Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Haeg

Valpo2004

Didn't get to see the first half of the game, was listening on the radio.  

How did Haeg do at RG?  I know they slid him over to RT later on to fill in for Reitz.  I don't remember him doing too badly but I didn't pay that close attention.

Anyone able to tell me better how how he actually did?  Could he be pushing for a starting job?

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I liked what I saw at guard.  He was in a very hard spot when he got moved to RT so I don't think it's fair to judge him at that spot based on this game.

I think the Colts' vision for 2017 and beyond is to have Haeg at RG and Clark at RT.  

It appears that Haeg is the real deal.  He seems much better suited for Guard.  When we ran the ball in the first half, a lot of it was to his side of the line.  It looks like we are finally getting the line settled...we just need to focus on Right Tackle.  Reitz plays better when he is surrounded by talent.  I'm not sold on Clark yet...time will tell.

15 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think the Colts' vision for 2017 and beyond is to have Haeg at RG and Clark at RT.  

I really have no issue with that vision.  I was just saying I wouldn't really be overly critically with how Haeg played right tackle yesterday because it was a hard spot for him to be in given the situation.  

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Agreed. But they're pretty high on Good too. I think Haeg will be our guy at RG, and hopefully between Clark and Good we'll have a solid, at least above average RT.

Here in a couple weeks I hope our line looks like this. And it honestly should next week.

Castanzo - Mewhort - Kelly - Haeg - Good

With Reitz, Clark, Blythe, and Harrison as the backups.

Haeg needs to be out there at RG every game. He looked good yesterday, and with more starts he'll only get better, more comfortable, and more experienced. Our line may finally be set!!!!!! And I just love that LOL.

2 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I was impressed with his play at RG. Struggled a bit at RT but still did pretty well for a rookie. Happy to have him, he's going to be a key part of our line in the future. He filled in for our starters at 2 different positions yesterday without much, if any drop off IMO.

He played better than reitz 

I thought Haeg did well for his first start, there was no real drop off. He has quite an accomplished lineman skillset for a rookie, there's good potential there. I know the line gets alot of cristism and some of it is fair, but I do like the direction we are going in trying to rectify this problem. AC and Mewhort are solid, and we now have 3 good young linemen coming through the ranks in Kelly, Good and Haeg. Hopefully Clark and Blythe down the line too.

I would be surprised if they move Good back to tackle. He has won the guard spot and was only replaced when injured.  When he is healthy I expect him back at guard.  They are very high on him and he too will improve with more games under his belt.  RT is another story.  I thought Haag played well out there.  Quicker on his feet than I expected.   Looks like he has a similar frame to Costanzo.  I don't expect Reitz to play this week but I am expecting Good back.  If Reitz doesn't play Sunday I am expecting Haag to get the start.  Reitz is a great back up lineman but I don't think he is long term starter.  Maybe when he is healthy he can hold it down but Haag has an opportunity coming up this week to make a case for the RT spot. 

15 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Coaches Film is not yet available but Haeg did not grade well according to PFF.

41.1 Pass Blocking

65.6 run blocking

Overall: 49.0 Overall grade. Might change when all 22 is available

Did notice Haeg struggling at right tackle. Played better at guard.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Didn't get to see the first half of the game, was listening on the radio.  

How did Haeg do at RG?  I know they slid him over to RT later on to fill in for Reitz.  I don't remember him doing too badly but I didn't pay that close attention.

Anyone able to tell me better how how he actually did?  Could he be pushing for a starting job?

He won the full time starting job in my opinion...it wasn't even close/

Reitz is hurt and until he is 100%. Or at least 90%. He shouldn't be in the game. 

No reason Goode should lose his job.   Doesn't make sense.  If Haeg were good enough he would have already won the job

some of you just like to jump on a current Bandwagon opinion and Ride Sally Ride 

39 minutes ago, dudeski said:

haha wow.  This guy

Knows more about O-Line play than you.  Based on what? Aside from first hand knowledge which is a nice addition, really just based on the fact that you appear to be wrong each time you play predictable contrarian.  I laughed when the CBS announcers said Mewhort was our best lineman.  Aside from his (the announcer's) credentials, I am also pretty sure he doesn't post here, once again proving your earlier point wrong.  But I will give you credit, you may be wrong, but you're consistent and persistent while doing it. Just like the lesser known little engine that couldn't.  :thmup:

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I say play haeg at RG and move good back to RT. 

At this stage of the game, it's too late to move Good back to RT. Haeg is probably physically better suited to play tackle, eventually. Clark will probably take a lot more time to develop. But I've been saying for years that Reitz is a journeyman lineman at best, and not well suited to play tackle without substantial TE support - injured or not. So I'd put Reitz at RG until Good heals, and Haeg at RT, with Blythe backing up RG. The coaching brain trust saw it differently during preseason, so we'll see how this plays out.

None of this bodes well for Andrew Luck, however.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Knows more about O-Line play than you.  Based on what? Aside from first hand knowledge which is a nice addition, really just based on the fact that you appear to be wrong each time you play predictable contrarian.  I laughed when the CBS announcers said Mewhort was our best lineman.  Aside from his (the announcer's) credentials, I am also pretty sure he doesn't post here, once again proving your earlier point wrong.  But I will give you credit, you may be wrong, but you're consistent and persistent while doing it. Just like the lesser known little engine that couldn't.  :thmup:

Last year Rich Gannon said Toler was our best corner.

so there is that

Looking back on the game now using the All 22 I can see why Haeg was graded poorly. He gave up what I counted 4 pressures because of oversetting and not getting his hands up high enough. He was also late coming off a combo block or two. He struggled at times at both Guard and Tackle but he certainly had some good moments. A pancake block at the goal line on the Turbin TD run in the 3rd quarter

Overall a lot of room for improvement but we have had veterans who have been worse over the last 4 years and 3 games