Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's 53 man roster projection

BlueShoe

Stephen Morris has earned a spot on this roster. It will be very hard, but I think we should keep all three.

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Josh Ferguson to the practice squad. We may need to call him up later. He might have more opportunities with us.

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Tevan Smith and MeKale McKay to the practice squad. We roll with 5 out of the gate. Bray and Rogers share return duties. 

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tough decision here between Coffman and Swoope. Coffman is certainly more polished, but we are invested in Swoope. The Mewhort injury makes it less likely that we keep four tight ends. I predict that Swoope barely squeaks it out, and will not be surprised either way.

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

This is a good looking group of potential. It's only potential right now though. I have all four drafted rookies making the final 53 man roster. Really no surprise there. Before the Mewhort injury, I would have predicted either Jonotthan Harrison or Hugh Thornton to not make the final 53. I think we keep 10 until Mewhort is cleared to play.

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

The defensive line will be more tough decisions. Jones doesn't count towards the final 53 until week 5. I say we keep 6 and reevaluate our options after week 4. 

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Curt Maggitt and Edwin Jackson might not make it to the practice squad. It's the way of the NFL. If we sign a veteran like Kruger then it could spell doom for Josh McNary.

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Good God! I just hope most of our defensive backs can heal quickly. I have us keeping 10. Clayton Geathers will not count against the 53 man roster until he is removed from the Non-Football Injury list. Right now I have Dezmen Southward slated to fill Geathers shoes, but I don't rule out us picking up a player who is cut from another team. There could be some real surprises here. I am sure the front office is not comfortable going into the season with things the way they currently are. I would not rule out a trade with future draft picks or even talking someone out of retirement. We are hurting really bad here. Jalil Brown is not safe at all.

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

We all knew who our 3 players on special teams would be as soon as we resigned Adam Vinatieri. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not bad

the only change I would/could make is at QB and RB or TE by eliminating Morris and adding either a 5th RB or 4th TE

Certainly a possibility. It's tough, because Morris has earned the right to be here. Injuries could be the reason why he loses this opportunity. I am gong to force the Colts front office to change my mind. Until then I am keeping him on my roster. :) 

19 minutes ago, Everyone said:

I'd rather keep Maggitt instead of a 3rd QB that won't contribute to anything.  If Luck goes down they aren't doing anything anyway. Just my near worthless two cents. Other than that it's a good mock.

it's tough because Maggitt is certainly getting noticed by other teams. Maybe we can find a way to slide Morris on the practice squad. If he plays well on Thursday then it becomes tougher.

It might not be a bad thing if Morris overtakes Tolzien. If we were to lose Andrew again then at least Morris gives us a fighting chance. He has some wheels, throws a good deep ball, and has some creativeness to his game. We had to dig deep into the pool and use a 4th and 5th string QB last season to win the last game. It will mostly depend on whether or not #12 has graduated away from needing a veteran QB presence. It was about this time in Peyton's career when we started bringing in younger QB's to hold the clipboard.

6 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

it's tough because Maggitt is certainly getting noticed by other teams. Maybe we can find a way to slide Morris on the practice squad. If he plays well on Thursday then it becomes tougher.

It might not be a bad thing if Morris overtakes Tolzien. If we were to lose Andrew again then at least Morris gives us a fighting chance. He has some wheels, throws a good deep ball, and has some creativeness to his game. We had to dig deep into the pool and use a 4th and 5th string QB last season to win the last game. It will mostly depend on whether or not #12 has graduated away from needing a veteran QB presence. It was about this time in Peyton's career when we started bringing in younger QB's to hold the clipboard.

I said before I'd rather have Morris as the backup simply because if he was forced to play, at least the games would be somewhat fun watch.  I've never been sold on Tolzien but he has had his good moments this preseason.

Nice roster creation. I would however agree with the ones saying lets go with 2 QB's and keep a player who plays. Maggitt would probably be the one I'd keep to try and develop. I may even be tempted to keep him over one of the often injured lb'ers we have. #98 won't be effective much longer, if we get a lot from him this season. Age is gonna just get him and it will be a big drop fast. Crossing fingers it's next year and not this one. 

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Stephen Morris has earned a spot on this roster. It will be very hard, but I think we should keep all three.

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Josh Ferguson to the practice squad. We may need to call him up later. He might have more opportunities with us.

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Tevan Smith and MeKale McKay to the practice squad. We roll with 5 out of the gate. Bray and Rogers share return duties. 

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tough decision here between Coffman and Swoope. Coffman is certainly more polished, but we are invested in Swoope. The Mewhort injury makes it less likely that we keep four tight ends. I predict that Swoope barely squeaks it out, and will not be surprised either way.

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

This is a good looking group of potential. It's only potential right now though. I have all four drafted rookies making the final 53 man roster. Really no surprise there. Before the Mewhort injury, I would have predicted either Jonotthan Harrison or Hugh Thornton to not make the final 53. I think we keep 10 until Mewhort is cleared to play.

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

The defensive line will be more tough decisions. Jones doesn't count towards the final 53 until week 5. I say we keep 6 and reevaluate our options after week 4. 

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Curt Maggitt and Edwin Jackson might not make it to the practice squad. It's the way of the NFL. If we sign a veteran like Kruger then it could spell doom for Josh McNary.

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Good God! I just hope most of our defensive backs can heal quickly. I have us keeping 10. Clayton Geathers will not count against the 53 man roster until he is removed from the Non-Football Injury list. Right now I have Dezmen Southward slated to fill Geathers shoes, but I don't rule out us picking up a player who is cut from another team. There could be some real surprises here. I am sure the front office is not comfortable going into the season with things the way they currently are. I would not rule out a trade with future draft picks or even talking someone out of retirement. We are hurting really bad here. Jalil Brown is not safe at all.

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

We all knew who our 3 players on special teams would be as soon as we resigned Adam Vinatieri. 

Nice break down! I cant see anything I disagree with as of now.

Great break down! But no way we keep 3 QB's on the roster. And although you are most likely correct I would rather cut McNary and keep E. Jackson at LB. Also with the way our OL is playing I like keeping Coffman at TE also. In the fact that he's a much better blocking TE.  Coffman obviously is not athletic as Swoope but he has great hands and seems to get open in the passing game also. 

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Did you forget about Okine or did you cut him?

This is well done. Like many others though I don't think we should keep a 3rd qb. Maggit has been the backup to Erik Walden all preseason if I'm not mistaken and has potential. Also I think Edwin Jackson should make it over McNary. I like McNary but I think Jackson has a higher ceiling. I'm good with Swoope as both Allen and Doyle are good blockers and Swoope is little more of the move TE. I'd like to see Teven Smith somehow make the team and I think Ferguson makes it as he is more of a change of pace back than the 3 current backups. 

12 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

I think they keep Mitchel over Brown.

20 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Great break down! But no way we keep 3 QB's on the roster. And although you are most likely correct I would rather cut McNary and keep E. Jackson at LB. Also with the way our OL is playing I like keeping Coffman at TE also. In the fact that he's a much better blocking TE.  Coffman obviously is not athletic as Swoope but he has great hands and seems to get open in the passing game also. 

Thank you. All good points and very possible.

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

You only have 52 players listed if you include Adam and Pat - 2. 10 DB's, 9 LB's, 6 D.Lineman, 10 O.Lineman, 3 TE's, 5 WR's, 4 RB's, 3 QB's. That is 52. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You only have 52 players listed if you include Adam and Pat - 2. 10 DB's, 9 LB's, 6 D.Lineman, 10 O.Lineman, 3 TE's, 5 WR's, 4 RB's, 3 QB's. That is 52. 

I am pretty sure I have 53.

25 on offense, 25 on defense, and 3 on special teams. 

You might be forgetting our long snapper, Matt Overton.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I am pretty sure it's 53.

25 on offense, 25 on defense, and 3 on special teams. 

You might be forgetting our long snapper, Matt Overton.

Matt Overton

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

First, this is as good as any right now.  However...

Morris is not making the final 53 with all the injuries they have.  No way can they carry a 3rd QB with all the guys who have injury issues.  He is likely head to the PS. 

Ridley is a long shot at best as well.  See the QB point above for why 4 RB's on the 53 is unlikely.  

Any attempt at a final 53 should include about 5 TBD spots because they will be adding other players who are cut elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I believe he would be including Overton as the LS who is not listed to get to 53

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Morris is not making the final 53 with all the injuries they have.  No way can they carry a 3rd QB with all the guys who have injury issues.  He is likely head to the PS. 

Ridley is a long shot at best as well.  See the QB point above for why 4 RB's on the 53 is unlikely.  

Any attempt at a final 53 should include about 5 TBD spots because they will be adding other players who are cut elsewhere.

Thanks. All good logical suggestions. Some of it I covered in the post. A lot of unknowns still.

Quarterbacks
1 12 Andrew Luck
2 16 Scott Tolzien
3 7 Stephen Morris

Running Backs
1 23 Frank Gore
2 33 Robert Turbin
3 28 Jordan Todman
4 35 Stevan Ridley

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton
2 10 Donte Moncrief
3 15 Phillip Dorsett
4 11 Quan Bray
5 3 Chester Rogers

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen
2 84 Jack Doyle
3 86 Erik Swoope

Offensive Linemen
1 74 Anthony Castonzo
2 78 Ryan Kelly
3 71 Denzelle Good
4 75 Jack Mewhort
5 76 Joe Reitz
6 69 Hugh Thornton
7 62 Le'Raven Clark
8 73 Joe Haeg
9 63 Austin Blythe
10 72 Jonotthan Harrison

Defensive Linemen
1 96 Henry Anderson
2 90 Kendall Langford
3 54 David Parry
4 94 Zach Kerr
5 91 Hassan Ridgeway
6 99 T.Y. McGill

Linebackers
1 98 Robert Mathis
2 52 D'Qwell Jackson
3 93 Erik Walden
4 58 Trent Cole
5 51 Sio Moore
6 56 Nate Irving
7 44 Antonio Morrison
8 50 Trevor Bates
9 57 Josh McNary

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

I thought we only carried 2 centers on the roster last year?  Wasn't it just Holmes and Harrison last year.  If we had a 3rd center I believe that was on the PS.  Do you think we are carrying 3 this year?  Notice you have Kelly, Blythe, and Harrison all making the roster.

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Blueshoe will probably come close to nailing this. I couldn't of Posted anything better at this point but we may not keep 3 QB's, so that is possible. I like Morris better than Tolzien for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought we only carried 2 centers on the roster last year?  Wasn't it just Holmes and Harrison last year.  If we had a 3rd center I believe that was on the PS.  Do you think we are carrying 3 this year?  Notice you have Kelly, Blythe, and Harrison all making the roster.

I have Harrison making it as a guard.

Only change I'd make is I think somehow Maggitt makes the roster. He's been good a rushing the passer and edge setting. Obviously when I say goo I don't mean starter level, but for a UDFA he's played well and shows future starter potential which is what the staff wants.

If Cromartie still has some juice left like some of us are thinking I believe our secondary is going to be pretty good. Can't wait for Vontae to get back.

Davis

Cromartie

P. Robinson

T. Mitchel

DJ Smith

D. Butler

That has potential to be a really solid group of DBs.

I really hope Ridley does enough to make the team.  I'd love to see a Trio of Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  My gut keeps telling me they'll stay with Todman though because he's got the system down packed and knows the playbook.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I really hope Ridley does enough to make the team.  I'd love to see a Trio of Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  My gut keeps telling me they'll stay with Todman though because he's got the system down packed and knows the playbook.

Well I believe Ridley will make it if he stays healthy. But honestly him and Todman both are not good. But as a 3rd back I guess one or the other will have to do!