Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This team can beat any other team in the league on a given day

DalTXColtsFan

13 minutes ago, Dustin said:

And if I'm Pitt or New England I'm begging to play the Colts.

Yeah, if I'm those 2 teams I'd MUCH rather play the Colts than play Denver.  No question about it.

I think I'd definitely rather play the Ravens than the Colts though.

What about the Bengals and the Raiders?  If you're Pitt or NE would you rather play the Colts than either of those two teams?

Are there any other AFC teams that are even going to SNIFF the AFCCG?

On 9/26/2016 at 10:31 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

I actually like the matchup against Minn.  They have a below-average passing game which means they won't be able to expose our team's greatest weakness (no pass rush).  If our offense can score 20 against Denver they can score 20+ against Minnesota.  If SD couldn't score more than 12 points against us Minnesota won't score 20.

Like the Colts, the Panthers also scored 20 points against Denver, IIRC. The Panthers had not lost a game at home since 2014 and over that time period, they were averaging over 40 points/game at home. 

The Panthers scored only 10 points at home against MN in the last game. 

On 9/26/2016 at 7:14 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

I'm not saying that with blinders or blue koolaid influence - it's true.  When Luck gets hot he's unstoppable.  The defense has its weaknesses (particularly pass rush and LBs covering TEs) but they held Denver to 20 points (the offense gave up the other 14) and held SD to 12 points (the offense gave up the other 10).

Eventually, there's going to be a game where all of our key players are healthy and game-tough, and all phases of the game show up on the same day and start playing well from the first second of the first quarter.  When that happens, I don't want to be the other team.

Obviously, there are teams that can beat *us* on any given day.  New England is always a matchup nightmare for us with Gronk vs. our LBs, Edelman and Amendola on those *@(#@( crossing routes and a well-coached defense (but we wouldn't face them until the playoffs).  Pittsburgh is always a nightmare with how they can beat our defense with Brown, Bell and Miller.  And I'm not going to overlook Oakland - they have a LOT of talent.

There's enough TALENT on this team to beat Jax, Tenn, Hou, Buff, Chi, Minn, and KC for sure - in every single one of those games, if Pagano gets the boys ready to play they'll win.  It's on him.  Oak, GB, Pitt - those are going to be hard games to win (like Denver was a hard game to win, but one the Colts had their chances to win).

I can see this team making a deep run into the playoffs.  It's a matter of keeping guys healthy and well-coached.

I don't know how to break this to you,  but Minnesota and KC are very good.

And Buffalo,  as they proved last year,  is just not a very good match-up for us.

Pittsburgh is a possible Super Bowl contending team.     Oakland is young and has a lot of talent.

We're a very old, slow team, and we're constantly getting hurt.     Trent Cole just went down for the year today.

We can win the AFC South,  but it won't be easy.     This will be the hardest, most difficult year for the Luck/Pagano/Grigson team.   

Minnesota is a tough one I must admit.   If we have our full squad on offense and defense healthy, and Andrew cuts out some of the stupid turnovers I'd say we have a real good shot against anybody including them.  Minnesotas offense isn't real hot, most of the games have been relatively close despite outstanding defensive play.  

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

They haven't played our MVP quarterback yet...

You see what Denver did to THE MVP quarterback and OUR "MVP quarterback?"  It looked just about the same.  And going from that measuring stick Minnesota made THE MVP QB look (and feel with 8 sacks) much, much worse than Denver did.  That will be a tough game if MIN D is healthy, I don't care who the QB or RB for MIN is.

32 minutes ago, tikyle said:

You see what Denver did to THE MVP quarterback and OUR "MVP quarterback?"  It looked just about the same.  And going from that measuring stick Minnesota made THE MVP QB look (and feel with 8 sacks) much, much worse than Denver did.  That will be a tough game if MIN D is healthy, I don't care who the QB or RB for MIN is.

week 15 is so far away, so many things can happen. I'm not going to concede that it will be a tough game either way until we get there.

4 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

its possible to win and still play like crap....  some just want the W others want perfection.  I see more potential with this team than just a last second win over a not very good SD team that played bad.

Be satisfied if you want but dont knock those of us that expect more

Fair enough and I want more too. Sunday was very nerve racking and we definitely need to improve in area's. I am real happy we won was my main point and some people don't seem to be. It's tough to win in the NFL so any win we get I will take especially with the injuries we have, We have had so many injuries on Defense and on top of it Moncrief is out as well.

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

The only reason the Colts make a top 6ish list like that is because the AFC is awful.  

And if I'm Pitt or New England I'm begging to play the Colts.

I can hear coach Pagano now: " That's the New England Patriots out there and we should make it a game, even though we are going to lose"....

I'm looking at this potential of this team. We saw it during the comeback against Detroit that fell short. When all three phases are executing consistently, the Colts have a ton of talent and can get hot.

They are not there yet but I agree with the original post, in terms of their potential.

This team can beat any other team in the league on a given day

As much as I love my Colts & yes I'm a homer we just did beat the Chargers .

But not the Lions or the Broncos so its not a given although I can appreciate the optimism the Colts are not there yet lets put the Kool-Aid on hold for a week or two . :thmup:

On 9/26/2016 at 10:14 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

I'm not saying that with blinders or blue koolaid influence - it's true.  When Luck gets hot he's unstoppable.  The defense has its weaknesses (particularly pass rush and LBs covering TEs) but they held Denver to 20 points (the offense gave up the other 14) and held SD to 12 points (the offense gave up the other 10).

Eventually, there's going to be a game where all of our key players are healthy and game-tough, and all phases of the game show up on the same day and start playing well from the first second of the first quarter.  When that happens, I don't want to be the other team.

Obviously, there are teams that can beat *us* on any given day.  New England is always a matchup nightmare for us with Gronk vs. our LBs, Edelman and Amendola on those *@(#@( crossing routes and a well-coached defense (but we wouldn't face them until the playoffs).  Pittsburgh is always a nightmare with how they can beat our defense with Brown, Bell and Miller.  And I'm not going to overlook Oakland - they have a LOT of talent.

There's enough TALENT on this team to beat Jax, Tenn, Hou, Buff, Chi, Minn, and KC for sure - in every single one of those games, if Pagano gets the boys ready to play they'll win.  It's on him.  Oak, GB, Pitt - those are going to be hard games to win (like Denver was a hard game to win, but one the Colts had their chances to win).

I can see this team making a deep run into the playoffs.  It's a matter of keeping guys healthy and well-coached.

bla bla bla your dew rag slipped down then

In theory, yes, the Colts at their best could probably beat any team in the league. The offense would have to avoid mistakes, the defense would have to tackle well, and they'd probably still need some help from the other team in the form of missed opportunities (Rivers missed 3-4 TD throws on Sunday). They could get hot, stay healthy, and knock some teams off. It would be awesome if they were humming in December and January and made it to the Super Bowl, but don't hold your breath. 

In practice, this year's Colts are a second tier team, at best. The OL is a work in progress (positive things are on the way, I believe, but the protection is still leaky and the run blocking is even further off), the QB and receivers aren't consistently on the same page. The defense can't cover the middle and can't consistently rush the passer. The coaching staff hasn't proven that they have the ability scheme and strategically minimize these weaknesses AND maximize the obvious strengths. In fact, in the biggest test of this ability -- late in the Denver game -- the coaching staff blew it.

If the Colts were able to play to their full potential every single week, and stay healthy, and if the coaching staff pushed the right buttons every game and in every situation, you might have a 13-3 team with a first round bye. But even then, you're probably looking at the 2010/2012 Falcons; that team even won a playoff game, but wasn't a great team, and quickly regressed (4-12 in 2013, a year after going to the NFCCG). This team appears more likely to play below expectations than to exceed expectations, sadly. Just not enough playmakers, especially on defense.

The hope is that the last two draft classes keep going in the right direction, and you get another two draft classes that pan out. Doesn't mean the Colts aren't trying to contend in the meantime, but it's going to be a couple years before the Colts will be considered one of the top teams in the league. And that's assuming things go well and the staff does the right things over the next two offseasons, which isn't a given.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

In theory, yes, the Colts at their best could probably beat any team in the league. The offense would have to avoid mistakes, the defense would have to tackle well, and they'd probably still need some help from the other team in the form of missed opportunities (Rivers missed 3-4 TD throws on Sunday). They could get hot, stay healthy, and knock some teams off. It would be awesome if they were humming in December and January and made it to the Super Bowl, but don't hold your breath. 

In practice, this year's Colts are a second tier team, at best. The OL is a work in progress (positive things are on the way, I believe, but the protection is still leaky and the run blocking is even further off), the QB and receivers aren't consistently on the same page. The defense can't cover the middle and can't consistently rush the passer. The coaching staff hasn't proven that they have the ability scheme and strategically minimize these weaknesses AND maximize the obvious strengths. In fact, in the biggest test of this ability -- late in the Denver game -- the coaching staff blew it.

If the Colts were able to play to their full potential every single week, and stay healthy, and if the coaching staff pushed the right buttons every game and in every situation, you might have a 13-3 team with a first round bye. But even then, you're probably looking at the 2010/2012 Falcons; that team even won a playoff game, but wasn't a great team, and quickly regressed (4-12 in 2013, a year after going to the NFCCG). This team appears more likely to play below expectations than to exceed expectations, sadly. Just not enough playmakers, especially on defense.

The hope is that the last two draft classes keep going in the right direction, and you get another two draft classes that pan out. Doesn't mean the Colts aren't trying to contend in the meantime, but it's going to be a couple years before the Colts will be considered one of the top teams in the league. And that's assuming things go well and the staff does the right things over the next two offseasons, which isn't a given.

So your saying there's a chance :)

20 hours ago, Gavin said:

He is a dink and dunk QB because he is very inaccurate with the deep ball.....Turns out Bradford has been to

2014- 13 for 40 passes 21+ yards

2015- 11 for 43 passes 21+ yards

Combined 24 for 83 passes 21+ yards......28.9%

Bradford:

10-39

15-40

17-59

6-21

11-46

2-4

61-209

29.1% I lied. According to ESPN stats Bradfords hardly been any better if they are accurate

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13197/year/2013

Fair enough. But I really don't see the upside with Bridgwater. Great game manager which helps but can he really take his game to the next level? Even his coaches said they wanted to see him open it up a bit more. You have to be able to throw deep in a Norv Turner offense.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Fair enough. But I really don't see the upside with Bridgwater. Great game manager which helps but can he really take his game to the next level? Even his coaches said they wanted to see him open it up a bit more. You have to be able to throw deep in a Norv Turner offense.

I think Bridgewater has more of a problem with Deep Ball accuracy than arm strength.  He often over throws the deep ball.  To me he has plenty of arm strength to play the long ball offense, but the accuracy needs some work.

On 9/26/2016 at 11:08 AM, CR91 said:

its amazing the change of attitude about the team week after week

haha  I think this is true of most fanbases.  Welcome to my life of a family who are mostly Bengals and Browns fans...   talk about fickle,  you can't imagine.   haha