Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/18/2016 at 3:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am looking forward to the NBA because the Pacers are a Top 5 team in the league. My current Top 10 team rankings heading into the season are:

1. Warriors - Have to be #1 because of the addition of Durant to go with Curry/Thompson/Green.

2. Cavs - They are the Champs and have LeBron!

3. Spurs - No Duncan but still have Pop Coaching + Leonard/Parker/Aldridge/P.Gasol.

4. Pacers - PG, Teague, Turner, and depth.

5. Celtics - Picking up Horford was big, I see them a 3 Seed in the East. Thomas is Very Good and Stevens is a Great Coach.

6. Clippers - They have a lot of talent with CP3/Griffin/Jordan but always choke in the Playoffs.

7. Grizzlies - With Gasol back and Conley signed this team will be a 4 Seed in the West. ZBo is still a beast as well.

8. Raptors - I see them as a 4 Seed in the East, Good Big's and + Lowry/Derozan.

9. Blazers - D. Lillard is a SuperStar IMO.

10. OKC - I still like them as a Top 10 team in the league because of Westbrook and they have Good Big's. Without Durant they will be lucky to make it out of the 1st Round in the West though.

Thoughts?

Here's my take.  I agree with your top 4.  I personally think the Celtics are overrated.   I think they'll finish between 4-7 in the East.  I also think the Raptors are slightly overrated.  I also see that a lot of people are high on the Pistons, I love Van Gundy but I don't see it. Here are my top 10 teams.

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Cavs

4. Pacers

5. Clippers

6. Grizzlies

7. Blazers

8. Raptors

9. Thunder

10. Bulls (I am biased, and there flying under the radar)

East Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Pacers

2. Cavs (make finals)

3. Raptors

4. Bulls

5. Celtics

6. Knicks

7. Hornets

8. Hawks

West Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Warriors (make finals, win it all in 2017)

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Blazers

5. Grizzlies

6. Thunder

7. Rockets

8. Timberwolves (I think they will be a surprise team this year)

15 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Here's my take.  I agree with your top 4.  I personally think the Celtics are overrated.   I think they'll finish between 4-7 in the East.  I also think the Raptors are slightly overrated.  I also see that a lot of people are high on the Pistons, I love Van Gundy but I don't see it. Here are my top 10 teams.

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Cavs

4. Pacers

5. Clippers

6. Grizzlies

7. Blazers

8. Raptors

9. Thunder

10. Bulls (I am biased, and there flying under the radar)

East Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Pacers

2. Cavs (make finals)

3. Raptors

4. Bulls

5. Celtics

6. Knicks

7. Hornets

8. Hawks

West Prediction (Final Standings,not necessarily the best team)

1. Warriors (make finals, win it all in 2017)

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Blazers

5. Grizzlies

6. Thunder

7. Rockets

8. Timberwolves (I think they will be a surprise team this year)

Yeah I agree with most of this, I do think however the Celtics will be a little better than where you have them. They are one of the few teams that gives 100% on a nightly basis. What I mean by that is I cant recall a game where I have ever seen that team play lazy Basketball. Picking up Horford was huge and I think Thomas is a borderline SuperStar, definitely plays like an All-Star. Brad Stevens is a Great Coach. I have the Bulls the 5th best team in the East if you are wondering only behind the Cavs, Pacers, Celtics, and Raptors. I have always been a Wade fan and I still think he has a couple of seasons left in the tank. I have Cavs over Pacers in the ECFinals, Warriors over Spurs in WCFinals, Warriors over Cavs in the Finals.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree with most of this, I do think however the Celtics will be a little better than where you have them. They are one of the few teams that gives 100% on a nightly basis. What I mean by that is I cant recall a game where I have ever seen that team play lazy Basketball. Picking up Horford was huge and I think Thomas is a borderline SuperStar, definitely plays like an All-Star. Brad Stevens is a Great Coach. I have the Bulls the 5th best team in the East if you are wondering only behind the Cavs, Pacers, Celtics, and Raptors. I have always been a Wade fan and I still think he has a couple of seasons left in the tank. I have Cavs over Pacers in the ECFinals, Warriors over Spurs in WCFinals, Warriors over Cavs in the Finals.

We're pretty dang close.  I think the Cavs will rest LeBron a lot this year. More than normal years, therefore that's why I think the Pacers will get the #1 seed.  They need that, home court advantage throughout would give them a chance.  I get what you're saying about the Celtics(they play hard every night, have a great coach and added Horford) but I am just not 100% sold.  I think 3-8 is wide open to be honest(in both the East and West). 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just ready for the NBA season to start.  My team should be interesting and the Pacers have a great opportunity.  Unlike the Colts we both have something to look forward to during NBA season (wins) haha

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

We're pretty dang close.  I think the Cavs will rest LeBron a lot this year. More than normal years, therefore that's why I think the Pacers will get the #1 seed.  They need that, home court advantage throughout would give them a chance.  I get what you're saying about the Celtics(they play hard every night, have a great coach and added Horford) but I am just not 100% sold.  I think 3-8 is wide open to be honest(in both the East and West). 

Yeah 3-8 is wide open in each Conference I agree. It wouldn't even be a stretch to say the Bulls could finish with the 3rd best record in the East if the Celtics and Raptors don't live up to their billing.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 3-8 is wide open in each Conference I agree. It wouldn't even be a stretch to say the Bulls could finish with the 3rd best record in the East if the Celtics and Raptors don't live up to their billing.

I get this weird feeling that the Raptors won't be nearly as good as last year. They were number 2 in the East mainly because the East was terrible. I think the East will be better this year.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

any interest in Yogi Ferrell.....Nets cut him......pick him up...send him to the CBA....

I still think he can play

I am personally tired of hearing my friends say this just because he played at IU. He has shown nothing to prove he deserves an NBA roster spot. He is too short and does not have the skills to overcome his size in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I am personally tired of hearing my friends say this just because he played at IU. He has shown nothing to prove he deserves an NBA roster spot. He is too short and does not have the skills to overcome his size in my opinion. 

you may be right..his size is a major issue.....but, you wouldnt want to NOT give an all-Big-10 player a chance with the in-state team just BECAUSE  he played college here.  He's a natural lead guard. They are somewhat rare.

I dont know what he showed the Nets min training camp but even assuming they agreed with you when they let him go.

In the CBA, he could show us (the Pacers) whether he can play pro ball or not at his size... Doesn't cost much.  Its like having an extra draft choice

Edited by oldunclemark
incomplete

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

you may be right..his size is a major issue.....but, you wouldnt want to NOT give an all-Big-10 player a chance with the in-state team just BECAUSE  he played college here.  He's a natural lead guard. They are somewhat rare.

I dont know what he showed the Nets min training camp but even assuming they agreed with you when they let him go.

In the CBA, he could show us (the Pacers) whether he can play pro ball or not at his size... Doesn't cost much.  Its like having an extra draft choice

Anybody we get would be considered an extra draft pick. Yogi went undrafted. We just picked up Ben Bentil who actually was selected one pick after George Niang. He has a better shot to be someone than Yogi does.

5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Anybody we get would be considered an extra draft pick. Yogi went undrafted. We just picked up Ben Bentil who actually was selected one pick after George Niang. He has a better shot to be someone than Yogi does.

Bentl can rebound, shoot well especially from corners and can run the floor.  That was a great pickup IMO.

Larry sees what he has seen with Robinson II.  Look at Providence clips from 2015/16 season.  The Big East tournament was a good showing for him.

17 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Yogi was a great leader for IU  He can dominate some of the CBA teams I have watched.  He deserves a chance 'somewhere.'

I have been one of his critics along the way.  He can run the break very well. 

22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would like to see if Joe Young has improved before looking at Yogi.

I think we saw that in Summer League he really hasn't. Not from a lead guard skills stand point anyway. I think if Larry had much faith in Young to be a true lead guard we would not have brought in both Teague and Aaron Brooks. I think Larry actually realized he needed to change his approach with finding a lead guard and so he traded Hill who is not a lead guard for Teague who is more of a lead guard...Yet still not as much of one as I would like though

Joe should get some minutes unless they send him to the D League to continue to work which I think is a good idea. He will have trouble getting many minutes though behind Brooks I think

Sign Archie Goodwin right now!  I know we can't since he has to clear waivers and chances of him slipping to us are almost 0, but I'm surprised the Suns cut him.  He's looked good when he's played.

I also don't think the Warriors have a shot at the Finals this year.  To win in the NBA, and all pro sports, you need depth.  The Warriors are too top-heavy.  And they lack muscle.  Who is their post man?  Can Draymond Green really play against guys with the strength and size of Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan?  It'll be far too easy to just put the ball in the post and let your bigs go to work.  Who on the Warriors roster can stop Giannis Antetokounmpo?

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sign Archie Goodwin right now!  I know we can't since he has to clear waivers and chances of him slipping to us are almost 0, but I'm surprised the Suns cut him.  He's looked good when he's played.

I also don't think the Warriors have a shot at the Finals this year.  To win in the NBA, and all pro sports, you need depth.  The Warriors are too top-heavy.  And they lack muscle.  Who is their post man?  Can Draymond Green really play against guys with the strength and size of Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan?  It'll be far too easy to just put the ball in the post and let your bigs go to work.  Who on the Warriors roster can stop Giannis Antetokounmpo?

David West. 

:D

Im recording the game while watching Cubs World Series. Going to watch the Pacers after the Cubs and then comment later on it.

Pacers have to do a better job of guarding the 3 point line in the 2nd half but otherwise they have been playing well. 15 assists already. They need to keep attacking the basket and around the rim