Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Stop Saying Hilton Isn't top 10

Defjamz26

How many games does he have to win? How many crazy momentum shifting catches does he have to make? How many 1,000 yard seasons? How many times does he have to smoke opposing DBs before he gets the respect he deserves?

Hilton actually has the potential to be better than Marvin, and statistically he's ahead of where Marvin was at this stage of his career. Hilton is elite. 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

How many games does he have to win? How many crazy momentum shifting catches does he have to make? How many 1,000 yard seasons? How many times does he have to smoke opposing DBs before he gets the respect he deserves?

Hilton actually has the potential to be better than Marvin, and statistically he's ahead of where Marvin was at this stage of his career. Hilton is elite. 

I don't care if anyone says he's not top-10.

But it's pretty obvious that if he is,  then he's JUST OUTSIDE the top-10.

Does it really matter if he's ranked 11-16?     What's wrong with that.

32 teams,  they all have 2 starting WR's....    that's 64 players.    Hilton might be 14th.    So, 50 other starting WR's would be less than Hilton.     Is there something wrong with that?

I just don't know what some people here need to be satisfied......?

58 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Please explain how you rank these WR's please? Is there a formula? He's not tall enough to be top 10, is that it? Is there a 'Catching Rating' I can use? In my eyes,  he is top 5, but l'm a homer.......

I have never understood why someone would use height as a measuring guide to call a receiver a #1. Marvin Harrison blew that thought right out of the water. With that in mind I guess they wouldn't consider Antonio Brown a #1 either.

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Please explain how you rank these WR's please? Is there a formula? He's not tall enough to be top 10, is that it? Is there a 'Catching Rating' I can use? In my eyes,  he is top 5, but l'm a homer.......

Thats exactly what it is, and it's frustrating. A #1 wide receiver doesn't have to be 6'4 and 220 lbs

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He still has a deficiency in the Red Zone. A million catches one td.

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I have him top 5 too. He's just always making plays. He's been more consistent than DT and Green recently. Plus we've seen him do it without his star QB. He was working Verett from the highlights I saw as well.

I think we all agree TY is great, and we love him on our team. His big play yesterday helped seal the deal for us. But I dont think many people are making the argument his size keeps him from being a #1 WR. I think his production and consistency and skill set keeps him from being a "#1"....As for top 10, hard to say, depends on what you want. I personally dont have him in the top 10..

No order: Brown, OBJ, Julio, Dez, Green, Hopkins, Jordy, Fitz, Robinson, DT, Marshall, Cooks, Evans, Cooper are all guys I'd comfortably select over TY....Some guys that can be argued as well are Kelvin, Landry, Diggs, Edelman, Decker, Cobb, Mathews, Watkins, Sanders, Maclin.

5 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I think we all agree TY is great, and we love him on our team. His big play yesterday helped seal the deal for us. But I dont think many people are making the argument his size keeps him from being a #1 WR. I think his production and consistency and skill set keeps him from being a "#1"....As for top 10, hard to say, depends on what you want. I personally dont have him in the top 10..

No order: Brown, OBJ, Julio, Dez, Green, Hopkins, Jordy, Fitz, Robinson, DT, Marshall, Cooks, Evans, Cooper are all guys I'd comfortably select over TY....Some guys that can be argued as well are Kelvin, Landry, Diggs, Edelman, Decker, Cobb, Mathews, Watkins, Sanders, Maclin.

He's no Hines Ward that's for sure.

1 hour ago, IndyTrav said:

Skill set?    I can understand your comment about consistency but his skill set is as good as anyone's in the league. He makes those acrobatic catches and sideline snags as good as anyone.

Johnny U to Ray Berry on sideline routes was almost automatic in every game because each guy was such a perfectionist in his craft. Maybe someday that will describe Luck to TY, but currently there are games when blazing speed isn't enough and TY disappears.

I think TY should be considered an elite WR and he has the stats to prove it.

No, he's not an all-around WR like other elite WRs.  Good blocker?  No.  Size?  No.  But Marvelous Marvin didn't either but look where he is at.  TY is almost a carbon copy of Marvin.  Once TY gets on Marvin's level when it comes to route-running and IQ, watch out.  

TY is a beast.  Nuff said.

1 hour ago, IndyTrav said:

I'm taking TY over a good number of those guys.  Maclin, Watkins, Sanders, Decker, Edelman, and more.  Also, some of those guys you name have the benefit of playing next to other great talent that takes the weight from their shoulders.  TY has who?  Dorsett, Moncrief, & Allen with a crap line to play with and still puts up great stats.  

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Skill set?    I can understand your comment about consistency but his skill set is as good as anyone's in the league. He makes those acrobatic catches and sideline snags as good as anyone.

He has good hands for sure, but he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he doesn't attack the ball, his blocking is average, etc etc. Very few WR are perfect in all those categories, so its not a knock on him, it just is what it is.  

10 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I'm taking TY over a good number of those guys.  Maclin, Watkins, Sanders, Decker, Edelman, and more.  Also, some of those guys you name have the benefit of playing next to other great talent that takes the weight from their shoulders.  TY has who?  Dorsett, Moncrief, & Allen with a crap line to play with and still puts up great stats.  

And thats fair. But it is funny that a lot of fans think we have this amazing QB, and WR Corp, but when arguing individually TY doesn't have anyone taking any heat off of him, or Luck throwing him the ball, or him being a target monster....3 weeks ago Crief was the 2nd coming of Dez, and Dorsett was a future stud, but now TY has no one to help him? Which is it?.....And no TY does not have great stats, which aren't the end all be all by any means, but he's never had more than 82rec, never had more than 1350yds, and never had more than 7tds....to put that in perspective, last year 17 guys had more than 83rec, 6 guys had more than 1350yds, and 25 guys had more than 7 TDs.... 

47 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Johnny U to Ray Berry on sideline routes was almost automatic in every game because each guy was such a perfectionist in his craft. Maybe someday that will describe Luck to TY, but currently there are games when blazing speed isn't enough and TY disappears.

Does he disappear, or is it more that Luck is running around like Benny Hill?

30 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

He has good hands for sure, but he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he doesn't attack the ball, his blocking is average, etc etc. Very few WR are perfect in all those categories, so its not a knock on him, it just is what it is.  

And thats fair. But it is funny that a lot of fans think we have this amazing QB, and WR Corp, but when arguing individually TY doesn't have anyone taking any heat off of him, or Luck throwing him the ball, or him being a target monster....3 weeks ago Crief was the 2nd coming of Dez, and Dorsett was a future stud, but now TY has no one to help him? Which is it?.....And no TY does not have great stats, which aren't the end all be all by any means, but he's never had more than 82rec, never had more than 1350yds, and never had more than 7tds....to put that in perspective, last year 17 guys had more than 83rec, 6 guys had more than 1350yds, and 25 guys had more than 7 TDs.... 

He don't break a lot of tackles? Jeez, the dude is like 5-10 and 180 lbs. It's what he brings to the team that makes him a #1. Him being on the field is the reason our other receivers and TEs catch as many balls as they do. .He don't attack the ball? Yes, I have seen him do that too. Stats do not tell the be all of what a receiver is.

He would have those stats if Luck had the time to go through his progressions no matter what your opinion is.

50 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I'm not one of those guys who thinks Moncrief and Dorsett are any of those things you said.  I think Dorsett could definitely be a problem IN THE FUTURE but Moncreif can be solid.  

And we can't just look at stats because like you said, it's more than just stats.  But let's look at his stats.  I'm not even going to debate some of the people you've mentioned like Sanders and Maclin because with TY being drafted in 2012 and others in years before him, his stats are already on par with a good number of those mentioned WRs.  But let's compare him to the BEST WR, Antonio Brown.  With 6 years in the league, Brown has put up 550 recs 7400 yds vs TY's 4 years 301 recs 4700 yds.  Pretty good I would say myself.  Yes, he has yet to break 90+ recs, but that's not his game.  I'm pretty sure he will develop into WR who can do that.  Even compared to Dez who many consider a top 5 WR, his stats look good also.

But let's put this in perspective.  TY has done this with his 2 of his best WR teammates being a on the tail end of his career Reggie Wayne & over the hill Andre Johnson and a non-existent running game. 

GIVE THE DUDE PROPS!  And he's doing this at 5'9 180lbs.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

You're thinking of AJ Greenbwho comes alive for half the season, or DT who has been outshined by Sanders. Those are guys who disappear. Hilton averages maybe 3 bad games a season. Plus he cooks most of the good CBs they put on him.

As a matter of fact the games he should disappear are the ones he shows up the most. Completely dominated the second half of the Browns game two years ago. Dismantled the LOB in 2013. Cooked Verett yesterday. Was roasting Ronald Darby and the Bills secondary for 84 yards in the first half before he got injured. The list goes on.

3 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

Me personally, I'd Have him over DT, Jordy(I LOVED him but not sure after the knee), Cooks, Evans and Cooper. On the fence on Marshall, i think he is better but age...

The rest, yea I agree

I'd take:

Fitzgerald

Nelson

Brown

Evans

Green

Jeffery

Beckham Jr

Cruz

Marvin Jones

Julio Jones

Desean Jackson

Maybe Brandin Cooks because I love his shiftiness and he clearly can produce big

Some  of this is because I like more size in my wr's and some of it because the guys that are around his size on the list are just more consistent at being able to get more often or are more shifty in the open field. Regardless they also produce big

hard to say without taking the time to rank them all until you get to ty

i would take the following before him

brown

jones

beckham

gronk-  you didnt specifically say wide receiver

marshall

green

hopkins

maybe demaryius thomas

then i would put ty at ninth place

30 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I'd take:

Fitzgerald

Nelson

Brown

Evans

Green

Jeffery

Beckham Jr

Cruz

Marvin Jones

Julio Jones

Desean Jackson

Maybe Brandin Cooks because I love his shiftiness and he clearly can produce big

Some  of this is because I like more size in my wr's and some of it because the guys that are around his size on the list are just more consistent at being able to get more often or are more shifty in the open field. Regardless they also produce big

Marvin "One good game in my career" Jones? 

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Marvin "One good game in my career" Jones? 

I like his size and catching radius compared to Hilton and he does have two 700+  yard seasons not playing a full season in either. I do however get your point and would have to agree

I like my WR's to be on the taller side and win jump balls/run with it after the catch. So TY is always going to be lower on my list. If you're talking rankings long term and not just this season, hes probably in my top 10, but just outside of it for the season.

10 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

These Homers don`t even look at your list before they Homer Up!
  TY has gotten half or more if his yards in 4 games a year. Against good D`s? Not often.
 He is poor as a run blocker.
  Marvin was running Great Routes from day one.
  TY is Starting to show some of that consistency Now. Good job Chud & TY!!

Ty has been over targeted to pile up his career stats. Way to much of Andrew holding the ball, scrambling around and Hailing it 20+ yards downfield into coverage. Often against soft D`s and coming from behind.
  Chud had a lot of nice calls for him yesterday and credit Lucky for throwing it accurately (at the belt).
 4+ years waiting for a Real passing game. Fix the right side of the O-Line and get a couple good RB`s
 and... lol   Go Colts!

9 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I think TY should be considered an elite WR and he has the stats to prove it.

No, he's not an all-around WR like other elite WRs.  Good blocker?  No.  Size?  No.  But Marvelous Marvin didn't either but look where he is at.  TY is almost a carbon copy of Marvin.  Once TY gets on Marvin's level when it comes to route-running and IQ, watch out.  

TY is a beast.  Nuff said.

Marvin was 6' 185lbs and had 8 double digit TD seasons including 2 15 TD yrs. I think TY is the man and have always said he's right there in terms of top 10 but let's not sell 88 short 

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

I'd take:

Fitzgerald

Nelson

Brown

Evans

Green

Jeffery

Beckham Jr

Cruz

Marvin Jones

Julio Jones

Desean Jackson

Fitzgerald is old - so NO - I would choose TY over him in todays league (all-time Fitz is better), TY is better than Nelson, Evans, Jeffery, Cruz, Marv Jones, Jackson, and Cooks. WR's that are better are Brown, Julio Jones, Beckham, Dez, Marshall, Green, DThomas, and Hopkins - after that it's arguable that TY doesn't belong in the Top 10. TY is better than guys like Edleman as well. Put TY on the Pats and he would be a Top 5 WR in the league like Welker was for a few seasons because of their system which we are starting to run more with the shorter passes.