Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort has a knee injury...Update: out 2-4 weeks

snkdy

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

You know,  I was just looking at something,  everyone knows bout our injury bug these past few years,  but one thing I'm noticing is that the big injuries, the season ending ones, seem to happen at home. Maybe we need to start looking at the field and seeing what if any effect it's having. It just seems that since the new field at LOS, we've had a ton of major injuries, including at least 3 ACLs that I can think of off top of my head. Maybe I'm just drunk, that could be it too. Thoughts? 

Good point there may be something to it who knows. 

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

You know,  I was just looking at something,  everyone knows bout our injury bug these past few years,  but one thing I'm noticing is that the big injuries, the season ending ones, seem to happen at home. Maybe we need to start looking at the field and seeing what if any effect it's having. It just seems that since the new field at LOS, we've had a ton of major injuries, including at least 3 ACLs that I can think of off top of my head. Maybe I'm just drunk, that could be it too. Thoughts? 

I have raised this point about the surface before, myself.  Maybe this reply should go in another thread, but since you asked for thoughts...

It should be fairly easy, at this point, to do a statistical analysis on injury occurrences across the league on the various surfaces.

First thing to look at.  How do the Colts rank as far as injuries go?  Seems like many to us, but every team has them, so look at the data.

Next, if the Colts do have many more injuries than other teams, is it conditioning (I'll guess not) or the playing surface?  Do we have more injuries at home?  Are visiting teams sustaining injuries when they play here?  What are the types of injuries?  How do they compare to teams that play on grass or other types of synthetic? Quite a few teams do play on grass so there should be some answers in the data.  It might also be best to look at the types of injuries separately.

I'm no sports kinesiologist, but I'll make a guess that high rates of ACL injuries are due to too much tack in the surface.  Sure, the players can make sharper cuts and don't fall on their butts, but that's no competitive advantage if the opposing team can also make those sharp cuts.  Instead, it's a disadvantage when you play half your games on this high-grip surface and the injuries mount up from a foot that doesn't release to prevent knee torque when it should.

I have other thoughts regarding the surface and concussions which I'll save for another day.

44 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Good point there may be something to it who knows. 

I agree. It might be time to look at the turf...and perhaps replace with a more modern option. It's 8 years old after all and a lot has changed in turf over those  years.

Kelly looked like a rookie against a all pro line man, but if you noticed that same lineman could not could not get the same push rush against our RG  so it well take some time but kelly well work out. On  the other Hand Castanzo got his butt handed to him time after time last night, I liked how Blythe looked when he took over over for Mewhort and Clark had his troubles at RT but expected for a rookie but they have 15 days to get this guys playing together  

It's definitely a huge blow with Mewhort getting hurt. Pagano already knows how bad we look at the moment and I trust something will happen to best protect Luck. It's not anyone's fault that Mewhort got hurt. That happens with football every season and usually happens to our best players. It's just depressing to watch the team lose last week and then look like they went 2 steps backwards yesterday. We have to wait another week to see the team again. Patience sucks with football for sure but I hope we see something good next week.

4 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Mewhort was our best offensive lineman. We can't recover from this one.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's a pretty massive blow. I just hope Luck can stay healthy and play decent despite our O-line and defense issues. Even if we go 7-9, if Luck can regain 2013/2014 type of form and stay healthy I think our future is bright. As for '16, I'm bracing myself for something like 6 to 8 wins. 

5 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Yeah, I'm afraid it's a pretty massive blow. I just hope Luck can stay healthy and play decent despite our O-line and defense issues. Even if we go 7-9, if Luck can regain 2013/2014 type of form and stay healthy I think our future is bright. As for '16, I'm bracing myself for something like 6 to 8 wins. 

Our future won't be bright until  Grigson is gone. I said this last year but we're the AFC version of the Falcons.  At some point you have to start drafting defensive players in the first round. Grigson just doesn't get it. 

1 minute ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Our future won't be bright until  Grigson is gone. I said this last year but we're the AFC version of the Falcons.  At some point you have to start drafting defensive players in the first round. Grigson just doesn't get it. 

This is why the Broncos and Patriots are so successful as well as the Seahawks recently. They have or have had QB's, but they had a solid defense back them up that can get pressure on the QB and keep points off the opponent's scoreboard. Our defense does neither.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is why the Broncos and Patriots are so successful as well as the Seahawks recently. They have or have had QB's, but they had a solid defense back them up that can get pressure on the QB and keep points off the opponent's scoreboard. Our defense does neither.

Defense could actually be good this year, you know when 7 of the 11 starters are actually playing.

Just now, corgi said:

Defense could actually be good this year, you know when 7 of the 11 starters are actually playing.

Not talking about the preseason this year, I'm literally talking about since 1998, when Manning was drafted and he never had a defense because of poor drafts on defense, and Luck hasn't either. This has been an ongoing problem for 20 years, not a game or two. This is much more than this particular group of players. Manning goes to the Broncos at age 35, he reaches two SB's and wins one in his last two years. He did the same in his first 15 years here, that shows the value of a good defense.

Mewhort was our best lineman, but we still have guys like Clark and Haeg who could step into that spot and possibly to a good job of it.  The season is not lost at all.  Part of the benefit of drafting so many linemen in the previous draft is being able to withstand injuries.  I'm not saying Haeg or Clark or whoever replaces Mewhort is going to be All-Pro, but if they can do even a decent job of it (which plenty of rookie OLs have done in the past), we will be able to weather this storm.

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Those defense were more than solid, they were dominant.

i know you know this, just wanted to point it out.

1 hour ago, cmgww said:

I agree. It might be time to look at the turf...and perhaps replace with a more modern option. It's 8 years old after all and a lot has changed in turf over those  years.

Will Carroll has said not so nice things about the colts playing surface for a few year now.  Evidently it's not real popular with players around the league.

39 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I don't think it's so much that Grigson needs to draft X position in round 1, as it is that in the NFL now you essentially need three pieces to be strong enough to give you a good chance to compete with the teams in January onward - QB, O-line, and pass rush... And we've only got 1 of 3.

Assuming we win like 7 games or so this year Grigson should have a good chance to draft a high quality edge rusher, which will help. But we also need to be able to run the football effectively. I don't think it's looking like we will be able to do that this year, but we have got to find a way if we're ever going to be Super Bowl contenders. 

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Will Carroll has said not so nice things about the colts playing surface for a few year now.  Evidently it's not real popular with players around the league.

I'm telling you it's the turf not only at LOS but the practice facilities too

29 minutes ago, BOTT said:

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm telling you it's the turf not only at LOS but the practice facilities too

I posted this in another thread on the forums.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-adjusted-games-lost

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

In 2012, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Packers, Jaguars, Colts, Redskins, and Cowboys.

In 2013, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Giants, Colts, Packers, Patriots, and Chargers.

In 2014, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Giants, Chargers, Colts, Raiders, and 49ers.

In 2015, it was the Giants, Redskins, Ravens, Patriots, and Bears.  San Diego and San Fran were #6 and 7, but the Raiders and Colts weren't hit that badly with injuries last year, if you go off those numbers.

In 3 of the last 4 years, we've been bottom 3 in the league in terms of games lost to injury.  Perhaps there is something going on in Indy with the turf or something.  The Chargers are getting hit pretty bad each year too.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Mewhort was our best lineman, but we still have guys like Clark and Haeg who could step into that spot and possibly to a good job of it.  The season is not lost at all.  Part of the benefit of drafting so many linemen in the previous draft is being able to withstand injuries.  I'm not saying Haeg or Clark or whoever replaces Mewhort is going to be All-Pro, but if they can do even a decent job of it (which plenty of rookie OLs have done in the past), we will be able to weather this storm.

Clark has almost exclusively played RT this pre-season, moving him to Guard now probably wont work too well.

15 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I've been on the field, kinda feels like a trampoline, very bouncy, I'm not sure i'd enjoy playing football on it.

Yeah me too. But I've also been on other fields with astroturf, they've all got rubber under them to absorb the hits but I'm guessing it's something I the fibers that hold the turf together, too tight or even too loose and it grabs cleats wrong. I'm sure the colts have guys that check that out so I'm shooting in the dark and just thinking out loud

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Sure Castonzo is a veteran, but he played badly last year (and admitted it) and has looked awful this year, especially tonight against a #1 line.   

I wonder if any of it has to do with he may be trying to cover the mistakes of others and doing too much.

I havent watched last years tape on him but with all the problems throughout the line I could understand it causing him to play a bit out of position.

Great news. Hopefully we can put together a solid game with who we have vs the Lions in Week1 and get most of our players back by Week2. I wouldn't rush him back. If we beat the Lions to start 1-0 which we should that at least gives us a little lee way going into Week2 on who we play/bring back from injury, etc.. We definitely cant start 0-2 again, even me who is GHF knows that spells doom.

Say What!?!

So the NFL Network reports that Mewhort is out for the season and a few hours later Irsay tweets that he is only out 2-4 weeks?

Not going to get too excited until he actually gets on the field. I have a feeling this could be one of those deals where they say 2-4 weeks and it ends up becoming half of the season.

If our track record is a sign of things to come then I say we put him on PUP and save the roster spot for 6 weeks. We need that roster spot right now.