• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Oh come on now, you know that's not true. :P

Some of the best OLBs in the NFL were DEs in common. Personally I'd say that more players make that transition than don't.

Given our history,  I'll just say we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that........

On 8/29/2016 at 9:14 PM, RockThatBlue said:

This. 

He would probably have had several more sacks than Cole if the Browns used him correctly.

He would get 10-12 with us....I almost guarantee it.

BTW, I like the way Edwin Jackson has played more than Bates.  Okine has been a monster at times. Maggitt may hit PS, and McNary has made almost every tackle when in the game.  I hate cuts!!!!  

16 hours ago, Gavin said:

For those complaining about Cole he only had 331 pass snaps last season and 536 total. For comparison Walden had 480 pass snaps last season alone.

That doesn't matter, 331 pass snaps is plenty and the fact is Cole didn't do much with his 331 pass snaps or his 536 total.  Cole was a terrible player for the Colts last year.

So far in the preseason though Cole has looked pretty good.  More like what I was expecting when the Colts signed him.

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

Geoff Schwartz had a solid year last year. I'd bring him in at Guard. He just turned 30 and had an 80.1 blocking grade last year by PFF. 82.6 run blocking/76.9 pass blocking.

Detroit did not release Schwartz because he's a good or even solid guard.  In the last two years he has had a broken toe, broken ankle and broken leg.  Chances are he's done in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That doesn't matter, 331 pass snaps is plenty and the fact is Cole didn't do much with his 331 pass snaps or his 536 total.  Cole was a terrible player for the Colts last year.

So far in the preseason though Cole has looked pretty good.  More like what I was expecting when the Colts signed him.

That's 24 a game average for a player that wasn't even a great pass rusher to begin with

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Pagano: pass rushers? Trent Cole doing well. Curt Maggitt interesting prospect. 'Piece of clay.'

How is it that Trent Cole is "doing well" as a pass rusher?

Has Cole even had one QB pressure the entire Pre-Season?

And to describe Maggitt as a "piece of clay" ???

Is he saying the guy is soft?

I'm pretty sure they said Adongo was a piece of clay too......not meaning he was soft, but like the could mold him into what they wanted. 

We know how that one worked out. :(

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm pretty sure they said Adongo was a piece of clay too......not meaning he was soft, but like the could mold him into what they wanted. 

So you're saying Maggitt is going to beat down a woman soon and have the police at his home?  Because that's what happened with Adongo.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Given our history,  I'll just say we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that........

You mean to tell me you got tired of an argument?  NCF I've seen some changes in you lately my friend....LOL  

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Pagano: pass rushers? Trent Cole doing well. Curt Maggitt interesting prospect. 'Piece of clay.'

How is it that Trent Cole is "doing well" as a pass rusher?

Has Cole even had one QB pressure the entire Pre-Season?

And to describe Maggitt as a "piece of clay" ???

Is he saying the guy is soft?

That word "Piece of Clay" to me is also code word for "Practice Squad" because that is where guys who are Clay like go to get molded into NFL ready football players.  I'm going to sit back and see what Chuck and the staff do.  If you look back some I've seen him use that same Clay terminology for Erik Swoope and we all know he was a practice squad player.

12 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I was leaving the off field stuff out of it. 

Yeah but that's why we never got to see the end of whatever he learned.  Plus Maggitt is not learning Football 101 from the ground up. He's been playing football for years now.   He's clay, but not the same type of clay as someone like Adongo.  Shouldn't take too much to get Curt going in the right direction.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

That word "Piece of Clay" to me is also code word for "Practice Squad" because that is where guys who are Clay like go to get molded into NFL ready football players.  I'm going to sit back and see what Chuck and the staff do.  If you look back some I've seen him use that same Clay terminology for Erik Swoope and we all know he was a practice squad player.

...With the clay comment,  I was only trying to be funny.

But I do think Maggitt does show a bit of potential. Had a good game in week 2 against Baltimore

Just now, krunk said:

Yeah but that's why we never got to see the end of whatever he learned.  Plus Maggitt is not learning Football 101 from the ground up. He's been playing football for years now.   He's clay, but not the same type of clay as someone like Adongo.  Shouldn't take too much to get Curt going in the right direction.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was simply mentioning the piece of clay comment. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

You mean to tell me you got tired of an argument?  NCF I've seen some changes in you lately my friend....LOL  

If I can go the whole year without getting into an argument, I'd be perfectly happy.

I'd like to knock heads much less than I have in the past.     

As the season arrives,  and people's passion goes sky high,  I'm sure I'll weaken and end up in a spat.

But I'm trying my best to avoid them.     Really.

But I do appreciate you taking notice of this.       So YOU'RE my witness!!!           :thmup:

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I can go the whole year without getting into an argument, I'd be perfectly happy.

As the season arrives,  and people's passion goes sky high,  I'm sure I'll weaken and end up in a spat.

But I do appreciate you taking notice of this.       So YOU'RE my witness!!!           :thmup:

I figured you'd get there at some point, but one thing I do like about you is when you see some nonsense you'll call out whoever.  Anybody can get it!!!  From the most informed posters on the forum to the least.

Just now, krunk said:

I figured you'd get there at some point, but one thing I do like about you is when you see some nonsense you'll call out whoever.  Anybody can get it!!!  

I'm sure I'll still try to call out the nonsense.      But once I do,  and someone comes back at me with MORE nonsense,   THEN WHAT?

How do I handle that?        This is where things get a little...........      tricky!

So,  (A)  I want to be a good poster,  and (B) I want to avoid as much trouble as I can.      Now.....   the question becomes.......      can I be BOTH?!?

I'm trying.......

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I realized a long time ago that there's other people on the forum who will eventually make my point for me.  If it sounds real stupid and I don't feel like arguing I just leave it alone because I know somebody else is going to address it and I just "Like" the post when they do it and keep it moving.   I'll argue every now and then if it's something I'm passionate about.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I realized a long time ago that there's other people on the forum who will eventually make my point for me.  If it sounds real stupid and I don't feel like arguing I just leave it alone because I know somebody else is going to address it and I just "Like" the post when they do it and keep it moving.   I'll argue every now and then if it's something I'm passionate about.

Winner!      Winner!    Chicken Dinner!!

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I'm perplexed. With the obvious ties he has to the members of our coaching staff I figured we would at least "kick the tires" as the newest Paganoism says.

We kicked the tires on, and signed, Ridley. But not Kruger.

It's definitely a bit awkward.

It is only awkward if the consensus wasn't that he was a product of his environment and supporting cast.

I'm perplexed. With the obvious ties he has to the members of our coaching staff I figured we would at least "kick the tires" as the newest Paganoism says.

We kicked the tires on, and signed, Ridley. But not Kruger.

It's definitely a bit awkward.

It is only awkward if the consensus wasn't that he was a product of his environment and supporting cast.

But that's still really kinda more than can be said of Ridley, especially when talking about his recent history.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  the guy was a 4-3 DE in college and most projected him as a 4-3 DE in the NFL.

We played him as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme.     That's not an easy transition.    Most players don't make it.   Most aren't even asked to try to convert.

Why do you think it was not ever the problem?      I think there was a good argument that it was at least PART of the problem.       But you think otherwise?    Why?

This is the obvious answer.....he just wasn't the right fit for this defense 

43 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

This is the obvious answer.....he just wasn't the right fit for this defense 

Or the equally obvious answer, he's just another in the long list of very good college players whose skills just didn't translate to the NFL

On 8/29/2016 at 6:23 PM, UKColt13 said:

I'm interested.

Although I'm concerned that his release from the Browns was down to performance. 

Yeah, you'd think if he had ANYTHING in the tank, they could/would have traded him for something, even a 7th or a punter to be named later...

On 8/31/2016 at 0:57 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I'll give you that I went too far in the opposite direction by saying more make the transition than don't, but I completely stand by the rest of my post.

On 8/31/2016 at 11:28 AM, krunk said:

The modern day version of 'biting your tongue'.

Mine's bleeding.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....      no worries.....

Thanks for the note....

Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, John Simon, Alex Okafor, Cory Lemonier, Sam Montgomery, Jadaveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Shane Ray, Whitney Mercilus, Eli Harold...that's a short list of guys just from the last few drafts that were DEs in college who were drafted to play OLB for a 3-4 team.

Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, Jerry Hughes, Tamba Hali, Aldon Smith were also college DEs.

10 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, John Simon, Alex Okafor, Cory Lemonier, Sam Montgomery, Jadaveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Shane Ray, Whitney Mercilus, Eli Harold...that's a short list of guys just from the last few drafts that were DEs in college who were drafted to play OLB for a 3-4 team.

Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, Jerry Hughes, Tamba Hali, Aldon Smith were also college DEs.

For whatever it's worth,  I don't see a lot of success stories out of that first group.    A small number.

The rest?     Not so much.

The 2nd group has a better argument.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth,  I don't see a lot of success stories out of that first group.    A small number.

The rest?     Not so much.

The 2nd group has a better argument.

A couple of those players are behind all pros (Shane Ray. Dee Ford). All are physically gifted enough to play OLB. As a matter of fact they all have or have had there hand in the dirt/turf a significant amount of time to in the NFL with the exception of those that have not played much

On 8/31/2016 at 8:55 AM, lollygagger8 said:

They molded him into a ball and rolled him back to Kenya.