Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TRADE?

Dark Superman

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

We've got enough aging players, need youth movement and build a monster defense.....

Dapoop is back.

u were gone for a while.  Were you on "your" team's board lookin to see who your #4 QB will be?

I was worried u got banned.

i look forward to the entertainment.

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

Both guys are under contract for 3 more years. Pretty unusual to extend for 4 years and fire the following year. Would cost Irsay a very large chunk of change.

I think if Jimmy did want to fire Grigson and or Pagano money wouldn't become an issue. With that said Jimmy and his past history has shown he don't make knee jerk reactions or changes quickly.

He will give every chance for Grigson and Pagano to show he was right in giving them an extension.

Look how long it took him to fire Polian and son. He waited till the drafts were not working and the cap space was in hades.

Grigson and Pagano's problem was the three 11-5 seasons right off the bat. It was good but when things wasn't so good the reaction has been pretty strong by a lot of fans who got pretty spoiled from those first three seasons.

Now we have had so many injuries it is hard to tell what this team can do. Just when the offense seems to shine we lose our best if not our second best receiver.

I believe that Jimmy will wait till it is seen what this team can do when healthy and also what the next draft brings. IMO he will do nothing this season or the next. If things are going south at the end of next season then Jim will think about making changes but not till that time.

9 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The MAIN REASON I mentioned the Colts could be looking to make a trade because if they fail to make the playoffs, Grigson and Pagano could both be fired.

I can't see the Colts missing the playoffs two years in a row and having Irsay keep both of these guys, especially Grigson. If these guys become desperate, heck anything is possible especially when jobs are on the line.

Yes,  they COULD be fired,  but I don't think they would be for several reasons.

First....   even Irsay noted we were not the favorite to win the division this off-season.     Even he noted that our roster doesn't appear to be as strong as we'd all like and the rest of the division all seemed to get much better,  so Irsay seems aware of the possibility of a disappointing season.

Second.....   it would cost a LARGE amount of money to buy out Grigson and Pagano.    Both signed new 4-year deals.     To buy them out after just one year would be EXPENSIVE.

Third.....      the new HC might not want to keep some of the quality assistants we have like Philbin or Chudzinski.         I don't think Irsay wants to lose either of them.      Now, if he promotes one of them to being the HC,  then that's another story.        But a new GM is likely going to want his own new HC and assistants.    

That all ads up to a potential big messy off-season.     I doubt Irsay wants that.   Even if we miss the playoffs,  I think Irsay believes we're on the right track.      We just need a little patience....

8 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

If you take a look at our draft picks 2-4. Are there any info them you wouldn't trade for a difference maker to help the team right now?    Other than Kelly I think the Colts wasted picks on the online this year.  They all are projects IMO 

so trading draft picks is not a bad idea 

most draft picks are projects

17 hours ago, thecorn4 said:

Can't give up draft picks, especially in the early rounds, and we don't have the people to pull a player for player trade.  So I believe that those options won't work.  Trying to find an option on a practice squad, every team in the NFL is doing that as we speak, so that's a long shot, so I doubt that would happen.  Even if it did, they are on the practice squad for a reason.

An option, but not liked by many, but if it worked would pay huge for us.  Give Mr. Hardy a call and "kick the tires".  Look at it like this, he comes in and we sign him, Mathis and some of the other aged veterans help him out on and off the field.  Hardy is signed to a 3yr. production based contract, with clauses in place that say, you screw up you get nothing.  Next years draft class is supposed to be full of pass rushers, we grab one in an early round, and that would solve a huge hole as far as pass rushes.  Not only for this year possibly, but also for several years to come.  Not condoning Hardy's past, but he alone is the only person minus a huge trade of sorts, that would give us the biggest impact.   

Yeah get Hardy he obviously wouldn't cost a trade and would pay defindens.

19 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I don't know about you all, but I can personally see the Colts making a move at this years trade deadline or even prior to the deadline. Grigson and Pagano have their backs against the wall and this team desperately could use some help (A pass rusher or MLB or make the most sense right now) If the Colts can get someone on this team who can line up opposite of Mathis, or even someone younger in the middle who can actually make a difference, I think once the defense gets healthier and guys like Jones and Anderson return, this can actually be a half decent defense. The lack of pass-rush and poor inside linebacker play is really killing us.. So I'm hoping the Colts make a trade this year and I don't even care if we give up a first or second rounder for someone. Thoughts? This defense needs some talent and I'm praying Grigson can pull off some 2012 magic when he brought Vontae Davis here.

They are not making any trades.

The likelihood of a team giving up on difference making player at this point is slim. 

There is a learning curve for any new player that is brought in so at some point you get to the point of diminishing return.

The Colts desperately need to get younger and the best way to do that is through the draft.  Anything that degrades that concept ain't happening.  

To the point above, this is key when considering the relatively inexpensive cost of draft picks and the fact that they now have a $140 million dollar QB.

So to sum up, they are not making any trades.

13 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

If you take a look at our draft picks 2-4. Are there any info them you wouldn't trade for a difference maker to help the team right now?    Other than Kelly I think the Colts wasted picks on the online this year.  They all are projects IMO 

so trading draft picks is not a bad idea 

Sorry but that is really a bad post

All draft picks are essentially projects.  They all have to developed to one degree or another to be able to play in the league.  And there is football next year as well so while they may not play a lot this year does not mean they won't play eventually.  At some point, I think they will end up with 3 starters from this year's draft - Kelly, Clark & Haeg.

On balance, trading draft picks for current NFL players is a HORRIBLE idea.  They are cheap commodities that teams covet.

49 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Sorry but that is really a bad post

All draft picks are essentially projects.  They all have to developed to one degree or another to be able to play in the league.  And there is football next year as well so while they may not play a lot this year does not mean they won't play eventually.  At some point, I think they will end up with 3 starters from this year's draft - Kelly, Clark & Haeg.

On balance, trading draft picks for current NFL players is a HORRIBLE idea.  They are cheap commodities that teams covet.

Did you hate the Vontae trade?

40 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I do t agree but If so wouldn't it be better to trade that project for a proven player and get results now?

Trading for a proven player is not close to a sure thing.  Because he is proven with one team in one system does not mean a guarantee of similar results.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We will not --- repeat, NOT --- be trading a 1st or a 2nd pick for a player before the trade deadline.

The sooner you get that out of your mind,  the better off we will all be.........

We're not one very good player away from being a very good team.       We are a lot of good players away from being a good team,  and many of them are already on the roster.......    they're just hurt or suspended right now.

Have a little patience....

'nuff said

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Depends on how the contracts are worded. 

Head Coach contracts are worded similarly, and are mostly guaranteed.  It cost Jimmy Haslam $10.5 Million dollars to buy out Rob Chudzinski's deal 1 year into a 4 year deal in Cleveland. A situation much like Pagano is in now except, I think it would take Irsay just under $13.5 million to buy out Chuck.

Chuck is NOT on the hot seat -

http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRankingNFL.htm

And no trades as Irsay wants to get the roster younger, not more experienced. And... continuity.  Not mayhem.

17 hours ago, dw49 said:

Free agency is such a crapshoot. When you boil it all down , you are bidding against multiple teams for a guy that the team that knows him best chose not to resign.

He took a lot of grief for Cherlius and Landry. Granted they were horrible signings but if you look at the high priced OL and Safeties signed in free agency , the "bust" rate is just plain astounding. 

Bill Polian says you will always overpay for a guy in FA... always.  What you then get out of him is totally unknown, From nearly worth it to huge mistake.

He got burned a couple times and stated doing FA that made it worth it wasn't something he and the Colts were good at, so they decided to stick to what they were good at. Drafting and keeping their own.  I think Irsay knows that system can work and has asked we go back in that direction once more.

23 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The MAIN REASON I mentioned the Colts could be looking to make a trade because if they fail to make the playoffs, Grigson and Pagano could both be fired.

I can't see the Colts missing the playoffs two years in a row and having Irsay keep both of these guys, especially Grigson. If these guys become desperate, heck anything is possible especially when jobs are on the line.

lmao that you think you can add a guy mid-season and expect him to make a difference.

In the right situation a trade is always possible till the deadline . If the right situation came along where a player fell out of his coaches grace fit our system in a position of need and the price was right I think the trigger would be pulled . I dont think we should expect Grigson to be swinging for the fences pulling off some block buster trade to save his job he is what 2 games into his contract extension .

23 hours ago, stitches said:

Things can change quickly. I really think they managed to convince themselves that they will be alright with healthy Luck and we will just win the division by default like in the good old times. With that said I generally liked what they did in the off-season. I'm just not sure if it was by accident because their record doesn't really inspire confidence.

The results are not what's the most concerning. It's the way this team has looked in both pre-season and the first 2 games. This team looks horribly coached, horribly built and assembled. The first two losses are not what's the most concerning - we've been starting 0-2 for years now. The more troubling thing is that we don't look like we can make a comeback. I fully expect us to be ~8-8 team or worse. I am really not sure this would save Grigson and Pagano's jobs this time around.

This is my concern as well. This team looks about as awful as a team could look with an "elite" QB, a top notch wr, we had what was supposed to be a top 3 TE duo last 4 season that did zero, an older RB that didn't show his age prior to getting him, an oline that has what was once thought of as having a top 5 LT and now a rated #1 center coming in, an infusion of coaches with huge résumés and always having these defensive guys that get talked up by the coaches and we come out looking as bad as we have. 

Now, we haven't had any starting cb's play significant time and half the starting dline hasn't played either. Maybe this doesn't allow our team to play the game that our coaches evisioned but man, you look at New England and what they have overcome without having their 1,2 and now 3rd string QB knocked out and the way they've won and you have to think we have an inferior team in total to any of the top 10 teams of the league. It's concerning but I'll give this group the entire season to either tighten the rope around their neck or be allowed to remove it altogether. I'm with you though, if they keep looking like this all season, it will not shock me at all to see Pagano out. 

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This is my concern as well. This team looks about as awful as a team could look with an "elite" QB, a top notch wr, we had what was supposed to be a top 3 TE duo last 4 season that did zero, an older RB that didn't show his age prior to getting him, an oline that has what was once thought of as having a top 5 LT and now a rated #1 center coming in, an infusion of coaches with huge résumés and always having these defensive guys that get talked up by the coaches and we come out looking as bad as we have. 

Now, we haven't had any starting cb's play significant time and half the starting dline hasn't played either. Maybe this doesn't allow our team to play the game that our coaches evisioned but man, you look at New England and what they have overcome without having their 1,2 and now 3rd string QB knocked out and the way they've won and you have to think we have an inferior team in total to any of the top 10 teams of the league. It's concerning but I'll give this group the entire season to either tighten the rope around their neck or be allowed to remove it altogether. I'm with you though, if they keep looking like this all season, it will not shock me at all to see Pagano out. 

Seems like last year we overcame having our 1,2,3,and 4th string QB knocked out and finished 8-8.  I would consider that pretty impressive too. 

No trade at all. Not sure why the sky is falling, but my eyes tell me o line is better. D line and linebackers better. I think D Jackson is playing better than last year. We have an injury problem we will only improve from here. Run game has improved, only down fall I see is the pass rush. It will improve when we get our dbs back and healthy. 

Ohhh, we need to start quicker in games as well.