Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I hope anybody but the Cavs or Warriors win the championship now. I'm a bit tired of both teams.

I think the Wizards are the only team that can take down the Cavs in the East.  I think the Spurs have a chance to beat Golden State but they are struggling to beat Memphis(just a bad match up).  I bet it'll be CLE GS again.  The NBA has never had the same 2 teams play in the Finals 3 years in a row.  Not even the Celtics Lakers in the 60's 70's or 80's did it. 

11 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I've got Rockets, Spurs and Jazz winning tonight

Yeah I do too. I hope OKC wins because I like Russ but I don't see it. I have always liked the Jazz as an organization ever since they drafted Karl Malone so I usually pull for them in most series. The Jazz are similar to the Pacers = a great small market success over 2 decades but no Championships. I wouldn't mind seeing the Grizzlies upset the Spurs just because nobody gave them a chance but I don't see that either.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I do too. I hope OKC wins because I like Russ but I don't see it. I have always liked the Jazz as an organization ever since they drafted Karl Malone so I usually pull for them in most series. The Jazz are similar to the Pacers = a great small market success over 2 decades but no Championships. I wouldn't mind seeing the Grizzlies upset the Spurs just because nobody gave them a chance but I don't see that either.

I definitely didn't expect the Grizzlies to win both games at home. And I hope the Jazz win because not only are they a good team with solid players, but I hate the Clippers with an extreme passion. Trash organization that is overhyped every year

11 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I definitely didn't expect the Grizzlies to win both games at home. And I hope the Jazz win because not only are they a good team with solid players, but I hate the Clippers with an extreme passion. Trash organization that is overhyped every year

I hate the Clippers too lmao 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most organizations are in the same place the Pacers are..Memphis is, too

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I feel bad for Westbrook, Durant left him high and dry and Westbrook is just flat out awesome. He is clearly the MVP this season. He averaged a TDB and just gives 100% on every play. Harden just has the better team, Houston advances.

..and OKC is in the same position we (the Pacers) are...

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah basically, PG doesn't have much help either.

..when you consider that we have to resign Jeff Teague and that's $15 mil.

..and that Myles Turner was bit of a disappointment late in the season..

....OKC and us both have to bring in 3 or 4 new guys

LeBron is the best player in the league so one can say he deserves MVP every year but Westbrook's season was special averaging a TDB. That has only been done once in the history of the NBA, Westbrook also lead the league in Scoring too. OKC made the Playoffs as well so they were a Good team to boot. Westbrook is better than Harden and Kawhi IMO.

Can someone explain Al Jefferson's contract....?

He's guaranteed through next season at $10 mil, right.

But he had a $24 mil cap hit THIS year. Does that open up $10 mil next season or am I looking at that wrong?

..and can we keep Thad Young at $13-$14 mil?

..Monta Ellis at $11.2

We kinda need that money

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Can someone explain Al Jefferson's contract....?

He's guaranteed through next season at $10 mil, right.

But he had a $24 mil cap hit THIS year. Does that open up $10 mil next season or am I looking at that wrong?

..and can we keep Thad Young at $13-$14 mil?

..Monta Ellis at $11.2

We kinda need that money

Al doesn't have a $24 million cap hit, that is the dead cap we have to account for if we cut him. Bird made a big mistake signing him and Ellis as well. I don't see how we get rid of those salaries... nobody wants Ellis or Jefferson. I think we'll only have like 23 million in cap space next year unless someone is stupid enough to trade with us.

That's why I think we have to consider trading Paul George. I don't think we'll be able to find the talent to put around him to win a championship this summer. We saw Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant on the same team and they couldn't even get it done and Durant left without giving OKC any compensation. I don't want the same to happen to us.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

CJ Miles, Aaron Brooks..LaVoy Allen are NOT guaranteed for next year but they aren't making much

Myles Turner, Lance and Glenn  are back at low price

CJ Miles is probably gone. Teams will pay a lot for his outside shooting and he will decline his player option. I don't think he is worth bringing back over a certain amount because of his lack of defense.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah cause that would be the first time in the history of sports that a player took less money to go to another team :facepalm:

The only thing I shake my head on is the fact that he'd take that much of a pay cut to go to a team that's in a much worse situation. I've seen tons of players take pay cuts to go to better teams but the Lakers are still 4-5 years away.  It is his home town though, so I think that plays a huge factor.

43 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

The only thing I shake my head on is the fact that he'd take that much of a pay cut to go to a team that's in a much worse situation. I've seen tons of players take pay cuts to go to better teams but the Lakers are still 4-5 years away.  It is his home town though, so I think that plays a huge factor.

He could go anywhere the whole nba will want him and yeah it being his home town makes a difference 

40 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

It's hard to compare the Pacers and the Lakers.   If I had to put money on who will win a championship first, it would go on the Lakers.   They have the ability to sign big time players where the Pacers can't.   The Pacers are also still set to be a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs in coming years (since they are in the East) and will not get the draft picks the Lakers will.   The Lakers have 2 first round picks in the draft although 1 or both may be traded.   In the current NBA, a large market team can turn things around fairly quickly.   If the Lakers had PG, I think the would contend for the 8th seed in the West.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

It's hard to compare the Pacers and the Lakers.   If I had to put money on who will win a championship first, it would go on the Lakers.   They have the ability to sign big time players where the Pacers can't.   The Pacers are also still set to be a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs in coming years (since they are in the East) and will not get the draft picks the Lakers will.   The Lakers have 2 first round picks in the draft although 1 or both may be traded.   In the current NBA, a large market team can turn things around fairly quickly.   If the Lakers had PG, I think the would contend for the 8th seed in the West.  

I don't disagree with what you said.  Here's my point.  The East is so weak so other than LeBron, with a decent team a player of George's caliber can get to the Finals.  It's a lot tougher in the West.  You look at 1-8 this year, I don't think any of those teams are going to drop off other than maybe Portland? Maybe the Clippers if they blow it up? The Lakers do have a nice young core(Ingram, Russell, Clarkson, Randle) and they will more than likely have the 1st or 2nd pick this year but they are still young and years away from getting into the playoff mix.  Indiana on the other hand, already has Myles Turner and Jeff Teague.  I think if they keep Lance, get rid of Big Al and Monta and bring in a decent SG and decent PF that they could contend in the East right away.  For example, imagine if Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward came to Indiana?  I am not saying it's going to happen but if they did, the Pacers become instant contenders.  For as much as George got frustrated this year in the playoffs with the Pacers, he's going to constantly be frustrated losing with the Lakers for a few years but if he wants to play there and be the next big star on the Lakers(his home town) then he'll have to deal with it.  I don't see the Lakers trading any part of their young nucleus to get him this year though.  If he doesn't sign an extension with the Pacers before the deadline, they got to find a trade partner for him. 

3 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't disagree with what you said.  Here's my point.  The East is so weak so other than LeBron, with a decent team a player of George's caliber can get to the Finals

Wow.. I didn't realize just how much better the West was until I looked at the standings and saw the 5th seed in the west was two game under the 1 seed in the east. Ouch.

No wonder Lebron gets a free ride in a fancy car

22 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Al doesn't have a $24 million cap hit, that is the dead cap we have to account for if we cut him. Bird made a big mistake signing him and Ellis as well. I don't see how we get rid of those salaries... nobody wants Ellis or Jefferson. I think we'll only have like 23 million in cap space next year unless someone is stupid enough to trade with us.

That's why I think we have to consider trading Paul George. I don't think we'll be able to find the talent to put around him to win a championship this summer. We saw Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant on the same team and they couldn't even get it done and Durant left without giving OKC any compensation. I don't want the same to happen to us.

They way we'd move them is if we trade for someone like Brooke Lopez..who makes $20 mil.

we've give up Big Al and Monta in matching salaries

..again...trading PG is just giving up.

I'm not afraid he'll leave and turn down $70 mil..but lets say you;re right...

we would them have a lot of cap space to sign someone else....it wouldnt end the franchise.

I want to take one more shot (one more season) with Paul.

Trading him now forfeits next season. I'm not willing to do that..and I dont think Larry is either,.

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Myles, what they have that we don't is the ability to go over the cap....

Magic will be allowed to spend whatever it takes

We don't talk about it much but the Cavs and Warriors are far over the cap...

..are we willing to go there..?

You can only turn things around quickly with free agents. There's no Paul George in college that I know of.

I just am so repulsed by the idea of trading your best player for the rights to 18-year-olds.

That's the expressway to the basement

13 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He could go anywhere the whole nba will want him and yeah it being his home town makes a difference 

and Magic Johnson makes a difference. (I know we have Larry Bird) but Magic can be a salesman from what I understand.

But no matter where the rumors says Paul George is going.,.he;s dropping $70,000,000 in the dumper to go there.

I will believe that when I see it