Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaepernick refuses to stand during national anthem

jvan1973

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's fine.      Except the part where Jvan doesn't like it when people go after him over the 2nd amendment.

What he did today is what he doesn't like when people do it to him over the 2nd amendment.

It cuts both ways......

I don't follow,those conversations so I will stay out of it.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did you come to decide that Kap isn't very intelligent?

I believe he had a 4.2 GPA and did very well in college.      I know this because he wanted to go to.........  Stanford.

The way he acts, talks, and conducts himself doesn't lead me to believe he's an intelligent guy. If he is then he's hiding it well

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is your opinion.....    and, of course,  you have no FACTS to back it up.

Get back to me when you find facts that back it up.       Until then........     Yawn.

Why has he not made a stand before?  Why wait until gabbert is beating you out in the qb battle?  --

1 hour ago, Jules said:

This thread may not end well lol.

I do get Kaepernick's concerns though with the treatment of blacks, especially by the police. Since it has bothered me greatly myself.I know it bothers many out there even if they don't want to say it out loud.

I am not sure though blaming America and America only here is the way to go about it or protesting the American flag and anthem. Many good people live in this country, we are not all bad. 

Kaep did himself no favors though either since his job is on the line and he has been on a slow decline here and the NFL is highly patriotic.

In the original article:

But, at the time you don't see these top athletes in the NBA for example acting this way. They still will play for the Olympics and win gold for America for example and speak eloquently about the issues that concern them when need be. They do their jobs when needed on the court and do their activism and charity off the court. Some of the top NBA stars have specifically been vocal about gun violence quite often.

Kaep would have been better off trying to get active in another way with other athletes behind the scenes maybe IMO, but yes he does have the right to sit down during the Anthem but in a highly patriotic league it is the kiss of death for image.

Well said Jules. The bolded part, absolutely on the money.

I remember hearing Carmelo Anthony say after winning gold that while there is still work needs to be done, and things are not perfect in America, but this is what it is all about, people coming together for one cause. "That" is leading by example. "That" should give us all hope. I never thought I'd mention 'Melo as an example on the leadership front but this Olympics, he definitely was.

Kaepernick is just getting his 15 minutes of fame. He is by no means leading by example with his dissidence, nor is his statement well made, IMO.

In life, you are always going to find people whose actions try to unite during times of adversity and people whose actions divide. That is just how it is.

That's fine.      Except the part where Jvan doesn't like it when people go after him over the 2nd amendment.

What he did today is what he doesn't like when people do it to him over the 2nd amendment.

It cuts both ways......

There's a difference..... 

No one is trying to eliminate the 1st amendment..... No one is calling for a ban on not standing for the anthem... no one is saying he shouldn't have that paint on his check because it looks scary, or that he should be able to wear cleats to give hI'm better traction and thus faster speed.

Now if you wanna turn this into a political debate, pm me. I'm sure ive already pushed that envelope enough for this thread.

It is his right to not stand for the anthem. He has every right to say why or why not. However, it is an unAmerican thing to do and whether we like it or not, he is ambassor of an AMERICAN sport. Where he is paid in AMERICAN dollars under the veil of freedom provided to his priveleged butt by the blood shed by AMERICANS of all colors, ethnicgroups and creeds.

No what he chose to do here was to act like a fool and protest in response to let's face it, a few less career criminals on the streets.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Why has he not made a stand before?  Why wait until gabbert is beating you out in the qb battle?  --

The man is putting his career at risk.     He's now HUGELY unpopular.      And he'll be unpopular for a long time.    So,  if he gets cut,  what team is going to want to take him on?     

I don't know what triggered his doing this yesterday and neither do you.     But what he did comes at great personal cost, and if you don't understand that,   then I can't help you.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The man is putting his career at risk.     He's now HUGELY unpopular.      And he'll be unpopular for a long time.    So,  if he gets cut,  what team is going to want to take him on?     

I don't know what triggered his doing this yesterday and neither do you.     But what he did comes at great personal cost, and if you don't understand that,   then I can't help you.

He was going to be cut anyway more than likely.  

If he wanted to truly take a stand you don't wait until you have one for out the door already.  

Boycotting the anthem makes zero sense for this cause anyway

*****************************PUBLIC APOLOGY*************************************

We're not supposed to talk politics here.     I know that, and let my better judgement take a long walk.

My bad.     I should've been smart enough to avoid the thread,  I wasn't.      My bad.

I'm not defending what Kaepernack said....    not in any way.     I disagree with most of what he said.

I'm only defending unpopular free speech.     It's an important issue to me.

Still....    that said,   this isn't the forum for that.

So,    My apologies to JVan.      I know you,  I like you.     We just disagree on this and that's OK.    Sorry I responded as I did.

My apologies to everyone else in the thread.    You weren't anticipating a political debate here and that's what you got.     All my fault,  entirely my fault.     Shouldn't have happened.

And,  my apologies to Nadine and all the other moderators.     Sorry for screwing up a Saturday game day.

Brain Cramp.     I've tried to avoid fights like this for most of this year, and I've been pretty successful.    

Until today.      100% my fault.     I'll try to do better.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

This thread may not end well lol.

I do get Kaepernick's concerns though with the treatment of blacks, especially by the police. Since it has bothered me greatly myself.I know it bothers many out there even if they don't want to say it out loud.

I am not sure though blaming America and America only here is the way to go about it or protesting the American flag and anthem. Many good people live in this country, we are not all bad. 

Kaep did himself no favors though either since his job is on the line and he has been on a slow decline here and the NFL is highly patriotic.

In the original article:

But, at the time you don't see these top athletes in the NBA for example acting this way. They still will play for the Olympics and win gold for America for example and speak eloquently about the issues that concern them when need be. They do their jobs when needed on the court and do their activism and charity off the court. Some of the top NBA stars have specifically been vocal about gun violence quite often.

Kaep would have been better off trying to get active in another way with other athletes behind the scenes maybe IMO, but yes he does have the right to sit down during the Anthem but in a highly patriotic league it is the kiss of death for image.

"This thread may not end well" - great quote. Do threads like this ever haha 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He was going to be cut anyway more than likely.  

If he wanted to truly take a stand you don't wait until you have one for out the door already.  

Boycotting the anthem makes zero sense for this cause anyway

Opinion.      Opinion.      Opinion.

Please see my apology to you and others in this thread.      It's posted now.

We can all move on to bigger and better.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Opinion.      Opinion.      Opinion.

Please see my apology to you and others in this thread.      It's posted now.

We can all move on to bigger and better.

This is still on topic of the thread.   Please explain how boycotting he national anthem makes sense when your cause is police violence on minorities?  

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is still on topic of the thread.   Please explain how boycotting he national anthem makes sense when your cause is police violence on minorities?  

I don't have to explain it.    But it makes sense to Kaepernick.     That's all that matters.

To be clear,  I don't agree with most of what he said.    I'm just defending his right to say it and not be crushed for it.

7 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I don't think that what he did has to make sense to anyone but him.  He used his celebrity to bring focus to an issue he is concerned about.  He's not the first to do it. I'm not going to get bent out of shape because of it.  

Thank you!        Thank you!         A thousand times,  thank you!!       :heart:        :flowers:

It's Kap's prerogative not to stand if he so chooses...whatever his personal feelings.  Many people have died for his right to do so.  Popular and unpopular free speech/expression is protected within reason. He' not inciting anyone to violence or falsely yelling fire in a crowded movie theater...so he's good.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Turns out Kaep has done this before.      He did it before last week's game vs. Denver.

But the media didn't notice it then so it didn't become a big deal.  

Here's a new tweet from the 49ers......

49ers coach Chip Kelly on QB Colin Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem: "We recognize his right to express his feelings. It's his right as a citizen." Kelly said Kaepernick did the same thing before the Denver game and that Kaepernick's decision to sit during the anthem will have no impact on the football decision making regarding him.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't have to explain it.    But it makes sense to Kaepernick.     That's all that matters.

To be clear,  I don't agree with most of what he said.    I'm just defending his right to say it and not be crushed for it.

It would help his cause if it made sense.  Like the rams coming out of the locker room with their hands up after the Ferguson shooting.  Boycotting the anthem makes zero sense 

36 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I don't think that what he did has to make sense to anyone but him.  He used his celebrity to bring focus to an issue he is concerned about.  He's not the first to do it. I'm not going to get bent out of shape because of it.  

It doesnt affect my opinion of him.   I guess I don't understand what his particular issue it is...

Oppression is the wrong word, to me...and I dont blame America for police shootings or the street violence up here in Chicago..,,any more than I blame America for that drug company charging sick people $400 a shot for that life saving drug.

I think he's a little off target but he can detail exactly what he means and ...and if this bothers him as it apparently does, there's a lot of groups he can donate his time money, celebrity to..

By simply boycotting the symbol of our country, he's off base to me...and bringing undue heat upon himself and the team he represnts.

But again....I feel bad about the violence that happens, like to Dwayne Wade's cousin Friday.

I just don't blame my country .......I don't know what to do about it

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

It doesnt affect my opinion of him.   I guess I don't understand what his particular issue it is...

Oppression is the wrong word, to me...and I dont blame America for police shootings or the street violence up here in Chicago..,,any more than I blame America for that drug company charging sick people $400 a shot for that life saving drug.

I think he's a little off target but he can detail exactly what he means and ...and if this bothers him as it apparently does, there's a lot of groups he can donate his time money, celebrity to..

By simply boycotting the symbol of our country, he's off base to me...and bringing undue heat upon himself and the team he represnts.

But again....I feel bad about the violence that happens, like to Dwayne Wade's cousin Friday.

I just don't blame my country .......I don't know what to do about it

IDK

He can comment on that.  I suspect he feels his country is not doing the best it can.

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

IDK

He can comment on that.  I suspect he feels his country is not doing the best it can.

maybe he doesn't know exactly what to do either....

As you might guess...I have a lot of opinions on a lot of subjects..but I grew up in Chicago and if you ask me how to stop 50 people getting shot in the city every week....or police shooting kids who turn out to be unarmed...

..I fall speechless..I don't have that answer

Meh...the more I read up on it the more I'm convinced it was a desperation heave. While reading, I learned he was abandoned by both his parents. His black father just up and bailed and his white mother put him up for adoption. Without getting into whether or not 1 of those courses of action is worse than the other, I find the term "equality" ironic. He was abandoned by a member of each race equally lol!

But seriously...then his adopted parents adopted him because they lost their 2 sons to illness in spite of their wealth and ability to provide top health care for them. So they adopted Kaep. And this is what he does...smh.

I can't say I respect his decision given his reasoning. Now if he had done it because it was against his religion (which is true for some religious organizations) then I'd see a non story here. 

Like has been said before here he really did not do himself well on this one. Poor dumb guy.

34 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

maybe he doesn't know exactly what to do either....

As you might guess...I have a lot of opinions on a lot of subjects..but I grew up in Chicago and if you ask me how to stop 50 people getting shot in the city every week....or police shooting kids who turn out to be unarmed...

..I fall speechless..I don't have that answer

No one has the total answer (and really the probably by all accounts there is no total answer), but it is in my educated opinion and research I've read to back up my theory is that if the families were together and strong this problem is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.

7 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I can't say I respect his decision given his reasoning. Now if he had done it because it was against his religion (which is true for some religious organizations) then I'd see a non story here. 

Like has been said before here he really did not do himself well on this one. Poor dumb guy.

What religion boycotts the anthem ?

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/26/my-faith-why-i-dont-sing-the-star-spangled-banner/

heres an an article for you. I can't name them all or hardly ANY, but it's based that where the religion believes you pledge only to God and/or Jesus Christ.

Meh :dunno:, one isolated blogger does not speak for an entire religion, IMO :). Going by that, we can extrapolate so many things a member of a religion or race does to the rest of the religion or race, which would be unfair. That is as far as I will go discussing this.

One may not respect the person holding the office of the President, but respect the office. Same way with the flag and anthem, just my two cents.

Just now, chad72 said:

Meh :dunno:, one isolated blogger does not speak for an entire religion, IMO :). Going by that, we can extrapolate so many things a member of a religion or race does to the rest of the religion or race. 

One may not respect the person holding the office of the President, but respect the office. Same way with the flag and anthem, just my two cents.

Yea I mean people are free to choose. I don't think it's ever been indicated and nor should it that people absolutely must pledge allegiance to the flag. It's a freedom of choice, much as life as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Yea I mean people are free to choose. I don't think it's ever been indicated and nor should it that people absolutely must pledge allegiance to the flag. It's a freedom of choice, much as life as a whole.

Yep, its my freedom of choice to condemn his choice as well. Happy to disagree with him.

Our Congress, House, Supreme Courts, Presidents and citizens, through out history, disagreed on major topics daily and always have, but we all still honor the flag and it's ideals.  You can debate, give your time, give your money, set up your own foundation to raise awareness,  give speeches, etc..America gives you the freedom to do all of those things and more...and by honoring the flag, you are telling America that you love the country and are working hard to change it for the better.  Burning flags and refusing to recognize the anthem is much like a spoiled child who doesn't get his way, so he takes his ball and goes home.    

9 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Great, a below average QB, being paid a guaranteed 12 million this year, complaining about inequality.  I wonder how much of that inequitable salary he is contributing to organizations that fight inner city violence or police brutality?

This stand went well for the NBA player formally known as Chris Jackson.  Kiss your career goodby Colin.

THIS!!

Except Sharif was WAY more talented than Craperneck.

Speaking for myself & only myself here, I find what CK did to be extremely disrespectful & just plain dumb. How difficult is it to stand up, bow your head, & observe a moment of silence paying homage to the men & women in the military who protect & preserve our civil liberties? 

Yes, CK can chose not to participate when the Natl. Anthem is being played or sung & teams & sponsors are well within their rights to not have them on their roster anymore or pitch products/endorsement deals anymore. What a fool. Sigh...

Personally, I think the idea that its disrespectful to sit or wear a hat during the national anthem is kind if arbitrary and stupid. Its like how people say that pitting your elbows on the table is rude. Why?  It makes no sense to me. 

That said, I think his reasoning for this was also stupid and it reeks of a cry for attention.

13 hours ago, Gramz said:

You can't force someone to be respectful.  Either they are, or they aren't.

He has a right to his decision,  and it doesn't matter that I think it's wrong.   haha

Yea, and actually I was ready to be the first to jump on this polarizing topic, but I was afraid it would constitute a political discussion since, well... that's what Kaepernick made it out to be, so I backed out.