Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano Is The New Coach Of The Indianapolis Colts (Merge)

MSColtsFan

I'm going to ask a question. Many people who were all for firing Jim Caldwell made the claim that he was not a good coach and that he just road the coattails of Peyton Manning; yet many of those same people are lauding the hiring of Pagano because of how great the Ravens D was in his one year as DC. The question is, why don't you think he just road the coattails of Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, and Reed?

Hey Coffee, I think a lot of people unfairly criticized Caldwell, as you know. I don't think he was as bad as he's made out to be. But the Caldwell Era is over. I think you should get on board and stop looking out the rear window.

I think we got a good guy in Pagano. He has pedigree, he has experience, he's been around a lot of good football people, and he's not a retread living off past accomplishments. Time will tell whether he's worth his weight in facial hair (;)), but he's our guy now. Let's hunt.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Coffee, I think a lot of people unfairly criticized Caldwell, as you know. I don't think he was as bad as he's made out to be. But the Caldwell Era is over. I think you should get on board and stop looking out the rear window.

I stated long before he Caldwell was fired that I would completely understand the Colts firing him and I do. My whole question has to do with the fans.
I think we got a good guy in Pagano. He has pedigree, he has experience, he's been around a lot of good football people, and he's not a retread living off past accomplishments. Time will tell whether he's worth his weight in facial hair ( ;)), but he's our guy now. Let's hunt.

That is yet to be seen. I'm not disappointed in the hire nor do I think it's a great hire yet.

How many years did Chuck sign up for? What character, man, talk about night and down between the 2 personalities of him and Cald.

Did you mean "what A character" I hope? He's mildly amusing - even if he does like to hear himself talk way too much. Caldwell was funny at times himself. But these are trivialities either way. I hope, however, that you aren't suggesting that he is a man of better character than Caldwell? That's pretty unlikely, even if we knew enough about him to form an opinion. Which we don't.

His opening monologue was often so repetitive, self-absorbed and tedious that I actually started browsing the internet while I was listening. He took 20-30 minutes to say something that required 5-10 at most. That's not my idea of either a good spokesman, good manager, or good entertainer (not sure what your basis is for evaluating him).

As to his comments, I loved what he had to say about the defense, finding a staff, respecting and communicating with players, media and co-workers, his family, father and brother, etc. Lots of very encouraging signs there. I didn't like at all what he had to say about the offense. Could you scream it any louder that even if he had a franchise QB, he would tell him to play like Joe Flacco. I like the Ravens, but they are one of the most boring teams in the league. Not happy about that direction in the slightest.

I didn't like at all what he had to say about the offense. Could you scream it any louder that even if he had a franchise QB, he would tell him to play like Joe Flacco. I like the Ravens, but they are one of the most boring teams in the league. Not happy about that direction in the slightest.

I haven't watched the presser yet. What did he say?

I haven't watched the presser yet. What did he say?

Coffee summed it up very well

http://forums.colts....post__p__122499

He added something about there being times when you have to pass the ball 40+ times to win a game, but other times when you have to run the ball to put a game away. Nothing anyone would disagree with, but he left the impression that he prefers a run first ball/time control game.

Coffee summed it up very well

http://forums.colts....post__p__122499

He added something about there being times when you have to pass the ball 40+ times to win a game, but other times when you have to run the ball to put a game away. Nothing anyone would disagree with, but he left the impression that he prefers a run first ball/time control game.

God that's music to my ears. I might be in the minority on that, but it's a proven formula to win championships.

One was a qb coach then HC one was a dc then a HC. One doesn't show emotion one does. Doesn't play into ability of coaching at all but they are diff. So don't say they r the same .

Caldwell was a QB coach by name look at what he did / didn't do with Painter for 3 years.. NO thanks I'm glad he is no longer here

God that's music to my ears. I might be in the minority on that, but it's a proven formula to win championships.

Neither team in this years SB meets that description. Neither did the Packers last year, the Colts when they won,etc. Even the Steelers for all their reputation can fling it around with the best of them. The 1982 Redskins wouldn't be all that successful nowadays (just ask Joe Gibbs - he was an utter failure on his return because the game had changed but he hadn't). More to the point, I wouldn't be all that interested in paying to see them. There is a huge difference between having the ability to run the ball to close out games (as the Colts have been able to in many years of their recent run), and chosing to run first, and only pass when you have to.

I thought that most people considered Caldwell to be "too conservative". That's pretty funny if you consider the offense he ran, and the influence that the Colts have had on changing the game. Adapting to a lesser/younger QBs ability out of necessity is one thing. Aiming to be boring out of the gate is completely different. For him to make these comments - obviously knowing that they wouldn't go over well - after a year where so many QBs had career highs in passing yards often while playing for the most successful teams - while taking over a team that will have either Manning or an electric QB prospect under center - is frankly a bit disturbing. I'm floating on air thinking about what he might do for the defense - but terrified about the O.

I watched the press conference of Chuck Pagano. I didn't know what to expect, because I know nothing about the man. Tabula Rasa. At first, he seemed a bit out of place, not quite comfortable with the presser. He stood off to the side of the mics, and he shifted his weight back and forth. He was away from the mics so his voice was quiet, and had a hard time standing still. But he took his time, thinking of his answers. He didn't rush anything.

He thoroughly explained his emotional ride that had brought him to that podium. He felt a sincere appreciation for Mr Irsay, and he turned to acknowledge him (probably too many times), but he was humbled and gracious. Real. I felt like I could read his combination of nervousness, sense of loss for his old team, a sense of excitement for his new team, his pride in his abilities, and his absolute confidence in who he is, where he came from, and where he is going.

What I saw by the end of the interview, is a new head coach who got control of his stance, how to address the media, mix in some humor, but not pull any punches for stupid questions, and leading comments intended to stir controversy. I see a hire that may be THE hire for this team. I am extremely excited about our new head coach, I think he is the right guy at the right time, and I think Colt fans are in for a new brand of football in the next three years. Where is the like button....