Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Texans: Has anyone else been following them this year?

JPFolks

I watched the Texans play the Cardinals and was really impressed with Osweiler and their receivers.  In addition, their Defense looked really sharp as well.  I said last year that the Texans were only a solid or better QB away from being a dominant team in our division and the NFL and though it is of course only preseason, it sure appears they may have found the guy.  His ball placement was really good especially on long passes.  I wondered if anyone here was following them closely?  I think we've gone from the worst division in the NFL to one of the best.  4 good to great young QB's, lots of receivers and rb's with talent and previous success and some defenses that could be dominant as well.  Of course a lot of it is simply due to 5+ years of high draft picks across the teams now maturing.  Luck and the Colts have their work cut out for them. 

Anyone else have thoughts? 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

I watched the Texans play the Cardinals and was really impressed with Osweiler and their receivers.  In addition, their Defense looked really sharp as well.  I said last year that the Texans were only a solid or better QB away from being a dominant team in our division and the NFL and though it is of course only preseason, it sure appears they may have found the guy.  His ball placement was really good especially on long passes.  I wondered if anyone here was following them closely?  I think we've gone from the worst division in the NFL to one of the best.  4 good to great young QB's, lots of receivers and rb's with talent and previous success and some defenses that could be dominant as well.  Of course a lot of it is simply due to 5+ years of high draft picks across the teams now maturing.  Luck and the Colts have their work cut out for them. 

Anybody can look good when nobody is game planning for you I still don't think he is that good.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

Anybody can look good when nobody is game planning for you I still don't think he is that good.

Game planning doesn't make one on one coverage any tighter and either you can place the ball or not.  You can argue pressure versus no pressure in terms of game planning, but making really good throws when under pressure and putting the ball where only you're guy can get it is a universally good measure of throwing talent and he demonstrated that.  

Have you been watching them all preseason?  Has he shown skills or not?  I mean plenty of people say ad nauseam that preseason means nothing, so I will put you in that camp.  But plenty of people can't even handle these opportunities without being game planned against (and Game 3 there IS game planning compared to games 1, 2 and 4).  

So has anyone watched them closely to see how Osweiler has performed so far? I think James has covered the Preseason is meaningless contingency.   

I watched some of Texans/Cards game. And yeah Osweiller looked good. They look like they will be tough to beat for division. Solid, well coached team.

I also seen some of Jags/Bengals game. Jags did not look good, in fact I asked myself "is pagano coaching the jags"? Lol. They had penalties and their Defense was shredded by Bengals, who are a very talented team.

I've also watched highlights of Titans games. Henry & Murray what a 1-2 punch! Looks like that is a top running game AND with Mariota in 2nd season their offense should be fun to watch.

I have them projected out at 9-7 just like they went last year. I don't see them beating us here again as long as Luck is healthy but they will still manage to go 9-7 IMO. Regarding Oz, he has to prove it to me in the Regular Season for 4 or 5 weeks before I will buy into him being on the Good level. He is an upgrade over their QB's from last season but as of now I only see it as a slight upgrade. I just don't put much stock into the Pre-season, never have. That may be because we have usually always stunk in the Pre-season but then have been Good to Great in every Regular Season except 3 seasons (2001, 2011, 2015) dating back to 1999. I have seen a lot of teams dominate in the Pre-season in my time and then stink in the Regular Season as well. The Lions went 4-0 in the Pre-season in 2008 and then went 0-16. The Texans also have to worry about Watt's health throughout the season. A back is nothing to mess around with and once you have a bad back or back surgery it makes you more prone to injuries. Just ask Tony Romo. Like I said I have them at 9-7 if Watt can stay healthy, I still have us 10-6 if Luck can stay healthy, the Jags at 8-8, and the Titans at 6-10. Nothing has changed my mind as Pre-season winds down.

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Game planning doesn't make one on one coverage any tighter and either you can place the ball or not.  You can argue pressure versus no pressure in terms of game planning, but making really good throws when under pressure and putting the ball where only you're guy can get it is a universally good measure of throwing talent and he demonstrated that.  

Have you been watching them all preseason?  Has he shown skills or not?  I mean plenty of people say ad nauseam that preseason means nothing, so I will put you in that camp.  But plenty of people can't even handle these opportunities without being game planned against (and Game 3 there IS game planning compared to games 1, 2 and 4).  

So has anyone watched them closely to see how Osweiler has performed so far? I think James has covered the Preseason is meaningless contingency.   

Some talent but he isn't the next big thing like Texans fans think he is.

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It is meaningless you can have a perfect preseason and go out and be the worst team in the league look at the 2008 Lions went 4-0 in preseason everybody thought that team was going to be really good 0-16 regular season worst team in football.

Osweiler is looking very solid and poised. Will Fuller seems to be the real deal with his speed. It is not a Hopkins one-man show anymore.

However, their schedule with road games at Patriots, at Vikings, at Packers and at Broncos (all playoff teams) can be a tad more tougher than ours. I do expect them to win the division if our defensive injuries puts us in a hole early on though, IMO. The more we win with house money at the beginning of the season will determine whether we can win/compete for the division title or not.

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I've thought that they always have looked good in the preseason under Obrien.  Regular season doesn't always turn out the same way.   I have always felt Osweiler would be a competent QB though.  Saw what you saw on the defense.

31 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

It is meaningless you can have a perfect preseason and go out and be the worst team in the league look at the 2008 Lions went 4-0 in preseason everybody thought that team was going to be really good 0-16 regular season worst team in football.

The scores are meaningless of course as the first team never plays the entire game.  But when first teams ARE out there, it's legitimate ball play.  Vanilla? Maybe.  But they hit hard, tackle hard, block hard, sack hard, cover just as hard in man to man etc.  So you watch those matchups to see if someone has talent.  Plenty of QB's looked worse than him.  Some looked better but not many.  The Texans have started 7 QB's in the past few seasons and he will be #8.  I think if he's solid, they're going to be a serious team certainly capable of beating us and winning the division.  

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Osweiler is looking very solid and poised. Will Fuller seems to be the real deal with his speed. It is not a Hopkins one-man show anymore.

However, their schedule with road games at Patriots, at Vikings, at Packers and at Broncos (all playoff teams) can be a tad more tougher than ours. I do expect them to win the division if our defensive injuries puts us in a hole early on though, IMO. The more we win with house money at the beginning of the season will determine whether we can win/compete for the division title or not.

Well., we have 3 of those 4 same games AND we have Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh versus them having New England at New England WITHOUT Brady.  I'd take that game over ours against Pittsburgh when they will have all their suspended players back (but the guy out for the season).  To me, they are the favorites in the AFC, with NE being second or worse if they get off to a bad start.  Garoppolo hasn't looked great.  

How is it preseason when for two quarters your starters are playing?  Based strictly on the first three preseason games the Texans will beat the Colts, the Jags and the Titans this year simply because they are better in talent and coaching. Osweiller was 11 for 13 with two perfectly thrown balls dropped. Solid D will contribute heavily and barring injuries they will get better as the season progresses The Texans HC is a winner and has built a contender. They played inspired ball against the Cardinals, a team that many say will be in the Super Bowl when both team had their starters in even though Carson went out when he got his bell rang but recall what Carson did against the Panthers last year in the NFC playoff game.

22 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well., we have 3 of those 4 same games AND we have Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh versus them having New England at New England WITHOUT Brady.  I'd take that game over ours against Pittsburgh when they will have all their suspended players back (but the guy out for the season).  To me, they are the favorites in the AFC, with NE being second or worse if they get off to a bad start.  Garoppolo hasn't looked great.  

If Osweiler beats the Pats in NE without Brady, yeah, it would be such a psychological boost for the Texans. I agree.

We have Pittsburgh here at home later in the season a couple of weeks after the bye week on SNF. Our D will be rested as well. Yes, we have struggled vs Pitt. but then, we have a puncher's chance at home. If not for the fake punt play, the 34-27 loss to the Pats at home last year may have been different. When healthy, at home, we have a better chance than you may think against the best in the AFC. Look at our history vs the Bengals, Broncos and Ravens at home. We just need to take one more BIG step towards playing a close game vs the Steelers and Pats at home.

That is why they play the game. Don't get me wrong, I am apprehensive about our chances to win the division but eventually, our head-to-head games vs the Texans will be the most critical ones when it is all said and done just like last year.

We play the Steelers at home

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I have both the Texans and the Titans projected to be 10-6.  I was really trying not to say anything and hoping nobody else would. Once you speak it, it becomes real, and nobody wants a good Texans team.

I have Texans at 9-7 which we both almost agree. Curious to know why you think the Titans will be 10-6. They were terrible last season.

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Brock looked decidedly average last season, he even got benched. Now, all of a sudden he's Joe Montana after a score of preseason snaps. Call me Mr Tibbs, but I'm not shaking in my boots just yet.

He's better than Hoyer, Mallett, and Weeden haha so Texans fans are celebrating already because being slightly better than those 3 will bring in plenty of Rings.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Texans at 9-7 which we both almost agree. Curious to know why you think the Titans will be 10-6. They were terrible last season.

They have significantly increased their run game, and we know what D. Murray can do with open lanes. Plus you wait and see what Derrick Henry is going to do. Their receiving corp is plenty capable with mariota at the helm and how he can extend plays. They also increased their defense and have decent depth. Top it off, their strength of schedule is already weak, and that isn't taking into account the severely weakened broncos. There is 9 to 10 wins there that they are capable of pulling off. Will the execute that way remains to be seen.

6 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

They have significantly increased their run game, and we know what D. Murray can do with open lanes. Plus you wait and see what Derrick Henry is going to do. Their receiving corp is plenty capable with mariota at the helm and how he can extend plays. They also increased their defense and have decent depth. Top it off, their strength of schedule is already weak, and that isn't taking into account the severely weakened broncos. There is 9 to 10 wins there that they are capable of pulling off. Will the execute that way remains to be seen.

That is a nice bold prediction saying they will go 10-6. If you are right I will praise that prediction. You never know from year to year what can happen actually but I see them finishing last in the Division at 6-10. 6-10 would be a 3 game improvement for them which is significant in itself.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a nice bold prediction saying they will go 10-6. If you are right I will praise that prediction. You never know from year to year what can happen actually but I see them finishing last in the Division at 6-10. 6-10 would be a 4 game improvement for them which significant in itself.

I think my boldest prediction is that the Raiders will win the division at 10-6 and the Broncos won't get past 6 wins.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

I think my boldest prediction is that the Raiders will win the division at 10-6 and the Broncos won't get past 6 wins.

I edited my Post, Titans winning 6 would be a 3 game improvement actually which is still decent progress. I have the Raiders making the Playoffs but Chiefs winning the Division. I am high on the Raiders as well.

The scores are meaningless of course as the first team never plays the entire game.  But when first teams ARE out there, it's legitimate ball play.  Vanilla? Maybe.  But they hit hard, tackle hard, block hard, sack hard, cover just as hard in man to man etc.  So you watch those matchups to see if someone has talent.  Plenty of QB's looked worse than him.  Some looked better but not many.  The Texans have started 7 QB's in the past few seasons and he will be #8.  I think if he's solid, they're going to be a serious team certainly capable of beating us and winning the division.  

Games still need to be played big bro.  I remember when the Texans offense was on a tear when Shaub was the QB and their defense was sacking everything that moved under the guidance of Wade Phillips.  Some of it is kind of similar to what they've got going on now.  I remember they brought Devier Posey(kind of similar to the role they want for Braxton miller), Keyshawn Martin(to stretch the field a la Will Fuller) and whoever that other guy was they brought in.  They were all brought in with the design of helping out Andre Johnson from double teams.  Same way they are now trying to help out Deandre Hopkins.  Their running back was better than what they've got now as they had a healthy Arian Foster.   We won 1 out 2 in that matchup and our personnel was way worse across the board just about.  The one game that they did win wasn't even a blow out.  We battled all the way down into the 4th quarter.  I think we'll be alright against them, gotta play a little bit better than what we've been doing but I think we've got a very good shot at the W.  The competiton is not our problem.  We get in our own way and that's what needs to be cleaned up.

6 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Sadly we can't, when anyone says the colts look crappy the reply is always "it's only preseason, and when any one says somebody else looks good it's the same reply...I'm not saying he's great, only that the hole any one can look good theory isn't really true because game plan or not we almost never look good in the preseason 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's better than Hoyer, Mallett, and Weeden haha so Texans fans are celebrating already because being slightly better than those 3 will bring in plenty of Rings.

Come on. The ignorance in this thread is real. You guys get happy about your players when they do well in preseason (though we all know the Colts haven't done well at all so far...) but Texans fans can't get excited when we do well against the Cardinals? Sounds like sour grapes. I like all this "on paper" talk but the mighty Colts who will be 12-4 or 13-3 haven't proven anything since last season either. 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I have both the Texans and the Titans projected to be 10-6.  I was really trying not to say anything and hoping nobody else would. Once you speak it, it becomes real, and nobody wants a good Texans team.

I do :) 

47 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Come on. The ignorance in this thread is real. You guys get happy about your players when they do well in preseason (though we all know the Colts haven't done well at all so far...) but Texans fans can't get excited when we do well against the Cardinals? Sounds like sour grapes. I like all this "on paper" talk but the mighty Colts who will be 12-4 or 13-3 haven't proven anything since last season either. 

My Post was basically in a sarcastic mode state because it seems several people want to bury the Colts because of meaningless games played in Pre-season and people want to crown the Texans and Jags because they have played well. I am the last person on earth that has sour grapes as my team has been arguably the 2nd best franchise over the last 10 seasons = 2006-2015 which is even recent history. I have no problem with Texans fans being excited with the potential of what Oz may bring but from some of the Posts I have been reading in here and over at ESPN people are already labeling Oz and Texans SB contenders. Lets see how the first month of the season goes? I fully expect the Texans will beat the Bears and we will beat the Lions, after that it gets dicey. The Jags hype is even more ridiculous, they have proven nothing with 0 Division Titles since the South was created and 5-11 last season. I picked the Colts to go 10-6 not 12-4 or 13-3 either. I don't go outside and run around the neighborhood in enjoyment because my QB has a great game in the 3rd Pre-season game (sarcasm on that last sentence).

29 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

It is a Colts forum so I don't know what else you'd really expect.  

I haven't watched the Texans a lot this preseason but from the Cards game and the little bit I've seen, they seem to be the same team as last year with a better QB and they were a pretty good team last year... one that looks like it's on the verge of making that jump up..  Which to me, means at least 2 more wins and possibly as many of 4.

But really, to expect realism from the bulk of a fan base on an opposing team's forum is a bit much and you've been on this forum long enough to know better.  Just like when I go to other team's forums 90% of the posters are over the top fan boys who seem to have a tenuous grasp on reality when it comes to their favorite team.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Post was basically in a sarcastic mode state because it seems several people want to bury the Colts because of meaningless games played in Pre-season and people want to crown the Texans and Jags because they have played well. I am the last person on earth that has sour grapes as my team has been arguably the 2nd best franchise over the last 10 seasons = 2006-2015 which is even recent history. I have no problem with Texans fans being excited with the potential of what Oz may bring but from some of the Posts I have been reading in here and over at ESPN people are already labeling Oz and Texans SB contenders. Lets see how the first month of the season goes? I fully expect the Texans will beat the Bears and we will beat the Lions, after that it gets dicey. The Jags hype is even more ridiculous, they have proven nothing with 0 Division Titles since the South was created and 5-11 last season. I picked the Colts to go 10-6 not 12-4 or 13-3 either. I don't go outside and run around the neighborhood in enjoyment because my QB has a great game in the 3rd Pre-season game (sarcasm on that last sentence).

Whoa now. When I said sour grapes I was referring to the sentiment of the cynical, unrealistic posters around here, not your post. I know you guys enjoyed being the hot team that was talked about when you made additions last year and I think you see how annoying that is now, when your team isn't the one being hyped up. I think the Steelers and Seahawks would argue with you about the past ten years of success though. It's going to be a very competitive season, Jaguars included. The past doesn't mean a thing going forward. The way the Titans have looked, I don't think I would even exclude them from trying to make noise this season. 

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I haven't watched the Texans a lot this preseason but from the Cards game and the little bit I've seen, they seem to be the same team as last year with a better QB and they were a pretty good team last year... one that looks like it's on the verge of making that jump up..  Which to me, means at least 2 more wins and possibly as many of 4.

But really, to expect realism from the bulk of a fan base on an opposing team's forum is a bit much and you've been on this forum long enough to know better.  Just like when I go to other team's forums 90% of the posters are over the top fan boys who seem to have a tenuous grasp on reality when it comes to their favorite team.

You're right. I have been here long enough to know better. That's why you haven't seen me post much the past few months. You know I have to chime in every once in a while though, to give a few people a reality check. I'm not really irritated or angry because of course this is a Colts forum. I still expect at least a certain degree of logic or consistency here. 

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Brock looked decidedly average last season, he even got benched. Now, all of a sudden he's Joe Montana after a score of preseason snaps. Call me Mr Tibbs, but I'm not shaking in my boots just yet.

The thing is Oz doesn't have to be Joe Montana. Texans won the division  last year despite getting qb's off the street to play. They added lots of speed to the wr & rb position to go along with stud Hopkins. Solidified the qb position with Oz and have a very good defense and head coach.

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know about some others but with me being a fanboy has nothing to do with the way I predict or project players and teams. I just see the Texans as a 9-7 team which isn't even a dis, that may win the Division again but I do have Colts 10-6 based on what Luck has done in previous years with some of the Rosters we have had which is very possible. I picked the Broncos to win the SB last season. If I were a biased fan I would pick the Colts to go 12-4 every season at worse and pick us for the SB but I am realistic with my picks.

13 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Whoa now. When I said sour grapes I was referring to the sentiment of the cynical, unrealistic posters around here, not your post. I know you guys enjoyed being the hot team that was talked about when you made additions last year and I think you see how annoying that is now, when your team isn't the one being hyped up. I think the Steelers and Seahawks would argue with you about the past ten years of success though. It's going to be a very competitive season, Jaguars included. The past doesn't mean a thing going forward.

If you go by the last 10 seasons only the Giants have won more SB's but the Giants aren't even close regarding overall wins. 2006-2015 as I just brought up the last decade (recent history) because I am not one of those fans that points out we won in 1970.

I even had to edit because the mighty Patriots only have won 1 SB in the last 10 seasons.