Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt re-injured back. Out extended/possibly season

bababooey

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

If this is the end for J.J. Watt, has he had enough longevity to make the Hall of Fame?  Will be an interesting debate.

No he needs to be dominate an extended amount of time.  

So if this back injury leaves him to where he's just a average player from now on he won't make the HOF.  And if he's forced to retire early, he won't make the HOF.  

It's sad because not too long ago he looked like a lock for the HOF.  This injury calls that entirely into question.  

I read this online last night and couldn't believe it.  He had a streak going of consecutive games not missed which is pretty impressive for his position.  He normally plays through injuries.  You have to wonder if he came back to early from his latest back injury.  Either way it's a bad break for the Texans.  He's not really replaceable but it is time for Clowney to shine I suppose.  I hate that the Texans won't have him when they play the Colts.  Watt is one of the most dynamic players in the league. 

21 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Way too late for that sentiment.  His career was effected the moment he had surgery in July, and it most definitely is effected now that this is happened.

In all likelihood, the JJ Watt that we all know is done for.

The bolded part is still up for debate, but there's lttle question at this point he could recover / rehab and play again.  At Watt level, I don;t know...  remains to be seen.

20 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

I said they are a second rate organization because they rushed their star player back from major surgery, causing making said injury even worse.  

AP came back fro ACL way early (medical timetable) as has Jordy Nelson.  when it is successful, the player is awesome and the organization 'genius'.  It is known full recover for ACL is 18 months and beyond, otherwise chance of re-injury is still elevated.  Also, biology is the same but there is wiggle room depending upon surgical precision, player, and rehab team. But if a player return early and suffers re injury... people are calling for heads to roll.... while a bit later begin begging their star player to come back from an injury he is suffering that keeps him off the field.  Interesting.

Remember, JJ passed all of the medical tests showing his recovery level.  It might have been to early in retrospect, but maybe not so apparent at the time.  He got medical clearance and convinced coaches to send him out there.

You stupidly implied that I

I'll deal with this after I finish my response..:-(

***In all likelihood, the JJ Watt that we all know is done for. *** 

Duly noted, as above, but not for certain.

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I've heard his back problems could potentially end his career.  

Terrible news, for the few years when he was healthy he was easily the best defensive player in the NFL in nearly 20 years. 

His career ending now would end because of his personal decision, not a medical issue at this time.  He can recover and play again. He's not having back fusion procedure (that I'm aware of) or something equally traumatic to threaten his career here.  Yet another injury may be another deal though, not desirable at minimum.  I'm not even certain they've determined he needs another surgery... could just give it time..  Lot more tome than before.  What is certain, is JJ is out a minimum 8 weeks (on IR). So let's see where he is for the last 4 games of the season.  However, he might be much better off waiting until next year for a full return and chance to dominate once more.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he came back way too soon. The Colts kept Andrew out last season once he got injured vs Denver to be cautious. I doubt JJ plays again this season. Peyton can fix him some nachos and cupcakes so JJ will be in good hands.

I wonder if Andrew was held back from playing in the games that put us in the playoffs by folks other than doctors.

I know he was not 'cleared' to play..but I'd also guess he pushed to play against Houston in December

I hope Houston does the same thing

On 9/27/2016 at 7:55 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As a Colts fan I really hate to hear that, I really do. He is one of the faces of the NFL and I wanted Indy to beat them with him playing. You want to beat the best. Texans beat us last season without Luck and many didn't think that it felt right. Of course they were happy to win the Division but it wasn't the same feeling. I had a feeling they brought him back way too early. Once you injure your back you have to be real cautious.

My physical therapy person said the same thing.  They brought him back way too early, it was a matter of time for a guy his size, athleticism, and agility to re-injure himself.

Watt to IR and he has had his surgery again...man that sucks but I don't know how he will do the next time he gets on the field. I'd definitely think IMO he will never be the same 1 man wrecking ball we are all used to. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player but I just don't know that he can really be great again. So many factors go into this particular situation but I wish him well I really like JJ.

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Watt to IR and he has had his surgery again...man that sucks but I don't know how he will do the next time he gets on the field. I'd definitely think IMO he will never be the same 1 man wrecking ball we are all used to. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player but I just don't know that he can really be great again. So many factors go into this particular situation but I wish him well I really like JJ.

He will never be the same he will not dominate a game again he is now like the Eraser, Sanders thru his body around as well it catches up with ya .

Image result for wrecking ball memes

They both made impacts on there team & fired up the defense but its a brutal sport & it takes its toll the Team should not have let Watt back on the field in 6 weeks they IMO shortened his career by being short sighted the big picture is the team has suffered a great loss 3 games into the season that they will regret for a long time .

41 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I just read he had his surgery and is likely done for the year.  Bad news for the Texans.

Smart move. After 2nd surgery on L5-S1 area, he should let it heal over the off season. Not career ending (no fusion) either.  Let's see how he performs next year after a lot of rest / rehab, then core strength rejuvenation.

Then we'll see how close to the old JJ Watt he be next season.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Smart move. After 2nd surgery on L5-S1 area, he should let it heal over the off season. Not career ending (no fusion) either.  Let's see how he performs next year after a lot of rest / rehab, then core strength rejuvenation.

Then we'll see how close to the old JJ Watt he be next season.

You almost have to wonder if he came back to early from the last one.  I hope he takes plenty of time to heal.  Hopefully he's the same player on the field next year.  The texans will miss him, not only is he their best player but I am sure he's one of their leaders too.

Just now, BullsColtsFan1 said:

You almost have to wonder if he came back to early from the last one.  I hope he takes plenty of time to heal.  Hopefully he's the same player on the field next year.  The texans will miss him, not only is he their best player but I am sure he's one of their leaders too.

In hindsight, yes.  OTOH, JJ Watt was likely petitioning to get back out on to the field.  And every test the medical team could give JJ, he would pass. .So he got medical clearance, But medical tests are not, nor ever will be performance / re-injury estimators on the gridiron.  Once he got out there, I'm sure he found things were different but football players are reluctant to come off the field.  Now that he experienced this, I'm sure he will be more cautious .  But he has also time on his side now.

3 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Ask Tony Romo.  At least Watt has the whole young thing going for him.

Tony Romo had two separate, and different, back issues.  the first one was fractured transverse process similar to below (except only one fracture)-

case47-2.jpg

This last injury Romo had was a compression fracture of the vertebral body, maybe something like below--

traum1c.gif

JJ Watt has yet another totally different back issue.  A (likely L5-S1) herniated disc as shown below-

Herniated_zps7ckm3vfz.png

It's sad to mention, but if Romo comes back then at some point herniates a disc, he will have suffered the back injury trifecta. :-(