MTC

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

5,711 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2016 at 3:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am looking forward to the NBA because the Pacers are a Top 5 team in the league. My current Top 10 team rankings heading into the season are:

1. Warriors - Have to be #1 because of the addition of Durant to go with Curry/Thompson/Green.

2. Cavs - They are the Champs and have LeBron!

3. Spurs - No Duncan but still have Pop Coaching + Leonard/Parker/Aldridge/P.Gasol.

4. Pacers - PG, Teague, Turner, and depth.

5. Celtics - Picking up Horford was big, I see them a 3 Seed in the East. Thomas is Very Good and Stevens is a Great Coach.

6. Clippers - They have a lot of talent with CP3/Griffin/Jordan but always choke in the Playoffs.

7. Grizzlies - With Gasol back and Conley signed this team will be a 4 Seed in the West. ZBo is still a beast as well.

8. Raptors - I see them as a 4 Seed in the East, Good Big's and + Lowry/Derozan.

9. Blazers - D. Lillard is a SuperStar IMO.

10. OKC - I still like them as a Top 10 team in the league because of Westbrook and they have Good Big's. Without Durant they will be lucky to make it out of the 1st Round in the West though.

 

Thoughts?

 

 

Here's my take.  I agree with your top 4.  I personally think the Celtics are overrated.   I think they'll finish between 4-7 in the East.  I also think the Raptors are slightly overrated.  I also see that a lot of people are high on the Pistons, I love Van Gundy but I don't see it. Here are my top 10 teams.

 

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Cavs

4. Pacers

5. Clippers

6. Grizzlies

7. Blazers

8. Raptors

9. Thunder

10. Bulls (I am biased, and there flying under the radar)

 

East Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Pacers

2. Cavs (make finals)

3. Raptors

4. Bulls

5. Celtics

6. Knicks

7. Hornets

8. Hawks


West Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Warriors (make finals, win it all in 2017)

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Blazers

5. Grizzlies

6. Thunder

7. Rockets

8. Timberwolves (I think they will be a surprise team this year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Here's my take.  I agree with your top 4.  I personally think the Celtics are overrated.   I think they'll finish between 4-7 in the East.  I also think the Raptors are slightly overrated.  I also see that a lot of people are high on the Pistons, I love Van Gundy but I don't see it. Here are my top 10 teams.

 

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Cavs

4. Pacers

5. Clippers

6. Grizzlies

7. Blazers

8. Raptors

9. Thunder

10. Bulls (I am biased, and there flying under the radar)

 

East Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Pacers

2. Cavs (make finals)

3. Raptors

4. Bulls

5. Celtics

6. Knicks

7. Hornets

8. Hawks


West Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Warriors (make finals, win it all in 2017)

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Blazers

5. Grizzlies

6. Thunder

7. Rockets

8. Timberwolves (I think they will be a surprise team this year)

Yeah I agree with most of this, I do think however the Celtics will be a little better than where you have them. They are one of the few teams that gives 100% on a nightly basis. What I mean by that is I cant recall a game where I have ever seen that team play lazy Basketball. Picking up Horford was huge and I think Thomas is a borderline SuperStar, definitely plays like an All-Star. Brad Stevens is a Great Coach. I have the Bulls the 5th best team in the East if you are wondering only behind the Cavs, Pacers, Celtics, and Raptors. I have always been a Wade fan and I still think he has a couple of seasons left in the tank. I have Cavs over Pacers in the ECFinals, Warriors over Spurs in WCFinals, Warriors over Cavs in the Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree with most of this, I do think however the Celtics will be a little better than where you have them. They are one of the few teams that gives 100% on a nightly basis. What I mean by that is I cant recall a game where I have ever seen that team play lazy Basketball. Picking up Horford was huge and I think Thomas is a borderline SuperStar, definitely plays like an All-Star. Brad Stevens is a Great Coach. I have the Bulls the 5th best team in the East if you are wondering only behind the Cavs, Pacers, Celtics, and Raptors. I have always been a Wade fan and I still think he has a couple of seasons left in the tank. I have Cavs over Pacers in the ECFinals, Warriors over Spurs in WCFinals, Warriors over Cavs in the Finals.

We're pretty dang close.  I think the Cavs will rest LeBron a lot this year. More than normal years, therefore that's why I think the Pacers will get the #1 seed.  They need that, home court advantage throughout would give them a chance.  I get what you're saying about the Celtics(they play hard every night, have a great coach and added Horford) but I am just not 100% sold.  I think 3-8 is wide open to be honest(in both the East and West). 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree with most of this, I do think however the Celtics will be a little better than where you have them. They are one of the few teams that gives 100% on a nightly basis. What I mean by that is I cant recall a game where I have ever seen that team play lazy Basketball. Picking up Horford was huge and I think Thomas is a borderline SuperStar, definitely plays like an All-Star. Brad Stevens is a Great Coach. I have the Bulls the 5th best team in the East if you are wondering only behind the Cavs, Pacers, Celtics, and Raptors. I have always been a Wade fan and I still think he has a couple of seasons left in the tank. I have Cavs over Pacers in the ECFinals, Warriors over Spurs in WCFinals, Warriors over Cavs in the Finals.

I am just ready for the NBA season to start.  My team should be interesting and the Pacers have a great opportunity.  Unlike the Colts we both have something to look forward to during NBA season (wins) haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

We're pretty dang close.  I think the Cavs will rest LeBron a lot this year. More than normal years, therefore that's why I think the Pacers will get the #1 seed.  They need that, home court advantage throughout would give them a chance.  I get what you're saying about the Celtics(they play hard every night, have a great coach and added Horford) but I am just not 100% sold.  I think 3-8 is wide open to be honest(in both the East and West). 

Yeah 3-8 is wide open in each Conference I agree. It wouldn't even be a stretch to say the Bulls could finish with the 3rd best record in the East if the Celtics and Raptors don't live up to their billing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 3-8 is wide open in each Conference I agree. It wouldn't even be a stretch to say the Bulls could finish with the 3rd best record in the East if the Celtics and Raptors don't live up to their billing.

I get this weird feeling that the Raptors won't be nearly as good as last year. They were number 2 in the East mainly because the East was terrible. I think the East will be better this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Wasn't able to watch tonight, any thoughts?

I have been at work so missed it as well - was extremely busy earlier, barely could keep tabs on the Cubs game. I just checked the BoxScore out and seen we lost 111-103. PG had 18 Points in the loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched or followed any of the pre-season games. Does the team look good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any interest in Yogi Ferrell.....Nets cut him......pick him up...send him to the CBA....

 

I still think he can play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2016 at 5:48 PM, MTC said:

I haven't watched or followed any of the pre-season games. Does the team look good?

The offense looked good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East:

1. Cavs

2. Celtics

3. Pacers

4. Raptors

5. Bulls

6. Pistons

7. Knicks

8. Magic/Hawks (can't decide)

 

West:

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Grizzlies

5. Jazz

6. Thunder

7. Trail Blazers

8. Rockets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

any interest in Yogi Ferrell.....Nets cut him......pick him up...send him to the CBA....

 

I still think he can play

I am personally tired of hearing my friends say this just because he played at IU. He has shown nothing to prove he deserves an NBA roster spot. He is too short and does not have the skills to overcome his size in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I am personally tired of hearing my friends say this just because he played at IU. He has shown nothing to prove he deserves an NBA roster spot. He is too short and does not have the skills to overcome his size in my opinion. 

you may be right..his size is a major issue.....but, you wouldnt want to NOT give an all-Big-10 player a chance with the in-state team just BECAUSE  he played college here.  He's a natural lead guard. They are somewhat rare.

 

I dont know what he showed the Nets min training camp but even assuming they agreed with you when they let him go.

In the CBA, he could show us (the Pacers) whether he can play pro ball or not at his size... Doesn't cost much.  Its like having an extra draft choice

Edited by oldunclemark
incomplete
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

you may be right..his size is a major issue.....but, you wouldnt want to NOT give an all-Big-10 player a chance with the in-state team just BECAUSE  he played college here.  He's a natural lead guard. They are somewhat rare.

 

I dont know what he showed the Nets min training camp but even assuming they agreed with you when they let him go.

In the CBA, he could show us (the Pacers) whether he can play pro ball or not at his size... Doesn't cost much.  Its like having an extra draft choice

Anybody we get would be considered an extra draft pick. Yogi went undrafted. We just picked up Ben Bentil who actually was selected one pick after George Niang. He has a better shot to be someone than Yogi does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Anybody we get would be considered an extra draft pick. Yogi went undrafted. We just picked up Ben Bentil who actually was selected one pick after George Niang. He has a better shot to be someone than Yogi does.

Bentl can rebound, shoot well especially from corners and can run the floor.  That was a great pickup IMO.

 

Larry sees what he has seen with Robinson II.  Look at Providence clips from 2015/16 season.  The Big East tournament was a good showing for him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I am personally tired of hearing my friends say this just because he played at IU. He has shown nothing to prove he deserves an NBA roster spot. He is too short and does not have the skills to overcome his size in my opinion. 

Yogi was a great leader for IU  He can dominate some of the CBA teams I have watched.  He deserves a chance 'somewhere.'

 

I have been one of his critics along the way.  He can run the break very well. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would like to see if Joe Young has improved before looking at Yogi.

I think we saw that in Summer League he really hasn't. Not from a lead guard skills stand point anyway. I think if Larry had much faith in Young to be a true lead guard we would not have brought in both Teague and Aaron Brooks. I think Larry actually realized he needed to change his approach with finding a lead guard and so he traded Hill who is not a lead guard for Teague who is more of a lead guard...Yet still not as much of one as I would like though

 

Joe should get some minutes unless they send him to the D League to continue to work which I think is a good idea. He will have trouble getting many minutes though behind Brooks I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Yogi wasn't talented enough to make the horrible Nets roster, then why would he be a good pickup for Indiana?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign Archie Goodwin right now!  I know we can't since he has to clear waivers and chances of him slipping to us are almost 0, but I'm surprised the Suns cut him.  He's looked good when he's played.

 

I also don't think the Warriors have a shot at the Finals this year.  To win in the NBA, and all pro sports, you need depth.  The Warriors are too top-heavy.  And they lack muscle.  Who is their post man?  Can Draymond Green really play against guys with the strength and size of Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan?  It'll be far too easy to just put the ball in the post and let your bigs go to work.  Who on the Warriors roster can stop Giannis Antetokounmpo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

How many games do the Pacers win this year?

I say 47-49.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTC said:

If Yogi wasn't talented enough to make the horrible Nets roster, then why would he be a good pickup for Indiana?

Nicely put

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sign Archie Goodwin right now!  I know we can't since he has to clear waivers and chances of him slipping to us are almost 0, but I'm surprised the Suns cut him.  He's looked good when he's played.

 

I also don't think the Warriors have a shot at the Finals this year.  To win in the NBA, and all pro sports, you need depth.  The Warriors are too top-heavy.  And they lack muscle.  Who is their post man?  Can Draymond Green really play against guys with the strength and size of Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan?  It'll be far too easy to just put the ball in the post and let your bigs go to work.  Who on the Warriors roster can stop Giannis Antetokounmpo?

 

David West. 

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Only 1 game, but color me unimpressed of the Knicks. 

 

I have no idea why everyone was hyping them up as Eastern contender.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MTC said:

 

I have no idea why everyone was hyping them up as Eastern contender.

I think they have a decent starting five but nothing special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MTC said:

 

David West. 

 

:D

I'm a big fan, to be honest.  But what is he now, 37?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm a big fan, to be honest.  But what is he now, 37?

 

36. 

 

I'm watching the Spurs/Warriors game and he's looked decent so far. Made a nice dunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the 76ers crowd. No matter how bad the team is they are always hype.

 

Good start for the Pacers too. Up and down as expected. They need to stay in front of Barea when he drives and take away the open 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im recording the game while watching Cubs World Series. Going to watch the Pacers after the Cubs and then comment later on it.

 

Pacers have to do a better job of guarding the 3 point line in the 2nd half but otherwise they have been playing well. 15 assists already. They need to keep attacking the basket and around the rim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.