Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Stevan Ridley

PrincetonTiger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is putting a bandaid on a compound fracture? We have plenty of quality running backs but our O line cannot create holes.

Makes you wonder how Irsay will feel about retaining our coach and GM should we have another lackluster running game or God forbid or if Luck has another major injury

This tells me that its very likely neither Josh Ferguson nor Trey Williams will make the team. Maybe one of them (or both) will be kept on the practice squad. 

Running Backs        
1 23 Frank Gore RB Miami (FL) 5'9" 217
2 33 Robert Turbin RB Utah State 5'10" 222
3 28 Jordan Todman RB Connecticut 5'9" 203
4   Stevan Ridley RB LSU 5'11" 220

I know I will get killed for this but I say give Ray Rice another chance. What he did was wrong, but you got to give the guy a chance to redeem himself. There have been other players who did this much and much worse, who have, and still do play in the NFL. Give him league min. Low risk high reward.  He has even pledged to give every game check to domestic violence programs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/07/21/ray-rice-domestic-violence-baltimore-ravens/87380652/

Typical.

irsay and Grigs get bashed for doing nothing or bringing in people.

they just can't win with some of these "fans".

its embarrasing really:

calm down.  Unless one is deaf, dumb, and blind, they should clearly see the organization is make ng the effort to improve.

its funny, billy boy brings in a player and he's a genius.  If Grigs brings in the SAME PLAYER, some "fans" would be calling for his head.

it must reasly suck to live in that negative world.

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Incoming comments about the Oline

After watching the O-line have nothing but problems with the Eagles & 12 getting hammered & rushed signing a RB just does'nt seem all that important we need to straighten the O-line out in the next 15 days something that we have all waited & hoped for the entire off season just has not materialized & AC seems to be lost  & 75 is down with injury , The O-line IMO is & has always been our achilles heal , I'm not hitting the panic button but unless Ridley is the answer to our biggest problem & he is'nt then his signing does nothing to improve the Colts .

37 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

Ridley has not looked the same since the torn ACL. Even in Detroit this pre season. At this point I would be more excited to bring Donald Brown back. And im not a Donald Brown fan. 

Yeah I'd rather have Donald too . Duck that is he's better than Brown ...

Image result for pics of donald duck playing football

32 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

After watching the O-line have nothing but problems with the Eagles & 12 getting hammered & rushed signing a RB just does'nt seem all that important we need to straighten the O-line out in the next 15 days something that we have all waited & hoped for the entire off season just has not materialized & AC seems to be lost  & 75 is down with injury , The O-line IMO is & has always been our achilles heal , I'm not hitting the panic button but unless Ridley is the answer to our biggest problem & he is'nt then his signing does nothing to improve the Colts .

Agreed. I think (and hope) that it takes time for any OL to gel, especially when some are rookies .  AdditionalLY, Kelly , as the  "playcaller" of the OL, needs time to get to know his fellow OLmen.  I remember Jeff Saturday wasn't an all-pro from day 1.

i dont think it will all be fixed in 15 days either.  But then, i didn't  expect the OL  problems to be solved by week 1 anyway, even without any injuries.  Why would i.  The OL is perhaps the unit that requires the most time to come together. And with the limited practices and lack of real hitting in practice (thanks NFLPA), the OL , especially with new faces, is probably the group affected the most.  OLs practicing at anything less than full-speed is almost a waste of time.

i dont think Ridley is the answer to our problems either, but if he is better than the guy he replaces, we are still better as a team.  Bad OL or not.

fixing the OL is a process.  If it was easily done, there would be 32 all-pro RBs in the league.

we also played some pretty stout and deep  DLs in the Bills, eagles, and Ravens.  Im gonna give the OL half a season OF REAL GAMES before i make any judgement.

I figured we'd go ahead and sign Ridley.  Better to have a veteran who knows blitz pick up and some of the other nuances of NFL football.  Good runner between the tackles and outside the tackles.  Haven't seen him run lately, but even in trying to come back from the ACL tear of 2014 he's still a better option than Ferguson and Williams anyway.  As long as he has cleaned up his fumbling of course.   I think that's a good trio between Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  

2 hours ago, chad hugo said:

People will mention that he had a 1200 yds, 12 TD season in 2012 but that could have been the belichick system 

Haven't seen too many people get a 1,000 yards rushing in that Bellichick system.  Ridley and maybe Corey Dillon once 12 years ago. 

Somebody probably would have gone and bombed Grigsons house(just kidding here) if he would have actually used that 4th round pick on Ferguson like they claim they considered.  I think he has some talent, but he went UDFA because he was supposed to. LOL!

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd keep Ridley over Turbin tbh. Turbin has looked terrible. And don't try and give me that "It's preseason or it's the OL" crap either. I'm tired of making excuses for mediocre players, which Ridley is but not as much as Turbin.

Turbin actually looked good yesterday. I'd keep him over anybody other than Gore.

I'd keep Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  Chud typically uses 3 runners or more in his scheme that perform different roles.  I see nothing wrong with Turbin for the power RB role.  Plus he's versatile enough to play fullback, great for short down and distance, blocks well and has pretty decent speed as we saw on his long TD run that got called back because of Dorsetts holding penalty. Ridley you would use for the other pass catching running back role, but he can certainly do more than that.  Ridley honestly can play the role of the lead running back if you need him to.  At least that was the case before he tore his ACL.  Haven't seen him run recently though so I have a few questions.  I'm fine with those 3.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Haven't seen too many people get a 1,000 yards rushing in that Bellichick system.  Ridley and maybe Corey Dillon once 12 years ago. 

I like the Ridley signing if he can get back close to his preinjury form. He will be the RB2 on the roster. We won't lose much when he relieves Gore.

He had a 2000+ yards combined 2012-2013 prior to the ACL injury in 2014. He had the talent to be an every down back in the league and is just 27 with low miles. It's been 2yrs since the injury if he's not the same we cut him no big loss. It looks like a low risk signing to me. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd keep Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  Chud typically uses 3 runners or more in his scheme that perform different roles.  I see nothing wrong with Turbin for the power RB role.  Plus he's versatile enough to play fullback, great for short down and distance, blocks well and has pretty decent speed as we saw on his long TD run that got called back because of Dorsetts holding penalty. Ridley you would use for the other pass catching running back role, but he can certainly do more than that.  Ridley honestly can play the role of the lead running back if you need him to.  At least that was the case before he tore his ACL.  Haven't seen him run recently though so I have a few questions.  I'm fine with those 3.

I like Gore and Turbin and I could be okay with Ridley but I am hoping for a better option after final cuts.

Hey I feel much more comfortable with him than I would have with Ferguson or Williams.  I like both of them, but we need veterans in each one of our first 3 running back roles.  Especially as we are slowly getting things together with the line. Now we have 3 guys who can block between Gore, Turbin, and Ridley.  As well as what they can do as runners. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I like Gore and Turbin and I could be okay with Ridley but I am hoping for a better option after final cuts.

Does nobody remember this kid out of LSU? He had the skill to be an every down back prior to his injury. He was the workhorse back in NE in 2012-2013. 

The fumbling thing happened in the playoffs he took a hit that concussed him ball came free. IMO Lil Billy got in his head pulling him quickly and he began to think to much.  Ball security had never been a problem prior to that. 

Ridley is bruising running back effective between the tackles. He is a no nonsense runner that explodes through the holes and is very difficult to take down in the open field. The kid can play if the knee is good he's our RB2 and If Gore is slowing down could challenge for RB1. He's shown to be a much better back than Turbin when healthy. It would be nice to keep Trey as our 3rd back too. 

30 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Does nobody remember this kid out of LSU? He had the skill to be an every down back prior to his injury. He was the workhorse back in NE in 2012-2013. 

The fumbling thing happened in the playoffs he took a hit that concussed him ball came free. IMO Lil Billy got in his head pulling him quickly and he began to think to much.  Ball security had never been a problem prior to that. 

Ridley is bruising running back effective between the tackles. He is a no nonsense runner that explodes through the holes and is very difficult to take down in the open field. The kid can play if the knee is good he's our RB2 and If Gore is slowing down could challenge for RB1. He's shown to be a much better back than Turbin when healthy. It would be nice to keep Trey as our 3rd back too. 

I have watched him play this year, and he is averaging 3 yards a carry.