Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Romo Down- Bridgewater Down-Start Luck Against Cincy?

King Colt

I would not give Luck much playing time in this last preseason game recalling the Cincy-Pittsburgh playoff game last year. The Bengals so far this preseason have shown as much discipline so far as they did in the Steelers playoff game which is none. Don't forget Philadelphia sacked him three times in the first quarter so why take the chance? It will have no impact on his regular season numbers.   

I don't believe he'll be playing at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Starters usually don't play the last pre-season game.

With that said, I'd be fine letting most of the starting OL start and play for a series or two. Even against backups, that group needs to build some confidence.

Starters don't really play in the 4th preseason game anyway.  One series if anything.  You can't protect them forever, though, and I think he'd benefit from at least a series to keep the week to week routine going.  Just limit the 5/7 step drops and play action if you do.  But as Everyone (lol) already said, he isn't going to play.

17 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I would not give Luck much playing time in this last preseason game recalling the Cincy-Pittsburgh playoff game last year. The Bengals so far this preseason have shown as much discipline so far as they did in the Steelers playoff game which is none. Don't forget Philadelphia sacked him three times in the first quarter so why take the chance? It will have no impact on his regular season numbers.   

I don't believe he's played in a 4th preseason game yet - maybe a series in his rookie season - but I can full on guarantee he's not even going to dress for this game let alone play in it.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Luck ain't playing against the Bengals.  This should be common knowledge.

6 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I'm starting to agree with John Harbaugh.  The preseason has the potential to kill your season if you lose key players/starters.  

Bridgewater was injured with no contact. Same for Jordy Nelson last year, and there are a host of players this happens to every year.

I'm starting to agree that preseason is too long, and probably unnecessarily puts players at risk (especially fringe players who are basically sacrificed to the football gods), but at the same time, injuries happen.

Typically, starting QBs that have been in team , know the offence, etc sit last game.  This game is mainly to evaluate talent "on the bubble" and to assess what postions are weak and you may need to bring someone in to fill gap.

rookie QBs or QBs new to the team will need those snaps.

its tuff, the way practices are limited these days, these games mean more then they used to, imo.  

Especially with us, our OL desperately need  the reps together, but can you risk it?  Our QB, coming off injury, could use the reps, can you risk it?

also, as guys "on the bubble" are trying to make teams, they will play a little "harder" this game to get noticedthan say a vet who will definately be on team. Vets are already thinking week 1 by this time, i'm sure.

i like week 4 because that is when you will see the guys that really want it.  There are always some diamonds that make you say "who is THAT?"  This is the most important game of alot of these guys' lives.  Who will step up?

I am all for 2 extra playoff games if pre-season is reduced to 3 games. You can still have the bye week instead of a 4th pre-season game at the beginning of the season for teams to work out kinks and rest some players to bring them along slowly.

Besides, I have always believed there is only one, i.e. the #1 seed that deserves a bye. So 7 teams from each conference, 6 wild card games instead of 4 amongst the #2 - #7 seeds, I am on board with. 

At least those 2 extra games would be meaningful games. 16 less pre-season game 4s, 2 extra playoff games. I think that is fair. :thmup:

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Bridgewater was injured with no contact. Same for Jordy Nelson last year, and there are a host of players this happens to every year.

I'm starting to agree that preseason is too long, and probably unnecessarily puts players at risk (especially fringe players who are basically sacrificed to the football gods), but at the same time, injuries happen.

I've always felt it should be cut to two games. The starters can play a majority of game one like they do game 3, then the second game for mostly backups like game 4 is. 

At the very least it should be cut down to 3 games. Theres no reason to have 4 or 5 imo. Its risking more injuries, plus the common fan doesn't give a damn about 4 or 5 preseason games. 

To be passive in this league will set you back, you can't be skittish about playing your starters.  For crying out loud, they're making millions.  They need to prepare for the NFL culture, which is fast and furious and if they can't handle it,they don't belong in this league.  

11 hours ago, Jules said:

I am already thinking of Detroit.

Maybe they should hold Andrew Luck out of that one, too. He might get injured and lost for the rest of the season. So do what Caldwell and Polian did in protecting our perfect season with "an abundance of caution" when we lost the Superbowl. <<dripping with sarcasm>>

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

To be passive in this league will set you back, you can't be skittish about playing your starters.  For crying out loud, they're making millions.  They need to prepare for the NFL culture, which is fast and furious and if they can't handle it,they don't belong in this league.  

It's a pre season game. The coaches are now looking at players who will be here or not be here. It is evident the starters are going to be so risking injury is not smart. These are professional football players and are paid to do a job. As far as the NFL culture, what has that have to do with protecting your starters? These players have to play at their best or they will replaced. They all know that, they are not children.

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

I would love for you to elaborate on what how much money they make has to do with anything?

On balance, from beginning to end, your post is really not too good.