Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be as honest and objective as you can

DalTXColtsFan

Being objective, I have to say not quite - OBJ had a guy grabbing his jersey and he still managed to keep focus on the ball which was behind him.

It's not like OBJ's catch is miles ahead of every other one-handed catch that was ever made, but I have to admit his was slightly more amazing than Marvin's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818_M8gOnqQ

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

And Marv was a much better pro football player IMO. 

I love Marv but you do realize OBJ is on pace to be the greatest WR of all time right?  I'm saying dude is averaging like 100 yds/gm and almost 1 TD/gm.  Higher than Marv, Rice and Moss.  I'm just saying.  Forget dudes attitude and hair do and persona, he is putting up unprecedented numbers from the outset of his career.  For a receiver that is rare.

2 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I love Marv but you do realize OBJ is on pace to be the greatest WR of all time right?  I'm saying dude is averaging like 100 yds/gm and almost 1 TD/gm.  Higher than Marv, Rice and Moss.  I'm just saying.  Forget dudes attitude and hair do and persona, he is putting up unprecedented numbers from the outset of his career.  For a receiver that is rare.

They are playing in a different league than what Marv played in. I don't like comparison;s to older WR, simply because they are not playing in the same time. Therefore you really cannot compare their stats. What you can compare is technique.

Just now, tikyle said:

I love Marv but you do realize OBJ is on pace to be the greatest WR of all time right

I get that, but "being on your way" and having the long term production Marv actually has under his belt, along with his nice gold jacket has me as Marv being better at this point. Hard to maintain in this league physically and production wise. JMO

Marvin's catches at 0:25 (vs. New England) and at 2:58 (vs. Oakland) were more memorable catches to me, to be honest.

He made a ton of spectacular catches in his career -- those who played with him all say some catches he made in practice were even better than in the games -- and that they were never surprised when he did something like that in games because of how often he did things like that.

That said, it is hard to say any catch is definitely better than OBJ's catch -- that was amazing.

I would still take Marv over OBJ if I had the choice... he was the most consistent WR in NFL history (and I don't think the stats lie on that -- just look at his numbers from 1999-2006 -- I highly doubt Antonio Brown, OBJ, or anyone will be able to replicate what Marv did over more than 4 consecutive seasons, let alone 8).

47 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Yeah, and every QB is throwing over 4,000 yards now. It's not comparable

39 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I get that, but "being on your way" and having the long term production Marv actually has under his belt, along with his nice gold jacket has me as Marv being better at this point. Hard to maintain in this league physically and production wise. JMO

Marv now vs Beckham now is not a comparison, I agree.  His career is over and Beckham is in his what 3rd season?  But Beckham's first three years and Marvin's first three years can be compared.  But I do agree with @AustinnKaine that it is two different eras so that comparison is a little unfair to Marv.

25 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Double catch to himself against the Pats, maintains possession, gets both feet in the endzone, then spikes it and hits Vrabel in the face.  Possibly the best Marvin moment I've ever seen

That was the greatest thing ever. Marvin NEVER showed any emotion but you could tell that catch got him jacked up. I would of love to have seen what he said to Vrabel.

Hell of a catch but it wasn't even his best catch. Definitly wasn't better than Beckhams full stretched out 3 fingered catch. I don't even remember Beckham looking back at the trajectory of the ball when making that catch actually just fully extending and hoping. He might have been looking and I don't remember though. That was still a better catch though. Doesn't diminish the fact that Harrison made many catches that were great in his day

3 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Not even close. I don't even think that was Marv's best catch.

I thought Marvin's TD against NE in the corner of the EZ.....    the reverse pivot, juggling catch was Marvin's best.    

A very, very tough catch that he almost made look easy.       Tremendous!             :thmup:

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What does that have to do with it? So if a QB wears a glove does it make his passes any greater?

It's immaterial.

I agree it's immaterial, because everyone wears gloves, so everyone benefits from them. But, gloves can make it much easier to catch the ball. So, wearing a glove may not make a QB pass better but it can certainly help a receiver catch better.

5 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I agree it's immaterial, because everyone wears gloves, so everyone benefits from them. But, gloves can make it much easier to catch the ball. So, wearing a glove may not make a QB pass better but it can certainly help a receiver catch better.

I always found it harder to catch passes wearing gloves. I think its different depending on the individuals preference. Some feel they catch better without gloves and others probably not. That's just my opinion based on catching a football with and without gloves and that's just basic playing catch not difficult 1 handed grabs or diving catches

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I always found it harder to catch passes wearing gloves. I think its different depending on the individuals preference. Some feel they catch better without gloves and others probably not. That's just my opinion based on catching a football with and without gloves and that's just basic playing catch not difficult 1 handed grabs or diving catches

I also never really wore gloves but I also wasn't an NFL receiver. The good gloves now-a-days are like glue. There's a reason 99% of WRs, RBs, TEs wear gloves.

9 hours ago, tikyle said:

do you realize that Marvin wasn't the only great player on the offense do you? they had James, Clark and Reggie.. he didn't have to get the ball all the time like OBJ does. so when you try to compare them, no OBJ is not greater then Marvin.

I think both catches are great. OBJ's, while done with only 3 fingers, at least he's still turned and able to look the catch in. Mary's is running full speed then immediately going into a full on laid out dive, not only catches the ball with only one hand but he secures it through the hard landing without ever slightly losing possession. I saw them both live on tv and immediately said that's the greatest catch I've ever seen. So maybe OBJ has taken the throne but not by much. And Marv against New England in the end zone.... I remember the picture the next day where he looked like Da Vinci's drawing of a man.... completely stretched out to tap that with 1 then control it and toe tap....  HoF type plays.... the memories...

13 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Marvin's catches at 0:25 (vs. New England) and at 2:58 (vs. Oakland) were more memorable catches to me, to be honest.

He made a ton of spectacular catches in his career -- those who played with him all say some catches he made in practice were even better than in the games -- and that they were never surprised when he did something like that in games because of how often he did things like that.

That said, it is hard to say any catch is definitely better than OBJ's catch -- that was amazing.

I would still take Marv over OBJ if I had the choice... he was the most consistent WR in NFL history (and I don't think the stats lie on that -- just look at his numbers from 1999-2006 -- I highly doubt Antonio Brown, OBJ, or anyone will be able to replicate what Marv did over more than 4 consecutive seasons, let alone 8).

I wish Luck and TY or Dorsett could get the same chemistry that Peyton & Marv had.  Marv's speed and quickness out of his cuts may be the best in NFL history.  His timing and chemistry with Peyton was unbelievable. Love seeing these old highlights of 88.

15 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

do you realize that Marvin wasn't the only great player on the offense do you? they had James, Clark and Reggie.. he didn't have to get the ball all the time like OBJ does. so when you try to compare them, no OBJ is not greater then Marvin.

I hope you're kidding on this, honestly.

OBJ came in as a rookie with a most-likely future HOF QB throwing to him.  Marvin came in with Jim Harbaugh, who although is one of my all-time favorite Colts, was not much more than a mediocre NFL QB.  Sure, Marv's rookie year he had Marshall Faulk (who rushed for a whopping 587 yards with a 3.0 average YPC) -- in fact, the Colts rushed for only 1,448 yards Marv's rookie year compared to the Giants who rushed for 1,603 total yards (in a more pass-heavy league, they had 2 guys who exceeded Marshall Faulk's rushing production if you compare side by side).  Marv's supporting WR cast his rookie year included the great Sean Dawkins, the amazing Aaron Bailey, and the very feared threat Brian Stablein.  He also had Ken Dilger (a very average NFL TE), and Marcus Pollard (who had a grand total of 6 receptions in 1996).  In total, as a rookie, Marv led the Colts in receiving yards and receptions, with Sean Dawkins and Faulk being the only 2 to have >50 receptions and Dilger being the only other to have >40 receptions and Lamont Warren as the only other to have >20 receptions.  In 1997 (Marv's second year), Sean Dawkins was the only other Colt to have >50 receptions, and Faulk the only to have >40 (Faulk rushed for 1,054 yards that year and the Colts rushed for 1,727 total).  Marv's 3rd year was Faulk's best year in Indy and Faulk led the team in receptions, with only he and Marv hauling in >50 receptions.  Marv's receiving cast included Torrance Small, Jerome Pathon, and the injured EG Green.  The TEs caught a total of 55 passes (Pollard and Dilger combined).  Peyton Manning broke the record for single-season interceptions thrown and the Colts were so good they went 3-13.  In 1999, Marv and Edge were the only 2 to have over 50 receptions, and Marv became a star with a receiving corps so good the next best WR was Terrence Wilkins!

OBJ as a rookie had a team that rushed for 1,603 yards, with 2 players (Andre Williams and Rashad Jennings) who outperformed Faulk in Marv's rookie year.  OBJ had Rueben Randle haul in 71 receptions (more than any Colt in 1996), and Larry Donnell haul in 63 receptions as a tight-end (which would have been second to Marvin as a rookie).  Eli threw for 4,410 yards compared to Jim Harbaugh, Paul Justin and Kerwin Bell combining for 3,544.  Did I mention, Eli is likely headed to the HOF, while Marvin was hauling in balls from that trio? 

Marv didn't have Reggie until his 6th year in the league, he didn't have a solid QB until his 4th year in the league (Peyton's second year -- Peyton was very troubled as a rookie QB).  Marv had a worse running game than OBJ's team until his 4th year in the league when Faulk had a stellar season.  Marv's best compliment as WR was either Sean Dawkins, Torrence Small, or Terrence Wilkins until his 6th year, when Reggie had a stunning 27 receptions as a rookie.  In fact, Reggie didn't have over 50 receptions and become a legitimate threat across from Marvin until Marvin's 8th year in the league.

OBJ now has Sterling Sheperd and Victor Cruz alongside him, as very legitimate threats.  The one point I hope I made clear is that your argument holds no validity.  I also would like to point out that at this point in time, there is no way to compare OBJ to Marvin as a career WR.... OBJ has had 2 very good years in this league (a much WR and QB friendly league than when Marv started).... Marv had the best 4, 5,  7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 consecutive seasons out of any WR in NFL history... when OBJ comes close to doing any of that, we can revisit the topic.

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I wish Luck and TY or Dorsett could get the same chemistry that Peyton & Marv had.  Marv's speed and quickness out of his cuts may be the best in NFL history.  His timing and chemistry with Peyton was unbelievable. Love seeing these old highlights of 88.

I think Marvin was the best route-runner in NFL history -- a big part of that was due to his very strong chemistry with Peyton.  I don't think any QB-WR duo will ever accomplish what those 2 did in terms of statistics or in terms the timing and awareness they had together. 

I know of at least 2 top-tier DBs who played when Marvin was in the league (with Randy Moss, TO, and several other WRs who brought more attention to themselves for their antics than Marv did) who said Marv was the best they ever faced -- Charles 'Peanut' Tillman and Champ Bailey (probably the best DB in the NFL that had enough of a sample size against Marvin's class of WRs in their prime to make a solid judgement).

Just look at Marvin's NFL Records -- until OBJ comes close to doing anything like this, over this amount of time, I don't think people should be debating it:

NFL records

• -Most receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002
  • -Most receptions in a 4 season period (469), 1999–2002; 5 season period (563), 1999–2003; 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996–2006
  • -Most receiving yards in a 4 season period (6,322), 1999–2002; 5 season period (7,594), 1999–2003
  • -Most games in a career with at least 8 receptions (51), 9 receptions (32), 11 receptions (12), 12 receptions (8)
  • -Most consecutive games with at least 6 receptions (16) and 9 receptions (6)
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdowns (11) – shared with Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdown receptions (8)
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 11 touchdown receptions (4)-tied with Lance Alworth, Art Powell
  • -Most consecutive seasons with at least 14 touchdown receptions (2)-tied with Jerry Rice
  • -Most Consecutive seasons with 1,400+ receiving yards (4); 1999–2002
  • -Most Consecutive seasons with 100+ receptions (4); 1999–2002
  • -Most Consecutive seasons with 82+ receptions (8); 1999–2006
  • -Most games in a single season (2002) with at least 6 receptions (15), 7 receptions (12), 8 receptions (12), 9 receptions (10), 11 receptions (5)
  • -Most games in a season with at least 13 receptions (2) in 1999 – tied with several players
  • - Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the record for most completions between a Wide Receiver and Quarterback with 953.
  • - Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing touchdowns between a WR and QB with 112.
  • - Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing yards between a WR and QB with 12,756.
  • -Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for completions in a season between a WR and QB with 143 in 2002.
  • - First player to record 2 seasons of 1,600 yards receiving in NFL history, (1999 & 2002). (Torry Holt became the 2nd, (2000 & 2003)
  • - First player to have 50+ receptions in his first 11 seasons in NFL history. (Torry Holt became the 2nd on December 27, 2009)
  • -Most consecutive seasons of 1,000+ all-purpose yards and 10+ touchdown receptions (8), 1999–2006
  • -On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.
  • -On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys
  • -On October 12, 2003, made his 700th career reception against the Carolina Panthers. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 114 games
  • -On November 8, 2004, made his 800th career reception against the Minnesota Vikings. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 131 games
  • -On November 20, 2005, made his 900th career reception against the Cincinnati Bengals. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 149 career games
  • -On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 167 career games
  • -On December 28, 2008, made his 1,100th career reception against the Tennessee Titans in his last regular season game and his last game in Indianapolis. He is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 190 career games.
  • -Most receptions over first 7 seasons (665), 8 seasons (759), 9 seasons (845), 10 seasons (927), 11 seasons (1,022) and 13 seasons (1,102) of career of any NFL receiver
  • -Most consecutive games with a reception to start a career (190)
  • -Most average receptions per game in a career (5.8) – 1996–2008
  • -Most consecutive games with 8+ receiving yards (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • -Most consecutive games with a 6+ yard reception (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • -Most consecutive games with an 8+ yard reception (177), (192 if counting playoffs)

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

OBJ had the greatest catch I've ever seen which topped David Tyree's helmet catch for me.

I forgot about the Tyree catch -- and now I'm wondering why that isn't brought up consistently in the 'best catch ever' argument -- I agree with you, the OBJ catch was a better catch, but when you factor in the timing and all the other things that went on with Tyree's, that was huge!