Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Through three games, what are your thoughts on the rookies so far?

RockThatBlue

My only concern is that Haeg is showing a lot as a tackle prospect.  It looks like he'll be ready to start at RT and be effective for a long time. That give me the impression that Clark might be a wasted. Granted he's more raw than anyone else, but he seems the odd man out since everyone thinks he'd be wasted at RG. But we'll see though. 

The time is rapidly approaching to acknowledge that 4 of the 5 drafts since 2012 have been productive team building affairs.

We need more from '15 and '16 over time for this to be true, but it's not hard to see the initial talent. 2014 yielded 2 foundation building blocks despite lacking a first rounder - so it counts as a good draft to me - and you can even assign some value to the six sacks we got from Newsome as a rookie in a year that we went to the NFC championship game.

This may be the very reason that Irsay chose to roll the dice on the long game with this coach and GM

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My only concern is that Haeg is showing a lot as a tackle prospect.  It looks like he'll be ready to start at RT and be effective for a long time. That give me the impression that Clark might be a wasted. Granted he's more raw than anyone else, but he seems the odd man out since everyone thinks he'd be wasted at RG. But we'll see though. 

That's not a terrible problem to have. Let's say Haeg ends up being a top 10-15 RT and Clark develops into a very serviceable, starting RT himself. At that point, you either have fantastic depth on the ends, or you have an extremely valuable asset to put on the trade block to fill other holes. Any given year, half the league is looking for young talent at either of the tackle positions. Young serviceable starters can yield a great return.

If played right, it could end up being a huge boost to the team long-term.

On 26/9/2016 at 9:12 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

WHAAAAAAT? The defensive line has easily been the biggest weakness of this team thus far. Yesterday was the first time they were anywhere near decent.

disagree. its linebakcer play and IMO, is not close.

DL wasnt spectacular first 2 games but we had injured bodies

14 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I think it's debatable who has been worse between the d-line and LBs, but to me it's the d-line. A lot of the LB issues are directly related to the underwhelming performance of the d-line. Now that Henry Anderson is back and Kendall Langford remembered how to play, I expect the line to be much improved, but the first 2 weeks they were putrid.

Remember, my original response was to someone who claimed the defensive line has easily been the best unit on the team, not just defensively. That's absolute nonsense.

kendal didnt remember i think its clear he was rushed from injury and he is getting back now.

while i do agree DL wasnt spectacular....the whole defensive unit had been crap cause of injuries(except LB, they dont have injures). I mean who played betterr, the banged up secondary that gave up a gazillion yards? the LBs who cant cover TE's or RB? I mean look at the TE stats vs us? They are like 15/16 for 180 yds and a TD or something like that.

1 hour ago, Mameluc said:

kendal didnt remember i think its clear he was rushed from injury and he is getting back now.

while i do agree DL wasnt spectacular....the whole defensive unit had been crap cause of injuries(except LB, they dont have injures). I mean who played betterr, the banged up secondary that gave up a gazillion yards? the LBs who cant cover TE's or RB? I mean look at the TE stats vs us? They are like 15/16 for 180 yds and a TD or something like that.

My comment about Langford was a joke, obviously.

Every unit out played the defensive line, IMO. The Safeties have been the most consistent group on defense and the injury riddled CBs have played about as well as we could have hoped, really. Much of the yards you attribute to the "banged up secondary" falls on the LBs and dlines failure to create pressure and cover their responsibilities. As I said, I can see where people would say the LBs have been worse than the defensive line. 

On 9/27/2016 at 1:08 PM, Hoosiernsavga said:

TJ is not good in coverage but the Colts knew this drafting him. But he has all the intangibles to be very good. He's still raw at safety he will be going through some growing pains. I do believe he will be a leader on defense in the near future though. 

He isn't afraid of contact. He hits hard.

Kelly: I'm with the consensus that feels he has been pretty good thus far.

Haeg: Showing some real solid potential, particularly yesterday.

Ferguson: Pretty good receiving back. I'd like to see him hit the weight room so that the first person putting an arm tackle on him doesn't snatch him down immediately as has often been the case. 

Ridgeway: Doesn't get moved out often when he's squared up.

Green: No more stupid penalties please. Great physical talent.

Blythe: Typical prepared Iowa lineman. Needs time.

Morrison: Learning and seems willing to stick his nose in there.

Maggit: May be the only potential pass rusher in this group. Haven't seen enough.

Overall a quality crop of ROOKIES. Everybody has got to start somewhere. I believe by the second half these close losses may turn around. I hope its not too late.