Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt re-injured back. Out extended/possibly season

bababooey

As a Colts fan I really hate to hear that, I really do. He is one of the faces of the NFL and I wanted Indy to beat them with him playing. You want to beat the best. Texans beat us last season without Luck and many didn't think that it felt right. Of course they were happy to win the Division but it wasn't the same feeling. I had a feeling they brought him back way too early. Once you injure your back you have to be real cautious.

Uh Oh. Not good at all. He's the heart and soul of that franchise. Hopefully he recovers.

Regarding the Texans, i'll have to wait and see how they do without him, but I don't think they are screwed. Yes he's their best player, and provides opportunity to the rest of that defense/team. However this still have play makers all over the field. Guys like Miller, Hopkins, and Clowney gotta step up. But most importantly Brock. Now it's his time to prove if he's worth that contract or not.

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's funny.  even as a colts fan I'm sad to hear this.   He is my favorite non colt now that Peyton is retired

Was just going to say this. He is my favorite non-Colts player. I really hate this for him. Solid guy.

On the other hand, that is a huge factor our OL, and Luck, won't have to worry about...assuming this is true.

Damn... I respect JJ as a player, and It's sad that his season, and potentially his career are over (He said he pondered retirement this off-season, and I'm betting he's re-thinking that now).

That Texans defense is really starting to fall apart. Without Watt, and Cushing missing 4-6 weeks I'm not sure what they are going to do, I'd even venture to say after Art Jones comes back, we might have a better overall defense than Houston.

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Back injuries are bad and can linger for many years. Hopefully it won't effect his career.

Way too late for that sentiment.  His career was effected the moment he had surgery in July, and it most definitely is effected now that this is happened.

In all likelihood, the JJ Watt that we all know is done for.

34 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah that sucks, he's one of my favorite non Colts players.  Seems like a very good dude, first ballot Hofer and does great work for his community.  That would be a significant loss for the Texans but the team could rally around his loss.

Well put M-432. JJ is everything you said & more. This really blows. Sorry man. 

14 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

In all likelihood, the JJ Watt that we all know is done for.

So, you went to med school & are on the medical staff in Houston eh? Please...

You are entitled to your opinion naturally MD75, but you'll forgive me, if I don't dance all over his NFL grave right now. Lingering back problems can complicate an athlete's performance sure, but you're taking far too much glee or satisfaction in such news in my estimation. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

So, you went to med school & are the medical staff in Houston eh? Please...

You are entitled to your opinion naturally MD75, but you'll forgive me if I don't dance all over his NFL grave right now. Lingering back problems can complicate an athlete's performance sure, but you're taking far too much glee or satisfaction in such news in my estimation. 

Yeah.....because you had to have gone to medical school to legitimately speculate that someone who engages in one of the most grueling, physically demanding occupations on earth at an incredibly high level, might never be the same after having a major back injury.

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If JJ is cleared by the doctors & Watt has had limited practice up until then with no complications, what do you expect Bill O'Brien to do? Wait for your approval? LOL! 

So, when Manning was hurt in 2011, did that make INDY a 2nd rate organization too? Just curious...

The Colts had Manning play in a regular season game 6 weeks after having back surgery in 2011?

4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

The Colts had Manning play in a regular season game 6 weeks after having back surgery in 2011?

No, you said or inferred that JJ played for a 2nd tier organization simply because Watt got injured after he was medically cleared to play. So, by that logic, since Manning was an elite player injured in 2011 that our franchise had no idea what it was doing with a star marquee player either sir. 

Both foolish assertions. You know it, I know it, & everybody else on this forum knows it. The specific injury in question means absolutely nothing.  

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

No, you said or inferred that JJ played for a 2nd tier organization simply because Watt got injured after he was medically cleared to play. So, by that logic, since Manning was an elite player injured in 2011 that our franchise had no idea what it was doing with a star marquee player either sir. 

Both foolish assertions. You know it, I know it, & everybody else on this forum knows it. The specific injury in question means absolutely nothing.  

lol....what does this even mean?

Lets see if you can figure out the difference, dummy:

Watt, major surgery on July 21, plays on September 11th.

Manning, major surgery on May 23, misses entire season.

Yep.....handled the exact same.

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Another brilliant move by that second rate organization.....having their superstar play in a regular season NFL game 6 f'ing weeks after having back surgery.  Amateur hour once again in the city of Houston.  I hope eeking out a win over the mighty Chicago Bears was worth losing Watt for the year.

I can tell you are going to have a lot of entertaining controversial Posts but I actually agree with you here. I even Posted after he had surgery that the Texans shouldn't play him for the first month of the season just to play it safe.

Sure is a lot of debate for a non Colt player.

I for one am not glad he is hurt but on the other hand I am glad we don't have to play him for a bit.

All in all the Colts have contained him as good as any team in the league in the past.

I wish him the best in his recovery. I am not doctor so I will leave that up to those who are.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sure is a lot of debate for a non Colt player.

I for one am not glad he is hurt but on the other hand I am glad we don't have to play him for a bit.

All in all the Colts have contained him as good as any team in the league in the past.

I wish him the best in his recovery. I am not doctor so I will leave that up to those who are.

Regarding me I just want to beat the best. Am I going cry because he is out, no nor did the Texans fans when Andrew was out - of course it gives us a better chance to win, like it did them with us losing Andrew. We all get that. Just sucks all of these great players keep getting injured. Hell, Andrew could go down next week for all we know?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding me I just want to beat the best. Am I going cry because he is out, no nor did the Texans fans when Andrew was out - of course it gives us a better chance to win, like it did them with us losing Andrew. We all get that. Just sucks all of these great players keep getting injured. Hell, Andrew could go down next week for all we know?

The human body was not designed to play football for sure.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's funny.  even as a colts fan I'm sad to hear this.   He is my favorite non colt now that Peyton is retired

It hurts the game to have stars out for extended periods of time..

I watch to see guys like this

Watt always played hard and he was synonymous with his team....

I didn't know there was a chance of this....I knew he wasn't 100% but I am shocked by this

They just want to pass the hot potato to us so we go the playoffs and face New England instead since they got Foxboro'ed out this year already. Sigh.

Just kidding.

Honestly this is terrible news. Love watching this guy play but he has not looked "all there" this year so far either. I still won't count Houston out though since they still might play very hard this year and it could still be a strong divisional battle.

It's important that they let him fully heal though for his future too.

Some say he should not have played.......but star players play banged up a lot. I am sure Luck was out there banged up last year a few times early in the year too. I think Houston probably trusted the trainers/doctors and how JJ himself said he felt and he felt okay to go perhaps. Before the NE game, I heard Watt was increasing his activity levels anyway in practice. Stuff, happens.......

Sucks so many stars are already hurt this year, but hey the Vikings have made do without a few and sometimes others step up in place.

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I have to agree with this sentiment. 

I was worried they/he rushed back from injury too soon. I hope it's not career ending. Even though he was a division rival, I've always liked how he carried himself on and off the field. I wish him the best.

That is why people shouldn't get crazy over the first couple of weeks of the season because a lot can change by mid season. After Week 2 the Texans looked like world beaters and people were praising Brock, etc.. We looked done and then we pull out a game we could've easily lost and they get dismantled by the Patriots and lose Watt - all in 1 week. I wont count the Texans totally out but without Watt they will be lucky to be 8-8. He's not just another player that you can replace, he is their leader and best Defensive player in the league. It would be like us losing Luck and trying to plug in Tolzien - picture that! I don't want too!

6 hours ago, Jules said:

They just want to pass the hot potato to us so we go the playoffs and face New England instead since they got Foxboro'ed out this year already. Sigh.

Just kidding.

Honestly this is terrible news. Love watching this guy play but he has not looked "all there" this year so far either. I still won't count Houston out though since they still might play very hard this year and it could still be a strong divisional battle.

It's important that they let him fully heal though for his future too.

Some say he should not have played.......but star players play banged up a lot. I am sure Luck was out there banged up last year a few times early in the year too. I think Houston probably trusted the trainers/doctors and how JJ himself said he felt and he felt okay to go perhaps. Before the NE game, I heard Watt was increasing his activity levels anyway in practice. Stuff, happens.......

Sucks so many stars are already hurt this year, but hey the Vikings have made do without a few and sometimes others step up in place.

Bills will beat the Pats on Sunday, my upset special this week.

Was watching a program on one of the sports stations & a DR who was a former player was talking about Watt he said Watt came back in 6 weeks from having back surgery when normally it takes 3 months , The player will always play macho man it is what it is but , IMO the team Dr's & coach O'Brien should have slowed him down a lil , It is a big loss for the team he as we all realize has been the difference maker for the Texans for years they can not replace him & now they will pay a huge price without him .

he will never be the same IMO . 

Per Ian Rapaport Watt may be out for the rest of the season:

From @gmfb, the latest this morning on the news that #Texans star DL JJ Watt (back) could be out for the season: https://www.facebook.com/rapsheetnfl/videos/1153553584711219/ 

6 retweet4 kedvelés
Válasz

Retweet

Tetszik

Tovább

Get well J.J.!

9 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

he will never be the same IMO . 

Yep. And what is sad, is not so much the fact that his level of play will diminish. It's that he will now have to live the rest of his life with these back issues. Professional football requires a lot of personal sacrifice.

You can only have a lot of respect for JJ Watt and hope that this back injury will not be the end of him as we all know him. I hope for a full recovery, and maybe he should just strike this year out, although he is too competitive to do that if he has a chance to return this season.

On another note, it is just a damn shame that a player of such talent will never get to play and win a SB. He is not alone in that respect, but it is still a darn shame when the best can't experience the ultimate glory in their profession.

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Agree.  I was about to say the same thing.

I think he came back from his surgery too soon, and this is the price he (and the Texans)  will pay.   

I guess now he can help Peyton decorate those cupcakes :P

11 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Agree.  I was about to say the same thing.

I think he came back from his surgery too soon, and this is the price he (and the Texans)  will pay.   

I guess now he can help Peyton decorate those cupcakes :P

Yeah he came back way too soon. The Colts kept Andrew out last season once he got injured vs Denver to be cautious. I doubt JJ plays again this season. Peyton can fix him some nachos and cupcakes so JJ will be in good hands.