Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I read somewhere that every LeBron team has had some sort of mid-season slump, but they always do just fine when the playoffs come around.  I think it'll be the same case here.

I think they'll be fine to win the East but I don't see then winning the finals.  Depending on Durant's health, I think the Warriors or Spurs are going to win it all. 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have no reason to believe that the Cavs wont win the East. The East still doesn't have any world beaters and LeBron is the best player in the East. Wizards are becoming very solid and so are the Celtics but in a series I think Cavs will find a way to beat either. If Duran gets healthy I do think the Warriors will have too much for them though in the Finals. I also think the Spurs have too much for them as well. Both of those teams will also have HCA if they play the Cavs in the Finals.

We share the same exact opinion :thmup:

Well Stuckey got waived. That's good. We need to bring in a guard that will better fit with the bench. We're doomed if Brooks plays too many minutes or if Brooks and/or Teague have to play shooting guard.

Looks like we are re-signing Lance. I don't think he is a fit but there is literally no offense off the bench if they are not going to draw up plays for CJ Miles so he will help in that regard. But he is the definition of a ball stopper.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What is going on?

I have no idea....like Larry is just trolling all of us. Is he trying to force Paul to LA?? It didn't work last time...I'm not sure how it would this time. Maybe he thinks we will play Cleveland in RD1 so he wants to punk Lebron again. This team is a mess.....top to bottom. That is why I'm in favor of blowing it up and starting over with all those draft picks we could have got for Paul.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

3 years 12 million??? That is ridiculous. If you thought he was worth that much you should have just signed him at the beginning of the season.

I believe this year will count, so it's practically a one year deal. 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure how bringing back LS will work

If you ask me, this is 100% a wait-and-see situation.  For all we know, being back in Indy and playing with Paul George and having Larry Bird around could be what Lance needs to be a spark again.  With a team as uninspired and stagnant as the Pacers, having a spark like Lance could really set things in the right direction.  At the same time, Lance has been a shell of his former self in the last couple of years, so it's fair to have low expectations.

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

YES!!!!!!!!

1. Refuses to sign a 5 year, $44 mil deal. 

2. Plays like crap for a few years. 

3. Gets signed to a vet min. deal.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have no idea....like Larry is just trolling all of us. Is he trying to force Paul to LA?? It didn't work last time...I'm not sure how it would this time. Maybe he thinks we will play Cleveland in RD1 so he wants to punk Lebron again. This team is a mess.....top to bottom. That is why I'm in favor of blowing it up and starting over with all those draft picks we could have got for Paul.

I don't think it's as big a mess as we think.  Paul George is good for 20 points and 6 rebounds a night.  Myles Turner can put up 15 and 7.  Teague can put up 15 points and 8 assists.  There is plenty of talent available.  I think a good coach would have this team competing with Toronto and Washington.  The talent is there, the coaching staff just can't put it together.  Retrospect is 20/20, but hiring D'Antoni would have been nice.  I think Bird's #1 priority this offseason should be finding a new head coach

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If you ask me, this is 100% a wait-and-see situation.  For all we know, being back in Indy and playing with Paul George and having Larry Bird around could be what Lance needs to be a spark again.  With a team as uninspired and stagnant as the Pacers, having a spark like Lance could really set things in the right direction.  At the same time, Lance has been a shell of his former self in the last couple of years, so it's fair to have low expectations.

1. Refuses to sign a 5 year, $44 mil deal. 

2. Plays like crap for a few years. 

3. Gets signed to a vet min. deal.

I don't think it's as big a mess as we think.  Paul George is good for 20 points and 6 rebounds a night.  Myles Turner can put up 15 and 7.  Teague can put up 15 points and 8 assists.  There is plenty of talent available.  I think a good coach would have this team competing with Toronto and Washington.  The talent is there, the coaching staff just can't put it together.  Retrospect is 20/20, but hiring D'Antoni would have been nice.  I think Bird's #1 priority this offseason should be finding a new head coach

Oh...McMillan is an awful coach...Larry has just cashed it in at this point. He has gone from a hero to a zero here in Indiana. All that good will from putting together such a great team and coaching those first few years...he is in Jackson land right now...gone full senile. I mean lets be honest here....the stench of desperation on this team is putrid. I'm sure this is something Paul had to ask for so Bird signed him through next year to keep PG happy but introducing this * to our Myles and our young guys is just the dumbest thing I've ever seen. On a veteran team that could keep him in check in Memphis or Cleveland or GS is one thing....on a young team that your trying to mold players like Myles and Robinson etc...this is just dumb. At least the Pacers will be fun to watch...because they've been a bore. I guess the karma of getting rid of Crean has come back to bite me....the basketball gods just had to have the last laugh lol.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh...McMillan is an awful coach...Larry has just cashed it in at this point. He has gone from a hero to a zero here in Indiana. All that good will from putting together such a great team and coaching those first few years...he is in Jackson land right now...gone full senile. I mean lets be honest here....the stench of desperation on this team is putrid. I'm sure this is something Paul had to ask for so Bird signed him through next year to keep PG happy but introducing this * to our Myles and our young guys is just the dumbest thing I've ever seen. On a veteran team that could keep him in check in Memphis or Cleveland or GS is one thing....on a young team that your trying to mold players like Myles and Robinson etc...this is just dumb. At least the Pacers will be fun to watch...because they've been a bore. I guess the karma of getting rid of Crean has come back to bite me....the basketball gods just had to have the last laugh lol.

This Pacers squad needs leadership and toughness, which are two things Lance can bring.  I'm not saying this is going to save the season, but there's definitely some rationale behind it.  Bird isn't signing people for the sake of signing people.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So when is TH coming back? I mean he is playing with the Mad Antz right. Tyler could do the banging for us and let Myles float around the perimeter. Just go full blown crazy on people these last few games!

A lot of fans actually say Psycho T is exactly what this team needs right now.  Some toughness and hustle and someone to rebound.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This Pacers squad needs leadership and toughness, which are two things Lance can bring.  I'm not saying this is going to save the season, but there's definitely some rationale behind it.  Bird isn't signing people for the sake of signing people.

I respectfully disagree with your accessment of the Pacers current situation...and Lance's current ability to help the team....and the only rationale I see behind it is to satisfy Paul George. If anyone thought that Lance could still help them he would have stuck at any of the numerous 10 days he has had already. Its desperation mode in Indy...and this wreck of roster hopefully will soon be purged and fixed....by a new GM.

34 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

A lot of fans actually say Psycho T is exactly what this team needs right now.  Some toughness and hustle and someone to rebound.

Sure they need it...but to think Tyler and Lance can save this shipwreck...yeah...not so much...people need to listen to the words that are coming out of their mouth....this isn't 2012...its 2017.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I respectfully disagree with your accessment of the Pacers current situation...and Lance's current ability to help the team....and the only rationale I see behind it is to satisfy Paul George. If anyone thought that Lance could still help them he would have stuck at any of the numerous 10 days he has had already. Its desperation mode in Indy...and this wreck of roster hopefully will soon be purged and fixed....by a new GM.

Every situation is different.  The reason why this might work is because it worked a few years ago.  Lance is now back playing on the same franchise, led by the same star in Paul George, and a front office led by the same guy in Larry Bird.  I'm not saying this will work.  For all we know, Lance adds nothing and the Pacers get swept in the first round of the playoffs.  I'm just saying there's some reason to have cautious optimism.  Same thing with Hansbrough.  There's some reason to think it might work, but also some reason to think it won't. 

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Every situation is different.  The reason why this might work is because it worked a few years ago.  Lance is now back playing on the same franchise, led by the same star in Paul George, and a front office led by the same guy in Larry Bird.  I'm not saying this will work.  For all we know, Lance adds nothing and the Pacers get swept in the first round of the playoffs.  I'm just saying there's some reason to have cautious optimism.  Same thing with Hansbrough.  There's some reason to think it might work, but also some reason to think it won't. 

Your more optimistic than myself....I'm still not sold we make the playoffs....but Lance will always make it more entertaining for sure.

giphy.gif

Ready for this?? :lol:

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Your more optimistic than myself....I'm still not sold we make the playoffs....but Lance will always make it more entertaining for sure.

giphy.gif

Ready for this?? :lol:

haha That's better defense than they're currently playing.  I think they'll make the playoffs.  I think the Pacers have 3 games on the Heat, so I think we'll sneak in with the 7th or 8th seed.  What happens from there is anyone's guess

I struggle to root for the Pacers anymore, and I've been a fan since 91 when I was 5 years old. I love George, but it's obvious this team will never win a championship. The NBA is too much about big market teams that all the FA's and big time players want to go to. 

We could never have a KD/Curry/Kyrie/James/Leonard(LOL)/Harden type of superstars.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

haha That's better defense than they're currently playing.  I think they'll make the playoffs.  I think the Pacers have 3 games on the Heat, so I think we'll sneak in with the 7th or 8th seed.  What happens from there is anyone's guess

Yeah we will probably back into the playoffs. Have you seen Lance lately...I swear he looks like the pillsbury dough boy....he looked very puffy. I don't think he is in shape but maybe he can give them 10 mins a night. Can't play worse defense than Monta.

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I struggle to root for the Pacers anymore, and I've been a fan since 91 when I was 5 years old. I love George, but it's obvious this team will never win a championship. The NBA is too much about big market teams that all the FA's and big time players want to go to. 

We could never have a KD/Curry/Kyrie/James/Leonard(LOL)/Harden type of superstars.

Imagine if we kept Leonard and George....yeah we could be a contender. That's how GS did it and OKC. You have to draft great and develop talent but those are all small markets so it's possible...just not if Bird keeps trading picks away for over the hill or marginal players like has in the past.

I hope Lance comes in with his head on straight. The last couple of years have not went how he expected. Hopefully he has grown and learned.

It seems silly to sign him to a 3 year deal for $12 million. However, in the new CBA that is nothing.

I do believe that Lance can bring what this team has been missing at shooting guard since.....well he left. I'm not excited in terms of thinking that he is going to turn into a major difference maker. I am hopeful that Lance will play well and will be rooting for him to succeed.

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I love it...we need him..he never should have left...

.....Lance knows he is still held in high regard here by a lot of fans and by Larry..

...and when you say we need tough ness and leadership and a little attitude...you are 1000% right

23 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

If Myles Turner can start playing like KAT by getting a post game and using his jump shot sparingly, and we add some shooting we could do something next year. Myles plays way too soft right now.

Don't get your hopes up on Turner becoming a post player. Thats never been his game. 

28 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Don't get your hopes up on Turner becoming a post player. Thats never been his game. 

He's only 21. One year in college. 2 years in the NBA. He can learn. I don't think he can guard stretch 4's so center may be where he has to stay.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

3 games? We are tied with them after our loss tonight and their win. We're only like 1.5 games in front of the Bulls for 9th and we have the Raptors and Cavs on the road in our next two games. Not looking good at all.

16 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

He's only 21. One year in college. 2 years in the NBA. He can learn. I don't think he can guard stretch 4's so center may be where he has to stay.

That's the trick bag he's in..

He isn't fast enough to guard 'stretch 4s" or small 4s. (when other teams go small..

..and he isn't big enough to handle guys like Karl Anthony Towns or Whiteside.

He's got to become a much better shooter because nobody blocks his jumper//

12 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

3 games? We are tied with them after our loss tonight and their win. We're only like 1.5 games in front of the Bulls for 9th and we have the Raptors and Cavs on the road in our next two games. Not looking good at all.

we had to win one of these last 2..

...our ship may have sailed...and sunk