Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Shoulder

ColtsFanMikeC

I think the chances of Andrew Luck being a full participant in practice on Wednesday's are very, very small.

I think he'll either take Wednesday's off,  or he'll be a limited participant in practice for Wednesdays.

And I think he'll be mostly limited on Thursdays too.

I think the one day he'll be a full participant is Friday.....     I think that will be Luck's world for the foreseeable future.       This is just my hunch...    my gut.....    I could be wrong,  but this is what my instincts are saying to me. 

This will be our new normal.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/25/2016 at 1:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We have new players and a new playing style.....    we've left the mostly man blocking for mostly zone blocking.

Regrettably,  that takes time....

I know it's maddening...

Bill Polian says 8 games, with the same unit in same positions. We can never find people either healthy enough or talented enough to satisfy that requirement.  I'm almost for drafting a LT next year, let him play RT. Then if developed right (and is more talented) swap him with A. Costanzo. Kelly is nice pickup, Mewhort can handle LG.  Plugging in a merely decent RG should suffice at that point.

So defense and an LT on my wish list now.  Exact D positions determined by this seasons development (or lack of).

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances of Andrew Luck being a full participant in practice on Wednesday's are very, very small.

I think he'll either take Wednesday's off,  or he'll be a limited participant in practice for Wednesdays.

And I think he'll be mostly limited on Thursdays too.

I think the one day he'll be a full participant is Friday.....     I think that will be Luck's world for the foreseeable future.       This is just my hunch...    my gut.....    I could be wrong,  but this is what my instincts are saying to me. 

This will be our new normal.

Wednesday is likely install day, so is it Thursday that is padded / full speed?  And Friday the walkthrough?  Anybody know for certain?

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Wednesday is likely install day, so is it Thursday that is padded / full speed?  And Friday the walkthrough?  Anybody know for certain?

Not sure....   I know the media asked Luck last week about taking off Wednesday,  which, as you say,  is install day.....   Luck got a little chippy about it....       this is completely unchartered territory for everyone here....  hard to figure this out....

Wednesday is the day Luck should be there....    so, if he's not,  or if he's limited,  then to me,  that says something....     that's he's being very cautious and very protective....     That he's going to be on a limited "pitch count" during a given week....

I don't find any of this very comforting....

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Bill Polian says 8 games, with the same unit in same positions. We can never find people either healthy enough or talented enough to satisfy that requirement.  I'm almost for drafting a LT next year, let him play RT. Then if developed right (and is more talented) swap him with A. Costanzo. Kelly is nice pickup, Mewhort can handle LG.  Plugging in a merely decent RG should suffice at that point.

So defense and an LT on my wish list now.  Exact D positions determined by this seasons development (or lack of).

I think because of what we've committed to Castanzo dollar-wise,  we're committed to him to be our LT....    I think he graded out pretty highly vs. San Diego....     hopefully it's the start of a nice run of starts for him....

On September 25, 2016 at 2:42 AM, NewColtsFan said:

My point when I explain what the Colts did in 2013 is to remind posters here that we DID try to address the problem.

Posters repeated ask why hasn't Grigson tried to do more sooner?      What was he waiting for?      I'm simply reminding fans that Grigson invested serious money and draft picks hoping to solve our OL problem in his 2nd year.      We needed to give those moves time to either pan out and work,   or not pan out and get cut.   

In the last few years,  he's added Mewhort,  Good, and Kelly,  and Reitz improved the quality of his game.   

But we are still not a cohesive unit yet.     Unfortunately,  the OL often takes time to gell and became a solid working unit.       And that's where we are now.....    waiting for the unit to come together.

But we will likely take a step back this week.     Good is out with a bad back,  and I'm not sure how he's going to get replaced?        

Yes, you're right. Grigs has made moves that didn't pan out like Todd Herremans, Khaled Holmes, & Lance Louis for instance. But, to his credit, other moves are working like you said. 

My only point is this: He [Grigs] spent too many early draft picks on WRs vs protection up front. Our pocket is getting better week to week & Philbin & Grigs get credit for that & our running game with Gore & Turbin has shown flashes of brilliance hitting creases. 

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

My only point is this: He [Grigs] spent too many early draft picks on WRs vs protection up front.

But he didn't, despite the narrative. 

Grigson drafted 4 receivers in 4 years: Hilton (3rd), Brazill (6th), Moncrief (3rd), Dorsett (1st). 

In the same time period, he drafted 6 OL: Anderson (7th), Thornton (3rd), Holmes (4th), Mewhort (2nd), John (7th), Good (7th).

Then this year, he drafted 4 more OL, including Kelly in the 1st. In five years, that's 4 receivers, 10 OL. Even "early" picks -- which to me is first and second rounders -- is 2 OL, 1 WR. Add in the third round, and it's still 3 OL and 3 WRs.

Grigson largely failed to fix the OL for four years, no question. But it's not because he didn't try, and it's definitely not because he spent too many picks on receivers. 

12 hours ago, Superman said:

But he didn't, despite the narrative. 

Grigson drafted 4 receivers in 4 years: Hilton (3rd), Brazill (6th), Moncrief (3rd), Dorsett (1st). 

In the same time period, he drafted 6 OL: Anderson (7th), Thornton (3rd), Holmes (4th), Mewhort (2nd), John (7th), Good (7th).

Then this year, he drafted 4 more OL, including Kelly in the 1st. In five years, that's 4 receivers, 10 OL. Even "early" picks -- which to me is first and second rounders -- is 2 OL, 1 WR. Add in the third round, and it's still 3 OL and 3 WRs.

Grigson largely failed to fix the OL for four years, no question. But it's not because he didn't try, and it's definitely not because he spent too many picks on receivers. 

If I'm being honest with myself, my frustration stems from the fact that I'm still seeing Luck get hit too much in the pocket ever since Grigs took over as our GM. I will grant you that I'm probably being somewhat impatient given Luck's shoulder, rib, & kidney ailments in previous seasons. 

Yes, I know. It takes a line awhile to bond & gel as a unit. I guess I just remember the early success RW had in the Pacific NW & how good that Seattle line was with Max Unger at Center & other pieces that manhandled the Broncos in the SB during the 2013 season. I just know how great Andrew could be with a top notch wall in front of him. I get it. With salary cap limitations/restrictions, there's only so much money to be spread around & RW was still under his rookie deal during that Lombardi run too. 

As much as I hate Dallas as a football team, I respect the commitment they made to protect Romo under Stephen Jones. haha I know; I know even with that superior line Tony still got injured. A valid point. 

Also, let's not forget where Ryan Grigson came from before Jimmy hired him in his new role--The Eagles & what do the Eagles do? Sling the ball everywhere under then HC Andy Reid. Therefore, Ryan was a disciple of the WR/TE school of football thought. And let's not forget the uproar that the Dorsett draft pick created either at the time. To be fair to Grigs, Philip has panned out & was a solid pick, but here's my point: Ryan isn't known for creating great offensive lines even in Philly. 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If I'm being honest with myself, my frustration stems from the fact that I'm still seeing Luck get hit too much in the pocket ever since Grigs took over as our GM. I will grant you that I'm probably being somewhat impatient given Luck's shoulder, rib, & kidney ailments in previous seasons. 

Yes, I know. It takes a line awhile to bond & gel as a unit. I guess I just remember the early success RW had in the Pacific NW & how good that Seattle line was with Max Unger at Center & other pieces that manhandled the Broncos in the SB during the 2013 season. I just know how great Andrew could be with a top notch wall in front of him. I get it. With salary cap limitations/restrictions, there's only so much money to be spread around & RW was still under his rookie deal during that Lombardi run too. 

As much as I hate Dallas as a football team, I respect the commitment they made to protect Romo under Stephen Jones. haha I know; I know even with that superior line Tony still got injured. A valid point. 

Also, let's not forget where Ryan Grigson came from before Jimmy hired him in his new role--The Eagles & what do the Eagles do? Sling the ball everywhere under then HC Andy Reid. Therefore, Ryan was a disciple of the WR/TE school of football thought. And let's not forget the uproar that the Dorsett draft pick created either at the time. To be fair to Grigs, Philip has panned out & was a solid pick, but here's my point: Ryan isn't known for creating great offensive lines even in Philly. 

All fair points. I've said before, I think they hit a reset button, and it's basically a new regime (we all know it's not, really, but I think there's a new, clearer directive from 2016 on). They committed to the OL this offseason. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

All fair points. I've said before, I think they hit a reset button, and it's basically a new regime (we all know it's not, really, but I think there's a new, clearer directive from 2016 on). They committed to the OL this offseason. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

I respect you Superman because you're smart, extremely fair, & a darn nice guy. 

Like I always say regarding Grigson, I admire how a man with no front office GM experience previously studied player film regularly & cleaned up our dead money cap space problem after Bill Polian was relieved of his duties following the 2011 season. Plus, it's difficult to learn a job you have never done before on the fly when your the 1 pulling the draft trigger in concert with the HC & the owner's approval. It's not monopoly money Ryan is playing with here. 

Also, the Philbin hire was a good decision too. 1 that I was originally reluctant over. I make a lot of mistakes, but when something works, I own my failures & move on. I just wanna win a SB under this regime eventually & God willing with a few lucky bounces our way INDY will.