Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

talent level

OLD FAN MAN

LT-Average Pass Blocker, Below average run blocker

LG-Good Pass Blocker. Average Run Blocker

C-To be determined

RG-Below average pass blocker, Average run blocker

RT-Above average Pass Blocker. Below average run blocker

I rank these on year to year and not overall because a player can have a good year 1 year and come right around the next year and have a down year

The way you rate the O-Line, it appears other teams are salivating to pad up their sack totals.  Rightfully so, we simply are a * poor team lately, we are not very good.  Luck needs to invest on some of his money to get protective gear so he won't be like a punching bag machine...Another bad year, so what's new year right?

We need to take a page out of the Patriots notebook.  Their line was very average last year, yet the offense put up great numbers.  If your offensive line has trouble pass blocking and can't run block, you need to turn the short passing game into your running game.  Short, quick drops and dump it off or throw darts on quick slants.  Patriots kill teams doing that.  We did beat the Broncos with less talent on offensive line last year so I'm still hopeful Chud will game plan better against good defensive teams like the Eagles during the regular season.

4 hours ago, bigt said:

We need to take a page out of the Patriots notebook.  Their line was very average last year, yet the offense put up great numbers.  If your offensive line has trouble pass blocking and can't run block, you need to turn the short passing game into your running game.  Short, quick drops and dump it off or throw darts on quick slants.  Patriots kill teams doing that.  We did beat the Broncos with less talent on offensive line last year so I'm still hopeful Chud will game plan better against good defensive teams like the Eagles during the regular season.

Great idea except for 2 problems.  Our 3 projected starting WRs have trouble getting open under 20 yrds and Luck has problems throwing quick slants.

31 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Great idea except for 2 problems.  Our 3 projected starting WRs have trouble getting open under 20 yrds and Luck has problems throwing quick slants.

Throw in we have can't seem to run a screen of any description at all and it's no wonder teams can reduce our passing game to being one dimensional fairly quickly. They know they can pressure with impunity almost and sure they might get hurt deep now and then but it's a fair trade off.  

52 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

And in walks chud.... I think pep was allergic to short throws. The pre season with luck he's already showed more of a west coast style vs the vertical. And luck doesn't have a problem throwing quick slants or even drags for that matter they were never called during a good time previously

6 hours ago, bigt said:

Chud wasn't going to open up the playbook in a meaningless pre-season game. I wouldn't get discouraged over the vanilla calls this past Saturday. That was to be expected.

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would say:

left tackle - average

left guard - average

center - TBD

right guard - below average

right tackle - below average

That sounds about right. Hopefully Kelly has a Good rookie season so that offsets some of our weaknesses. Having a Center that is on the Good level makes a huge difference. It did for Peyton with Saturday.

10 hours ago, THE FUTURE IS NOW said:

rate the talent level of our o-line positions as below average , average or above average

left tackle

left guard

center

right guard

right tackle

LT - Average

LG - Above Average

C - Above Average

RG - Below Average

RT - Average

2 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Fish hit the nail on the head with this one. Luck does not have any issue with short throws. He had a couple poor throws last year when he was all kinds of banged up. Plus, that offense looked deep on 9 out of 10 throws. In 2 pre-season games this year, Luck was 21/26 (81%) with very subpar blocking and short routes scattered throughout. You don't complete 80%+ of your passes without having solid accuracy and having receivers that can break off their man quickly.

On a side note, I watched the Browns game against the Bucs last weekend. That offense is absolutely nauseating. People are going to be shocked at how much better Luck looks over the course of a season without Pep making the calls.

3 hours ago, BCoop said:

Luck does not have any issue with short throws.

historically, yeah he kinda has.  He often throws short routes either high or behind.  So far this preseason though it appears he's improved quite a bit in that area.  The other area he's struggled is with timing routes...throwing a receiver open rather than throwing the ball once the receiver has gotten open.  This also is something he appears to have improved on.

6 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

historically, yeah he kinda has.  He often throws short routes either high or behind.  So far this preseason though it appears he's improved quite a bit in that area.  The other area he's struggled is with timing routes...throwing a receiver open rather than throwing the ball once the receiver has gotten open.  This also is something he appears to have improved on.

I would argue those plays were more a product of poor coaching than they were Andrew. I interpreted Gacker's original post as he didn't feel Luck was capable of making the short throws. We know he can. We saw it at Stanford, early in his career, and so far this pre-season. It really just comes down to the coaches putting him in the right position to make plays.

18 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I would argue those plays were more a product of poor coaching than they were Andrew. I interpreted Gacker's original post as he didn't feel Luck was capable of making the short throws. We know he can. We saw it at Stanford, early in his career, and so far this pre-season. It really just comes down to the coaches putting him in the right position to make plays.

And I would argue that I saw the same things when he played at Stanford. 

LT - Average - Castonzo got paid the big bucks last season to be Luck's rock on the line. He hasn't performed quite up to par since. Rank Among Starting LT's: 18/32

LG - Above Average - Mewhort really broke out last season, grading very well in the passing department while also up there in run blocking. Rank Among Starting LG's: 10/32

C - TBD - I would predict that Kelly will be above average. Predicted Rank Next Season Among Starters: 8/32

RG - Below Average - Wether Good or Thornton starts, the position will be below average. Rank Among Starting RG's: 20/32 

RT - Average - Reitz isn't the best, but he isn't the worst. He is the epitome of Average on the Colt's O-line. Rank Among Starting RT's: 16/32