Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

Pacers need to look into signing JR Smith to be their SG. Looks like its a real possibility that he won't return to Cleveland. He's a reliable sharpshooter and at 6'6, he can play some good D. Two things the pacer's were looking for in a SG. I would like the back court of Teague and Smith better then Teague & Ellis. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bulls game was pretty good I'm really happy to see the changes I realize we are just getting started but this team has me pumped . 

I heard Ellis was dealing with injury issues last year so I'm willing to give him time he did look better than last year but he & Stuckey & Allen are not my on my list of faves I'm sold on the team just not that trio although Allen may not be getting much credit from me I do wonder what you guys think .

As a Caveman from Cali I readily admit until I came to Indiana I was not much into sports . 

2 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Pacers need to look into signing JR Smith to be their SG. Looks like its a real possibility that he won't return to Cleveland. He's a reliable sharpshooter and at 6'6, he can play some good D. Two things the pacer's were looking for in a SG. I would like the back court of Teague and Smith better then Teague & Ellis. 

Remember you said that....

JR can drive you crazy with his....streak shooting and occasional defense..

5 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I'm cool with Ellis if he continues to play like he did these first two games. Don't feel comfortable giving Smith 15 million plus per year.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He would be a nice addition. I would put him in when PG is out. Plus he knows the Cavs inside and out. He actually has matured a lot and has become a great person and a great dad to his daughter.

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The Bulls game was pretty good I'm really happy to see the changes I realize we are just getting started but this team has me pumped . 

I heard Ellis was dealing with injury issues last year so I'm willing to give him time he did look better than last year but he & Stuckey & Allen are not my on my list of faves I'm sold on the team just not that trio although Allen may not be getting much credit from me I do wonder what you guys think .

As a Caveman from Cali I readily admit until I came to Indiana I was not much into sports . 

We aren't the Lakers in terms of Championships but little ol Indy has the Colts and Pacers who both have a nice winning tradition. I wish Reggie could've won 1, he got there but Kobe and Shaq were too much to handle. 1998 is when we should've won, we had Jordan beat but couldn't close in Game 7.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't the Lakers in terms of Championships but little ol Indy has the Colts and Pacers who both have a nice winning tradition. I wish Reggie could've won 1, he got there but Kobe and Shaq were too much to handle. 1998 is when we should've won, we had Jordan beat but couldn't close in Game 7.

I moved here in 83 was bored to tears so I. U & Bobby Knight was my intro into basketball & then it was Lou Holtz & Notre Dame then the Pacers , Hicks versus Knicks with Spike Lee back then I got a kick out of watching the Knicks fans in the back ground there faces were hilarious after Reggie would bury a basket , I remember he had something like maybe 6 points in the closing seconds of the game maybe 8 & there face gasps & looks on there faces was hysterical .  I never liked Jordan & The Championship Series with the Lakers I remember . 

Growing up I went to Dodger games watching Garvey Cey & Dusty Baker & Angel games , L.A Memorial Coliseum for the Rams but I was just a casual fan , Coming to Indiana there just was'nt the distractions of the Beach the San Gabriel mountains or Desert so I really started to enjoy sports alot but IMO I'm not a very good evaluator of talent .

Take Lavoy Allen for instance I'v not been a big fan of his why keep him & not Jan Mahimi ?  Stucky I kinda like especially his first season , Solo Hill  why did we let him go ? I always liked him . I don't understand the little things was it money or just an overabundance of players at the same position or chemistry . Its the little things that elude me .

The new look Pacers in these first to games have impressed me with the defense & ball movement & the pace of the game as well as how hard everyone is playing I'm much happier so far than I'v been in years 

The Pacers in the Reggie years minus Artest were some of my best memories with Rickety Smits & the Davis's .

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

True, but NOT trying to crap on Ellis or anything but you basically just describe Monta of last season. Except Smith is a MUCH better 3 point shooter. Streaky or not, I would still trust Smith to knock down a three MUCH more then I would Ellis. And as far as Defense is concerned, I remember reading and article a couple of days ago explaining how much Smith means to the Cavs when defending opposing guards the Cavs went up against. Including in the play offs and the impact he had. I would just rather roll the dice with him as our SG over Ellis. And again I'm NOT trying to crap on Ellis. Ik he's a hard worker and good leader, but him and Teague in the backcourt still scares me. But its still early so who knows?

12 hours ago, Gavin said:

Damn good game tonight by multiple players, We cant expect to shoot nearly as well as we did from 3 often like we did tonight but several players had a good game. The biggest thing I took away from it however was at halftime and Paul George was interviewed he said he learned to find other ways to affect the game. I'm hoping that comes with the pass getting other involved because he can get his shot almost anytime he wants if he is aggressive and doesn't just settle for jump shots

I was most impressed by Thad Young and Glenn Robinson

Thaddius Young is a very good addition for us.

I watched the Pacers Bulls game last night and I was impressed by both teams.  I think the Pacers fans have a  lot to look forward to this year.  PG Teague SG Ellis SF George PF Young C Turner.  That's already the 2nd best starting line up in the east and throw in Miles, Big Al, Joe Young, Glen Robinson and LaVoy Allen and they have a solid bench too.  I wasn't very confident in what the Bulls did this off season,even though they needed a change, but the game last night made me feel a little bit better.  I think Wade and Rondo will both help.  It'll also be nice to have Lopez doing the dirty work and he can at least knock down a 12 footer from time to time.  I think the Cavs and Pacers are 1-2 this year in the East but 3-8 is wide open. I may be the only one but I am not sold on Boston or Toronto.  I can't wait until the season starts! 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:24 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He would be a nice addition. I would put him in when PG is out. Plus he knows the Cavs inside and out. He actually has matured a lot and has become a great person and a great dad to his daughter.

Its wonderful that he's a good daddy but he'll miss 10 shots in a row and you'll want to make an orphan out of her

Nobody wants to mention Al Jefferson leading a second unit each time out and making Stuckey look good?  Ellis is not playing well?  Damn guys you are very weak at analyzing if you do not give him positive remarks.

I would never want JR Smith on my team.  He is just a time bomb waiting to happen.  I am a great dad too, but I go back to being a **** in a moment's notice.  Just sayin' and I am not proud of it.

This team looks like a winner as is.  Let the boys play.  On nights Ellis does not play well or feel well, Start Glenn Robinson.  We have some fantastic interchangeable parts.

Glenn Robinson looks good..he clearly has worked on his shot....

But its his defense against small forwards and big guards that's going to matter..

Mighty Joe Young looks improved....George Niang is suprisingly effective against subs

I love Al Jefferson but he's not a great fit with us....

I like him against certain teams..Havent seen CJ Miles yet at all..is he hurt  or just doenst want to waste himself on the pre-season

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Glenn Robinson looks good..he clearly has worked on his shot....

But its his defense against small forwards and big guards that's going to matter..

Mighty Joe Young looks improved....George Niang is suprisingly effective against subs

I love Al Jefferson but he's not a great fit with us....

I like him against certain teams..Havent seen CJ Miles yet at all..is he hurt  or just doenst want to waste himself on the pre-season

Knee on CJ.  Precaution.

We have scored a lot of points with Jefferson in the lineup.

Agreed on Mighty Joe and Niang.

it was great for Robinson to guard Wade last night.

41 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Nobody wants to mention Al Jefferson leading a second unit each time out and making Stuckey look good?  Ellis is not playing well?  Damn guys you are very weak at analyzing if you do not give him positive remarks.

I would never want JR Smith on my team.  He is just a time bomb waiting to happen.  I am a great dad too, but I go back to being a **** in a moment's notice.  Just sayin' and I am not proud of it.

This team looks like a winner as is.  Let the boys play.  On nights Ellis does not play well or feel well, Start Glenn Robinson.  We have some fantastic interchangeable parts.

I like Ellis better but for more fire power off the bench I wouldn't mind JR is all I was really saying. He's very streaky and when he's hot he can be a nice asset as a bench player. Having said that I am fine with the way team is as.

With the NBA about to start and a lot of games being shown in UK, should I make the Pacers my NBA team the same way we have adopted the Colts as our NFL team?

Last season I chose Toronto as like the Glasgow Rocks (British Basketball League) they are the only team who play in a league made up of teams from a different country, however as I have now invested some emotional turmoil into the Colts I was wondering if The Pacers are as likely to put you through the same wringer while watching their games?

2 hours ago, kcccolts said:

With the NBA about to start and a lot of games being shown in UK, should I make the Pacers my NBA team the same way we have adopted the Colts as our NFL team?

Last season I chose Toronto as like the Glasgow Rocks (British Basketball League) they are the only team who play in a league made up of teams from a different country, however as I have now invested some emotional turmoil into the Colts I was wondering if The Pacers are as likely to put you through the same wringer while watching their games?

The Pacers have a far better chance at a championship than the Colts do.  The Pacers have a competent person in charge (Larry Bird), have lots of talent (the entire starting 5 has All-Star potential and Paul George has MVP potential).  The NBA season is really long, so I don't follow it as closely during the regular season; I view it as "play good enough to get into the playoffs, but don't go all out and try to win 65+ games each year".  Use the regular season as a stepping stone to make it to the playoffs, then go all out in the playoffs.

So don't get frustrated if the Pacers have a 3 game losing streak at some point during the regular season, or if the team isn't 10 games above .500.  But they have the talent to challenge the Cavs for 1st place in the East, could have the size to give Golden State some trouble, and are likely to be a top 3 team in the East this upcoming year.  The only question mark is the head coach.  Nate McMillan has some previous head coaching experience, but it's hard to know how things have changed for him since then.  Either way, there's a lot of excitement for the upcoming Pacers season.

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Pacers have a far better chance at a championship than the Colts do.  The Pacers have a competent person in charge (Larry Bird), have lots of talent (the entire starting 5 has All-Star potential and Paul George has MVP potential).  The NBA season is really long, so I don't follow it as closely during the regular season; I view it as "play good enough to get into the playoffs, but don't go all out and try to win 65+ games each year".  Use the regular season as a stepping stone to make it to the playoffs, then go all out in the playoffs.

So don't get frustrated if the Pacers have a 3 game losing streak at some point during the regular season, or if the team isn't 10 games above .500.  But they have the talent to challenge the Cavs for 1st place in the East, could have the size to give Golden State some trouble, and are likely to be a top 3 team in the East this upcoming year.  The only question mark is the head coach.  Nate McMillan has some previous head coaching experience, but it's hard to know how things have changed for him since then.  Either way, there's a lot of excitement for the upcoming Pacers season.

I agree. If LeBron wasn't in the East I think we would win the Conference with a healthy PG and our depth.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

My philosophy is that you give your best every night.  These days guy are only playing 22 minutes or so.  Of course more minutes when it call for it.  You go out there and beat people up every night.  

This will indeed be an exciting team.  I personally would trade CJ Miles at this point and play Glen Robinson in his place.

On 10/9/2016 at 0:32 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Ellis better but for more fire power off the bench I wouldn't mind JR is all I was really saying. He's very streaky and when he's hot he can be a nice asset as a bench player. Having said that I am fine with the way team is as.

I was not biting at you buddy.  Sorry if it came out that way. :)  

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

I was not biting at you buddy.  Sorry if it came out that way. :)  

Oh know I didn't take it that way. I was just explaining why I posted what I posted LOL. JR re-signed with the Cavs anyway so it's a moot point. I do love our team as constructed. Teague was a great addition and Turner I think will have a huge year.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh know I didn't take it that way. I was just explaining why I posted what I posted LOL. JR re-signed with the Cavs anyway so it's a moot point. I do love our team as constructed. Teague was a great addition and Turner I think will have a huge year.

After reading what I wrote, I kind of felt like a bum.  The ire for me was directed towards JR's antics through the years.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. If LeBron wasn't in the East I think we would win the Conference with a healthy PG and our depth.

Even with LeBron, we have a shot.  We gave the Cavs some tough games last year, and we improved the team from last year.  Plus, LeBron is playing less minutes during the regular season so they can save him for the playoffs, so winning the East is a very real possibility.

2 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

My philosophy is that you give your best every night.  These days guy are only playing 22 minutes or so.  Of course more minutes when it call for it.  You go out there and beat people up every night.  

This will indeed be an exciting team.  I personally would trade CJ Miles at this point and play Glen Robinson in his place.

I get that.  I just don't want to exhaust the players too early in the season.  I'd rather have guys fresh for the playoffs and play our best basketball in the playoffs than during the regular season.  What would you trade Miles and play GR3?  I haven't been following the preseason too closely, so I don't know what's going on with those guys

I am looking forward to the NBA because the Pacers are a Top 5 team in the league. My current Top 10 team rankings heading into the season are:

1. Warriors - Have to be #1 because of the addition of Durant to go with Curry/Thompson/Green.

2. Cavs - They are the Champs and have LeBron!

3. Spurs - No Duncan but still have Pop Coaching + Leonard/Parker/Aldridge/P.Gasol.

4. Pacers - PG, Teague, Turner, and depth.

5. Celtics - Picking up Horford was big, I see them a 3 Seed in the East. Thomas is Very Good and Stevens is a Great Coach.

6. Clippers - They have a lot of talent with CP3/Griffin/Jordan but always choke in the Playoffs.

7. Grizzlies - With Gasol back and Conley signed this team will be a 4 Seed in the West. ZBo is still a beast as well.

8. Raptors - I see them as a 4 Seed in the East, Good Big's and + Lowry/Derozan.

9. Blazers - D. Lillard is a SuperStar IMO.

10. OKC - I still like them as a Top 10 team in the league because of Westbrook and they have Good Big's. Without Durant they will be lucky to make it out of the 1st Round in the West though.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. We watched some of the Nba last year but wasn't really that into it. We watch the Glasgow rocks and most British fans also have an nba team so now I can say mine is the pacers. Sounds like they have a reasonable chance of success so it will be interesting to see how the season develops and I look forward to follow them.

it is also good to know I can come on here with any questions I may have. 

Thanks again

2 hours ago, kcccolts said:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. We watched some of the Nba last year but wasn't really that into it. We watch the Glasgow rocks and most British fans also have an nba team so now I can say mine is the pacers. Sounds like they have a reasonable chance of success so it will be interesting to see how the season develops and I look forward to follow them.

it is also good to know I can come on here with any questions I may have. 

Thanks again

You got it!  We have some really knowledgeable Pacers fans on here, so you're probably going to get a pretty solid discussion about the Pacers on these forums

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

You got it!  We have some really knowledgeable Pacers fans on here, so you're probably going to get a pretty solid discussion about the Pacers on these forums

Thanks again, you may regret saying that as the season goes on as I will no doubt show my lack of knowledge of all things NBA.

3 hours ago, kcccolts said:

Thanks again, you may regret saying that as the season goes on as I will no doubt show my lack of knowledge of all things NBA.

haha Don't sweat it.  We're all here to discuss, debate, and learn.  Your posts will contribute to the discussions.  I've probably made myself look like a complete fool with the stupid questions I've asked in the past.