Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacers needed to bring in Young and Christmas and Niang and Seraphim a bit more (Not all at once) and start fouling a bit more to get Milwaukee out of offensive rhythm. Bucks are just finding it to easy to get to the rim. They need to be made to feel uncomfortable like there is a price to pay. Right now there is no price to pay for getting to the basket. Waste some fouls on players that wont play much

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Pacers actually have the capability of playing Good Defense. Paul George is one of the best defenders in the league and our Big's have nice length. What I seen tonight was just a lack of hustle and lazy play.

If Al doesn't perform offensively than that was the worst pickup we could get as he adds nothing defensively. Might as well have kept Mahimi. Teague is awful defensively while George Hill was really good.

I'll believe this defense could be good when I see it. Coach needs to get in them and have them play harder. Maybe it's the pace but they definitely need to communicate better. All 5 games have been ugly. We have to be bottom of the league in points allowed after tonight.

Man that LeBron is Great. Cavs are now 5-0. Regarding his all-time player ranking not sure where I would put him? I still didn't care for him leaving Cleveland in his prime just so he could win an easy Ring with Wade which was a given. I think Basketball was better back in the 80's for example, the players were more fundamentally sound and you could play rough back then regarding hard Fouls, etc. without getting suspended. Look at some of the players that came out in the 80's - Magic, Bird, then I.Thomas, Wilkins, Worthy, Stockton, Jordan, Barkley, Olajuwon, K.Malone, Pippen, and R.Miller just to name a few. You had athleticism and Great fundamentals that decade. As great as LeBron is I still think Jordan and Magic were definitely better - Magic's leadership was unmatched. LeBron, Bird, and Kobe are all pretty even. If I was doing an all-time Draft I would take Shaq over LeBron as a side note.

11 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

If Al doesn't perform offensively than that was the worst pickup we could get as he adds nothing defensively. Might as well have kept Mahimi. Teague is awful defensively while George Hill was really good.

I'll believe this defense could be good when I see it. Coach needs to get in them and have them play harder. Maybe it's the pace but they definitely need to communicate better. All 5 games have been ugly. We have to be bottom of the league in points allowed after tonight.

Yeah it doesn't look good right now, cant debate that.

I've never been a fan of Bird letting go of Vogel from the get go. It was a dumb move that set the team back. Why did we ever hire McMilan and why was he the only candidate to be interviewed? The defense is HORRIBLE and we give up so many turnovers. That's a result of bad coaching. 

McMillan is a 10+ year experienced NBA coach that has only won ONE playoff series. What made him the right hire? 

As for Bird his offseason moves have been disappointing.

Al Jefferson looks washed and slow. Non-existent defense.

Jeff Teague is a turnover machine and a defense liability. 

Thad Young is a solid player, but not involved enough on offense.

6 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

He's the one that sacrificed defense for offense. 

he was right in doing it. The team we had reached its potential in Hibbert, West. Hill. Just because the team is struggling early on doesn't mean the wrong decision was made in moving on. It was the right decision. We have a couple problems but deciding to move on isn't one of them

What I think needs to happen is we need to play with a little bit more of a ball control offense with another big next to Turner that can better get offensive rebounds and move Young to the bench because he is primarily just an offensive player and we already have PG, Ellis, Turner, Teague who are options before Young. We need a rebounder at the 4 who can better disrupt shots to. He doesn't need to be involved offensively. We can still run without him

Moving Young to the bench also gives us much needed offense off the bench to

Early returns haven't been promising, but it's still really early in the season.  These guys need more time to gel and get that chemistry.  I do think the talent is higher this year than last year.  My only question coming into the season was the coaching, and that's still a question to me, but it's still really early in the season.  No reason to worry.

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

he was right in doing it. The team we had reached its potential in Hibbert, West. Hill. Just because the team is struggling early on doesn't mean the wrong decision was made in moving on. It was the right decision. We have a couple problems but deciding to move on isn't one of them

What I think needs to happen is we need to play with a little bit more of a ball control offense with another big next to Turner that can better get offensive rebounds and move Young to the bench because he is primarily just an offensive player and we already have PG, Ellis, Turner, Teague who are options before Young. We need a rebounder at the 4 who can better disrupt shots to. He doesn't need to be involved offensively. We can still run without him

Moving Young to the bench also gives us much needed offense off the bench to

We don't have anybody that can do what Young does with the first unit. He's the only one giving effort right now. What we need to do on offense is be more aggressive. Teague, Ellis, and PG need to use the pick and roll to free themselves and draw more fouls. Too many jump shots are being taken especially from PG.

If they are doubled then we need to have more pick and pop game with the two bigs who are both consistent mid range shooters. I hate when this offense sets a pick and roll and just does nothing with it.

It is still early but Thad Young is definitely not the problem.

29 minutes ago, MTC said:

I've never been a fan of Bird letting go of Vogel from the get go. It was a dumb move that set the team back. Why did we ever hire McMilan and why was he the only candidate to be interviewed? The defense is HORRIBLE and we give up so many turnovers. That's a result of bad coaching. 

McMillan is a 10+ year experienced NBA coach that has only won ONE playoff series. What made him the right hire? 

Shouldn't be that much of an overreaction to 5 games. It is bad right now but this group has never played together.

The reason Macmillan was hired is because he knows the players and Bird was convinced that Dan Burke was the real reason for our consistent top 5 defense. He just wanted more offense. Isn't looking good now but I have to give Nate a season at least.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

We don't have anybody that can do what Young does with the first unit. He's the only one giving effort right now. What we need to do on offense is be more aggressive. Teague, Ellis, and PG need to use the pick and roll to free themselves and draw more fouls. Too many jump shots are being taken especially from PG.

If they are doubled then we need to have more pick and pop game with the two bigs who are both consistent mid range shooters. I hate when this offense sets a pick and roll and just does nothing with it.

It is still early but Thad Young is definitely not the problem.

We are giving up 11.6 offensive rebounds a game which is 22nd in the league . But prior to tonight we were shooting 46%. Pace is the problem. We don't slow it down enough. To slow it down however we are going to have to add a 2nd rebounder in next to Turner because if we play a little bit more half court game we will miss more shots because the defense will be set more often and as it is several of our best players are good or great scorers but not great shooters in the half court

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

We are giving up 11.6 offensive rebounds a game which is 22nd in the league . But prior to tonight we were shooting 46%. Pace is the problem. We don't slow it down enough. To slow it down however we are going to have to add a 2nd rebounder in next to Turner because if we play a little bit more half court game we will miss more shots because the defense will be set more often and as it is several of our best players are good or great scorers but not great shooters in the half court

1. The only reason MacMillan is here is to pick up the pace so I don't know how much more they are going to slow it down but I agree they need to.

2. Thad Young averaged 9 boards last year next to Brook Lopez. He's a fine rebounder. I think slowing it down would help him get more boards honestly.

What do you guys think about CJ Miles starting and Monta Ellis coming off the bench?

On one hand it may be too early to split this starting unit up but on the other hand it would give us more size and 3 point shooting in the starting lineup and give us more bench playmaking and scoring.