Pacergeek

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I don't know about the workings of the salary cap, and the ramifications of cutting an expensive player under contract. What I do know is that Canstonzo has played like crap for two seasons. Seems like the kind of player that played hard as a younger prospect, played well, and earned the pay raise. Once getting the big contract, Anthony believes that he has "made it" and doesn't play with the same level of intensity. Because Anthony has made it in the NFL, there are no consequences when he screws up, because he is the "franchise" LT. There is nobody waiting in the wings to take his spot. The issues on this offensive line starts with our leader, and that guy is Castonzo. How can the other guys play well when our best lineman gives up 3 sacks? It matters giving up sacks when you are paid handsomely to protect the QB. It is not "OK" to be responsible for your QB getting crushed. We need lineman that are * off, and more importantly, hungry to get out there and play good football. This is what drives me crazy about how the Colts are presently run, there aren't consequences for horrible play. Trent Richardson continued to play after it was known he sucked. Bill Belichick wouldn't tolerate his starting LT getting routinely beaten, and would find someone hungry that could get the job done. This really sucks, because I honestly don't think there is another guy on the roster that can challenge Anthony for starting LT, and we are stuck with this guy. There isn't any "Charlie Johnson" kind of lineman on this roster

I am interested to see if you address this post.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that Castonzo has been below par last year and certainly again on Saturday.  What is unreasonable to suggest that his play has suffered because he is coasting due to his contract.  For one second, I don't believe that.  And you simply have no idea if that is the case at all.  Using Richardson as your evidence that the Colts have no consequences to poor play is further nonsense.  And to your Belichick point is further flawed.

42 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Did our starters play big. minutes? The OL started 2 rookies and a 2nd yr guy playing a position he's just learning. We are down to starting CB's who won't be on the roster in 2 weeks. We didn't play healthy starters on both sides of the ball. Get a grip. how about we see what happens vs Lions. I have been a Colts fan since 84 when they came to town with Pagel under center not that it has anything to do with anything preseason games meant nothing then either When have we ever done well in the preseason? This one was pretty successful no one is on the IR you should be pleased and hold of judgement until the season starts. 

I didn't make this thread, also not once have I posted a "the sky is falling" comment on this forum. Your initial post was that you couldn't believe that people are freaking out, my comments only purpose was to try and lend some sense of reason to some of the mass panic we have seen. I'm not exactly sure of what I need to "get a grip' on

28 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

To be blunt, he is cuttable.

not really, if for no other reason than his contract

we would take a dead cap hit of 8 million, and still have to find a lt.  one of the hardest positions to fill

12 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I don't know about the workings of the salary cap, and the ramifications of cutting an expensive player under contract. What I do know is that Canstonzo has played like crap for two seasons. Seems like the kind of player that played hard as a younger prospect, played well, and earned the pay raise. Once getting the big contract, Anthony believes that he has "made it" and doesn't play with the same level of intensity. Because Anthony has made it in the NFL, there are no consequences when he screws up, because he is the "franchise" LT. There is nobody waiting in the wings to take his spot. The issues on this offensive line starts with our leader, and that guy is Castonzo. How can the other guys play well when our best lineman gives up 3 sacks? It matters giving up sacks when you are paid handsomely to protect the QB. It is not "OK" to be responsible for your QB getting crushed. We need lineman that are * off, and more importantly, hungry to get out there and play good football. This is what drives me crazy about how the Colts are presently run, there aren't consequences for horrible play. Trent Richardson continued to play after it was known he sucked. Bill Belichick wouldn't tolerate his starting LT getting routinely beaten, and would find someone hungry that could get the job done. This really sucks, because I honestly don't think there is another guy on the roster that can challenge Anthony for starting LT, and we are stuck with this guy. There isn't any "Charlie Johnson" kind of lineman on this roster

Not this year. Hopefully next year he is moved.

Ok so after week 2 of the preseason people were ready to crown this offensive line after Luck wasn't touched, but the very next game we want to cut our most experienced lineman. Kelly and especially LeRaven Clark had much worse games than Castanzo had. I'm glad this type of game happened now instead of week 1. We've already had a wake up call.

I'm actually impressed by how Luck played while getting hit. He still got the ball out, and he didn't hesitate or panic and make poor decisions. No turnovers for Luck in the two games he's played.

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal.

When Castanzo was at the combine, before he was drafted in 2011, before we went 2-14, Jeff Saturday was on NFL Network. When asked to comment on Castanzo, he said he moves his feet like a right tackle. 

I don't know about you but I'd give that some thought. Joe Reitz has played LT and so has Joe Haeg, he is a 4 year starter. It may not be a bad idea for such an extreme measure. Ravens shuffled their OL big time before going on their playoff run with Flacco playing like Montana untouched due to his OL holding up against the best. 

The season is still early. As far as cutting him, you are not going to find an adequate replacement in the market. Damaged goods like Russell Okung were in demand for the Broncos, so why the heck should we even consider cutting Castanzo? That would be a knee jerk reaction, something experienced GMs do not make. Shuffling the OL or giving a pep talk, that can surely be done, and probably needs to be done, IMO.

Unless they shuffle and give different players an opportunity, lucking out and finally hitting on something, it could be a long season... and possibly a short one for Luck.  The concerning thing is they have gone away from the chaos that was Pep, yet Luck is still being destroyed.  At times, he can barely make a handoff.   He's being hit on three step drops.  Screens are being blown up.

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal.

When Castanzo was at the combine, before he was drafted in 2011, before we went 2-14, Jeff Saturday was on NFL Network. When asked to comment on Castanzo, he said he moves his feet like a right tackle. 

I don't know about you but I'd give that some thought. Joe Reitz has played LT and so has Joe Haeg, he is a 4 year starter. It may not be a bad idea for such an extreme measure. Ravens shuffled their OL big time before going on their playoff run with Flacco playing like Montana untouched due to his OL holding up against the best. 

The season is still early. As far as cutting him, you are not going to find an adequate replacement in the market. Damaged goods like Russell Okung were in demand for the Broncos, so why the heck should we even consider cutting Castanzo? That would be a knee jerk reaction, something experienced GMs do not make. Shuffling the OL or giving a pep talk, that can surely be done, and probably needs to be done, IMO.

Every player needs to be accountable and I don't think there's accountability on this team which is a big problem. Which is why Pagano is not a good coach he's to nice. He wants to be liked and that's not being a great leader these guys need a kick in the butt to get them angry and uncomfortable. I know you can say Tony Dungy was nice and they were successful but Pagano is not Tony Dungy. 

13 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

first, stick with the pacers

second, Castanzo, while his play was beyond the terrible level on saturday, i think still has the the tools to be above average.  To me it seems that AC cant seem to get over his mistakes mentally.  He looks out of focus, kind of like he's worried too much about not screwing up, which is having the opposite effect and causing him to screw up. I get this from the fact that once he has a good game or two, he's fine, but the moment he makes a mistake, he makes another , then another and before you know it, he's had a bad game or a set of games.  Notice his body language in the huddles after he makes a mistake compared to when he doesn't.  Either way, I dont think this is AC thinking he's got it made and being lazy, i think its him thinking now that he has that he has to live up to the pressure that comes with the big contract and its messing with his focus and his performance.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal.

I have been thinking for a few years now that he is NOT a good enough LT.  We have changed almost everything about our oline in the last 5 years except AC and it still sucks.  He is the constant in our oline equation and it always equals poor.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

I didn't make this thread, also not once have I posted a "the sky is falling" comment on this forum. Your initial post was that you couldn't believe that people are freaking out, my comments only purpose was to try and lend some sense of reason to some of the mass panic we have seen. I'm not exactly sure of what I need to "get a grip' on

I'm not surprised you aren't exactly sure 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Did our starters play big. minutes? The OL started 2 rookies and a 2nd yr guy playing a position he's just learning. We are down to starting CB's who won't be on the roster in 2 weeks. We didn't play healthy starters on both sides of the ball. Get a grip. how about we see what happens vs Lions. I have been a Colts fan since 84 when they came to town with Pagel under center not that it has anything to do with anything preseason games meant nothing then either When have we ever done well in the preseason? This one was pretty successful no one is on the IR you should be pleased and hold of judgement until the season starts. 

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Not Cuttable BUT certainly Benchable

That's the thing.  Colts fans find this thread so absurd because on this O-line, he's the rock of the group, yet on another team, he probably would be in danger of being demoted or benched. 

20 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Wow, your a super cool guy

PPF I know isn't the end all but it's a recognized way to grade players. PFF had Castonzo in the top 100 players after 2014 then his down year he graded out at 79.4 which is down for him but still well above average. Then you are going on about scrimmage  3 being a dress rehearsal and in a perfect world yes it is but anyone who knows our roster saw the guys who wouldn't be playing and who we were starting I don't understand the surprise Cutting Castonzo is stupid nearly as stupid as saying his terrible play has continued to 2016 when he hasn't played in a real game This is what practice is for to prepare for show time I apologize for the lack of punctation I know it can make it difficult to read I'm in a hurry 

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is getting downright crazy now

as bad as some think the OL is, maybe cut them all and just add 2 more wr, a rb, a te, and a 2nd QB  ON THE FIELD:

lets see Belichek stop THAT!

sheesh

and you guys thought my "jeff george syndrome" post was nuts?  How do you like me now?

I'll take that thread over this one any day lol

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Not Cuttable BUT certainly Benchable if his below standard play continues. It has now crept into a 2nd consecutive season. Luck's well being is being jeopardized.

I wasn't aware the season had started.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Every player needs to be accountable and I don't think there's accountability on this team which is a big problem. Which is why Pagano is not a good coach he's to nice. He wants to be liked and that's not being a great leader these guys need a kick in the butt to get them angry and uncomfortable.

How many team practices have you been to?  How many meetings have you sat through?  How many pregame, halftime and postgame speeches have you had the chance to listen to? 

You literally have no idea if there is any validity at all to the bolded section. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

How many team practices have you been to?  How many meetings have you sat through?  How many pregame, halftime and postgame speeches have you had the chance to listen to? 

You literally have no idea if there is any validity at all to the bolded section. 

The validity is the performance on the field, which we can all see, and the results, especially against elite teams in the playoffs, have been subpar. We aren't that much less talented than NE or Pitt honestly, it's that we are getting outcoached. They beat us senseless when we play them, especially NE. I'm not sure what you want a lot of us to think. Even mediocre teams take us to the limit every week and beat us a good amount of the time. Our safety net of a weak AFC South is gone. We have new coordinators, but this year is going to be brutal, even with improvement, and there's been nothing to suggest there is any. I'm worried, tbh.

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The validity is the performance on the field,

No, it's not.  The performance on the field does not in any way validate the claims of Chuck being "too nice" or wanting to be liked more than wanting to lead.

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

No, it's not.  The performance on the field does not in any way validate the claims of Chuck being "too nice" or wanting to be liked more than wanting to lead.

It validates being a great leader or not and it's the only way we, the fans, can see how effective he is with the players. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It validates being a great leader or not and it's the only way we, the fans, can see how effective he is with the players. 

which is why it's stupid to make claims on how he is with the players behind closed doors.

Just now, Jason_S said:

which is why it's stupid to make claims on how he is with the players behind closed doors.

You must be mistaking me with someone else, that's why I said the validity is the performance on the field, since we don't know what he does behind closed doors. As fans, we can only judge him by the production on the field, which has been very inconsistent at best. You know we have trouble still vs Pitt and NE, mediocre teams give us lots of trouble, and we are very slow starters in games, usually scoring around 7-10 points in the first half and playing catch up to make it close in the 2nd half. That has to improve if we want to be contenders, and I question if Pagano has the ability to improve these things. I'm being perfectly reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You must be mistaking me with someone else, that's why I said the validity is the performance on the field, since we don't know what he does behind closed doors. As fans, we can only judge him by the production on the field, which has been very inconsistent at best. You know we have trouble still vs Pitt and NE, mediocre teams give us lots of trouble, and we are very slow starters in games, usually scoring around 7-10 points in the first half and playing catch up to make it close in the 2nd half. That has to improve if we want to be contenders, and I question if Pagano has the ability to improve these things. I'm being perfectly reasonable.

YOU responded to the post I made to that person where I questioned the validity of his statements.

8 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

YOU responded to the post I made to that person where I questioned the validity of his statements.

I only meant the part about being a great leader, nothing I wrote had anything to do with the nice guy part or anything like that. I thought when I said the team's performance on the field, it spelled that out. That's the only place I judge Pagano is by the team's performance on the field.