Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort has a knee injury...Update: out 2-4 weeks

snkdy

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

even though the Anderson one wasn't in TC/preseason

I think there's a chance Anderson might be available week one.  Probably not as a starter, but at least active if needed.  Let's hope.  We need all the help we can get.  And Jones isn't because of Preseason either.  

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JPFolks said:

I think there's a chance Anderson might be available week one.  Probably not as a starter, but at least active if needed.  Let's hope.  We need all the help we can get.  And Jones isn't because of Preseason either.  

Yeah but worst case scenario, ALL those guys could potentially be out.

By the way the pre season has been going, we may as well expect worst case scenario at this point :flaming:

Just now, JPFolks said:

But that has been the criticism of Grigson, a lot of his players, whether than are FA's or draft picks, have been flops.  Assessing talent is the point.  Not all picks hit for anyone, it just seems that line picks especially have been a weakness.  Perhaps the fault lies with the scouts, but someone is missing the boat. We have no idea the long term success of this year's 4 picks.  Blythe looks very raw, but he's a 7th.  Kelly really got a wake up call tonight, perhaps it will aid in his development and playing Center in the NFL is no small job.  Clark and Haeg for me are the question marks.  I am hopeful Haeg will be the steal in our draft on the line.  Anyone know what his injury is?  Perhaps Kelly and Haeg will be hits and Clark's raw talent can grow into a starting role.  Reitz is getting old, Haeg would be a great back up swing tackle prospect if he turns out to be the real deal.  But we really don't know.  Does anyone think we're going to hit the regular season with a top half O Line? How about top 2/3rds?  

I agree and have admitted it is more than fair to say the moves he made didn't work.  It's not just more than fair it's the truth.  All I am objecting too is the idea he didn't try to fix it.  

Honestly if you look at his drafts the 2012 draft was extremely good, four players got second contracts (even though one wasn't by the Colts) and another in Ballard was productive until getting hurt.  

2013 is the disaster that is hurting.  Only one guy left on the roster in Thornton and he might very well not be here in a little over a week.

2014 was okay, they hit on their two highest picks but didn't get much out of the others.

2015 looks very good with three defensive starters this season once Anderson and Geathers get healthy plus a starting WR in the first round that at the time looked like a luxury pick but has turned into a real need a year later.

the early returns on this class are good but honestly can't really be graded at all right now.

so if you leave out this years class his problem was 2013 which is showing up right now because those are the guys who should be going into contract years and becoming key starters on your football team right now.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree and have admitted it is more than fair to say the moves he made didn't work.  It's not just more than fair it's the truth.  All I am objecting too is the idea he didn't try to fix it.  

Honestly if you look at his drafts the 2012 draft was extremely good, four players got second contracts (even though one wasn't by the Colts) and another in Ballard was productive until getting hurt.  

2013 is the disaster that is hurting.  Only one guy left on the roster in Thornton and he might very well not be here in a little over a week.

2014 was okay, they hit on their two highest picks but didn't get much out of the others.

2015 looks very good with three defensive starters this season once Anderson and Geathers get healthy plus a starting WR in the first round that at the time looked like a luxury pick but has turned into a real need a year later.

the early returns on this class are good but honestly can't really be graded at all right now.

so if you leave out this years class his problem was 2013 which is showing up right now because those are the guys who should be going into contract years and becoming key starters on your football team right now.  

Yeah. How many guys per year are supposed to be starters and how many should at least be back up depth and quality special teamers? I mean, what is average and are we above that?  I wonder if anyone has that compiled somewhere? 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Yeah. How many guys per year are supposed to be starters and how many should at least be back up depth and quality special teamers? I mean, what is average and are we above that?  I wonder if anyone has that compiled somewhere? 

Well it probably depends on how many picks you have and what rounds you have them in.

Still four starters in a class is really good.  

That said the 2013 class which really gave them nothing is the killer right now.

15 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

K so that's Mewhort, Davis, Anderson, Langford, Jones, and potentially Geathers all out week 1.

I hate the pre season

Yeah.... and as much as I don't wanna say it... but I bet Mewhort isn't gonna be the last starter to go down for us. More are coming... I'm just expecting it now, waiting to see who's next in line. This season is starting to look real bleak now.

I try to be an optimist.  I really do.  But it is getting harder by the day to be optimistic about this team.  I still feel they have a shot, but injuries are piling up and they haven't even gotten to games that count.  But.....when I look around the league, the Colts aren't alone.  There are injuries mounting all over.  So every other team out there will have to find a way to make it work, just like the Colts.  As long as they have 12, they will have a shot.  Obviously, we lose him and it's over this year.  I guess if there is one silver lining it's that a lot of these young guys will get some good experience that will make the team deeper down the road.  But that's all the positive I got.

Okay so what will the line look like now? We spent the last draft stockpiling on olinemen. Time to see what level of depth the team has now. Maybe Thornton and Reitz can come back healthy and take both guard spots, allowing Good to shift to the right tackle position (where he spent some time at last season IIRC). So

AC-JR-RK-HT-DG

That's probably a best case scenario at this point. And even so, that right side is terrifying. Haeg also a possibility 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Okay so what will the line look like now? We spent the last draft stockpiling on olinemen. Time to see what level of depth the team has now. Maybe Thornton and Reitz can come back healthy and take both guard spots, allowing Good to shift to the right tackle position (where he spent some time at last season IIRC). So

AC-JR-RK-HT-DG

That's probably a best case scenario at this point. And even so, that right side is terrifying. Haeg also a possibility 

That's clearly an option.

i am not a big fan of shift everyone around because of one injury because that just means more people playing positions they aren't normally playing which equals more mistakes.  I think the best option is to play Haeg at left guard and know there are going to be growing pains for the middle of the line but in a year or two they could be really good upfront because of the extra experience they get now.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That's clearly an option.

i am not a big fan of shift everyone around because of one injury because that just means more people playing positions they aren't normally playing which equals more mistakes.  I think the best option is to play Haeg at left guard and know there are going to be growing pains for the middle of the line but in a year or two they could be really good upfront because of the extra experience they get now.

Good point. Long term, yeah, putting Haeg at LG is the best option, but I'm not sure it would be best for the team this season having him in there. Plus, it's not like shifting Good and Reitz would be that big an issue. Good has played RT before, and Reitz is the Swiss Army knife of the Oline. Can play anywhere on the line.

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

I just shed a tear.  Plz don't be true...........

Rappaport is going by what his insiders are telling him.  this is devastating certainly, but we have to push on,,,,pre-season ALWAYS takes out good players... it's a waste of healthy bodies, but it is what it is.  We need to find someone and find them fast... he will be impossibly hard to replace this quickly...so someone is going to have to emerge and keep Lucks body-parts intact.

Since the Colts season is apparently ruined ( say the negative nancies), maybe these doom and gloom fans will start following bowling or poker on tv and spare the rest of us all this negativity.

one can only hope.

if you find $20 laying in the street, don't complain it's not $100.

26 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Good point. Long term, yeah, putting Haeg at LG is the best option, but I'm not sure it would be best for the team this season having him in there. Plus, it's not like shifting Good and Reitz would be that big an issue. Good has played RT before, and Reitz is the Swiss Army knife of the Oline. Can play anywhere on the line.

I think Reitz has been at his best at tackle.  As for Good while he did play tackle before he has spent all of camp and all off-season moving to guard so their would be an adjustment,. 

Also, the oline pretty much functions as a unit when you move parts around it impacts more than the guy who moves it impacts the others around them.  So moving three guys around because of one injury will mess with everyone and is a pretty drastic change.  I think the less impactful change on the group would be to replace Mewhort at left guard with someone who currently isn't playing.  Personally I think Haeg is the best option but the coaches could go with a Thornton or Harrison or moving more parts around as you have suggested.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well it probably depends on how many picks you have and what rounds you have them in.

Still four starters in a class is really good.  

That said the 2013 class which really gave them nothing is the killer right now.

2013 draft was a historically bad draft a lot of teams don't have much to show. The killer draft was 2014 not because of who we picked but who we didn't. We only had 5 picks and no 1st rounder.  

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

AC-JR-RK-HT-DG

I don't see them doing that.  I think Haeg will go to LG and keep everyone else where they are.  Haeg played well at that position in preseason,...so I think we could be ok here.

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd stop talking about this topic if I was you 

I won't I'm not the only one that feels that way. Correct me if I'm wrong but last season Jack didn't give up a single sack making him out best offensive lineman 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't care what rankings say.   The coaches aren't putting jack at LT.  LT is always your best lineman.  

"LT is always your best lineman."

That's certainly not true and is a narrow way of thinking about it. LT is where your suppose to put your best pass blocker. That doesn't mean he is your best O Lineman. That's a year to year accomplishment. Just because an O Lineman is good 1 year doesn't make him good the next. Last year Mewhort was our best and most consistent O Lineman. Does that mean he can play LT? I certainly don't want him playing LT for any extended period of time.

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

K so that's Mewhort, Davis, Anderson, Langford, Jones, and potentially Geathers all out week 1.

I hate the pre season

Jones Davis and Mewhort aren't potentially out week 1. They are out. I think Langford is a go and we get Anderson and Geathers in some capacity. Davis is the biggest loss we simply have no one close to his level. Good news everyone except Mewhort is expected back pretty soon. Hopefully we don't lose anyone else before the Lions.

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

We're cross posting, but I think Haeg might be a more natural Tackle and Reitz a better option to move to a new position.  

I am with you Haeg would be better at RT. I don't think we want to surround Kelly with green G's. I really think that piece has to be taken into account.

I think sliding Thorton into LG makes the most sense provided he can get healthy. I think he comes back this week. There was no reason to rush him Good need reps. It's time now. If Haeg starts I'd think RT and Reitz to G is what I would look at. I don't want Kelly surrounded by guys switching positions. Thanks Hawkeye fans for not tossing Blythe in the mix. Kit plays before that happens.

It wasn't so long ago 2012 Reitz had won the starting RG job in camp before a knee injury derailed him. We have a few options and different combinations we could try. Mewhort was a fan fav and a good G but it's not like we are talking about Larry Allen here. 

I would be surprised if we don't bring in some OG's after cuts to look at too. Losing Jack stinks but it's not an injury we won't overcome. 

As far as the game vs Eagles what did everyone expect with how many guys we had out? I don't think this changes things as much as the board seems to think. Philbin is a solid OL coach and Chud is a good OC. We will continue to improve. As long as Luck is healthy we have a shot vs anyone. 

Been up all night stressing over this and am not feeling better this morning. Didn't care how that preseason game went, just wanted to avoid any major injuries. I don't drink to cope with stress, but I have eaten a 2 pound block of cheddar cheese and I don't feel any better. This is literally going to screw up the O-Line for the season and set us back a year.

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It's a theory I haven't heard before.  I wonder if anyone keeps that sort of stat.  Like have visiting teams had a similar issue?  Did anyone see a replay of the play Mewhort got injured on?  I will try to find it when I have time, but was it a hit or did his foot get caught in the turf?  I have no idea.  

I've not been able to find any stats on it..... Hmmm maybe I'll try to compile at least ours

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Philbin is a solid OL coach

You had me in total agreement until this.  I am not saying he is definitely bad, but there's no evidence yet that he's had a positive impact.  Veteran players didn't show improvement, and Castonzo showed some regression so far this preseason similar to his poor play last year.  The rookies are rookies, so I won't blame him for anything, but I am not sure there's evidence worthy of praise either.  

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Been up all night stressing over this and am not feeling better this morning. Didn't care how that preseason game went, just wanted to avoid any major injuries. I don't drink to cope with stress, but I have eaten a 2 pound block of cheddar cheese and I don't feel any better. This is literally going to screw up the O-Line for the season and set us back a year.

You're taking this way to personal if that's the case 

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's just football. Take it easy. Stressing out over a meaningless game is pointless. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

It's just football. Take it easy. Stressing out over a meaningless game is pointless. 

The game wasn't meaningless because it was preseason, it had meaning because we lost mewhort for the year. I don't mind the loss at all, I care that Luck lost his 2nd best lineman. The game means nothing, the injury means everything.

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't care what rankings say.   The coaches aren't putting jack at LT.  LT is always your best lineman.  

Not true you can have a guard be your best lineman and he definitely is better than most of our lineman and if it is confirmed tat he tore his ACL then that is a crushing loss.

I feel bad for Jack, because he is a stand up guy who does a very good job on the offensive line.

Hold the pin in the grenade for just a moment.

What I am about to say will not be a popular post.

I don't believe this injury hurts us as much as most people think. It certainly is not nearly as painful as our corner situation. Mewhort is not a dancing bear, and while he brings excellent experience to the offensive line; he never really fit the zone scheme. We drafted him because he was a mauler. For anyone keeping the record; that was our old offensive line philosophy.

I do not think Mewhort was in the long term plan. That's why we drafted 4 offensive lineman.

Will Joe Haeg please stand up. We are sending you into battle sooner than we thought we would. 

You can throw your grenades at me now. :)