Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the NFL expanded to 4 new cities ?

digroute88

Probably give one back to St. Louis, London would get one.  

Then maybe Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City.  

NFL should look at marketing and possibly expanding into Germany.  Seems like the NFL is getting more and more players from Germany.  So there must be a following for American football there.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Probably give one back to St. Louis, London would get one.  

Then maybe Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City.  

NFL should look at marketing and possibly expanding into Germany.  Seems like the NFL is getting more and more players from Germany.  So there must be a following for American football there.  

Salt lake city?   That will NEVER happen.  They aren't in the top 100 populations in the country

London, England

Mexico City, Mexico

Possibilities after that-

Germany  (Problem is they can't get any network to carry regular season games, just playoffs and Super Bowl)

Brazil

Canada

China  (Very Niche market.  Potential squabbles over digital media rights)

Those are market areas the NFL has targeted.  And to ensure London has a team by 2022, the NFL passed resolutions that keep teams heading to London to play in full supply-

The first one stipulates that if teams are relocating -- and one or two very well may be in next couple years -- they have to give up a home game in each of their transitional years, the seasons between the move being announced and a new stadium opening. The second says that teams that win a Super Bowl bid have to give up a home game within a five-year period.

I doubt any U.S. city gets a look anytime soon.

I don't see expansion.

I see other teams using open cities to gain leverage with the THREAT of moving.

That's how the NFL has survived for the past 25 years.    The team tells their communities to give them what they want ---- or else.

As for the cities.....    remember, it's not just population size,  it's also the number of corporations and businesses that will want to sign up for luxury suites and possible personal seat licenses.     That's where owners really make money.    

Las Vegas now works because every hotel and every resort is going to buy a lot of season tickets to give to high rollers......     a tax write-up for the businesses and money in the pocket of the owners.      Win-win.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, jvan1973 said:

None,  32 is the perfect amount of teams.  

Agreed but just to humor the OP I would go with

STL

SA

LV

LONDON

Honestly they should move the team out of Jacksonville to STL....those fans got screwed and it would actually make travel in the AFC South easier and make for a much better rivalry for the other 3 teams fan base.

After thinking about this for a minute, no. 

With looking at the NBA and how watering down the talent level of professional players has effected the game I don't like the idea of expansion.

It's already hard to find a lot of competitive players with 32 teams as it is. Especially the QB position.

Definitely Vegas, London is just a big no, just way too much travel...sure they may gain some popularity in the UK, just not enough to go there, especially with BREXIT....

So my picks would be Las Vegas, Portland, St. Louis.& maybe a team in Canada such as Toronto.

US cities I see as real options are San Antonio and Las Vegas with cities like Honolulu Louisville Oklahoma City Salt Lake City and Portland having enough to possibly draw a team .

Don't see a team in Europe anytime soon although I do see Canada as a viable option in a expansion there are several large markets that are close to the border on either coast that could support a NFL team .

I do believe there are enough teams as is adding 4 teams would only widen the talent gap among teams . 53 man roster times 4 teams 212 roster spots with 88 starters . That is a lot of talent

On 9/20/2016 at 5:09 PM, GwinnettColt said:

I'm going with your word "If" and will contribute.

1) Portland, OR.

2) Albuquerque, NM

3) Oklahoma City, OK

4) St. Louis, MO

Albuquerque, NM????? While I'd love that, it will never happen in my lifetime. Too many teams nearby.