Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting Secondary

coltsfeva

Assuming (I know it's a big assumption) the secondary gets healthy, who do you play in the base defense? Do they stick with Cromartie and bring in Robinson for the nickle or play Robinson opposite Vonte?

Would you use T.J. Green for the dime? What about Butler?

If their top CBs and Safeties can get on the field and play together for a few games, this secondary could be one of the strengths of the defense and help the pass rush get there.

My 2 cents:

CB -  Davis

CB - Robinson

FS - Adams

SS - Geathers

Nickle - Add Cromartie

Dime - Add Cromartie and T.J. Green

thoughts?

I prefer not to see Robinson on the outside. Vontae and Cro need to stay out there. Robinson in nickel, yes. He performs much better there.

Looking forward to seeing TJ, Geathers and Adams on the field together. Need that option against teams with good TEs.

I say Davis, Robinson, Geathers, and Adams as the starters, with Robinson manning the slot in Nickel and Dime Defenses and Cro taking his place on the outside for both of those. Cro still has some juice, but he can't be relied upon as a nearly every down role. Also, we need to get Robinson more in tune to our offense as he is more of a long term answer whereas Cro was brought in as a short term fix.

Really surprised how well Cromartie has played considering how he was on the street for so long.  They brought in Robinson to be the number 2.  It will interesting to see how they work this.  When the secondary is completely healthy they should be very good.  We should be able to match up with anybody and have them looking and expecting the big hit to arrive.  Gaethers and Green, ouch!

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Cromartie should stay were hes at. Robinson to the nickel most certainly.

This.

A lot of people on here killed Grigson for the Cromartie signing, but dude has played well. Hes been terrific defending the deep ball. 

Not bad for a guy thats washed up, huh?

Mike Adams...Cromartie... Maybe people will wait to crush signings like that now before we see them play for us.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I really think that's worth looking at.  Our safeties smack you and it should help with coverage on TE's and RB's. 

Cardinals use a 3rd safety as a hybrid LB and it helps their defense fly, IMO. I am sure a lot of other Ds do that as well. 

However, playing a team like the Bengals, whose OL has size, you have to play the odds if they are running too much with their power packages.