Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL ratings have declined each week this year

Happy2BeHere

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are 100% correct. If the media would just stick to football and football related things it might make the ratings go up? Who knows? TV quit showing fans running out onto the field so the ones who wanted the attention didn't get the TV audience giving it to them. They said it detracted from the game. They should do the same thing with most of this non football stuff too.

IMO there is a time and place to make any statement you want but not at the expense of a game that is suppose to be an enjoyment and a place to forget about life's everyday problems. Now the media has a new attention grabber themselves.

Frankly, I think the media uses a flawed business model.   They don't want great ratings, they want continued growth in ratings.  Once a show hits its a plateau, they inevitably begin introducing trashy soap opera stuff to try to capture a new demographic and increase ratings.  If they would just stick to broadcasting football, they would have a popular product year after year, albeit with flat ratings.

Jerry Seinfeld said one of the reasons his show lasted so long was that there was never a message attached to the show.  it was a show about nothing.  If it was run by typical Hollywood people, after a while, Elaine would get pregnant by her boss, tackle the abortion issue; George would be battling substance abuse, etc..  If you noticed, comparing the first Seinfeld episode to the last episode over about 15 years, the characters were in exactly the same place in life.  With a typical media/Hollywood person running the show, each character would have been married and divorced three times with kids trying to find their gender identity. 

The media broadcasting the NFL needs to just stick to what the product is and leave it at that.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Frankly, I think the media uses a flawed business model.   They don't want great ratings, they want continued growth in ratings.  Once a show hits its a plateau, they inevitably begin introducing trashy soap opera stuff to try to capture a new demographic and increase ratings.  If they would just stick to broadcasting football, they would have a popular product year after year, albeit with flat ratings.

Jerry Seinfeld said one of the reasons his show lasted so long was that there was never a message attached to the show.  it was a show about nothing.  If it was run by typical Hollywood people, after a while, Elaine would get pregnant by her boss, tackle the abortion issue; George would be battling substance abuse, etc..  If you noticed, comparing the first Seinfeld episode to the last episode over about 15 years, the characters were in exactly the same place in life.  With a typical media/Hollywood person running the show, each character would have been married and divorced three times with kids trying to find their gender identity. 

The media broadcasting the NFL needs to just stick to what the product is and leave it at that.

If you think about it most of the greatest shows in history took place in one room on the show. Once in a while they would wonder into other places like work ect..- But 90% was all taken place in one room or the base of the actors was one room.

The product on the field has not been as good this year. Many star players are injured, suspended or retired. Many games have not been competitive. (See this game between Pitt and KC.)  The Thursday games, excluding the first one, have been boring.

However, I believe the biggest reason for the drop in TV ratings is that there are other ways to access the games. People are watching games on Twitter, Game Pass, and other means. They can DVR the games. Those who don't want to sit and watch one game can watch parts of every game on Red Zone. Without all of this, TV ratings would be much higher. 

3 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

I know you joke, but I think that's a bigger factor than the kneeling for the nat'l anthem. I think the larger reason is the political climate in this country right now

Yeah... a multitude of reasons really.    I certainly don't watch with the intensity I once did.

Yesterday I was up and tuned to the tube early to watch our game...  Well, then reality hit.   I didn't watch any other games the rest of the day.   I used to watch every game that was televised,  every week.   For whatever reason or reasons people have,  interest is waning.    

As a teacher, I've noticed that younger generations as a collective are less interested in professional sports. There are of course many exceptions, but it does seem that the percentage of individuals with less investment is on the rise. 

Perhaps the game is not as exciting to them. Or that social media trends are more important. I'm only 28 years old, but I feel like I'm already part of a huge gap. It's hard to get these people excited sometimes!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:32 AM, Gramz said:

It must be because Peyton is no longer playing...

I kid......  or do I..?? :scratch: 

Him and Tom weren't playing...casual fans look for guys like that to root for or be interested in games they may not otherwise watch.....but yes...I think there is no doubt that all the talk surrounding the anthem etc has basically put fans off. Probably not even so much the fact that some of the players are doing it but the fact that the MEDIA just won't shut up about it. The media just keeps shoving their opinions down everyones throats (for and against) and people don't want to listen or watch it. Also I'm sure the first presidential debate hurt numbers on Monday night last week or whatever it was. I will be honest...now that it is just the Colts I'm kinda interested in...I've watched less games this year. A lot of my favorite players are retiring and I find it more difficult each year to get invested in some of these new kids....maybe it's their attitudes and actions or maybe I just have better things to do but a lot of the younger players I'm just not interested in following them week to week. I'm sure there are some great stories and good young men out there but it seems to be less and less each year.

I'm late to this but I'm betting the decline in ratings have more to do with no Manning/Brady, cord cutting to save costs, horrible primetime matchups, going against the presidential debate, are all higher than the national anthem protests on this list. The protests don't help though.

On a personal level - last year was when I canceled Red Zone during the Colts season from hell. I got out more, went out to eat and saw movies with my fiance, visited my family more. This year so far the same has happened, I still have redzone but after the Colts lost Sunday I went out to brunch with her and watched a movie instead of turning on Redzone. I just was sick of football after watching us and then didn't want to contribute more money to Irsay/Goodell by watching the rest of the games (although I already pay for RZ I just don't turn it on)

I personally don't like the greed of the NFL owners and Goodell, the cover ups of safety issues that were illustrated in Concussion, and I frankly I don't like the fact that politics has been brought into the one place most Americans go for a release from it. I admit I get caught up in it as well but I think this all contributes to why I've started watching more college football on Saturday and less of the NFL on Sunday. 

It would also be easier to watch if our team were better. At 1-3 I'm looking forward to the NHL starting up next week. 

On 9/29/2016 at 2:05 PM, Derakynn said:

Well I know why I'm not watching games. I'm not paying for cable, it would be a waste of money to pay 50 a month so I could watch TV 4 days/month. The NFL doesn't provide other ways to watch. I have Sunday ticket. This means I can't watch SNF, MNF, or any game that is actually in my market without going through illegitimate means. So I'm not going to watch any of those. The NFL is not as accessible as it should be. And that is on them. I shouldn't have to pay money to see the games. The fact that I have to sit through 2 1/2 hrs of commercials should certainly be enough payment. 

My wife and I decided to finally cut the cable about 3 years ago (almost exactly lol) and instead signed up for Netflix and bought a satellite and hung it up on my window.  I miss MNF and TNF after it switches over to NFL Network, but that's about the only thing I ever used cable for.  It was worth saving the $100 month.

Why exactly would you want the NFL to overpower or coerce people from exercising the rights afforded to them by the very Constitution I'm sure the NFL respects?  All the crazy things that go on in this country day in and day out and all of a sudden the Casual NFL Fan is so offended by somebody taking a knee during the anthem?  Yeah Right old crow.

I'll admit I'm nowhere near as interested as I once was. I went from having Sunday ticket year after year to just giving Gamepass a try this year...and I gotta say I don't ever see myself going back to Sunday ticket. I find myself no longer burdened with blowing up the middle of my day with what may or may not be a quality product. So now I spend my day to

woriship at church and don't think about the games while I am there and then I get some work done around home and spend some time with my family..then I can just flip on Gamepass late evening and watch it and speed forward through the game and end up watching the full game in about an hour. I don't used the condescend 30 minute one because I like to control the game myself. The price I've saved from Sunday ticket to Gamepass is well over a thousand a year considering I've bagged my cable and just have Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. No more $300+ Sunday ticket package and $130+ monthly DIRECTV bill anymore. $99 for Gamepass is more than enough and if they raise the rate I'll cancel it out.

NFL just isn't what it once was 10 years ago when I really fell in love with the game. I blame a bunch of that on greed and the clubs and players just maximizing their revenues anymore. This political protest with the use of the Anthem does nothing more than divide that heal and so many people just go about trying to fix or change things the completely wrong way...the Anthem protests is a perfect example of it.

Can't blame it on the flag crap this time...Who wants to watch Blaine Gabbert vs Drew Stanton? And who wants to sit and watch blow out games? 

So far, every prime time game this year (night games) have ALL been blow outs. That's the true reason the ratings are dropping. Audiences do not sit glued to watch beat down, blow out games. College football ratings suffer too when it's blowout games. The highest rated games, are always the more exciting, closely contested match ups. 

It also don't help when one of the biggest stars in the league, who has 4 rings was wrongfully suspended for a "scandal" that didn't exist once it was brought further into light on the court level. 

I hope the ratings continue to pummel. Maybe Roger Goodell can finally get fired by the owners, after he's done everything to degrade the league into a joke. 

On 10/4/2016 at 5:07 PM, The Old Crow said:

They can all say what they want, but it's all about the disrespect of the flag and the national anthem. They are losing that casual fan that sees the NFL doing nothing, and boycotting the broadcasts in disgust. 

No. 

Blow out games....blow out games are the key why the ratings are suffering. It's so easy for people to hate the players that are protesting, but it is their right. They have every right to protest if they want. It's peaceful protest anyway...They're not burning flags or really doing anything as radical as angry fans are trying to suggest. The flag protest really isn't a big deal at all, it shouldn't be a big deal cause it's not really an issue, but the issue they are protesting (police brutality and police corruption) truly is something that should be a big deal to society today. In 2016, this country has a lot of issues that need to be addressed and worked on fixing, and that is what the players are trying to tell you through their protests. 

NFL ratings have declined on prime time games in the past when they've been blow outs. Scapegoating players that don't want to stand up to the national anthem, is ignoring this factor. The protests are also happening in college football, yet no one is pointing the finger and using the players as scapegoats for that. College ratings have went up a bit recently. 

People in general do not like to watch blow out games. If the prime time games this year would be closer, and not epic stomp downs, the ratings would be much higher. 

Ratings were bad in blow out games on primetime back in 2011, 2012 and most recently, 2014...Go back to 2007, when New England had their undefeated run, their highest rated games were the primetime games, which happened to be 3 of their 4 games that were closely contested games. (The 4th, being the Week 17 matchup vs the Giants that was broadcast on two channels). Casual fans could care less when a game is a blow out. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

No. 

Blow out games....blow out games are the key why the ratings are suffering. It's so easy for people to hate the players that are protesting, but it is their right. They have every right to protest if they want. It's peaceful protest anyway...They're not burning flags or really doing anything as radical as angry fans are trying to suggest. The flag protest really isn't a big deal at all, it shouldn't be a big deal cause it's not really an issue, but the issue they are protesting (police brutality and police corruption) truly is something that should be a big deal to society today. In 2016, this country has a lot of issues that need to be addressed and worked on fixing, and that is what the players are trying to tell you through their protests. 

NFL ratings have declined on prime time games in the past when they've been blow outs. Scapegoating players that don't want to stand up to the national anthem, is ignoring this factor. The protests are also happening in college football, yet no one is pointing the finger and using the players as scapegoats for that. College ratings have went up a bit recently. 

People in general do not like to watch blow out games. If the prime time games this year would be closer, and not epic stomp downs, the ratings would be much higher. 

Ratings were bad in blow out games on primetime back in 2011, 2012 and most recently, 2014...Go back to 2007, when New England had their undefeated run, their highest rated games were the primetime games, which happened to be 3 of their 4 games that were closely contested games. (The 4th, being the Week 17 matchup vs the Giants that was broadcast on two channels). Casual fans could care less when a game is a blow out. 

I think you are over looking the effect of some of these players protesting.

There is a lot of people who detest anything considered disrespecting the flag and what it stands for.

You add that these players are mostly rich by working class standards and protesting oppression just looks ignorant to a lot of people.

There are people who are not watching the NFL because of it. In there eyes they are not watching a bunch of rich players who really don't have anything in common with what they are protesting for.

Most of the players in the NFL have been catered to since high school and some before.

Add that to the media and their choice to make the protesting more of an issue than the games.

I watched a team get away with cheating during a national championship game.

I watched as the rules changed and softened the violence of football to a state of quasi-flag football because "we" want to pretend that we didn't understand that getting whacked in the head causes brain damage. 

I saw the working mans staple, Monday Night Football, get ripped from the free airwaves by frickin' Disney. Mickey Mouse had the money to take that from the underclass masses. 

I see uniforms changing every year, every game, and this is purely driven by jersey sales. Marketing this product too aggressively has changed the game and the experience for fans, as this is no longer a game. This NFL is merely a product on the shelf next to HD TV's and laptops. 

I listened to Rashaad Mendenhal and Adrian Peterson compare playing in the NFL to .....slavery.

Now I see these piece of garbage BLACK millionaires promoting the idea that black people cannot get ahead in America while contemplating whether or not to buy a Ferrari or a Lambo.

Listen up, America. You are NOT a victim. You are responsible for your own life and the choices made therein. You may find comparable societies across the world, but you will find no society more fair than that of America. 

Collin Kaepernick was raised well and he went to college, he made good choices. The people Kaepernick wants to paint as victims were raised by trash to act like trash and live like trash..... and Collin wants to sit out the anthem as a means of spotlighting how these trashy people are somehow victims of a nefarious systematic racist construct? 

If you want to sit out a song in protest, take a damn knee when you hear someone playing Kanye West or Lil Wayne. Rubes. Y'all deserve the festering ghettos you murder each other in. Promote your peoples shortcomings to a funky beat. Nice. Victims. Right........

If there's too many cops in your neighborhood for your liking, that means there's a LOT of crime in your neighborhood. Move. It's America. Move. 

I hear stories from the Depression era of how men walked hundreds of miles to the next state, leaving their families behind so they could find work, and these helpless "victims" can't move to a better location? Pick up your free Obama-phone and find a job, any job, somewhere else. 

If a cop pulls you over, don't run. Don't smart off. Do your duty as a citizen and allow the officer to do his job. It's not his/her fault you live in a crime-ridden filth pit. 

11 hours ago, Bogie said:

No. 

Funny, when a conservative speaker is not even allowed to speak at a University by these same people who apologize for Kaepernick's actions , I guess that speaker has no rights ! Or when some of these so called students move to a safe zone because they don't want to hear a different point of view, I guess they don't want to hear that view anymore than a lot of boycotting fans want to see Kaepernick. 

3 hours ago, ruksak said:

I watched as the rules changed and softened the violence of football to a state of quasi-flag football because "we" want to pretend that we didn't understand that getting whacked in the head causes brain damage. 

I saw the working mans staple, Monday Night Football, get ripped from the free airwaves by frickin' Disney. Mickey Mouse had the money to take that from the underclass masses. 

I see uniforms changing every year, every game, and this is purely driven by jersey sales. Marketing this product too aggressively has changed the game and the experience for fans, as this is no longer a game. This NFL is merely a product on the shelf next to HD TV's and laptops. 

I listened to Rashaad Mendenhal and Adrian Peterson compare playing in the NFL to .....slavery.

Now I see these piece of garbage BLACK millionaires promoting the idea that black people cannot get ahead in America while contemplating whether or not to buy a Ferrari or a Lambo.

Listen up, America. You are NOT a victim. You are responsible for your own life and the choices made therein. You may find comparable societies across the world, but you will find no society more fair than that of America. 

Collin Kaepernick was raised well and he went to college, he made good choices. The people Kaepernick wants to paint as victims were raised by trash to act like trash and live like trash..... and Collin wants to sit out the anthem as a means of spotlighting how these trashy people are somehow victims of a nefarious systematic racist construct? 

If you want to sit out a song in protest, take a damn knee when you hear someone playing Kanye West or Lil Wayne. Rubes. Y'all deserve the festering ghettos you murder each other in. Promote your peoples shortcomings to a funky beat. Nice. Victims. Right........

If there's too many cops in your neighborhood for your liking, that means there's a LOT of crime in your neighborhood. Move. It's America. Move. 

I hear stories from the Depression era of how men walked hundreds of miles to the next state, leaving their families behind so they could find work, and these helpless "victims" can't move to a better location? Pick up your free Obama-phone and find a job, any job, somewhere else. 

If a cop pulls you over, don't run. Don't smart off. Do your duty as a citizen and allow the officer to do his job. It's not his/her fault you live in a crime-ridden filth pit. 

I have tears falling down my cheek after I read this comment. I don't deserve to killed in my "crime-ridden filth pit". I'm nothing more than an aspiring law enforcement officer who's almost finished with his A.A degree. My friends, who're from the same "crime-ridden filth pit", are currently attending Cal State Dominguez and are starting a program to help mentor youth. They're only 19 and 20 like myself. I'm assuming they deserve to be killed too?

Our parents can't afford to move. If they could afford to move, you think we'd be living here to begin with? The majority of people who're living in the ghetto are hardworking people. They abide by the law and work their * off to provide for their families. You should be ashamed of yourself brother. You sound downright ignorant.

oh god........

What this thread has turned into.........this is not a therapists office it's a football forum.

Just, omg..........I am sorry so many have problems and we all do but come on.........

Everyone go be quiet and sit in the corner and watch the games and stop making peaceful protests into something bigger then it is just because it's fun to be outraged over something at the computer.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

oh god........

What this thread has turned into.........this is not a therapists office it's a football forum.

Just, omg..........I am sorry so many have problems and we all do but come on.........

Everyone go be quiet and sit in the corner and watch the games and stop making peaceful protests into something bigger then it is just because it's fun to be outraged over something at the computer.

Black-Guy-On-Bleachers-Meme-02.jpg

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

A picture of the President: methinks this thread is starting to turn political.

Thats another thing that is wrong about Karpernick's hijinx. People just want to enjoy sports and get away from all the political correctness. However, it's again shoved down your throats when you just want to relax and watch a game. 

4 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Thats another thing that is wrong about Karpernick's hijinx. People just want to enjoy sports and get away from all the political correctness. However, it's again shoved down your throats when you just want to relax and watch a game. 

All you see is an image of a guy kneeling; it's not like at the beginning of each game, Kaepernick or X player is able to get on the mic and make a long speeches opining about police brutality...

Also what he is doing is successful; he wants to shed awareness and get people talking, which is definitely occurring, whether you agree with his stance or not. 

Personally, I have not watched the games as much, because as a Colts fans, I usually watch all the Colts games, but the Colts have just flat out played bad, and bad football is not entertaining. During the games this year, I'm falling asleep or getting sidetracked; where in the past I am tuned in, immersed, and watching attentively. I think most of the teams in the NFL this year are kind of playing bad too; everyone sucks lol. 

13 hours ago, ruksak said:

What's more annoying than players standing is coming to a football forum and seeing a bunch people go on political rants.

18 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

What's more annoying than players standing is coming to a football forum and seeing a bunch people go on political rants.

2 things people should never engage in, stuff pertaining to Politics and Religion because it will get you no where. You wont change anyone's mind no matter how much you preach your beliefs, and I have even seen these type of subject's end friendships. I have a friend who is supporting Donald Trump who has been friends with another guy for nearly 20 years and now they aren't talking because they had an argument at a party I was at about Trump and Hillary.

5 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

All you see is an image of a guy kneeling; it's not like at the beginning of each game, Kaepernick or X player is able to get on the mic and make a long speeches opining about police brutality...

Also what he is doing is successful; he wants to shed awareness and get people talking, which is definitely occurring, whether you agree with his stance or not. 

Personally, I have not watched the games as much, because as a Colts fans, I usually watch all the Colts games, but the Colts have just flat out played bad, and bad football is not entertaining. During the games this year, I'm falling asleep or getting sidetracked; where in the past I am tuned in, immersed, and watching attentively. I think most of the teams in the NFL this year are kind of playing bad too; everyone sucks lol. 

Here is the problem with this. Not that I agree with this ,but supposed some NFL player wanted to put a Confederate flag on his helmet . We all know it would be shut down in a New York second and we wouldn't hear a thing about it's his right to protest issues. No one wants to hear the two bit opinions of rich millionaire athletes about politics, when we are trying to get away from all of this by watching a football game. If we wanted to hear more of this, we could watch the debates , or get bombarded from the tons of commercials from both sides of the aisle . 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 things people should never engage in, stuff pertaining to Politics and Religion because it will get you no where. You wont change anyone's mind no matter how much you preach your beliefs, and I have even seen these type of subject's end friendships. I have a friend who is supporting Donald Trump who has been friends with another guy for nearly 20 years and now they aren't talking because they had an argument at a party I was at about Trump and Hillary.

This is exactly why the ratings are going down because people don't want to deal with this stuff when they are enjoying the NFL games. There are a million other forums and blogs for the politico crowd to go on their diatribes. 

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

There are Fans & Bandwagon Fans IMO being a Colts fan since 84 there have been many seasons good & bad  I watch them all regardless they are my team . Many became fans after 18 was drafted it was'nt always pretty before that 98 draft & many of his seasons were disappointing nonetheless we remember the old days & took the good with the bad . I guess people have short memories or there just fair weather fans . Luck started his career with 3 straight 11-5 seasons going into & further each season at this point in his career he has accomplished more than Manning did in the same time frame .

Wow. This thread says a lot about the character of some of the people who post comments here. A few comments are so outrageous and deplorable that it does make me wonder if they live in the same America that I do. I don't think I have ever been exposed to such bigotry as I have here. Many here should be embarrassed. :facepalm: 

It is not necessary to spew hate to make a point. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Wow. This thread says a lot about the character of some of the people who post comments here. A few comments are so outrageous and deplorable that it does make me wonder if they live in the same America that I do. I don't think I have ever been exposed to such bigotry as I have here. Many here should be embarrassed. :facepalm: 

I agree.   We just can't seem to escape it. 

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sports should be a fun get away from Politics or Religion. I respect everyone's opinions of what they believe. I don't like people disrespecting the flag to make a point but don't hate anyone for it. Regarding politics I am neither Republican or Democrat either. I just want the best person and at this point not sure who it should be? I just want the country to be better. Anyway I watch Football, Basketball, and Baseball to get my mind off of my problems, although I still stress out watching sports because I want my teams to win LOL.