Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So do you feel better about the Colt's divisional chances now?

JPFolks

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

The monster hasn't  even been built yet. We might make the playoffs but will anything special happen? Prolly not. Might make it to the division round and lose at Oak or in KC or get another beat down in the snow at NE

Nothing wrong with that.  It's progress. Three quarters of the league would love a finish like that.  You can't win it unless you make the playoffs.  No the monster hasn't been built yet.  But we are not far away.  A solid FA or two and another great draft like this years and the monster is built. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Nothing wrong with that.  It's progress. Three quarters of the league would love a finish like that.  You can't win it unless you make the playoffs.  No the monster hasn't been built yet.  But we are not far away.  A solid FA or two and another great draft like this years and the monster is built. 

Gotta rebuild the line to protect Luck because 2 years in a row of injury. Then need to fix our linebacking issues

On 12/6/2016 at 10:41 AM, tikyle said:

They will.  And I get it, everyone wants to win.  Everyone wants to feel good.  But empty winning only leads to much bigger disappointment.  What good is 11-5 when you get embarrassed by 3 TDs vs NE?  What good is 11-5 when it takes half of the Chiefs to get hurt for you to come back against them in the playoffs?  What good is 11-5 when you prove that you cannot beat teams that are over .500?

Trust me, I know which of what I speak.  I'm a UF alumnus.  And I saw those guys all year get empty wins.  When they played FSU they looked like what they really were.  And then they ended up winning the SEC East only to get the "privilege" to play Alabama in the SEC Championship Game.  We all see how well that went.

This is a candidate for strangest post of the year.      It's completely backwards.

For you,  it's all or nothing.      Your favorite NFL team better win the Super Bowl or you're not happy.

Your favorite college team better win the National Championship, or you're not happy.

What kind of fan is that?

If you can't enjoy a winning season simply because your favorite team doesn't win it all,  then what's the point of being a fan?       There's only one team out of 32 NFL clubs that wins it all.     1 out of 128 in college.     According to you these fans should not be happy because they didn't win it all.     Even if they had good seasons,  the wins were meaningless empty victories because it didn't lead to winning it all.

That's the worst kind of fan.

If you can't enjoy the journey,  then you're wasting your time.     If winning it all is the destination,  then TRYING to win is the journey.     And a fan has to be able to enjoy the journey because so few actually get to enjoy the ultimate destination.

Were Cubs fans chumps for the last 108 years?     Or is their celebration now worth the wait?

If you can't enjoy your favorite team,   then what's the point?

I'm pretty confident the Colts are not going to win the Super Bowl this year.    But I'm going to enjoy EVERY SINGLE VICTORY UNTIL THEIR SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER!      THAT'S being a fan!

I hope you'll re-think this viewpoint.     You might wind up enjoying the victories along the way....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a candidate for worst post of the year.

For you,  it's all or nothing.      Your favorite NFL team better win the Super Bowl or you're not happy.

Your favorite college team better win the National Championship, or you're not happy.

If you can't enjoy a winning season simply because your favorite team doesn't win it all,  then what's the point of being a fan?       There's only one team out of 32 NFL clubs that wins it all.     1 out of 128 in college.     According to you these fans should not be happy because they didn't win it all.     Even if they had good seasons,  the wins were meaningless empty victories because it didn't lead to winning it all.

If you can't enjoy the journey,  then you're wasting your time.     If winning it all is the destination,  then TRYING to win is the journey.     And a fan has to be able to enjoy the journey because so few actually get to enjoy the ultimate destination.

Were Cubs fans chumps for the last 108 years?     Or is their celebration now worth the wait?

I'm pretty confident the Colts are not going to win the Super Bowl this year.    But I'm going to enjoy EVERY SINGLE VICTORY UNTIL THEIR SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER!      THAT'S being a fan!

I hope you'll re-think this viewpoint.     You might wind up enjoying the victories along the way....

Your Post actually may be up for best of the year. I cant even add to that masterpiece! 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a candidate for strangest post of the year.      It's completely backwards.

I remember having a debate on here after the Colts lost to the Saints in the Super Bowl.  Their point was they would have preferred to not even had made the playoffs rather than lose in the biggest game of the year.  Apparently the devastation was too much.  For the life of me I could not understand that thinking.  You know lose a month of games if that were to happen.  You lose a month of excitement and hope.

I had an epiphany after the Colts lost to the Steelers in the 2005.  That was our first season of tailgating all year with the current group we go to games with.  The loss sucked but it did not take away the fun we had all season.  We had gone to all the regular season games and few road ones and had blast that year.  I remember tailgating under an overpass in Cincy - had an absolute blast.  The next week was a MNF game against Pittsburgh ironically enough and Harrison caught an 80 yard TD on the first play for the Colts.  I can still see the play in my head and recall seeing Marvin breaking wide open.  Those specific memories and others that year were not ruined because of the playoff loss.  The journey is always better than the destination.

Like the old saying goes, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I'm not going to quote the last 3 posts, but I'll say to NewColtsFan, 2006Coltsbestever and jskinnz:  

thank you, thank you, and thank you! 

60,000 of us will be walking out of Lucas Oil Stadium at around 4:00pm on Sunday, heading to our favorite watering hole to sooth our throats, sore from 3 hours of screaming for our 6-6, excuse me, 7-6 first place Colts! Because like you, we get it. 

On 12/9/2016 at 1:21 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Where did you see that I do not enjoy the journey?  You assumed that because I want our goal or destination to be a championship.

Contrary to belief I actually loved this game vs. HOU.  Even though we lost we got to see what we have.  Like you said we were not going to the Super Bowl this year.  SInce that is/was the case why not see what we have.  Especially since we have holes.  Having those old guys who shouldn't/won't be back next year start for a 6-6 team seems pointless.  My point is why play the old guard if we're not good enough to go all the way.  Why not play the young guys and get them some reps and see what we have.  And if we lose (like we did today) we get a better shot at the draft.

Just now, Malakai432 said:

Man they're going to have an extremely difficult time against Minnesota's D, especially if half their starting OL is out. 

Just like all season long we're going to have an extremely difficult time against everyone for a myriad of reasons. That's who we are.

On 12/11/2016 at 1:24 PM, tikyle said:

Where did you see that I do not enjoy the journey?  You assumed that because I want our goal or destination to be a championship.

Contrary to belief I actually loved this game vs. HOU.  Even though we lost we got to see what we have.  Like you said we were not going to the Super Bowl this year.  SInce that is/was the case why not see what we have.  Especially since we have holes.  Having those old guys who shouldn't/won't be back next year start for a 6-6 team seems pointless.  My point is why play the old guard if we're not good enough to go all the way.  Why not play the young guys and get them some reps and see what we have.  And if we lose (like we did today) we get a better shot at the draft.

Hmmm?       Where did I see that you did not enjoy the journey?       Hmmmm?      Where did I see that?

I could've sworn that it was a poster who went by the handle of tikyle who wrote the following...

They will.  And I get it, everyone wants to win.  Everyone wants to feel good.  But empty winning only leads to much bigger disappointment.  What good is 11-5 when you get embarrassed by 3 TDs vs NE?  What good is 11-5 when it takes half of the Chiefs to get hurt for you to come back against them in the playoffs?  What good is 11-5 when you prove that you cannot beat teams that are over .500?

Trust me, I know which of what I speak.  I'm a UF alumnus.  And I saw those guys all year get empty wins.  When they played FSU they looked like what they really were.  And then they ended up winning the SEC East only to get the "privilege" to play Alabama in the SEC Championship Game.  We all see how well that went.

FACT:     You mocked going 11-5 only to get blasted in the AFC Championship by NE.

FACT:     You mocked our amazing comeback in the playoffs because so many Chiefs got hurt in that game.

FACT:     You mocked going 11-5 three straight years because we struggled to beat teams with better records.

FACT:     You mocked your Florida team about "empty wins" because they got blasted by Alabama in the SEC Championship.  

In EVERY CASE you minimized achievement with one excuse or another.     You showed you couldn't enjoy the success of your favorite team because ultimately the team fell short.      In other words,  YOU COULDN'T ENJOY THE JOURNEY,  because your favorite team didn't get to the destination.

And now you turn around and say you "LOVED THE GAME VS. HOUSTON" because you could see what are young guys could do.      I don't know if you noticed,   but our young guys didn't do all that much.     The team played BADLY and we LOST.       But yet you loved that game.       Here's a tip:   There was not much to love in yesterday's game.      No one really showed enough promise to get really excited about.    And yet, you did.

By the way,  I'm not alone in my assessment of your posts.    Did you happen to notice how everyone else who chimed in in the thread,  agreed with me?       Your words were clear and unmistakable.    

And the cherry on top of the sundae was your proclamation in another thread that Andrew Luck is not a leader on this team.      Not only is he "a" leader on this team,   he is THEE leader on this team.     

I'm not even certain you're aware of what you write here?    You're simply amazing......

But I've now explained to you where I got the impression of your views.    I got that impression straight from you.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FACT:     You mocked going 11-5 only to get blasted in the AFC Championship by NE.

FACT:     You mocked our amazing comeback in the playoffs because so many Chiefs got hurt in that game.

FACT:     You mocked going 11-5 three straight years because we struggled to beat teams with better records.

FACT:     You mocked your Florida team about "empty wins" because they got blasted by Alabama in the SEC Championship.  

In EVERY CASE you minimized achievement with one excuse or another.     You showed you couldn't enjoy the success of your favorite team because ultimately the team fell short.      In other words,  YOU COULDN'T ENJOY THE JOURNEY,  because your favorite team didn't get to the destination.

And now you turn around and say you "LOVED THE GAME VS. HOUSTON" because you could see what are young guys could do.      I don't know if you noticed,   but our young guys didn't do all that much.     The team played BADLY and we LOST.       But yet you loved that game.       Here's a tip:   There was not much to love in yesterday's game.      No one really showed enough promise to get really excited about.    And yet, you did.

Being critical of your team (what you say is mocking) has nothing to do with being able to enjoy them.  Just because I'm not all roses and potpourri doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.  What I don't enjoy is when management/coaches/etc do pointless things.  That is why I loved the Houston game.  We got to see the young guys.  We got to assess them in a critical situation.  You may not have enjoyed seeing them play or the results but now at least we have a better idea of whats in the cupboard.  If DQ or any other older vet played and the result was the same what would we have learned from that game?  If those older guys played and we pulled out the win what would we have learned?

This team has been a mirage since Grigson/Pagano has arrived.  We need to get better and getting better is not rolling out mid-30's defenders and leaning on them to carry the load.  I get wanting to win by any means, but we ultimately get there by admitting that we are flawed and trying something new.  That is a fun journey.  That is something to get excited about.  Seeing the same old guard rolled out there week after week and thinking things are going to change is not something that is enjoyable.

And since you saw my other posts about 11-5 I might as reiterate here.  In our three 11-5 seasons we were I think 17-1 vs the division and 16-14 vs the rest of the NFL.  In our last two season so far we are 6-5 vs the division and 8-10 vs the rest of the NFL.  The difference is our division.  It has gotten better and we have remained the same.  That means it's time to try something different.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

Being critical of your team (what you say is mocking) has nothing to do with being able to enjoy them.  Just because I'm not all roses and potpourri doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.  What I don't enjoy is when management/coaches/etc do pointless things.  That is why I loved the Houston game.  We got to see the young guys.  We got to assess them in a critical situation.  You may not have enjoyed seeing them play or the results but now at least we have a better idea of whats in the cupboard.  If DQ or any other older vet played and the result was the same what would we have learned from that game?  If those older guys played and we pulled out the win what would we have learned?

This team has been a mirage since Grigson/Pagano has arrived.  We need to get better and getting better is not rolling out mid-30's defenders and leaning on them to carry the load.  I get wanting to win by any means, but we ultimately get there by admitting that we are flawed and trying something new.  That is a fun journey.  That is something to get excited about.  Seeing the same old guard rolled out there week after week and thinking things are going to change is not something that is enjoyable.

And since you saw my other posts about 11-5 I might as reiterate here.  In our three 11-5 seasons we were I think 17-1 vs the division and 16-14 vs the rest of the NFL.  In our last two season so far we are 6-5 vs the division and 8-10 vs the rest of the NFL.  The difference is our division.  It has gotten better and we have remained the same.  That means it's time to try something different.

Amen.