Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where's Dorsett?

jchandler7

He was a bad pick given what we needed last season, but without him this season, our receiving unit would be desperate.  I'm not sure what people expect - he's fast, has good hands, needs to be accounted for defensively, and is developing just fine.  

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Dorsett had big plays as a rookie, and already has big plays in Year 2. He's already made a significant difference. 

He's also been relegated to a reserve role, until Sunday, which was his first career start, and 14th game overall. There's little sense in comparing a player who hasn't been used to a player who is thrust into the starting lineup right away. (It's also worth noting that 6 of his 14 games so far are without Luck, and 7 of 14 were with a bad OC who didn't use his players effectively.)

I don't think he needs time, I think he needs opportunity, which he really hasn't had, at least not consistently. He had 94 yards as WR3 in the opener. Moncrief is out for a few more weeks, I'm pretty sure Dorsett will get increased opportunities during this stretch, and then we'll have a better idea where he is.

I would assume it comes down to opportunity as well. Which begs the question why is he not given it...Is it role, coaching, offensive gameplan, is it his own fault etc etc.

I dont dislike the guy, frankly I have a hard time having an opinion on someone who has done literally nothing......I just dont agree with the "they need X years" philosophy.....That may have been he case 16years ago, but it isn't anymore, young WR are expected to come in and produce right away.  

4 hours ago, fatboy said:

He was a bad pick given what we needed last season, but without him this season, our receiving unit would be desperate.  I'm not sure what people expect - he's fast, has good hands, needs to be accounted for defensively, and is developing just fine.  

Everyone wanted defense after the AFCCG in New England, and we got Geathers, Parry, and Anderson, out of that draft. 3 productive starters on that side of the ball out of one draft, PLUS Phillip Dorsett, what else could you ask for?

13 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I would assume it comes down to opportunity as well. Which begs the question why is he not given it...Is it role, coaching, offensive gameplan, is it his own fault etc etc.

I dont dislike the guy, frankly I have a hard time having an opinion on someone who has done literally nothing......I just dont agree with the "they need X years" philosophy.....That may have been he case 16years ago, but it isn't anymore, young WR are expected to come in and produce right away.  

Meh; a lot of receivers contribute right away, but not all. And if they don't contribute right away that doesn't mean they're no good and you write them off. 

In Dorsett's case, he was basically WR4 last year, and then once he started getting more reps he got hurt. Luck was hurt, the offense changed, and the coordinator changed. I think we saw his intended role in the opener this year. The Denver game was tough sledding for the entire offense, especially the QB, and the play calling was bad, IMO. I expected more from Dorsett against the Chargers, but it was clearly Hilton's day.

To me, it's role and coaching, so far. His role has changed. I think the coaching needs to get better to properly utilize him (and all the offensive weapons, to be honest). But for the most part, to this point, Dorsett hasn't had a lot of opportunity. The next month will be enlightening.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Everyone wanted defense after the AFCCG in New England, and we got Geathers, Parry, and Anderson, out of that draft. 3 productive starters on that side of the ball out of one draft, PLUS Phillip Dorsett, what else could you ask for?

Don't you know, the GM needs to draft future HOFs at every position in every draft.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh; a lot of receivers contribute right away, but not all. And if they don't contribute right away that doesn't mean they're no good and you write them off. 

In Dorsett's case, he was basically WR4 last year, and then once he started getting more reps he got hurt. Luck was hurt, the offense changed, and the coordinator changed. I think we saw his intended role in the opener this year. The Denver game was tough sledding for the entire offense, especially the QB, and the play calling was bad, IMO. I expected more from Dorsett against the Chargers, but it was clearly Hilton's day.

To me, it's role and coaching, so far. His role has changed. I think the coaching needs to get better to properly utilize him (and all the offensive weapons, to be honest). But for the most part, to this point, Dorsett hasn't had a lot of opportunity. The next month will be enlightening.

Okay well hes the clear #2 for the forseeable future. Lets see if he flashes some ability that would suggest he's something other than only a deep threat 

17 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Okay well hes the clear #2 for the forseeable future. Lets see if he flashes some ability that would suggest he's something other than only a deep threat 

He already has, IMO. We'll see if he can build on what he's already done.

I really thought before I commented earlier that maybe you had watched Dorsett play this year.  Now I know you have not.

The NFL is not fantasy football.  It is real.  Dorsett has done well so far and if not injured (again) he will have a game of 200 yards....this year.  He is as smooth as silk running routes now.  A year even though injured has made a big difference.  Once again...the old guy's opinion.

20 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If he shows nothing special with Moncrief down, it is hard to imagine him being more than that (an occasional  deep threat) once Moncrief gets healthy.