RockThatBlue

College Basketball 2016-2017 thread

348 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

You could throw UK in there too....I mean they have the top recruiting class year in and year out....although at least Cal gets them there every few years.....but honestly they have like 1/2 of the NBA All-stars have played for them...they should be in the Final Four every year...he just needs a couple seniors to pair them with....they should be that good...no excuse not to be there. I mean if you had an NBA team full of Kentucky players (I refuse to say Alum because I doubt any have a degree) they would win the NBA championship hands down. Who did Kansas have on their roster...Josh Jackson and an undersized Mason...they had no size at all...even smaller than UK.

Very true but Kentucky usually has all freshman and Anthony Davis did win won 5 years ago.  I do see what you mean though. I'll say Kentucky has developed much better pro basketball players. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Northern Iowa too!! They do get upset often....the name on the front of the uniform only matters to the selection committee...once that ball gets tossed up it won't count for squat. It isn't who your talking about going into the game its who your talking about when your leaving the game. Kansas just doesn't seem to have that mental toughness that some other teams have....I think it comes from the coach down. While Kentucky fans have that same mentality I do give coach Cal credit he always has his team playing super hard from tip to final buzzer...something I don't think Kansas does....they coast way too often. I'd hate to be a Kansas fan....gotta be tough because you don't even feel comfortable with a 1-16 matchup.

I completely agree.  I remember the Northern Iowa upset too.  That's when the Morris twins were at Kansas.  They make the tourney every year but always seem to get beat.  I told people the same thing this year but everyone though since they steam rolled through the first 3 rounds that they'd win it all. 

On 3/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Try living near Bloomington

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/death-threats-to-a-ref-the-lunatics-are-threatening-to-overtake-kentuckys-fan-base-153826406.html

yeah these are the fans that live near me. I know every fan base has them but have you ever gone on to any UK fan sites? This stuff pales in comparison to what they say on there. It makes the patriot fans look normal.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Down goes UConn Down goes UConn

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss! Unreal! Mississippi St pulls off a huge upset. It happened, they finally lose :rock::billiejean:

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss! Unreal! Mississippi St pulls off a huge upset. It happened, they finally lose :rock::billiejean:

Still bummed that ND couldn't do it

1 person likes this

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Still bummed that ND couldn't do it

UConn losing is so stunning that I still cant believe it. I had to think back at how stunning this is compared to other sporting events? Maybe Giants over the undefeated Pats in 2007? Douglas over Tyson in Tokyo when Tyson was invincible in 1990?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

UConn losing is so stunning that I still cant believe it. I had to think back at how stunning this is compared to other sporting events? Maybe Giants over the undefeated Pats in 2007? Douglas over Tyson in Tokyo when Tyson was invincible in 1990?

ND or the UCLA juggernaut of the 70s

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ND or the UCLA juggernaut of the 70s

NC State over Akeem and Drexler at the buzzer in 1983 haha came to mind too.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think Gonzaga wins tonight.

Radiogirl wins the office pool if they do.  

5 people like this

On 4/1/2017 at 0:48 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NC State over Akeem and Drexler at the buzzer in 1983 haha came to mind too.

Corliss Williamson won me my senior pool  )  

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I hope so, I am rooting for them. I usually root for the underdog when I have no dog in the fight. Not really a fan of either team but if Gonzaga wins that would be cool. In the women's Basketball final Mississippi State got beat badly after beating UConn, UConn has to be puzzled to how they lost to that team which makes it even worse for them.

2 people like this

Georgetown has hired Patrick Ewing. That should be interesting

3 people like this

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Georgetown has hired Patrick Ewing. That should be interesting

Yes I don't see him putting up with nonsense from his players. Should be able to recruit. IMO think he will do well in the long run.

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes I don't see him putting up with nonsense from his players. Should be able to recruit. IMO think he will do well in the long run.

I think that is a great hire. He is well respected there. Glad for him.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Then by all means....   Go Gonzago.   Go RG   :cheer:     

2 people like this

I kinda didn't get into this big game tonight sadly. Looked like a great game though from parts I did watch. I expected Gonzaga to lose, I had them losing the final 2 in my picks. Sadly I had them losing to Kansas so I was half wrong. lmao 

I would have preferred we had one of the two big underdogs there tonight in SC or Oregon to make it more exciting but congrats to UNC.......always nice to win the year after losing the big game for redemption. 

I think UConn women losing though stole the college basketball headlines this past week. :) 

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

We won second place.  Not too bad!  Fortunately, my hubby is pretty good at brackets!

20 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Wish they would have.

2 people like this

It was a good game last night. It could have been better though if the refs would have let them play a little bit.  26 fouls or something crazy called in the 2nd half?  That's pretty ridiculous.  I didn't have a dog in the fight but I thought North Carolina was the more experienced team and had the size to match Gonzaga.  I thought they would win but I wouldn't have been upset if Gonzaga pulled it out.  March madness is the best basketball time of the year.  Won't be back for another 11 months!

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

It was a good game last night. It could have been better though if the refs would have let them play a little bit.  26 fouls or something crazy called in the 2nd half?  That's pretty ridiculous.  I didn't have a dog in the fight but I thought North Carolina was the more experienced team and had the size to match Gonzaga.  I thought they would win but I wouldn't have been upset if Gonzaga pulled it out.  March madness is the best basketball time of the year.  Won't be back for another 11 months!

Officiating in CBB is not very good IMO. CBB has a lot of refs who try to make the game about themselves.

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Officiating in CBB is not very good IMO. CBB has a lot of refs who try to make the game about themselves.

I couldn't agree more.  The 2nd half of that game was awful.  It should be about the players not the refs.

3 people like this

15 hours ago, Jules said:

I kinda didn't get into this big game tonight sadly. Looked like a great game though from parts I did watch. I expected Gonzaga to lose, I had them losing the final 2 in my picks. Sadly I had them losing to Kansas so I was half wrong. lmao 

I would have preferred we had one of the two big underdogs there tonight in SC or Oregon to make it more exciting but congrats to UNC.......always nice to win the year after losing the big game for redemption. 

I think UConn women losing though stole the college basketball headlines this past week. :) 

I fell asleep during the game, I figured North Carolina would win. UConn's women losing may end up being the biggest story of 2017 in sports. In 2016 we had Cubs winning for the 1st time in 108 years and we had the Cavs coming back on the Warriors down 3-1 to ends Cleveland's 52 year drought without a Title, now we have UConn losing in 2017!

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I fell asleep during the game, I figured North Carolina would win. UConn's women losing may end up being the biggest story of 2017 in sports. In 2016 we had Cubs winning for the 1st time in 108 years and we had the Cavs coming back on the Warriors down 3-1 to ends Cleveland's 52 year drought without a Title, now we have UConn losing in 2017!

A 100+ winning streak is insane. May never see that happen again in any sport.

2 people like this

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

A 100+ winning streak is insane. May never see that happen again in any sport.

No doubt. I didn't see them losing coming at all. They beat that same team by 60 points last season. Then Miss St turned around and lost in the final game.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No doubt. I didn't see them losing coming at all. They beat that same team by 60 points last season. Then Miss St turned around and lost in the final game.

That UCONN win probably was Miss States championship lol.

1 person likes this