Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not narrow the goal posts ?

digroute88

IMO the goal post are just fine. I think they are the same width as the hashtags.

For those who go to live games one of the first things you notice is the post are not nearly as wide as it looks on TV.

For those who want to bring up the old days the goal post were ten yards closer.

You can also bring in the difference between kicking indoors and outside. There are more domed stadiums now that there use to be so the weather done effect the kick as much.

The kickers are a lot better athletes than in the past so that accounts for the percentages being up too.

Boomstick is one of the best athletes on the club.

3 hours ago, digroute88 said:

I'm old enough to remember when 50 yard field goals were rare . Now guys make them like chip shots . I like old school run pass and tackle football . 

Kicking FGs is part of the game. Naturally, kickers get better as time goes on. You're acting like this increased efficiency is hurting the game.

Are you old enough to remember when 4,000 yard passers were rare, or 80 catch receivers were rare? Should we abolish the forward pass?

I don't get what's wrong with accurate FG kicking...

On 9/27/2016 at 3:21 PM, digroute88 said:

No, they raised the goal posts to make it easier for the ref's to see if the ball was in or out . As to why ..it seems to me that the game has become too much about kicking field goals rather than running and passing like it used to be years ago . 

Uh yes they did. Here's our very own Adam V discussing it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463393/article/adam-vinatieri-not-happy-with-narrower-goal-posts

Did they try this at a ProBowl not that long ago & our own Adam V. missed a FG in Hawaii? 

I don't wanna mess up our HOF kicker's mojo. So, I vote no on this proposal. JMO. 

Okay, I had a brain fart & never saw Csmopar's entry until now. You can make fun of me if you want. I deserve it. LOL! 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Did they try this at a ProBowl not that long ago & our own Adam V. missed a FG in Hawaii? 

I don't wanna mess up our HOF kicker's mojo. So, I vote no on this proposal. JMO. 

Okay, I had a brain fart & never saw Csmopar's entry until now. You can make fun of me if you want. I deserve it. LOL! 

No worries. I have lots of brain farts myself, gives a whole new meaning to being filled with gas hahaha

I think it would make the game more exciting as well as interesting . If you enjoy watching field goals that's fine. 

Where does it stop . 70yds.? It's like tigerizing the Masters or lowering the pitchers mound in the major's. (they lowered the mound years ago because the scoring was so low .) Narrowing the goals would make it a lot tougher on the coaches to simply trot a kicker onto the field if they might give up great field position . 

As far as Adam V. is concerned , I think the guy is great , phenomenal but no kicker wants a rule that would make their job tougher .

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO the goal post are just fine. I think they are the same width as the hashtags.

For those who go to live games one of the first things you notice is the post are not nearly as wide as it looks on TV.

For those who want to bring up the old days the goal post were ten yards closer.

You can also bring in the difference between kicking indoors and outside. There are more domed stadiums now that there use to be so the weather done effect the kick as much.

The kickers are a lot better athletes than in the past so that accounts for the percentages being up too.

Boomstick is one of the best athletes on the club.

These are all excellent points . The kickers used to be straight on style rather than soccer style as well.

The NFL must think that my point has some credence or they wouldn't have experimented with the idea in the pro bowl . I know kicking isn't the lodestone of the game but it has become more dominant than it was in earlier years . The kicking will continue to get better and I don't want the game to turn into field goal contests .

Slightly off topic, but it fits under possible rule changes in the NFL. I wish the NFL rules committee would modify the roughing the passer penalty & face mask penalty a little bit. 

I'm not advocating for late hits, or pile driving a QB, or even head hunting. Just that incidental contact that brushes a face mask really isn't worth 15 yards every time. 

I'm not trying to change the topic here at all. Just give LBs, DEs, & safeties a break sometimes refs. 

20 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

I remember when all this was corn field as far as the eye could see! damn hippies! 

Herbert-1.jpg

Not meant as a slight against DR88 at all, but your reply was pretty darn funny SDS. :lol:

I like when 1 of our best comedic regulars slides in a gem like this during a thought provoking discussion. 

1 hour ago, digroute88 said:

As far as Adam V. is concerned , I think the guy is great , phenomenal but no kicker wants a rule that would make their job tougher .

Well said DR88. Whenever he misses, it always makes a highlight reel since it is so rare. 

I always wonder who's more superstitious? Baseball pitchers or NFL kickers when a winning streak ends? 

Just thinking out loud...