Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ugly win, but we needed it!

SilentHill

It was a win, and at the end of the day, that is what counts.

I thought this team made some good progress today defensively with the return of some key players, and I believe they will only get better as they spend more time as a unit.

The offensive line is still shaking itself out, and while that isn't ideal in week 3, I still have hope they can pull together and solidify in a week or two.

Let's keep this train rolling and beat the reeling Jaguars in London next week! Going to be weird eating breakfast during the Colts game next weekend!

I'll take it.

In the Chuck era, this is how I now look at things:  if they can just get the next one, we should at least have something to follow and be interested in for the next 4-6 weeks.  As long as they stay around .500, I doubt anyone runs away with the AFC South. 

Oh, and a special thank you to the guy who implanted Joe Wrongz in my brain.  Now, every time the announcer says Joe Reitz, I hear Joe Wrongz. 

Can't overlook the Jags up next, they are desperate and often show up for us. I think the Jags is going to be an interesting battle at times since.......well I have no idea what to expect from those guys at all.

We should win, but at the same time I can't say it's a gimmie win either since it's divisional.

Today though was a NEEDED win, it looked pretty bad there for a while but it happened. Damn near lose it when we play San Diego......those guys always bring it to the wire.

A good day.  Beat a really good QB.  Got some guys coming back some snaps.  Running game looked good at times.  Hilton, Dorsett, and Rogers are all exciting.  Allen and Doyle were ball in.  OL looked better than last week.  At least until Reitz left.  Saw some better DB play(I'm liking Geathers).  Got pressure at times.

overall, better than last 2 games.  Get rid of penalties and turnovers and we're more than competitive.

even coaching seemed better.  We saw some guys give all they had today.

i'm satisfied.  Now let's improve and get healthy for next week.

I dont think beating Jacksonville will be too tough. They have no pass rush and I think we will be able to run too. I expect we will put up points. Should have Robinson and Butler back to add to the other guys we got back. Dont think we will have big problems stopping there offense.

Hopefully we wont let them hang around with turnovers.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think beating Jacksonville will be too tough. They have no pass rush and I think we will be able to run too. I expect we will put up points. Should have Robinson and Butler back to add to the other guys we got back. Dont think we will have big problems stopping there offense.

Especially w/the D trending up! :)

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I am not taking it for granted but if we don't have dumb Turnovers we should win.

I saw a lot of good things from the Colts on the field today. Subtract that fumble right before the half and this could have been a two score game. I was also confident at one point that Frankie would notch his first 100 yard game as a Colt. I'm excited to see what the secondary is like once everyone is healthy, wasn't huge on Cromartie but I'm starting to come around on ole 31. I was also very impressed with Erik Walden and Joe Haeg today. Jack Doyle continues to impress and he had a great block in the hole on Frank's 20 yard run in the first half.

I could picture all of the Colts haters and Luck/Pagano/Grigson haters on the edge of their chairs eating their chips and dips salivating waiting to pounce on this team for going 0-3, then Andrew delivered a hammer with a 63 Yard TD pass! God how priceless at picturing that. Hey Colts fans got hammered for losing to the Lions and so did I so now it's fair game if we want to talk a little smack and celebrate a huge win.

3 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

I saw a lot of good things from the Colts on the field today. Subtract that fumble right before the half and this could have been a two score game. I was also confident at one point that Frankie would notch his first 100 yard game as a Colt. I'm excited to see what the secondary is like once everyone is healthy, wasn't huge on Cromartie but I'm starting to come around on ole 31. I was also very impressed with Erik Walden and Joe Haeg today. Jack Doyle continues to impress and he had a great block in the hole on Frank's 20 yard run in the first half.

Lot to feel good about definitely, but allot to clean up also. Even thought the coaching staff had a good game overall. 

21 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Especially w/the D trending up! :)

Melvin Gordon averaged 2.2 YPC against us today. He and Mcluster combined for 52 yards total rushing. And we are still missing Arthur Jones. We are a much better team with guys healthy

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not taking it for granted but if we don't have dumb Turnovers we should win.

The turnovers are the biggest issue. The defense isnt giving up many points outside of the Detroit game and we know why that happened. Got to get the turnovers cleaned up along with Finishing Drives with touchdowns. I dont think we have much of a problem moving the football, but we do have a problem finishing.

Again it was said at halftime the Colts came out in the second half to play better. What in the $%^& are they doing playing like the hare and tortoise fairy tale? If they played four quarters they would be 3-0. This is a repeat of games one and two. It is a shame they can't kick it in the butt when the first quarter starts and until they do it will be a rough going.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Can't overlook the Jags up next, they are desperate and often show up for us. I think the Jags is going to be an interesting battle at times since.......well I have no idea what to expect from those guys at all.

We should win, but at the same time I can't say it's a gimmie win either since it's divisional.

Today though was a NEEDED win, it looked pretty bad there for a while but it happened. Damn near lose it when we play San Diego......those guys always bring it to the wire.

Yeah it's going to be a very tough game.  Hopefully they can get some more players back also.  For some others returning as well from injuries today, maybe a day of rest then trying to get them back into the swing of things.  It was good having Anderson and Davis back.  With as bad as everyone has been playing AFC S, if the colts can continue to get healthy they should be able to compete for the division title.  The schedule is pretty brutal though. 

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Again it was said at halftime the Colts came out in the second half to play better. What in the $%^& are they doing playing like the hare and tortoise fairy tale? If they played four quarters they would be 3-0. This is a repeat of games one and two. It is a shame they can't kick it in the butt when the first quarter starts and until they do it will be a rough going.

They were pretty good in the first quarter. Took a 10-0 lead. It was the second where they should have clamped down and take SD out of the game, but they failed to do that, mostly due to turnovers. Obviously not a good thing, but it's not catastrophic problem. They'll work on it, adjust and move on. 

And I don't know about you guys. but I would rather the Colts start slow and finish fast than the other way around. 

Oh btw one comment on SD, I know we all hate Rivers here but damn.......that team around him is never staying healthy in recent years or now. In a way it's kinda bizarre. As much as we complain about injuries I think San Diego has been MAULED lately. They seem to lose someone every single week.

What actually stunned me most today was getting off to a 10-0 nothing lead. I mean WOW. Thats what you need to do though since those points are a late game cushion in some games we don't have!!!!!! Those early points can be gold at the end.

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah it's going to be a very tough game.  Hopefully they can get some more players back also.  For some others returning as well from injuries today, maybe a day of rest then trying to get them back into the swing of things.  It was good having Anderson and Davis back.  With as bad as everyone has been playing AFC S, if the colts can continue to get healthy they should be able to compete for the division title.  The schedule is pretty brutal though. 

Titans lost which was good. I was unsure what would happen in their game but they managed to lose to Oakland after all! 

Jags lost again, but they look to have stayed in it vs. Baltimore. I am suprised Balitmore is 3-0, not sure I am believing in them yet based on who they have beaten yet........

Jags got demolished in San Diego but I did read once they never ever win in the west coast. lmao Something like their last win their was 2004 out west. Jags played Packers week 1 and well......they kinda hung tough with them for a while.

We should win in London, but with it being divisional it makes me nervous.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Titans lost which was good. I was unsure what would happen in their game but they managed to lose to Oakland after all! 

Jags lost again, but they look to have stayed in it vs. Baltimore. I am suprised Balitmore is 3-0, not sure I am believing in them yet based on who they have beaten yet........

Jags got demolished in San Diego but I did read once they never ever win in the west coast. lmao Something like their last win their was 2004 out west. Jags played Packers week 1 and well......they kinda hung tough with them for a while.

We should win in London, but with it being divisional it makes me nervous.

Yeah, I was listening to the Jags game on Sirius/XM and it seemed like Baltimore was going to lose but then the Jags managed to screw it up.  Bortles played like trash but last year he managed to play well vs the Colts. I don't really feel strong about anyone in the AFC South including the Colts so it will be interesting.  I really hope Houston, Jacksonville and Tenn continue to play like they did week 3 haha

16 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah, I was listening to the Jags game on Sirius/XM and it seemed like Baltimore was going to lose but then the Jags managed to screw it up.  Bortles played like trash but last year he managed to play well vs the Colts. I don't really feel strong about anyone in the AFC South including the Colts so it will be interesting.  I really hope Houston, Jacksonville and Tenn continue to play like they did week 3 haha

Colts and Texans have the edge with recent history but sadly the Titans have the same record we do and beat the Lions on the road. lmao 

But, our win is vs. the AFC and so we are ahead of them.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The game being in London is what worries me. Games in London tend to be odd. I think we will win, but who knows. 

It was a good win but Colts made it tougher than it really needed to be with two big Luck turnovers.  Fortunately he and T.Y. we're able to pull this one out of the fire. The defense made the plays they needed to and benefitted from a not so sharp performance by Rivers. It's always great to beat the Chargers and their pouty punk QB.  This probably makes up for the Lions loss but the Colts need to follow this up with a win over the Jags in London or this win will mean very little. 

Jags aren't good and thier best reciever has been locked up by Vontae in the past remember thier receivers used to obliterate only toler and sometimes butler lol  and so far this year the Allen bros haven't done squat thanks to Blake "throw it to the opposition" bortles 

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The game being in London is what worries me. Games in London tend to be odd. I think we will win, but who knows. 

No they are not. They are not anymore odd than anywhere else. Not the one's I've been too (7). Blowout, Close. Big comebacks, Wet sodden field. Boring. Exciting etc. It's football.

Does not matter where the Colts play right now they need to worry about playing 60 minutes of football, well at least 30 minutes. To many mistakes the first 3 games cost the colts a possible 2-1. The offense needs to clean it up. The defense looks like it is getting healthier which is good. Divisonal games are coming up Jacksonville will be tough play no matter where we play them, So they need to focus on that control, the tempo and if the run is working use it, What was that yesterday Gore had over 50 yards first half and the next thing you know luck was throwing it everywhere.  

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

No they are not. They are not anymore odd than anywhere else. Not the one's I've been too (7). Blowout, Close. Big comebacks, Wet sodden field. Boring. Exciting etc. It's football.

It's just an odd twist I think is what he is saying.  Playing at 9 in the morning American time in another country is another element.  Some people are still waking up at that time, so hopefully that doesn't effect our response level.   Of course at the end of the day it's football and we have to play Colts Football to win the darn thing.

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

Does not matter where the Colts play right now they need to worry about playing 60 minutes of football, well at least 30 minutes. To many mistakes the first 3 games cost the colts a possible 2-1. The offense needs to clean it up. The defense looks like it is getting healthier which is good. Divisonal games are coming up Jacksonville will be tough play no matter where we play them, So they need to focus on that control, the tempo and if the run is working use it, What was that yesterday Gore had over 50 yards first half and the next thing you know luck was throwing it everywhere.  

Gore had 21 carries so his carry count was up. At his age he has to be on a snap count. Ferguson and Turbin had 5 carries while Ferguson had 3 catches. Just because Gore had 50 yards in the first half doesn't mean we can run his legs off. Ferguson is not the type of runner to pound.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gore had 21 carries so his carry count was up. At his age he has to be on a snap count. Ferguson and Turbin had 5 carries while Ferguson had 3 catches. Just because Gore had 50 yards in the first half doesn't mean we can run his legs off. Ferguson is not the type of runner to pound.

Sorry was not really talking about Gore alone the Colts was in control of the line of scrimmage in the first half. But in the second half went to throwing the ball instead of sticking with the run game, 

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

Sorry was not really talking about Gore alone the Colts was in control of the line of scrimmage in the first half. But in the second half went to throwing the ball instead of sticking with the run game, 

I really don't understand why Turbin is not used for more than goal line work. I have no clue.