Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson has had FIVE years to build an O-line

Pacergeek

And the offensive line is still atrocious. How many years are we gonna give this Grigson to fix this issue? They can't block on 3rd and 1, or pass protect on 3rd and 1. Not being able to get a first down in these situations is unacceptable. Grigson is trusting the health of our franchise QB with bums, and Pagano doesn't feel the need to scold his players for not being able to block for one second. We will not be SB contenders with these weak and inept leaders. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players are hurt and have been in the past. There have been some bad lineman in the past for sure, but it's not Grigsons fault Constonzo was hurt last year, Donald Thomas couldn't stay healthy, or that Mewhort is hurt. 

Like corgi said, he's tried.  Some will not be happy with his efforts, but it's not like he's neglected the OL.  Castonzo is good, he drafted Mewhort (can't predict injuries), tried several guys at C including Satele, Holmes, and Harrison before drafting Kelly, RG has been a problem but he's also tried guys like Herremans (who I thought would be a good player for us) and Donald Thomas (who I thought would be good as well), and we have Reitz and Good at RT.  Not only that, but he brought in a handful of guys with this year's draft.  Building an OL, or a team for that matter, isn't as simple as just bringing guys in.  Tons of things factor into it, like injuries, system fits, coaching fits, etc.

I wanted a change at head coach, but can understand why Chuck was retained.  He's a good enough leader, the players like him and Belichicks don't grow on trees.

How Grigson still has job, I have no idea.  Five years into this process, if this team is any better than it was in 2012, I don't see it.  It might be worse.  Give me the 2012 squad with a healthy borderline HOFer like Wayne and an actual pass rush with a healthy Mathis.  To date, two of Grigson"s 4-5 best moves were re-signing Wayne and Mathis, two of Polian's players. 

Seeing alll the hits Luck took last night, you are cringing on every play. 

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Like corgi said, he's tried.  Some will not be happy with his efforts, but it's not like he's neglected the OL.  Castonzo is good, he drafted Mewhort (can't predict injuries), tried several guys at C including Satele, Holmes, and Harrison before drafting Kelly, RG has been a problem but he's also tried guys like Herremans (who I thought would be a good player for us) and Donald Thomas (who I thought would be good as well), and we have Reitz and Good at RT.  Not only that, but he brought in a handful of guys with this year's draft.  Building an OL, or a team for that matter, isn't as simple as just bringing guys in.  Tons of things factor into it, like injuries, system fits, coaching fits, etc.

I know he's tried, it's just frustrating that it hasn't worked out the way we'd like it to. Especially when looking at the Boys' o-line, 4/5 of whom selected 2011 draft onwards. They pretty much built a dominant oline on the fly.

I usually just read, and I am not even usually signed in to post. But I just had to.

Are you seriously grading our offensive linemen from the preseason? When the entire line is learning a new zone system, as well as playbook?

Are you seriously grading our offensive line with a rookie Center, who still hasn't even played any pro games outside of the preseason?

I think everyone needs to relax, and slow down.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I wanted a change at head coach, but can understand why Chuck was retained.  He's a good enough leader, the players like him and Belichicks don't grow on trees.

How Grigson still has job, I have no idea.  Five years into this process, if this team is any better than it was in 2012, I don't see it.  It might be worse.  Give me the 2012 squad with a healthy borderline HOFer like Wayne and an actual pass rush with a healthy Mathis.  To date, two of Grigson"s 4-5 best moves were re-signing Wayne and Mathis, two of Polian's players. 

Seeing alll the hits Luck took last night, you are cringing on every play. 

If you fire the GM you you as well fire the coach.  The new GM usually want his guys anyway.

8 minutes ago, myic90 said:

I know he's tried, it's just frustrating that it hasn't worked out the way we'd like it to. Especially when looking at the Boys' o-line, 4/5 of whom selected 2011 draft onwards. They pretty much built a dominant oline on the fly.

The Cowboys are the exception, in my opinion.  It's pretty rare to draft 2 linemen (Martin and Frederick) and have them both become All-Pros so early in their careers.  They got Tyron Smith because they were able to draft really high, and them getting La'el Collins was a unique situation.  So judging how we're doing based off of how the Cowboys did/are doing isn't the best blueprint.

That's why we need fresh blood on this staff to coachem up.  New eyes to see where we're lacking, and we see as fans where we're lacking and sad but true, why aren't the coach see what we see. We need help (big time) in so many areas it's pathetic.  We kept these aging defensive players who can't cover an end around play, they just don't have enough gas anymore they're too damn old.  So, it's time to get some quality players, this starts with hiring a new GM and Coach....

2 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

That's why we need fresh blood on this staff to coachem up.  New eyes to see where we're lacking, and we see as fans where we're lacking and sad but true, why aren't the coach see what we see. We need help (big time) in so many areas it's pathetic.  We kept these aging defensive players who can't cover an end around play, they just don't have enough gas anymore they're too damn old.  So, it's time to get some quality players, this starts with hiring a new GM and Coach....

Are you seriously calling for a new coaching staff when we essentially replaced almost the entire staff this off season? You haven't even seen a full game to make that judgement. You have not even seen our real defense in its true form. And you have only seen vanilla scheme from the coordinators. And you cannot blame a ligament injury due to turf on a S/C coach. 

Please stop. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I usually just read, and I am not even usually signed in to post. But I just had to.

Are you seriously grading our offensive linemen from the preseason? When the entire line is learning a new zone system, as well as playbook?

Are you seriously grading our offensive line with a rookie Center, who still hasn't even played any pro games outside of the preseason?

I think everyone needs to relax, and slow down.

Thanks.

Hi  I am like you and mostly read but I totally agree with you on way way too early to make any sense of this.

It will take time to gel with all the new pieces and new coaches.  It is preseason and not that this team is in the same category yet but during the Peyton era we sucked mighty in these type of games.  

I am guessing that by real game 3 we will know better on what kind if team we have this year.  That is if the injury bug doesnt get much worse.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Grigson "tried"? Sure would be nice to "try" and continue to suck at my job without consequences.

Edited by 21isSuperman

5 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I'm sure Grigson has "tried" to build an o line.  Maybe he just doesn't know what the hell he's doing?  It's possible.  

It's obvious that Grigson doesn't know what he is doing. He "tried" Harrison, whom can't even snap a football lol

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

Grigson and Pagano threw just about all of the coaches under the bus.  It's a shame when you blame all of the team's problems on everyone but the GM and HC.  We've had 3 different offensive coordinators and we're just year 5 into building this so called monster.  No we're on an entirely new coaching staff.  In 5 years Grigson should have been able to put together at least a mediocre o line with some decent backups to rotate in and out.  Even without injuries this o line is less than mediocre and all the backups are rookies.  

Grigson definitely put effort into improving the OL this draft, so we can't knock him there. And I think most will agree the OL picks he made were all good players.

Indy has just had some really bad luck with their OL after Glenn, Saturday, Diem, etc. left. And obviously Indy has been one of the more plagued teams from injuries. I wonder when the bleeding with stop and when Indy will finally have a healthy season.

All that being said, are there other candidates out there that would do a much better job than Grigson at GM? Absolutely

Grigson has tried to put together a decent line. He has devoted money to free agents and some draft picks though most haven't worked out.

I feel that this team hasn't really committed to the type of linemen they want. This has been the biggest issue, imo. At first it seemed the Colts were going to go after more power scheme type of linemen and now it appears we might be looking at more zone type though it doesn't appear that has been etched in stone. They need to decide what type of line they want and make sure that every guy can fit the scheme.

59 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Grigson "tried"? Sure would be nice to "try" and continue to suck at my job without consequences.

I'm not a fan of Grigson and I think giving him an extension was a mistake.  I've been quite critical of Grigson during his time here and I don't think he's that good of a GM.  However, the point is that he has had 5 years to build an OL and he has made strides.  He hasn't completely neglected it.  I myself thought Herremans and Thomas would have been good players, and I think most people were excited for those two signings.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but he drafted several OLs in the draft and you can't blame Mewhort's injury on him.  I'm not giving Grigson a pass, but to suggest he's done nothing to fix the OL is completely wrong

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm not a fan of Grigson and I think giving him an extension was a mistake.  I've been quite critical of Grigson during his time here and I don't think he's that good of a GM.  However, the point is that he has had 5 years to build an OL and he has made strides.  He hasn't completely neglected it.  I myself thought Herremans and Thomas would have been good players, and I think most people were excited for those two signings.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but he drafted several OLs in the draft and you can't blame Mewhort's injury on him.  I'm not giving Grigson a pass, but to suggest he's done nothing to fix the OL is completely wrong

What strides are you seeing?  It's debatable but I think the o line has been getting worse each season.  Luck seemed more spooked than ever last night and it was just a preseason game.  

34 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

What strides are you seeing?  It's debatable but I think the o line has been getting worse each season.  Luck seemed more spooked than ever last night and it was just a preseason game.  

I personally don't put too much stock into preseason games.  As for strides, he brought in Mewhort, inherited Castonzo, brought in Kelly, brought in lots of competition for RG, and has Reitz.  If it weren't for Mewhort's injury, which we may still be able to overcome, we could have a very solid OL.

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

And the offensive line is still atrocious. How many years are we gonna give this Grigson to fix this issue? They can't block on 3rd and 1, or pass protect on 3rd and 1. Not being able to get a first down in these situations is unacceptable. Grigson is trusting the health of our franchise QB with bums, and Pagano doesn't feel the need to scold his players for not being able to block for one second. We will not be SB contenders with these weak and inept leaders. 

Jesus tapdancing Christ we've seen 3 PRESEASON games of our OL.  

These childish rants are just asinine. Pagano doesn't feel the need to scold his players? You're basing this on what exactly? 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Herremans admitted he wasn't good the 2 yrs prior to signing with Indy.  Why sign him?

Thomas was signed after having about 7 good games as a starter for the patriots.  He had been in the league for several yrs already.

when you are trying to protect your young franchise QB you don't do it that way.

23 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think he is talking about Castonzo not actually being Good 4 of his 5 years, Mewhort can lock onto guys quite well to pass defend, but he is a Giant sloth otherwise, that will never consistently get leverage to run block, he is not a Prize. Reitz, a decent Backup (when healthy) that certainly isn`t a Good pass or run blocker.
 Good showed up at least 25lbs overweight. We have No Idea if he can be a consistent player as a run or pass blocker, or have the Stamina for 4 quarters.
 Thornton says he finally got it (for his contract year) that eating garbage food has been a bad idea.
 Hmmm! Quite the Professional! And Oh, he is consistently physically Lame too!
   And we know all about dem bumbs Grigs has stuck in front of the Best prospect in 25 years.
   These Rookies that i do have high hopes for in a year or two, sure need to pan out!!
   Our young, outside shot at Rookie of the Year, stud Center played against a Man and got it handed to him. lol   The kid lacks quickness, that i knew, and now i have concern about his Power.
   I do KNOW that what he becomes in year 2,3, ... is most important.
  It takes time and experience.  But he will be working around some seriously Tall stiffs.
  So lol!

23 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Are you seriously calling for a new coaching staff when we essentially replaced almost the entire staff this off season? You haven't even seen a full game to make that judgement. You have not even seen our real defense in its true form. And you have only seen vanilla scheme from the coordinators. And you cannot blame a ligament injury due to turf on a S/C coach. 

Please stop. 

thank you for this.  saved me from typing it

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think he is talking about Castonzo not actually being Good 4 of his 5 years, Mewhort can lock onto guys quite well to pass defend, but he is a Giant sloth otherwise, that will never consistently get leverage to run block, he is not a Prize. Reitz, a decent Backup (when healthy) that certainly isn`t a Good pass or run blocker.
 Good showed up at least 25lbs overweight. We have No Idea if he can be a consistent player as a run or pass blocker, or have the Stamina for 4 quarters.
 Thornton says he finally got it (for his contract year) that eating garbage food has been a bad idea.
 Hmmm! Quite the Professional! And Oh, he is consistently physically Lame too!
   And we know all about dem bumbs Grigs has stuck in front of the Best prospect in 25 years.
   These Rookies that i do have high hopes for in a year or two, sure need to pan out!!
   Our young, outside shot at Rookie of the Year, stud Center played against a Man and got it handed to him. lol   The kid lacks quickness, that i knew, and now i have concern about his Power.
   I do KNOW that what he becomes in year 2,3, ... is most important.
  It takes time and experience.  But he will be working around some seriously Tall stiffs.
  So lol!

A: Kelly is still a rookie

B: Rookies have up and down games, he'd put together 2 real good games, even against the 1st in Buffalo, he was due for an off day/game

C: I have no concern with Kelly, and think he's gonna be our good center for some time to come

D:Good is crap, agreed, Thornton should have been cut last year, how he's still here

E: Castonzo has only been on the decline the last year and now this year, he was above average prior.  Just had no one to supplement him over there.

F: Bring on Sept 11 and a win so we can all hold hands and be happy again

Edited by 21isSuperman

Yes Grigs has had 5 years to build an OL.

how many years has Houston been looking for a QB?  3 times that long? More?  And thats one guy,?not 5.

how long has jax, or cleveland been trying to have even a little success?

its not that easy folks!

this isn't fantasy football or madden.

sheesh

On 8/28/2016 at 9:09 AM, Pacergeek said:

The line was completely overhauled this offseason aside from Mewhort and Constanzo, they're learning a new blocking scheme, and installing a brand new offense. Did you really expect them to be the '90s Cowboys by the 3rd preseason game?

So what, they showed their youth vs a very good and athletic Eagles front seven. They're going to have weeks like that, it's just how it is. Just a week ago everyone was singing their praises and talking about how great it was to see Luck throw with a clean pocket. Now after one bad showing, they're "atrocious."

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As great as the Cowboys O.Line has been, it hasn't done Romo any good. He has been injured a lot.

This is also very true. But for argument's sake, they are kind of the golden standard for o-line play in the NFL right now. Romo's injuries aside, that line is nasty, plain and simple.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As great as the Cowboys O.Line has been, it hasn't done Romo any good. He has been injured a lot.

Can we please stop using Tony Romo and the Cowboys o line comparison analogy (not personally aimed at you since lots of other people do it as well)? Romo is extremely injury-prone so it's not really accurate to equate the two.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is also very true. But for argument's sake, they are kind of the golden standard for o-line play in the NFL right now. Romo's injuries aside, that line is nasty, plain and simple.

I think they have the best Line in Football, I wish we had their Line. I guess my point was any QB can still get injured regardless of how great the Line is.