Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade morris to the 49ers for a sixth round pick

CR91

It wouldn't be the first time we traded a player who excelled in the preseason. Did it with Caesar. Did it with burley. As much as some of us want to see him beat out tolzien, I'd rather get a draft pick if someone offers it. The 49ers don't have really any good options at QB at the moment and perhaps could be a good trading partner

At this point, I think SF would have more experienced trade options than Morris for that price. Although Morris has looked good and I would rather we kept him as a #2 than Tolzein.

Mark Sanchez springs to mind. Especially with him being jumped by a 7th rounder from last year.

6 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

At this point, I think SF would have more experienced trade options than Morris for that price. Although Morris has looked good and I would rather we kept him as a #2 than Tolzein.

Mark Sanchez springs to mind. Especially with him being jumped by a 7th rounder from last year.

Sanchez is also more expensive I believe

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sanchez is also more expensive I believe

True, but he's not excessively expensive. He makes roughly 4mil a year I think.

And quite frankly SF have no other big name players to pay the money to, so they may as well kick the tyres.

2 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

True, but he's not excessively expensive. He makes roughly 4mil a year I think.

And quite frankly SF have no other big name players to pay the money to, so they may as well kick the tyres.

He also lost an opportunity to start to a third string QB. Maybe they look at paxter Lynch, but he hasn't been impressive either

Eh... I mean I see what you're getting at, but after last year, having a quality backup is pretty important (Us and Cowboys). I'm really hoping that Morris beats out Tolzein for the backup spot. He has shown a lot more in the preseason than Tolzein has, and oddly enough, the commentators love the guy too. 

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He also lost an opportunity to start to a third string QB. Maybe they look at paxter Lynch, but he hasn't been impressive either

Zero chance Denver trade their 1st round pick after preseason his rookie year. Lynch was a development project. He's big, athletic and has arm talent but he need time to develop his mental game.

Denver are already parading Sanchez in front of Dallas fishing for an offer, but I doubt that  happens considering how Dak Prescott lit up preseason and Romo will be back by probably mid November.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sanchez is 3rd on the depth chart in Denver and that isn't a good spot to be at the end of preseason for a QB. I can definitely see him being cut next week.

That way SF can negotiate a new contract with him if they wanted.

Tolzien is the number two and it has been said multiple times so we can get that out of our minds no matter how good Morris plays.

I don't think Morris is going to be worth a sixth round pick yet.. though I didn't think Burley was worth it last year. I think if we put Morris on the practice squad he will be fine.

5 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Eh... I mean I see what you're getting at, but after last year, having a quality backup is pretty important (Us and Cowboys). I'm really hoping that Morris beats out Tolzein for the backup spot. He has shown a lot more in the preseason than Tolzein has, and oddly enough, the commentators love the guy too. 

Only because they can't mess up when pronouncing Morris' name.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If Tolzien doesn't make the team, I think we get our 7th round comp pick for Lowery back. So there's another reason to roll with Morris.

Sorry,  I'm not following here.....      can you please expand on your answer so I understand?

I don't get the connection from one to the other?

Thanks.

The signing of Tolzien cancelled out a potential 7th round compensatory pick for letting Dwight Lowery sign with the Chargers. However, if Tolzien does not make the opening day roster I believe we would get that compensatory pick back provided Lowery makes the team with SD. I read this somewhere when Tolzien signed, but if im wrong please let me know.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  I'm not following here.....      can you please expand on your answer to I understand?

I don't get the connection from one to the other?

Thanks.

The signing of Tolzien cancelled out a potential 7th round compensatory pick for letting Dwight Lowery sign with the Chargers. However, if Tolzien does not make the opening day roster I believe we would get that compensatory pick back provided Lowery makes the team with SD. I read this somewhere when Tolzien signed, but if im wrong please let me know.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I wouldn't say you're wrong, but just keep in mind that none of that is guaranteed.  That was speculated by someone (not a member of this forum but can't remember what site he is associated with) who reportedly has a pretty good track record of predicting compensatory draft picks.  It could very well wind up being true.

4 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

No team in the league will trade a draft pick for Morris! Someone might pick him up if we cut him though. Morris is most likely headed for the PS. 

He'd never make it onto the practice squad. Some other team would claim him in a heartbeat.