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

We should beat the packers, jets and raiders.

AR and the packers will shred our crappy D we made Hoyer and Osweiler look like all pros. What do you think a real all pro will do to them. The Raiders weapons will more then likely have big days too. Mack will sack the hell out of Luck. The only reason we didn't get destroyed by Rivers is cause he was missing all his weapons.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

AR and the packers will shred our crappy D we made Hoyer and Osweiler look like all pros. What do you think a real all pro will do to them. The Raiders weapons will more then likely have big days too. Mack will sack the hell out of Luck. The only reason we didn't get destroyed by Rivers is cause he was missing all his weapons.

Rivers did leave a lot of plays on the field with overthrows and just flat out missed throws. Kinda the same thing Osweiler was doing last game. Guess I'll just have to accept the hard truth that our defense is trash because our linebackers can't get any pressure or cover anyone. In all seriousness, I can't even remember the last time our pass rush was this inept.  This may be the worst we've ever had. Might be time to just say the hell with it and start blitzing like crazy???

48 minutes ago, runthepost said:

We haven't played anyone really good yet that's why we have been hanging in games

Thank you!! I'm sick of seeing the "we have been in every game" excuse. We have literally struggled to stay in the game against teams like the Jags Bears Lions and Texans and QB'S like Osweiler and Hoyer. It's sad and it's a damn good thing we don't play the pats this season Tom would decapitate us.

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Rivers did leave a lot of plays on the field with overthrows and just flat out missed throws. Kinda the same thing Osweiler was doing last game. Guess I'll just have to accept the hard truth that our defense is trash because our linebackers can't get any pressure or cover anyone. In all seriousness, I can't even remember the last time our pass rush was this inept.  This may be the worst we've ever had. Might be time to just say the hell with it and start blitzing like crazy???

Your exactly right they were making stupid mistakes and sadly for us Brock got it together and tore our D apart in the 4th. Rivers was missing Gates and his #1 WR Allen if he would of had Gates he would have owned our linebackers. In all honesty our 2 wins are cause the other team beat themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Your exactly right they were making stupid mistakes and sadly for us Brock got it together and tore our D apart in the 4th. Rivers was missing Gates and his #1 WR Allen if he would of had Gates he would have owned our linebackers. In all honesty our 2 wins are cause the other team beat themselves. 

Sadly, it's looking that way.  Our offense would literally have to play flawless ball game in and game out to cover for our defense. 

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Hey, I'm glad my first post got 20 replies so far. Now I officially feel like a member of the Colts Fan Forum. Thanks for the interest guys. 

I'm really torn about this team. I understand how some of us Colts fans can say we would be better off with a high draft pick and get a difference making pass rusher. There's sound logic in that line of thought. Also, it "could" lead to a coaching/front office change. I just have very little faith in Pagano but the fan in me wants us to win every game every year.  So if Chuck can turn it around and get us to the promised land, I'm all for it. Plus we should have a lot of cap room and could still bring in some quality defenders.

I noticed guys mentioned teams just last year who rebounded from 2-4 starts and made the playoffs. We certainly have the QB and offensive pieces to do it. Plus our division isn't all that either. Also a few of the SB champions weren't dominant but got hot and rode that hot streak to win it all. The Steelers (who stole our SB) and both Giants teams come to mind.  

Like someone said, maybe Mathis should announce his retirement and see if it lights a spark in our guys...  At worst we'd have to finish 7-3 to get in with none of those losses coming in the division. I'm making the trip down to Tennessee this Sunday.  Hope I can bring us some good luck and come back with a win. If not, I'll concede it's over and it's definitely time to start looking for a top 2 pick to get Garrett

That's my werewolf target #1.

We can salvage this.

A win over Tennessee and a Denver win over Houston puts us 1 game out of first..

Looking down the road..obviously we need to beat Houston and Jacksonville in the rematches in Indy and we need to sweep the Titans.

What else..    assuming losses to Green Bay and Minnesota we need to beat Pittsburgh which, if Ben does not play, is more likely than possible..

....9-7 can win the AFC South.

and anybody who makes the post-season has a chance to win it all

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We can salvage this.

A win over Tennessee and a Denver win over Houston puts us 1 game out of first..

Looking down the road..obviously we need to beat Houston and Jacksonville in the rematches in Indy and we need to sweep the Titans.

What else..    assuming losses to Green Bay and Minnesota we need to beat Pittsburgh which, if Ben does not play, is more likely than possible..

....9-7 can win the AFC South.

and anybody who makes the post-season has a chance to win it all

If Old Uncle Mark is down with it, then I'm down with it!

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think we can win in a shoot out with all three of them and the packers haven't been as good this year plus lacy is hurt.

If we couldn't win a shootout at home vs a bad Detroit team when we actually had all our receiving core, I'm not confident we can win a shootout vs anyone. Let alone a shootout when the other teams are found to be rushing Khahlil Mack or ClayMatthews/Julius Peppers 

One thing that people forget is that the Colts have not had their starters on the field at the same time. Their starting secondary, o line and d line have yet to play together for more than a game. Add the inexperience of Morrison, Swoop, Green and Ferguson and it's easy to see why they are struggling. I'll wait until they get healthy and play together for 2 or 3 games to pass judgment on this year's team. We have yet to see them at their best. It's a little premature to say the season is over.

17 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

One thing that people forget is that the Colts have not had their starters on the field at the same time. Their starting secondary, o line and d line have yet to play together for more than a game. Add the inexperience of Morrison, Swoop, Green and Ferguson and it's easy to see why they are struggling. I'll wait until they get healthy and play together for 2 or 3 games to pass judgment on this year's team. We have yet to see them at their best. It's a little premature to say the season is over.

Seriously forgettable post that is true!

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I concur

14 hours ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

Realistically only a 1% chance of turning it around. Worst team in the division. Tough schedule ahead. I would rather see them tear the team down and start over-it kinda needs to be that way at this point - if that happens atleast all the losses would be easier to swallow cuz the expectations would be lower( currently it's hard to watch,find myself thankful for nfl sunday ticket ).

Right now, historically/statistically speaking, we have a 9% chance.  

The nfl does appear to have a strange process for choosing the high draft picks and it must make it difficult for team management to decide what to do for the rest of the season.

Accept the season is over and build for next season or plug away and try their best to get at least a winning season.

i would always want my team to be as successful as possible but I can understand the other viewpoint as well.

quite a quandary 

On 10/19/2016 at 5:18 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

I feel like it should be pointed out that lots of fans from other teams say this about their team. I've seen lots of Chargers and Browns fans say this.

And lots of fans from other teams are ready to give up on the season. Does that make either true?                                                                       The level of play of the linebacking group has been below average,  some of that may be experience. TJ Green, for instance,and Morrison, Morrison looks lost at times, but if he gets some playing time,and is able to just react, it may help the run d at least. If the Colts can eliminate mental mistakes, get healthy and good enough play from their backups until key starters get the Colts can make a run for it. we shall see.....

Offensively, yes.  we have a VERY good overall offense.  The o-line is run blocking well, and our passing game is good.  a few tweeks here and there, and this offense can be great.

Defensively..no.  until we can stop the run consistantly and find a way to get pressure on the qb a lot more often, QB's are going to have time to pick our secondary apart likey've done all year.

14 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I don't want them to turn things around. 

On 10/19/2016 at 1:35 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

The only thing we can do now is make our draft pick worse the playoffs are out of sight 

On 10/19/2016 at 4:47 AM, AZColt11 said:

Could they still win the division?  Sure.  This division is up for grabs.  The REAL question is do we want them to?  And do what, get blown out in the playoffs by a REAL team?  Then settle for the next 20-something draft pick again and watch a top-flight stud pass-rusher light it up for another team?  I'm done with that.  If there is no legitimate chance to get to the Superbowl, what is the point if you can't get draft picks that have a chance to make the difference the next year?  Then you are essentially insane, doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results.  I'm not so sure I WANT them to win the division right now.  They have no business doing so really.

Fans who speak like this burn me.

No fan should WANT there team to loose just for draft picks.  Especially when your team has been historicly good in the recent past and have a reputation of winning.  If they loose, then they lshould loose fighting tooth and nail.  At least THIS is honorable and worthy of a real fan base. Be proud to be a Colts fan and support them when things are not going well, Not boo-hoo and beg to loose to get better draft picks. >.<

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No fan should WANT there team to loose just for draft picks.  Especially when your team has been historicly good in the recent past and have a reputation of winning.  Be proud to be a Colts fan and support them when things are not going well, Not boo-hoo and beg to loose to get better draft picks. >.<

^ This.... So much this....

On 10/19/2016 at 2:52 AM, Smoke317 said:

This is my very first topic. Forgive me if someone has already made a topic covering this. But can we realistically turn it around this season and get in the playoffs?

I am a diehard fan and hate to see the team lose and struggle and I'm not ready to give up on this season just yet. I know we're very flawed and lacking talent and experience on both sides of the ball but we've been in every game we've played this year with a chance to win every one of them.  I believe that if our Oline continues to improve and we can get a taste of winning anything is possible.  My biggest concern outside of our coaches is our nonexistent pass rush and our lack of talent in our linebacking corp in general. Also now, we're gonna be without Moncrief, Dorsett, and Allen for a week or more.  Are these recent injuries on offense the proverbial nail in our coffin this season?  

Or just like Rogers has given us something can Smith, Swoope, and Coffman step in and help fill the void till our injured playmakers return?  Or is our remaining schedule to daunting and our coaches too inept to right this ship?  I don't see any world beaters on our remaining schedule besides maybe the Steelers (our nemesis but if the Dolphins can beat them why can't we?) and the Vikings (who for some reason don't strike fear in my heart offensively and it should be a close game if we play well).  So can a turnaround happen or is this gonna be back to back miserable seasons?

yes i think this team can come back im a die hard colts fan as well 

44 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No fan should WANT there team to loose just for draft picks.  Especially when your team has been historicly good in the recent past and have a reputation of winning.  If they loose, then they lshould loose fighting tooth and nail.  At least THIS is honorable and worthy of a real fan base. Be proud to be a Colts fan and support them when things are not going well, Not boo-hoo and beg to loose to get better draft picks. >.<

If you look at the recent past, the only reason there was a history of winning is because the team was bad and got high draft picks.  Unfortunately, we are in a position where we have a highly paid QB surrounded by a bunch of crap and bad coaching. 

It would have been much better had the team not made the playoffs in the first 2 seasons and gotten higher draft picks. That benefited Manning greatly because we were able to surround him with talent in those drafts. This team can fight tooth and nail all they want but the talent is not there. 

This team is in rebuilding mode again due to poor management and talent evaluation. If losing now is what it takes to get rid of this regime and get talent on this team that can give us a good 10 year run of success them I'm all for it. 

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

And lots of fans from other teams are ready to give up on the season. Does that make either true?                                                                       The level of play of the linebacking group has been below average,  some of that may be experience. TJ Green, for instance,and Morrison, Morrison looks lost at times, but if he gets some playing time,and is able to just react, it may help the run d at least. If the Colts can eliminate mental mistakes, get healthy and good enough play from their backups until key starters get the Colts can make a run for it. we shall see.....

Yeah, that's pretty much the point I was trying to make, that it's all opinion. I just thought you stated pretty matter of factly in your other post that we were a better team despite our record and what other fans may think.

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

If you look at the recent past, the only reason there was a history of winning is because the team was bad and got high draft picks.  Unfortunately, we are in a position where we have a highly paid QB surrounded by a bunch of crap and bad coaching. 

It would have been much better had the team not made the playoffs in the first 2 seasons and gotten higher draft picks. That benefited Manning greatly because we were able to surround him with talent in those drafts. This team can fight tooth and nail all they want but the talent is not there. 

This team is in rebuilding mode again due to poor management and talent evaluation. If losing now is what it takes to get rid of this regime and get talent on this team that can give us a good 10 year run of success them I'm all for it. 

Exactly we want them to lose so we can turn it around faster. If you fight tooth and nail every year with crap talent then you get no where and take forever to improve. We waste year after year with Luck and that is NOT something I wanna support. Who the hell wants to sit back and watch us waste one of the best QBs career year after year. You suck it up and have bad season and you get to pick in the top of every round and get good players to help you get to a super bowl. Some fans act like if you have a high draft pick then it's the end of the world and we won't ever be good again.

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Well fans who are ok with getting blown out by good teams year after year and don't see the benefit of having one bad year to help get back to being successful really burn me so it's all good.

I also love when you all throw around the words real fan too like I'm not a real fan. Lol I love this damn team I'm just smart enough to see the benefits of having one bad year when the team is already bad. We will already be picking high and missing the playoffs so why not get a little higher to get into the even better players that are really game changers as rookies. 

If it looked like there was a shred of hope for our D, I would be on board with the "we can turn it around and win the division" idea. Our O looks like we can put up 30+ just about any week we can put it together. But our D has given us no idea that they can actually run with anybody, tackle anybody, cover anybody or rush the passer.

On 10/19/2016 at 6:02 PM, colts_100nascar17fan said:

Realistically only a 1% chance of turning it around. Worst team in the division. Tough schedule ahead. I would rather see them tear the team down and start over-it kinda needs to be that way at this point - if that happens atleast all the losses would be easier to swallow cuz the expectations would be lower( currently it's hard to watch,find myself thankful for nfl sunday ticket ).

worst team in division? its the only team with a star QB.

no worse than top 2 if it gets bad..but it wont get that bad by seasons end

16 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well fans who are ok with getting blown out by good teams year after year and don't see the benefit of having one bad year to help get back to being successful really burn me so it's all good.

I also love when you all throw around the words real fan too like I'm not a real fan. Lol I love this damn team I'm just smart enough to see the benefits of having one bad year when the team is already bad. We will already be picking high and missing the playoffs so why not get a little higher to get into the even better players that are really game changers as rookies. 

I never said you were not a real fan.  But no-one should want a team to tank a season. not on purpose.  You act like the entire team is horrible but reality is this:

#1: our running attack is fine for now.  Gore averages 4.3 ypc and is 8th in NFL leading rushers. (we need to aquire a young stud at some point tho)

#2: our passing attack is fine. 262.8 yards/game is ranked 12th.

#3: total offence puts up 26.7 points/game. that's good for 7th in NFL. (and we've played the some of best defences in the NFL too boot)

#4: our D-line is pretty decent.  most of the time they hold thier assignments and someone from the line is in the play getting in the backfield to pressure a QB, or fighting a double team (which is their job to accupy 2 guys for the LB's.)

#5: our secondary is pretty decent.  Vonte shuts down big time recievers for most of games.  and our safeties can crack heads and be where they are needed when they are needed. Butler has been great when he's played. We have not had a chance to really evaluate Robinson due to #6...

#6: our REAL weak point on the team.  Out side of Walden, our linebacker play has not  been bad, it has been attrotious.  Unable to get penetration when called for, which gives the qb WAY too much time to pick our secondary apart.  unable to watch Rb's and Te's and cover them in the open field. (maybe ayers, he's done decent in the limited time i've seen him). And the tackling has been bad all around the LB corps. Even D.Q. missed tackles he normally does not.   THIS is where we need 3 picks from the draft this coming year.  (and a 2nd or 3rd RD. RB also.)  We need youth of true talent in the LBing corps.  

The pass rushers in last draft were not very good, so i won't be upset about not getting one last time, the need to be gotten next time though.  Along with solid inside Backers as well.  

So as i point out, the ship is NOT sinking, it just has a REALLY big hole in it.  The higher draft pick won't help that much, but GOOD drafting of what you have sure can.  So I say fight hard...play your best, and see where the cards may fall, you might even get surprised.  But tanking on purpose for a few spots on a draft board is outright offensive and poor sportsmanship.  You think the Brown (who have gotten a top 10 pick in nearly every draft in recent years) would trade that now for some self respect of atleast being middle pack team? 

29 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I never said you were not a real fan.  But no-one should want a team to tank a season. not on purpose.  You act like the entire team is horrible but reality is this:

#1: our running attack is fine for now.  Gore averages 4.3 ypc and is 8th in NFL leading rushers. (we need to aquire a young stud at some point tho)

#2: our passing attack is fine. 262.8 yards/game is ranked 12th.

#3: total offence puts up 26.7 points/game. that's good for 7th in NFL. (and we've played the some of best defences in the NFL too boot)

#4: our D-line is pretty decent.  most of the time they hold thier assignments and someone from the line is in the play getting in the backfield to pressure a QB, or fighting a double team (which is their job to accupy 2 guys for the LB's.)

#5: our secondary is pretty decent.  Vonte shuts down big time recievers for most of games.  and our safeties can crack heads and be where they are needed when they are needed. Butler has been great when he's played. We have not had a chance to really evaluate Robinson due to #6...

#6: our REAL weak point on the team.  Out side of Walden, our linebacker play has not  been bad, it has been attrotious.  Unable to get penetration when called for, which gives the qb WAY too much time to pick our secondary apart.  unable to watch Rb's and Te's and cover them in the open field. (maybe ayers, he's done decent in the limited time i've seen him). And the tackling has been bad all around the LB corps. Even D.Q. missed tackles he normally does not.   THIS is where we need 3 picks from the draft this coming year.  (and a 2nd or 3rd RD. RB also.)  We need youth of true talent in the LBing corps.  

The pass rushers in last draft were not very good, so i won't be upset about not getting one last time, the need to be gotten next time though.  Along with solid inside Backers as well.  

So as i point out, the ship is NOT sinking, it just has a REALLY big hole in it.  The higher draft pick won't help that much, but GOOD drafting of what you have sure can.  So I say fight hard...play your best, and see where the cards may fall, you might even get surprised.  But tanking on purpose for a few spots on a draft board is outright offensive and poor sportsmanship.  You think the Brown (who have gotten a top 10 pick in nearly every draft in recent years) would trade that now for some self respect of atleast being middle pack team? 

The Browns aren't a good team for one reason and one reason only, they can't get a decent qb. We have a franchise QB, so the excuses people give here that we can miss just as easy on early round picks as late rounders in the 1st (which is a lie), and these other teams like the Jags have had top 10 picks for years and they aren't any good (because they don't have a great qb and didn't have one at all before 2014) are absolute crap. We have Luck, we went 11-5 the first 3 seasons. Yes, that was overacheiving, but it showed what Luck was capable of. Put a few high quality players on defense on this team, and we'll be back to 11-5 records and possibly making waves in the playoffs. Our situation is different than the bottom tier of teams. We have a QB, we don't have the players around him. That's why you get a top 5-10 pick this year, to get those players around him for the sake of our future and Luck's future.

Stay down champ. This year isn't your year.

Massive defensive liabilities.

An already talent poor roster, even more so considering the injuries we've been hit with

Poor coaching

Poor personnel decisions

Extremely poor defensive game-planning

What feels like a huge culture problem from the top down.

We are at least 1 front office and coaching overhaul and at least 2/3 good drafts from being competitive again imho.

57 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Stay down champ. This year isn't your year.

Massive defensive liabilities.

An already talent poor roster, even more so considering the injuries we've been hit with

Poor coaching

Poor personnel decisions

Extremely poor defensive game-planning

What feels like a huge culture problem from the top down.

We are at least 1 front office and coaching overhaul and at least 2/3 good drafts from being competitive again imho.

Well put! The Colts have severe performance problems, but, we have no way of evaluating our actual talent level due to all the other issues masking. The needed overhaul and hanging the culture of the team will take at least 3 years, maybe more, assuming it can ever be done. Very sad.