Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton for Colts GM

Indy B

Alright, I'll humour you.  On what basis should we bring in Peyton?  He literally retired this offseason.  As far as we know, he has 0 experience in drafting guys, free agency, managing contracts, working trades, etc.  You can't bring him in and give him 100% control right away.  That's asking for disaster

Lets just look at the pros and cons of this. The pros, He would be relentless in the pursuit of perfection,He has earned the respect off anyone important in football, The players would play to his expectations or not play at all, He knows FOOTBALL, The cons, cant thank of any.I would give him the reins NOW. To bad Jim owns the Colts or #18 would be the GM HC and play when needed.  You will be sorry when he takes over the broncos!

12 minutes ago, basspapaw said:

Lets just look at the pros and cons of this. The pros, He would be relentless in the pursuit of perfection,He has earned the respect off anyone important in football, The players would play to his expectations or not play at all, He knows FOOTBALL, The cons, cant thank of any.I would give him the reins NOW. To bad Jim owns the Colts or #18 would be the GM HC and play when needed.  You will be sorry when he takes over the broncos!

solid post

/s

8 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

haha 

These threads after a pre-season game are becoming asinine. Hard to take some of them seriously

You'll take them more seriously when Luck gets knocked out of action after a few games -- and even if he doesn't, we no longer have 6 easy wins in the division. Grigson should have been fired, but the owner is obviously a very ill man.

3 minutes ago, azcolt said:

You'll take them more seriously when Luck gets knocked out of action after a few games -- and even if he doesn't, we no longer have 6 easy wins in the division. Grigson should have been fired, but the owner is obviously a very ill man.

I'm not advocating that we will steam roll the division. They have improved, to what extent I'm not sure...The point I was making is Peyton being a new GM for our team is quite a stretch and not realistic. 

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

cheap shot alert!

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Alright, I'll humour you.  On what basis should we bring in Peyton?  He literally retired this offseason.  As far as we know, he has 0 experience in drafting guys, free agency, managing contracts, working trades, etc.  You can't bring him in and give him 100% control right away.  That's asking for disaster

We already have disaster he couldn't do much worst.

40 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It make you wonder if Irsay is just waiting for Harbaugh to get his feel at Michigan. 

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sure we could.  We went 8-8 last year.  We could do plenty worse.

People have short term memory loss after losing Peyton Manning & a disaster in 2011 we went 11-5, 3 seasons in a row & even without Andrew Luck last year 8-8 it could of definetly been worse as you point out . 

I was just reading this & I'm providing this link for those dogging Grigson while I respect Peyton Manning he at this time as GM is a joke ..

http://www.colts.com/team/staff/Ryan-Grigson/d89d12a6-623d-4ccb-ae8b-9c3e20720b50

I don't think this is realistic at all no matter how many times someone makes a silly post about it.   But, for arguments sake do you think Irsay is willing to offer Manning an ownership stake in the Colts (I don't)? , and unsubstantiated rumors occasionally pop up that a couple of other franchises may be willing to do just that in the near future. 

I hate when people make it sound like being a GM of a football team is easy. There is a lot more to it than just signing, trading and drafting. You gotta overlook the cap, manage contracts, scout players, hire the correct staff, build a solid relationship with said staff, create healthy relations with players and agents, and many more things. And while GMs have a lot of people working with them (scouts, Assistant GMs, etc), any sort of personnel decision or transaction, good or bad, will fall onto them (for the most part). So whilst I love Peyton Manning (GOAT), thinking that he would do a better job at managing this football club than Grigson is just absurd.

and btw, not saying Grigson is a good GM, and not saying Peyton CAN'T be a good GM. Just that this idea, at this point, is beyond asinine 

Why would Payton want a GM job? You say bring him in like it was some kind of order or something? Peyton spent so much time living and breathing football I highly doubt he would want a job that took that much time away from his family, businesses and foundation.

This season hasn't even started yet and out comes the fire Grigson birds. I have a feeling you all are going to be whining for a long time.

With the changes pretty much across the board Irsay is not going to make any changes anytime soon.

We have a rash of injuries that has put a damper on showing what this team is capable of doing and some want changes made before any of us see how this is going to work out?

IMO it's nonsense.

19 hours ago, Indy B said:

Time to bring #18 back to run the Colts Org!

19 hours ago, Tomy said:

I am ALL in for Peyton as GM. It would be a WIN for the Colts org, team and Indy for years to come.

Question: Did you create a 2nd account just so you could quote and agree with yourself? I ask because I'm comparing both the Tomy and Indy B accounts and they both are fairly new accounts with nearly identical post counts and both visited the forum exactly "18 hours ago", as of this post. It just seemed funny reading your enthusiasm over Indy B's topic.

16 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sure we could.  We went 8-8 last year.  We could do plenty worse.

Ya well Grigson sucks he hasn't fixed this team since he has been here and if that line is like that all season long then I would get rid of him and Pagano too because he isn't who is going to lead us to where we want to be.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Question: Did you create a 2nd account just so you could quote and agree with yourself? I ask because I'm comparing both the Tomy and Indy B accounts and they both are fairly new accounts with nearly identical post counts and both visited the forum exactly "18 hours ago", as of this post. It just seemed funny reading your enthusiasm over Indy B's topic.

Hey it's a competitive market when it comes to making asinine topics... I really can't wait for WK1 when we can get back to what really matters.

Lighting up the pitchforks and running the entire coaching staff out of town at the first sign of a L. 

I mean really. Irsay made a bold (I'm trying to be positive here) choice to keep Grigson and Pagano, you know they will have at least a season but if we don't make the playoffs I can see Grigson gone at the very least. Troubling thing is, with our injury position, that's becoming a more likely prospect. 

20 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I would be happy for him to come back to the organization, but not as GM. 

He would need a few years experience in coaching and managing before taking that role over.

He's been coaching the offense for years already.

I would happily give the reigns over to a guy who devotes all he can to get his job done.  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would Payton want a GM job? You say bring him in like it was some kind of order or something? Peyton spent so much time living and breathing football I highly doubt he would want a job that took that much time away from his family, businesses and foundation.

This season hasn't even started yet and out comes the fire Grigson birds. I have a feeling you all are going to be whining for a long time.

With the changes pretty much across the board Irsay is not going to make any changes anytime soon.

We have a rash of injuries that has put a damper on showing what this team is capable of doing and some want changes made before any of us see how this is going to work out?

IMO it's nonsense.

I don't really advocate firing Grigson.   I just think that if the need is there, Manning would be a wonderful candidate.   

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't really advocate firing Grigson.   I just think that if the need is there, Manning would be a wonderful candidate.   

If a change needs to be made I would love to see Harbaugh take complete control. I am a Harbaugh guy and think he is a tremendous HeadCoach on both the College and Pro level. I doubt he ever leaves Michigan though. Harbaugh would be the perfect Coach for Luck as well IMO, he was in College. Harbaugh is a fan favorite here as well because of his 1995 Season so he has Indiana ties.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If a change needs to be made I would love to see Harbaugh take complete control. I am a Harbaugh guy and think he is a tremendous HeadCoach on both the College and Pro level. I doubt he ever leaves Michigan though. Harbaugh would be the perfect Coach for Luck as well IMO, he was in College. Harbaugh is a fan favorite here as well because of his 1995 Season so he has Indiana ties.

I'd be fine with that too.   I think Manning would be the better GM though.  

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If a change had to be made I wouldn't mind Harbaugh being hired as a head coach but not combined with the GM position.

I think Myles is right about Manning being the GM would be better. A lot of fans wouldn't second guess him and berate him as much as another GM just because of a bad pick or trade going south.

I could be wrong but IMO I don't see either men taking a position with the Colts anytime soon.