Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz Appreciation Thread

danlhart87

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Wow I knew this guy would be great but he is far surpassing my expectations. 

He is gonna lead Eagles to SB one day

Ryan Leaf was 2-0 in his first 2 games. I wouldn't go that far with it. Carson is playing good and doesn't appear to be a bust but it amazes me how many people base things off of 2 or 3 games. Look what Foles did in his first few games. Lets see what things look like around week 8 or 9, just like with the Colts Division = lets see where we are and the Texans are :-) instead of after 2 weeks.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan Leaf was 2-0 in his first 2 games. I wouldn't go that far with it. Carson is playing good and doesn't appear to be a bust but it amazes me how many people base things off of 2 or 3 games. Look what Foles did in his first few games. Lets see what things look like around week 8 or 9, just like with the Colts Division = lets see where we are and the Texans are :-) instead of after 2 weeks.

True, all rookies go through some ups and downs while they get their experience level up.  Tape will comer out on the Eagles and Wentz, and Good DC / HC will find a way to slow him down at times.  But I felt he was most ready of all QB's last draft, even though from an FCS school.  (Lynch still has the most exciting ceiling, if Elway/Kubiak bring him up right).  Some other lower tier school QB's of note-

Year Pick Name School QBR
1978 17 Doug Williams Grambling 69.4
1979 7 Phil Simms Morehead St 78.5
1995 3 Steve McNair Alcorn State 82.8
2008 18 Joe Flacco Delaware 84.7

Williams struggled with the inept Bucs, but won a Super Bowl with Redskins.  Simms had pro bowls and 2 Super Bowls,  Flacco won Super Bowl and SB MVP, + ROY,  McNair had probowls, shared MVP with Peyton Manning, and was a yard from tying the game in a Super Bowl.  So Wentz does have others that made a very nice living in the NFL and wasn't from a Big Time college school.

It's a good start for him, but this is a marathon not a sprint.  

Lots of QB's have promising starts and then fail to do very well later on.  Many of them look great their rookie years and then look terrible after that when DC's get plenty of film on them and figure them out.

Nick Foles and RG3 are some pretty recent examples.  

So good start for Wentz, but lets not crown him an elite top 5 QB yet.  

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'll say it again,  Hugh Jackson should not have passed on the young man.  With that Browns owner if they keep losing I wouldn't be surprised if he got the Rob Chudzinski treatment.

They might have felt they had a good shot at Watson next year. They have two 1st's and two 2nd's going into next year from all of the trading the did this year. They have plenty of ammo to get him if they want him. I don't fault them for doing what they did. They built the team this year with 14 picks, and next year can go get their franchise QB. They have the skill positions and OL pretty much set. They just need to fix that defense a little bit and they will be fine.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, all rookies go through some ups and downs while they get their experience level up.  Tape will comer out on the Eagles and Wentz, and Good DC / HC will find a way to slow him down at times.  But I felt he was most ready of all QB's last draft, even though from an FCS school.  (Lynch still has the most exciting ceiling, if Elway/Kubiak bring him up right).  Some other lower tier school QB's of note-

Year Pick Name School QBR
1978 17 Doug Williams Grambling 69.4
1979 7 Phil Simms Morehead St 78.5
1995 3 Steve McNair Alcorn State 82.8
2008 18 Joe Flacco Delaware 84.7

Williams struggled with the inept Bucs, but won a Super Bowl with Redskins.  Simms had pro bowls and 2 Super Bowls,  Flacco won Super Bowl and SB MVP, + ROY,  McNair had probowls, shared MVP with Peyton Manning, and was a yard from tying the game in a Super Bowl.  So Wentz does have others that made a very nice living in the NFL and wasn't from a Big Time college school.

Great stuff!

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Rookie QB's this year have thrown 277 passes, with 7 TD's and only 1 (Boykin) interception.. That won't hold, but is impressive as a start.

Wentz, Prescott, Kessler, Brissett, Boykin.

How about Trevor Siemian, a first year starter lighting the Bengals up for 4 TDs on the road? I never saw that coming. You have to tip your hat to Elway and Kubiak for trusting him more since they knew what he had. He has made the most of the time he had with Peyton and Brock when he was 3rd string soaking up the offense, and now that he is the starter he is taking full advantage of it. :)

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

How about Trevor Siemian, a first year starter lighting the Bengals up for 4 TDs on the road? I never saw that coming. You have to tip your hat to Elway and Kubiak for trusting him more since they knew what he had. He has made the most of the time he had with Peyton and Brock when he was 3rd string soaking up the offense, and now that he is the starter he is taking full advantage of it. :)

Yes, while not a true rookie, Elay/Kubes are getting every bit of the 7th round money out of him.  His ceiling is not Paxton Lynch high though, which is why they went out and got Paxton, knowing Siemian was on the roster.  But Lynch was far behind in other items an NFL QB needs where Siemian was not-  like footwork in 3, 5, and 7 step drops from under center, playbook terminology, etc..

Trevor ans all the rookies will get a trial by fire.  It is the NFL and DC get paid for learning to take rookies strong suits away and make them win in other ways.  Once enough film is out there, things will get tougher.

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

They might have felt they had a good shot at Watson next year. They have two 1st's and two 2nd's going into next year from all of the trading the did this year. They have plenty of ammo to get him if they want him. I don't fault them for doing what they did. They built the team this year with 14 picks, and next year can go get their franchise QB. They have the skill positions and OL pretty much set. They just need to fix that defense a little bit and they will be fine.

Yeah but messing around with the Cleveland ownership he might not even be there to see next year if they keep losing.  You know they ain't got any sense!

Wait, can I give him the Andrew Luck treatment?

DID YOU SEE THAT INCOMPLETE PASS HE HAD!?! HE HAD JIM-BOB COOTER WIDE OPEN DOWN THE FIELD!

When is he going to stop making these bonehead mistakes? How can he have 36 incomplete passes so far  this season?!?

He's a bust the eagles should trade him for a few draft picks.

Plus I hear his shoulder is sore.

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Wait, can I give him the Andrew Luck treatment?

DID YOU SEE THAT INCOMPLETE PASS HE HAD!?! HE HAD JIM-BOB COOTER WIDE OPEN DOWN THE FIELD!

When is he going to stop making these bonehead mistakes? How can he have 36 incomplete passes so far  this season?!?

He's a bust the eagles should trade him for a few draft picks.

Plus I hear his shoulder is sore.

Can't give him the Andrew Luck treatment because he doesn't turn the ball over. Jury is still out on Wentz though. Want to see how he plays when the defense doesn't play that well and he is forced to come from behind.

Just now, SilentHill said:

I don't think you understand I'm trying to be unreasonable on purpose, because you know ...Luck...

I completely understand. Nobody is unreasonable about Luck. He does have way too many turnovers and overthrows etc. I get the joke I just don't think it works. Wentz has looked near perfect and Andrew has been nowhere near perfect so it is not like people nitpick at Luck.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

I completely understand. Nobody is unreasonable about Luck. He does have way too many turnovers and overthrows etc. I get the joke I just don't think it works. Wentz has looked near perfect and Andrew has been nowhere near perfect so it is not like people nitpick at Luck.

lol

So, you know, Luck... this guy who is our QB, has never had an o-line, RB, or defense. It is 100% nitpicking when you expect the QB to do too much.

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

lol

So, you know, Luck... this guy who is our QB, has never had an o-line, RB, or defense. It is 100% nitpicking when you expect the QB to do too much.

Luck and the whole organization knows he can't make the bonehead mistakes he has made in games. That is all I'm saying.