Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Rush?

Dark Superman

I don't get it.. I've seen Ryan Grigson make trades for players and I've sat through nearly half a dozen drafts for the Colts since we brought Ryan here back in 2012 when basically Andrew Luck was handed to him. We gave away high draft picks for a corner and even a running back.. but besides the offensive line, why haven't we done more to address the pass rush situation? Why haven't we done more to replace the only guy who's 35 and is pretty much the only guy on our defense that poses any threat at rushing the QB. The Colts tried when they wasted a first round pick on a guy who was a project in Bjoern Werner (and we all saw how that turned out for us) And this season our only hope is that our two aging outside linebackers  can play to a level that we haven't seen either one of them do in 3 or so more years. The Colts seemed high on Earl Okine and the guy couldn't even make the final 53 man roster.

We do have some pretty solid guys who can develop pressure from the inside IF THEY CAN STAY ON THE FIELD. But in all seriousness, I'm shocked that the Colts haven't tried to do more in getting themselves a disruptive OLB.. this team is lacking a Von Miller like presence and getting someone that the opposing teams have to always be wondering about every time they drop back to pass the ball down field is a must.

Having a solid pass rush would also help our depleted secondary. I just don't think I can sit through another season of watching opposing Quarterbacks literally have all day to throw the ball.

Sorry for the rant.

You can't fix everything in one off season. The team is really devoid of talent right now. This past off season alone, the offensive line, pass rush, run game, and secondary all could have used upgrades. The team elected to go major on the O line and some minor moves on the secondary. Whether or not you think they should have prioritized fixing the pass rush is a different argument. But lets say they HAD tried to fix the pass rush, you know that people(not saying you) would be complaining that the offensive line wasn't prioritized enough (in fact people still do that).

Yeah it sucks that the team is still in "rebuild mode" in year 5, but there's no point wondering what they could/should have done in the past, and how good they should be now. It won't change anything. Right now, the team is probably focusing on this season, and then adding more talent to the pass rush and other areas of need in the off season.

You're exactly right. We're insane for not addressing the pass rush in a major way the last few years. Like this offseason we should have done all we could to acquire Chandler Jones from the Pats. If we had of traded for Jones and signed Brice Irvin to go with Mathis then there ya go. We're gonna have to do something big this coming offseason barring a breakout year by Maggitt or somebody. Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, Jabaal Sheard, and Demarcus Ware are all UFA's. If Mathis had a good year we need to bring him back, sign one of the guys I mentioned above, and use a high draft pick on a pure pass rusher. I want a big time, freak, game wrecker coming off the EDGE. Not an old bum like Trent Cole, or a quality BACKUP like Walden. Maybe we could pull off a trade with Denver and get one of Shaq Barrett or Shane Ray??? either way we have to do something about it after this season.

49 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I don't get it.. I've seen Ryan Grigson make trades for players and I've sat through nearly half a dozen drafts for the Colts since we brought Ryan here back in 2012 when basically Andrew Luck was handed to him. We gave away high draft picks for a corner and even a running back.. but besides the offensive line, why haven't we done more to address the pass rush situation? Why haven't we done more to replace the only guy who's 35 and is pretty much the only guy on our defense that poses any threat at rushing the QB. The Colts tried when they wasted a first round pick on a guy who was a project in Bjoern Werner (and we all saw how that turned out for us) And this season our only hope is that our two aging outside linebackers  can play to a level that we haven't seen either one of them do in 3 or so more years. The Colts seemed high on Earl Okine and the guy couldn't even make the final 53 man roster.

We do have some pretty solid guys who can develop pressure from the inside IF THEY CAN STAY ON THE FIELD. But in all seriousness, I'm shocked that the Colts haven't tried to do more in getting themselves a disruptive OLB.. this team is lacking a Von Miller like presence and getting someone that the opposing teams have to always be wondering about every time they drop back to pass the ball down field is a must.

Having a solid pass rush would also help our depleted secondary. I just don't think I can sit through another season of watching opposing Quarterbacks literally have all day to throw the ball.

Sorry for the rant.

Around 28 teams are lacking a Von Miller like presence.....

Season Tackling Fumbles Interceptions
Year GP GS Comb Solo Asst Sack FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD PD
2011 15 15 64 50 14 11.5 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
2012 16 16 68 55 13 18.5 6 0 0 0 1 26 1 2
2013 9 9 34 27 7 5.0 3 1 60 1 0 0 0 1
2014 16 16 59 42 17 14.0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 2
2015 16 16 35 30 5 11.0 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 1
Career 72 72 260 204 56 60.0 17 5 62 1 1 26 1 10

[59]Maybe I am overrating Miller, but most teams really have a guy producing like that?  14 sacks the year after an ACL?  He's 21st in active sack leaders league wide...... and he's done that in 4.5 seasons

It's ridiculous to expect that Grigson can realistically bring in a Von Miller caliber player from draft. A Miller-like player enters the draft maybe once or twice a decade, and the Colts wont draft that high to be able to draft that guy. Of course, every now and then, someone finds a real gem in later rounds, but thats not a realistic chance, that a mere luck.

What Grigson can do is to find an edge rusher prospect in the fist/second round, who can be coached to be a good/decent starter in 1-2 years..... And if everything adds up, then that player may develop himself to be an elite one as years go by. Like Mathis did.

Btw, Grigson did address the edge rusher position in the draft, he used a 1st round pick on Werner. It just didnt work out well. So lets hope next time they spend a high pick on an edge rusher prospect, the scouting will do a better job. Or, if they address the issue from free agency, they'll find a better solution than an aging Cole. (I'd be more than happy, if they could bring in a Chandler Jones type player next year. That's not impossible .... though, it's not cheap either.)

Just now, Shafty138 said:

really?  Most teams have a pass rusher capable of Von Miller type production?  I doubt that.....

You probably go through team by team and look at the best pass rushers they have. 31 other teams so I'm going to list them all but here is a few

Clay Matthews-Packers

Julius Peppers-Packers

Cameron Wake-Dolphins

JJ Watt-Texans

Whitney Mercilus-Texans

Jason Pierre Paul-Giants

Jerry Hughes-Bills

Justin Houston-Chiefs

Khalil Mack-Raiders

Ziggy Ansah-Detroit

Robert Quinn-Rams

Aaron Donald-Rams

42 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Most teams have at least 1 big time pass rusher capable of Von Miller production

No most don't. There is a reason Von is the highest paid defensive player in history.

Pits similar to saying that most teams have a QB as good as Brady or Rodgers. Von is in rarified air. If you wanna get weird Lanford only had 4 less sacks than Miller last year. Same goes for Mathis on an injury come back year. 

49 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:
Season Tackling Fumbles Interceptions
Year GP GS Comb Solo Asst Sack FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD PD
2011 15 15 64 50 14 11.5 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
2012 16 16 68 55 13 18.5 6 0 0 0 1 26 1 2
2013 9 9 34 27 7 5.0 3 1 60 1 0 0 0 1
2014 16 16 59 42 17 14.0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 2
2015 16 16 35 30 5 11.0 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 1
Career 72 72 260 204 56 60.0 17 5 62 1 1 26 1 10

[59]Maybe I am overrating Miller, but most teams really have a guy producing like that?  14 sacks the year after an ACL?  He's 21st in active sack leaders league wide...... and he's done that in 4.5 seasons

He is obviously a hell of a pass rusher. Your definitely not overrating him. My point was plenty of teams have pass rushers that can put up multiple double digit sack seasons

30 minutes ago, Gavin said:

You probably go through team by team and look at the best pass rushers they have. 31 other teams so I'm going to list them all but here is a few

Clay Matthews-Packers

Julius Peppers-Packers

Cameron Wake-Dolphins

JJ Watt-Texans

Whitney Mercilus-Texans

Jason Pierre Paul-Giants

Jerry Hughes-Bills

Justin Houston-Chiefs

Khalil Mack-Raiders

Ziggy Ansah-Detroit

Robert Quinn-Rams

Aaron Donald-Rams

Half of these players are not edge rushers, but dlinemen. And a Jerry Hughes is in a completely different leage than Von Miller. Henry Anderson was a DROY candidate before he went down last year, so the Colts already have one pretty promising prospect inside. And Ridgeway looks promising too. (Not in a J.J. Watt kind of level, but there is only a handful of Watts, Millers, Macks in the leagure ..... and they go out in top5, top10.)

Its the outside/edge where they are old and lack young talents.

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

No most don't. There is a reason Von is the highest paid defensive player in history.

Pits similar to saying that most teams have a QB as good as Brady or Rodgers. Von is in rarified air. If you wanna get weird Lanford only had 4 less sacks than Miller last year. Same goes for Mathis on an injury come back year. 

And again plenty of teams have a pass rusher who can put up multiple double digit sack seasons

16 minutes ago, Gavin said:

And again plenty of teams have a pass rusher who can put up multiple double digit sack seasons

The number of sacks alone doesnt mean much. Its just a number, which can go up and down from one year to other, while the player's impack on the defense doesnt change a bit. Of course, good players rack up their sack numbers during the course of their carreers, but its the overall capability of pressures (sacks, hits, hurries, constantly collapsing/pressuring the pocket, drawing double teams) what makes them elite. A player with 5-6 sacks a year, who can constantly put pressure on the pocket (so the QB neither can step up, nor roll out), and draws double team, can be just as effective as a 15+ per year sack-machine.

8 minutes ago, Gavin said:

If that's your standard I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Von provides a little more than just double digit sacks. He provides a player opposing teams scheme against and still can't stop most times. I don't agree most teams have a Von miller type on their roster.

8 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

If that's your standard I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Von provides a little more than just double digit sacks. He provides a player opposing teams scheme against and still can't stop most times. I don't agree most teams have a Von miller type on their roster.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been actually. No not a lot of teams have pass rushers that do all the things he can do but several do. He plays both the run and pass very well. When he doesn't get the sacks he applies pressure most often but there are other players capable of similar production both in sack numbers and other pressure who also play the run well along the D Line and OLB

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Clay Matthews-Packers

Julius Peppers-Packers

Cameron Wake-Dolphins

JJ Watt-Texans

Whitney Mercilus-Texans

Jason Pierre Paul-Giants

Jerry Hughes-Bills

Justin Houston-Chiefs

Khalil Mack-Raiders

Ziggy Ansah-Detroit

Robert Quinn-Rams

Aaron Donald-Rams

These guys are not on millers level. Even if they were,  you've mentioned 9 teams... Pretty sure that doesn't constitute most of the league.... they aren't that good anyways. 

9 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

These guys are not on millers level. Even if they were,  you've mentioned 9 teams... Pretty sure that doesn't constitute most of the league.... they aren't that good anyways. 

Those  are all on Millers level when it comes to getting pressure minus Hughes and Mercilus

You say we need a guy who is capable of double digit sacks?...really, you don't think Mathis can do double digits?  he had 7.5 last year, and basicly only played 1/2 the year because he had a suspension, then was worked in slowly after that.  I know he is aging,...and may only have a couple years left,...but Indy has tried to find capable rushers in the past, just most didn't work out. either a production bust,...or outside of football bust.   They still trying, they picked up that OLB Ayers, and Maggitt.  One of them may be of help.  The former has not had a 'pressure' type season because of the defences he was on...and if you tell me that dson't matter,..I send you straight to Langford and say otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You say we need a guy who is capable of double digit sacks?...really, you don't think Mathis can do double digits?  he had 7.5 last year, and basicly only played 1/2 the year because he had a suspension, then was worked in slowly after that.  I know he is aging,...and may only have a couple years left,...but Indy has tried to find capable rushers in the past, just most didn't work out. either a production bust,...or outside of football bust.   They still trying, they picked up that OLB Ayers, and Maggitt.  One of them may be of help.  The former has not had a 'pressure' type season because of the defences he was on...and if you tell me that dson't matter,..I send you straight to Langford and say otherwise.

I agree !! Seems that most have written off Mathis because of his age, I think he can challenge for the sack title, as for our other guys, if we can get some push up front we will get sacks from them as well. I thought Cole looked fast at the mini camp, haven't seen enough of Maggitt yet and anxious to see what Ayers can do.

19 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

I agree !! Seems that most have written off Mathis because of his age, I think he can challenge for the sack title, as for our other guys, if we can get some push up front we will get sacks from them as well. I thought Cole looked fast at the mini camp, haven't seen enough of Maggitt yet and anxious to see what Ayers can do.

Mathis is old and has had injury concerns. If we think this is still going to be the Mathis we had in the Freeny/Mathis show days, you are going to be sadly mistaken I fear. Age hits speed rushers hard and fast so while I hope it isn't this year that it occurs, it will occur soon. When you have some of the other guys who also have that age on them and still producing, they have speed as well as size. Mathis doesn't have that size and power, he has speed and great body control. I look to see these young kids coming up to see if they can produce. Once we get Anderson back and IF he produces like his rookie season, we will have something to build on. If we don't find and develop that coverage guy for those over the middle TE passes every team throws at will against us for the past xxxxx years, it won't matter who the pass rushers are. I see talent on this team, can it be developed by our coaching staff. That is what remains to be seen yet.

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

The number of sacks alone doesnt mean much. Its just a number, which can go up and down from one year to other, while the player's impack on the defense doesnt change a bit. Of course, good players rack up their sack numbers during the course of their carreers, but its the overall capability of pressures (sacks, hits, hurries, constantly collapsing/pressuring the pocket, drawing double teams) what makes them elite. A player with 5-6 sacks a year, who can constantly put pressure on the pocket (so the QB neither can step up, nor roll out), and draws double team, can be just as effective as a 15+ per year sack-machine.

Yeah, that guy getting 15 sacks a year is probably getting a ton of hurries too.

29 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Mathis is old and has had injury concerns. If we think this is still going to be the Mathis we had in the Freeny/Mathis show days, you are going to be sadly mistaken I fear. Age hits speed rushers hard and fast so while I hope it isn't this year that it occurs, it will occur soon. When you have some of the other guys who also have that age on them and still producing, they have speed as well as size. Mathis doesn't have that size and power, he has speed and great body control. I look to see these young kids coming up to see if they can produce. Once we get Anderson back and IF he produces like his rookie season, we will have something to build on. If we don't find and develop that coverage guy for those over the middle TE passes every team throws at will against us for the past xxxxx years, it won't matter who the pass rushers are. I see talent on this team, can it be developed by our coaching staff. That is what remains to be seen yet.

His last full healthy season Mathis led the league in sacks.  Why write him off already? if he had the full year last year, by playing basicly 9 games ( 4 suspension, and 5 slowly being put in) with 7.5 sacks,..that would/could have doubled as well to 15.  Don't write the guy off just because he has not even had a chance to show his worth...I think he has earned that.  

I am also not saying count on it.  We have skilled guys, they just need taught.  Hoping our LB'ers coach can help with that. 

27 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

His last full healthy season Mathis led the league in sacks.  Why write him off already? if he had the full year last year, by playing basicly 9 games ( 4 suspension, and 5 slowly being put in) with 7.5 sacks,..that would/could have doubled as well to 15.  Don't write the guy off just because he has not even had a chance to show his worth...I think he has earned that.  

I am also not saying count on it.  We have skilled guys, they just need taught.  Hoping our LB'ers coach can help with that. 

Mathis was also popped for PEDS coming off the season he led the league in sacks.

Somehow

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Somehow Mathis does not qualify to these people. Hes clearly not a Von Miller type to them. Lol! He just dissapears off the face of the earth somehow. He still plays for this team and is very productive. Certainly will be this year as well. If Ayers has truly just been playing in the wrong scheme then that should give us our other pass rusher. Once Maggitt learns how to rush the passer properly then theirs your third or fourth guy if Walden adds 3-6 sacks this year. It should be better this year.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

After a couple games you will see he still has it. No actually you will find out against Detroit. Hes not injured anymore so i dont see how he has anymore concern than anyone else. Has anyone really even heard from any of these pass rushers that came out in this draft? Leonard Floyd? Shilique Calhoun? I saw Kyler Fackrell get a sack one time. And some of these other guys we were talking about before the draft. Dante Fowler from the previous draft. The top pass rusher from the preseason was an undrafted guy in Marcus Rush. Its still early but i can see why we really didnt find anyone in this draft. Wasnt much there to be honest.

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

Clay Matthews-Packers

Julius Peppers-Packers

Cameron Wake-Dolphins

JJ Watt-Texans

Whitney Mercilus-Texans

Jason Pierre Paul-Giants

Jerry Hughes-Bills

Justin Houston-Chiefs

Khalil Mack-Raiders

Ziggy Ansah-Detroit

Robert Quinn-Rams

Aaron Donald-Rams

Colts wanted to draft Clay Mathews, but Green Bay drafted right before them & beat Indy to the punch, & that's how they ended up selecting Donald Brown. Also, the Colts drafted Jerry Hughes, but he didn't pan out.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

2 things that are an unknown here Krunk. 1. His age is going to catch him at some point, it always does. 100% fact

2. He did lead the league in sacks but it was also stained with an allegation of a banned drug that "may" have given him an advantage. "May" and please note the "may" part. I sure as heck hope he comes back and plays at a high level but even as you pointed out, it's not something you can count on at this point in his career. We will find out in about 6-9 hours how he and others play. 

Gooooo colts!!

26 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

2 things that are an unknown here Krunk. 1. His age is going to catch him at some point, it always does. 100% fact

2. He did lead the league in sacks but it was also stained with an allegation of a banned drug that "may" have given him an advantage. "May" and please note the "may" part. I sure as heck hope he comes back and plays at a high level but even as you pointed out, it's not something you can count on at this point in his career. We will find out in about 6-9 hours how he and others play. 

Gooooo colts!!

He wasn't on Clomid when he got those 7 sacks last year coming off an Achilles injury and a 4 game suspension. Yeah age catches up with you at some point, but we haven't gotten much indication its caught up to Rob Mathis. And as I pointed out if Ayers was truly played in the wrong scheme like many including the GM are thinking then we've added a young pass rusher who should be better than any young guy we would have found in this years draft because hes played a nice amount of football in the NFL already. I think we can get some pressure on the QB as a committee anyway. I also think Sio Moore is a really good blitz guy with some pass rush ability. That crazy Manusky never used his ability. Plenty of film evidence shows Sio Moore can be used in the pass rush plans. Off the edges and through the middle. Between the blitz and guys like Ayers, Mathis, Sio Moore, Maggitt, Cole, TY Mcgill and Langford on the D line I think we will put up some respectable numbers this year. Should also get more pass rush attempts because of the offense. I think we will be okay this year. People are putting too much on the preseason. I think the numbers will be better than last year.

28 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Gooooo colts!!

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't on Clomid when he got those 7 sacks last year coming off an Achilles injury and a 4 game suspension. Yeah age catches up with you at some point, but we haven't gotten much indication its caught up to Rob Mathis. And as I pointed out if Ayers was truly played in the wrong scheme like many including the GM are thinking then we've added a young pass rusher who should be better than any young guy we would have found in this years draft because hes played a nice amount of football in the NFL already. I think we can get some pressure on the QB as a committee anyway. I also think Sio Moore is a really good blitz guy with some pass rush ability. That crazy Manusky never used his ability. Plenty of film evidence shows Sio Moore can be used in the pass rush plans. Off the edges and through the middle. Between the blitz and guys like Ayers, Mathis, Sio Moore, Maggitt, Cole, TY Mcgill and Langford on the D line I think we will put up some respectable numbers this year. Should also get more pass rush attempts because of the offense. I think we will be okay this year. People are putting too much on the preseason.

Just wanted to get us all in the same response since jdubu quoted me, and said krunk, then krunk replied to that quote.  I just feel like the odd man out...lol.

For the record, Once Mathis was put in fully last year, We LED the NFL in sacks the last 2 months.  Just saying....

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't on Clomid when he got those 7 sacks last year coming off an Achilles injury and a 4 game suspension. Yeah age catches up with you at some point, but we haven't gotten much indication its caught up to Rob Mathis. And as I pointed out if Ayers was truly played in the wrong scheme like many including the GM are thinking then we've added a young pass rusher who should be better than any young guy we would have found in this years draft because hes played a nice amount of football in the NFL already. I think we can get some pressure on the QB as a committee anyway. I also think Sio Moore is a really good blitz guy with some pass rush ability. That crazy Manusky never used his ability. Plenty of film evidence shows Sio Moore can be used in the pass rush plans. Off the edges and through the middle. Between the blitz and guys like Ayers, Mathis, Sio Moore, Maggitt, Cole, TY Mcgill and Langford on the D line I think we will put up some respectable numbers this year. Should also get more pass rush attempts because of the offense. I think we will be okay this year. People are putting too much on the preseason. I think the numbers will be better than last year.

You make excellent points with Manusky not tapping into guys talents. I think we have talent on the team as well and I'm hoping the new change of coaches will provide an infusion of knowledge and ability to draw out that talent by adjusting schemes to get the most out of each guy. That's what BB has been able to do in his years with guys who have marginal talent. 

Im not as familiar with Ayers but I recall the name and it seems he was a highly thought of kid coming out of the draft that year. I'd be estate to see an Indy defense on the map with pass rushers from everywhere. Now if we can just get these guys healthy, stay healthy and peak at the right time. Let's hope your optimism on Mathis is much more right than my concerns. 

6 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just wanted to get us all in the same response since jdubu quoted me, and said krunk, then krunk replied to that quote.  I just feel like the odd man out...lol.

For the record, Once Mathis was put in fully last year, We LED the NFL in sacks the last 2 months.  Just saying....

Lol. I may have put in the wrong name as I was responding to 2 different replies here. Sorry about that. You too are included and valued here. Lol

11 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You make excellent points with Manusky not tapping into guys talents. I think we have talent on the team as well and I'm hoping the new change of coaches will provide an infusion of knowledge and ability to draw out that talent by adjusting schemes to get the most out of each guy. That's what BB has been able to do in his years with guys who have marginal talent. 

Im not as familiar with Ayers but I recall the name and it seems he was a highly thought of kid coming out of the draft that year. I'd be estate to see an Indy defense on the map with pass rushers from everywhere. Now if we can just get these guys healthy, stay healthy and peak at the right time. Let's hope your optimism on Mathis is much more right than my concerns. 

And as bad as last year seemed we still had 35 sacks. Way better than a team like the Alanta Falcons who only had 19. Add Mathis back and a couple of the names I mentioned and that number should be in the 40 range I do believe. Remember we got like 41 or so sacks the year we lost Mathis to the injury. I point this out because it was also a year where our offense put up a lot of points. We had more pass rush attempts because teams were either trying to come from behind or keep pace with us. If we get that same offensive production this year then sack numbers should see an uptick. Especially with a healthy Mathis. I'm very confident in what Chudzinski and Luck will bring so overall I'm expecting good things

1 minute ago, krunk said:

And as bad as last year seemed we still had 35 sacks. Way better than a team like the Alanta Falcons who only had 19. Add Mathis back and a couple of the names I mentioned and that number should be in the 40 range I do believe.

I'd like to add Anderson to that list.   I know he only had the 1 sack last year in the 9 games he played, But to his defense, he admitted he only had the one move, the classic Reggie White 'arm thrust'. (or what people today call the swim move).  He said it worked for him vrs most all college o-linemen, but quickly learned it isn't the same for the NFL.  So he has been working hard to learn new ways of rushing the passer all offseason.  

I see the long term concern but what leads anyone to believe the Colts will not be able to get to the QB this season I just don't see it  . First if my memory serves me correctly weren't the colts at or near the top of the league second half of the season we have several guys outside of Mathis that can get home . Yes Mathis is getting older and all but the man still has the moves I would bet there is not a LT in league that looks forward to the matchup believing he will shut the old man down . While we played very vanilla on D in the preseaon the few times Monachino dialed up the blitz they looked good .

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I'd like to add Anderson to that list.   I know he only had the 1 sack last year in the 9 games he played, But to his defense, he admitted he only had the one move, the classic Reggie White 'arm thrust'. (or what people today call the swim move).  He said it worked for him vrs most all college o-linemen, but quickly learned it isn't the same for the NFL.  So he has been working hard to learn new ways of rushing the passer all offseason.  

Grigson did say it looks like Henry Anderson has added to his pass rush Arsenal. If that is true then yes we should expect more impact from him.