Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4th and 1 and you throw to stone hands

GusBus24

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the pass play on 4th and 1 was totally imprudent. But more importantly, why was the first timeout of the second half wasted? I wish I had the game recorded so I could rewind and watch again. Unless I'm mistaken, the first time out of the second half was called late in the game (before the two minute warning) on a dead play when the clock was not running. At this stage in the game, time was already a crucial factor. Why was this time out squandered? Am I missing something? It did not appear to be an injury time out. The first time out just kind of disappeared and we desperately needed it in the end.

46 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

4th and 1 and you throw to Allen who can't catch a cold! Where is Gore? Why didn't Luck step forward one yard? Terrible coaching! 

I love Andrew but that's a mistake he made..you cant call that coaching..hes got to go get that yard.

..and I'd have check into a set where the QB wa s over center on 4th-and-1

19 minutes ago, Peyton1816 said:

I agree that the pass play on 4th and 1 was totally imprudent. But more importantly, why was the first timeout of the second half wasted? I wish I had the game recorded so I could rewind and watch again. Unless I'm mistaken, the first time out of the second half was called late in the game (before the two minute warning) on a dead play when the clock was not running. At this stage in the game, time was already a crucial factor. Why was this time out squandered? Am I missing something? It did not appear to be an injury time out. The first time out just kind of disappeared and we desperately needed it in the end.

The timeout was used after a 2nd down run on the Jags drive before our 4th down disaster. It did not disappear and it was a necessary TO to keep them from running the clock. And, time was not an issue. If we got the 1st down on that 4th down play, as we should have, then we had more than enough time.

10 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

The timeout was used after a 2nd down run on the Jags drive before our 4th down disaster. It did not disappear and it was a necessary TO to keep them from running the clock. And, time was not an issue. If we got the 1st down on that 4th down play, as we should have, then we had more than enough time.

We had the 2 minute warning coming up didn't we? I wish I could re-wind the film. I don't think we needed to use that timeout. I'm pretty sure it was called when the clock was stopped. Can someone please check the film and chime in?

As far as the 4th and 1 play, you don't call a pass play on that down. You run the football with Gore. If you you're going to pass (which you shouldn't), you run a a simple screen pass. Don't blame Luck for the 4th and 1 unless Luck decided to run that play.

1 hour ago, Peyton1816 said:

We had the 2 minute warning coming up didn't we? I wish I could re-wind the film. I don't think we needed to use that timeout. I'm pretty sure it was called when the clock was stopped. Can someone please check the film and chime in?

As far as the 4th and 1 play, you don't call a pass play on that down. You run the football with Gore. If you you're going to pass (which you shouldn't), you run a a simple screen pass. Don't blame Luck for the 4th and 1 unless Luck decided to run that play.

The timeout was used perfectly. It was NOT called when the clock was stopped. Another 40 seconds would have run off had the TO not been made. We had 2 timeouts, plus the 2 minute warning, and about 2:30 left to drive the field to either win or tie the game. The timeout usage was FINE. That's often an issue with this coaching staff but not this week.

The 4 & 1 play call was atrocious but that doesn't take away the fact that Luck's decision making was bad once the ball was snapped.

Edit: The timeout was taken at 2:45 with clock running after a 2nd down run. Not taking a timeout there would have been *ic. On 3rd down they threw an incomplete pass which saved us from using another TO. 

2 hours ago, GusBus24 said:

4th and 1 and you throw to Allen who can't catch a cold! Where is Gore? Why didn't Luck step forward one yard? Terrible coaching! 

They might have thought that with a pass they could gain more yards, not just one. On the other hand they could keep the play alive.

I'm not defending anyone, I was mad when saw Luck throwing instead of taking 2 steps.

He took it when we was running low on play clock 

I felt like Luck could have picked up that yard without risking a throw to anyone. This team is a head scratcher as is Luck at times. I'm just not sure we will have a real team this season unless some of them catch fire near the end and the new defensive coach clicks as well as better offensive starts. What a rough season to have to watch so far. 

Mathis is a wasted starting spot for the youth to gain snaps. Cromartie is just not a good starter and may be best suited for spot duty only. The first time I see someone get any jam on the WR will be the first time. What is up with the passive defensive play? I am almost wanting the team to hire Ray Lewis in order to coach in some toughness to this team. Wow, I expected some aggressiveness to this defense but I am not seeing it so far. 

Who thinks "aw shucks guys" was used in our post game discussion? 

13 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

No.

The timeout was taken at 2:45 with clock running after a 2nd down run by the Jags.

The timeout was used exactly as it should have been.

He is talking about the first time out I believe, not the second and third one

The timeouts were used correctly in this game. The one you are referring to was in answer to a jags running play. The clock WAS RUNNING.

Ouch just watched the highlights that last play luck definitely screwed he didn't even go through his progressions because if he did he would've saw the free release Hilton got and how open he was corner was 5 yards off Ty...and the dline wasn't even coming fast enough for him to be "CRUSHED" going for 1 yard so I don't know why some are saying he would've been hit short of the first 

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The ball was swatted away.  Had nothing to do with allens hands.   It was a terrible formation and terrible play call

Not so much bad formation of you look on right side of play Hilton is wide open luck just focused solely on the left side of the field didn't go through progressions but playcall is foolish for sure bro

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

That was on Luck, get the first down and then deal with everything after. He had the first down easily and that costs us the game (at that point)

this was a horrible excuse of a game for the Colts 

What cost us the game was Allen not catching the ball period you touch the ball you better catch it simple as that.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I felt like Luck could have picked up that yard without risking a throw to anyone. This team is a head scratcher as is Luck at times. I'm just not sure we will have a real team this season unless some of them catch fire near the end and the new defensive coach clicks as well as better offensive starts. What a rough season to have to watch so far. 

Mathis is a wasted starting spot for the youth to gain snaps. Cromartie is just not a good starter and may be best suited for spot duty only. The first time I see someone get any jam on the WR will be the first time. What is up with the passive defensive play? I am almost wanting the team to hire Ray Lewis in order to coach in some toughness to this team. Wow, I expected some aggressiveness to this defense but I am not seeing it so far. 

Who thinks "aw shucks guys" was used in our post game discussion? 

This!

Luck could EASILY have gotten a yard all the way up to the split second he threw it instead of just running for the yard.  I watched the play over and over and it was literally EASY for him to have gotten that yard running.  Certainly the worst decision and play of his career. 

32 minutes ago, will426 said:

Not so much bad formation of you look on right side of play Hilton is wide open luck just focused solely on the left side of the field didn't go through progressions but playcall is foolish for sure bro

You don't know what the progression was.   Allen was open,   He just held it a split second too long.   I think you either qb sneak there,   or pound it .   Not get cute with a shot gun formation with Ferguson in the back field

25 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

This!

Luck could EASILY have gotten a yard all the way up to the split second he threw it instead of just running for the yard.  I watched the play over and over and it was literally EASY for him to have gotten that yard running.  Certainly the worst decision and play of his career. 

Also nonsense.

Luck should have just ran for the yard and he would have gotten it.  They had their opportunities.  I feel like when they are down(which is 90% of the time) in the 4th qtr the coaching staff just let's Luck stand back there and throw.  Once they started letting him do that they scored all of their points.  I understand you need to be balanced but why wait until the 4th qtr?  This loss and the loss to the Lions are two pretty tough losses.  The defense is bad and the play calling needs to be better on offense.  I may be one of the only one's but I am not giving up on the season quite yet.

15 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Predictable dismissive contrarian pablum with zero substance to back up the snarkiness. Are the "Don't feed the troll" emoticons starving your originality? 

That wasn't even close to the worst play in his career.    Do you have the same problem as Drew Barrymore in 50 first dates?

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

Whats nonsense about it its the truth that defender barely touched Allen's arm and he dropped a perfect pass that is terrible a guy making 30 million and cant catch a cold.

He didn't hit his arm,  He hit the ball.   Also,   He isn't making 30 million.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That wasn't even close to the worst play in his career.    Do you have the same problem as Drew Barrymore in 50 first dates?

Well, it was a turnover.  It lost us the game.  It was something he alone could have successfully achieved but chose not to rather than being stopped by anyone.  I can't think of any other single plays that met all of those above criteria.  

And I don't make a habit of using, as my only argument, Drew Barrymore movies no matter the subject.  All this time I thought you were an adult male.  I apologize if I made a mistake.  Some would think Drew Barrymore film obsessions, you know where you actually love the film so much you use it to try and win a football disagreement, is the real "problem."  So no, I don't think I have any problem that a Drew Barrymore film would compare to, unless she was dealing with multiple near fatal illnesses? Outside of that, I'll just assume once again you wanted to disagree, attempt a weak personal attack on me for whatever reason and failed at it as you so often do.  

Apparently a troll gotta be a troll.