Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff George syndrome

WoolMagnet

Inwas thinking about Andrew and the hurries, hits, etc, and it made me think of Jeff George and how a bad OL, hurries, and hits affeted George's game and arguably his career.

for those newer Colt fans, George developed a habit of throwing off his back foot because of the constant pressure. This affected his accuracy and velocity.   The guy could really sling the ball but the pressure really affected him long-term.

Of course, we can deduce that some of Andrews interceptions, and hits are directly related to the OL's play.

is anyone worried that Andrew will have some effect long-term from a similar first few years?

i'm sure it will to some degree (it arguably affected Peyton somewhat) it will, but hopefully he has a shorter memory than George did.

a solid OL is so helpful in developing a young QB.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Inwas thinking about Andrew and the hurries, hits, etc, and it made me think of Jeff George and how a bad OL, hurries, and hits affeted George's game and arguably his career.

for those newer Colt fans, George developed a habit of throwing off his back foot because of the constant pressure. This affected his accuracy and velocity.   The guy could really sling the ball but the pressure really affected him long-term.

Of course, we can deduce that some of Andrews interceptions, and hits are directly related to the OL's play.

is anyone worried that Andrew will have some effect long-term from a similar first few years?

i'm sure it will to some degree (it arguably affected Peyton somewhat) it will, but hopefully he has a shorter memory than George did.

No.

Not worried about Andrew Luck at this point in his career.

Especially not with Chud, Philbin and Schott taking over the offense.      Now he's getting top level coaching.

He should be fine.

48 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

As a Indianapolis Colts fan from day 1 , I thought Jeff George the home town boy was Peyton Manning before there ever was a Peyton Manning & he proved me & many others wrong .

He was a prima donna & a cry baby & yes he had good moments but he ultimately sucked as a Colt .

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/4/15/2112853/indianapolis-colts-top-10-draft-busts-and-successes-in-franchise

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.

Not worried about Andrew Luck at this point in his career.

Especially not with Chud, Philbin and Schott taking over the offense.      Now he's getting top level coaching.

He should be fine.

I agree totally the coaching surrounding 12 is in my opinion , Equal too what 18 had it is IMO like having Moore & Mudd back great talented Coach's  Chud & Philbin will get 12 to the next level & I really like Schott I think he's a very good coach as well I'm stoked to see this offense take the field in the regular season 

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

No. Andrew doesn't have "a 5 cent head" like George had as Bott pointed out. Andrew will be fine. I think having Chud here will help as well.

I think a better comparison would be Brandon Carr. He's more recent and was legitimately talented. But he got shell shocked from Houston's terrible O-Line play and never recovered.

Theres also an even scarier possibility which is Chad Pennington. The one guy from the 2000 draft class who was actually better than Brady. But his rotator cuff got destroyed because of his offensive line and eventually he lost his zip on the ball and basically looked like 2015 Manning.

Lets hope and pray Luck doesn't turn into either one of those guys.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I agree totally the coaching surrounding 12 is in my opinion , Equal too what 18 had it is IMO like having Moore & Mudd back great talented Coach's  Chud & Philbin will get 12 to the next level & I really like Schott I think he's a very good coach as well I'm stoked to see this offense take the field in the regular season 

Good post.

I think Moore and Mudd were simply great.

And while I'm not sure our new three rise to that level,  I think they're very, very good.      I think the new coaches will be the difference between having a winning season and a losing season.       Seriously.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think a better comparison would be Brandon Carr. He's more recent and was legitimately talented. But he got shell shocked from Houston's terrible O-Line play and never recovered.

Theres also an even scarier possibility which is Chad Pennington. The one guy from the 2000 draft class who was actually better than Brady. But his rotator cuff got destroyed because of his offensive line and eventually he lost his zip on the ball and basically looked like 2015 Manning.

David Carr took much worse beatings than Luck.  And it could be that David Carr just wasn't any good.

pennington was better than Brady? Lol

57 minutes ago, Bogie said:

The one thing Luck and George have in common is how many fans are going to turn on him when he don't live up to the insane expectations that have been given to him as he's become the NFL's highest paid player. 

ROFLLLLLLLL !!!!

:scorebad:  :troll:

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Come on now....

When you find yourself in position of writing a sentence that says Chad Pennington was better than Tom Brady then you should stop yourself dead in your tracks.

Perhaps that's not what you meant to say.....   perhaps it came out awkwardly.....     but find a way to say it differently.....       because Chad Pennington was really, really good.      But in his wildest dreams, he was never better than Tom Brady.       Not even close.

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

The one thing Luck and George have in common is how many fans are going to turn on him when he don't live up to the insane expectations that have been given to him as he's become the NFL's highest paid player. 

You have out done yourself with this udder nonsense.

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Bogie, 

You're a friend so I will take your thoughts seriously out of respect. Here's my take on what you said. I think most fans realize that Luck can't win a ring all by himself meaning his supporting cast matters: o-line, running backs, TE's & a tight secondary. Plus, being the highest paid QB is short-lived until the next QB gets paid & Andrew doesn't control the going salary rate on current NFL generals that come after him. 

I think most INDY fans are patient & fair minded. I do agree that Andrew expectations are high, but not unreasonable from the majority of Colt fans. 

30 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Bogie, 

You're a friend so I will take your thoughts seriously out of respect. Here's my take on what you said. I think most fans realize that Luck can't win a ring all by himself meaning his supporting cast matters: o-line, running backs, TE's & a tight secondary. Plus, being the highest paid QB is short-lived until the next QB gets paid & Andrew doesn't control the going salary rate on current NFL generals that come after him. 

I think most INDY fans are patient & fair minded. I do agree that Andrew expectations are high, but not unreasonable from the majority of Colt fans. 

Andrew Luck is nothing like Jeff George was. Andrew has already had 3 Very Good seasons = 11 wins and proven he could go deep in the Playoffs without a run game. He is much smarter and much more athletic than George was as well. I doubt Andrew will ever be as great as Peyton was but I have never expected that anyway. Andrew is a lot like Big Ben and Cam IMO who are franchise QB's, which is good enough to win a SB or 2 if we can build a solid Defense.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now....

When you find yourself in position of writing a sentence that says Chad Pennington was better than Tom Brady then you should stop yourself dead in your tracks.

Perhaps that's not what you meant to say.....   perhaps it came out awkwardly.....     but find a way to say it differently.....       because Chad Pennington was really, really good.      But in his wildest dreams, he was never better than Tom Brady.       Not even close.

If NY would have passed and the steelers would have drafted Pennington, as reported they wanted to, chad would have had a  much different career, imo.

same with Brady.  If he doesnt go to NE and play for tricky Billy, i'm not so sure he has even 1 SB, and thats IF he ever became a starter. If bledsoe doesn't get hurt, we may not know who brady is, and instead of Giselle, he'd be married to a Boston Hooters girl.

i believe there have been many QBs that would have had significantly different careers had they gone to different teams.

its a shame but on many teams, late rd picks and UFAs just dont get the opportunities ofhigher picks. Additionally, many teams give higher rd picks more leeway and chances than perhaps they should (based on production).

The truth is we are behind in the Luck era so far with what has been built here, Grigson is not Polian so far and that is clear since at the very least Polian could build better offenses faster. The D by now should be better, the o line should be better, the TEs should be better, the run game should be better and the coaching should have always been better. And we have missed on FA signings and draft picks. 

It is what it is though, there is still some time and it might work out so no I am not saying it's all negative. Blah the Jeff George comparisons.

So in a way I think we are a little behind and our saving grace at times has been a bad division and the AFC as a whole is looking a bit confusing to pick top teams.

And we have missed Reggie Wayne too since he has been gone. He was HUGE here for Luck's early time to bail him out.

Well the good news is that in just over two weeks everyone can watch as Andrew Luck ascends to MVP levels behind competent coaching and a good O-line.

The dude threw 40 TD just two seasons ago, while running for his life the entire time. The time is now.

33 minutes ago, Jules said:

The truth is we are behind in the Luck era so far with what has been built here, Grigson is not Polian so far and that is clear since at the very least Polian could build better offenses faster. The D by now should be better, the o line should be better, the TEs should be better, the run game should be better and the coaching should have always been better. And we have missed on FA signings and draft picks. 

It is what it is though, there is still some time and it might work out so no I am not saying it's all negative. Blah the Jeff George comparisons.

So in a way I think we are a little behind and our saving grace at times has been a bad division and the AFC as a whole is looking a bit confusing to pick top teams.

And we have missed Reggie Wayne too since he has been gone. He was HUGE here for Luck's early time to bail him out.

We definitely miss Reggie Wayne and his leadership. He was Andrew's security blanket in his Rookie season. I agree we are behind in the rebuild process regarding our Defense but in no way has Andrew Luck underachieved in his first 4 seasons. Despite being injured last season, his first 4 seasons measure up with the best of all-time in NFL History - numbers and wins don't lie/those are facts. For someone to compare him to Jeff George is Asi9 asi10 asi11 asi12 as Stephen A. Smith would say. This upcoming season will show us a lot.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We definitely miss Reggie Wayne and his leadership. He was Andrew's security blanket in his Rookie season. I agree we are behind in the rebuild process regarding our Defense but in no way has Andrew Luck underachieved in his first 4 seasons. Despite being injured last season, his first 4 seasons measure up with the best of all-time in NFL History - numbers and wins don't lie/those are facts. For someone to compare him to Jeff George is Asi9 asi10 asi11 asi12 as Stephen A. Smith would say. This upcoming season will show us a lot.

Well this isn't the best thread to start.......since most of us know if Luck has had any issues at times it's being pounded on the field and a lack of a run game and crap playcalling a bit too.

I hope this all improves starting SOON since Luck at least looks good based on what we saw last week. It would be a darn shame if his talents go to waste here since I always believed he had the potential to win one or two Super Bowls if a good team was behind him.

I always thought Luck tries really really really hard out there, just sometimes things around him are not working either. Sure he sometimes makes some boneheaded decisions, but his heart is in the game.

And omg........Wayne was huge here for a while with Luck. I do miss him at times.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I also have heard comparisons to Jim Everett.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Well this isn't the best thread to start.......since most of us know if Luck has had any issues at times it's being pounded on the field and a lack of a run game and crap playcalling a bit too.

I hope this all improves starting SOON since Luck at least looks good based on what we saw last week. It would be a darn shame if his talents go to waste here since I always believed he had the potential to win one or two Super Bowls if a good team was behind him.

I always thought Luck tries really really really hard out there, just sometimes things around him are not working either. Sure he sometimes makes some boneheaded decisions, but his heart is in the game.

And omg........Wayne was huge here for a while with Luck. I do miss him at times.

Yeah it would be nice to have Reggie in his prime. He was huge during Andrew's rookie season.

28 minutes ago, Jules said:

Comparing Grigson to Polian is not really a good thing because Polian was a seasoned veteran GM while Grigson was a rookie. As far as building an offense Luck has broken just about all of Manning's offensive numbers. One bad year and the first three cant be overlooked IMO and it took Polian how many years with Manning to make an AFC championship game? I know Polian is a HOF GM but his time here was not all that great when it came to building a team that was good enough to advance deep into the playoffs. Grigson has already surpassed that in his first 4 years so making the comparison is not really a true measuring stick.

As far as the George-Luck comparison, there is none. In all fairness to George he spent more time looking at the roof of the RCA dome that he did down field. He did find success after leaving Atlanta but his inability to be a team player was his main problem and cost him his chance of greatness his whole career.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

I also have heard comparisons to Jim Everett.

A lot of Patriots fans compare Luck to Bledsoe, Bledsoe was reasonably good and even got to the SB 1 season leading his team but I don't even see that because Andrew is much more athletic. I still like the Big Ben comparison which a lot of people have said as well. Ben gets injured quite often because he takes chances staying in the pocket and then running like Luck does. He and Luck both are great at throwing on the run too and their deep ball is pretty good as well. That comparison I can buy.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of Patriots fans compare Luck to Bledsoe, Bledsoe was reasonably good and even got to the SB 1 season leading his team but I don't even see that because Andrew is much more athletic. I still like the Big Ben comparison which a lot of people have said as well. Ben gets injured quite often because he takes chances staying in the pocket and then running like Luck does. He and Luck both are great at throwing on the run too and their deep ball is pretty good as well. That comparison I can buy.

Ben was beaten up because he too played for Bruce Arians.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those 2 have a lot of similarities in the way they play, it's almost scary. Ben has had more success winning 2 SB's but when he came into the league his running game and Defense were Great, much like Russell Wilson's was.

Yup, Luck is basically a younger Big Ben. With potential to be better than Big Ben IMO.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be, watch Palmer get injured this season, SMH

Arians has too much of a fetish for the deep ball IMO even if your o line is crap. He had too much fun winding up a rookie Luck and playing with that new toy at times to the point I think we should be happy Luck was a rookie then and not a beaten up veteran already.

It often seems boom or bust to me with Arians. You either get these big plays down the field and it's hot and sexy or your QB gets pummeled or throws a pick.

Looking back at the NFCCG I actually wonder now if some of it was playcalling with the Cards........since GB dropped a few easy picks too I think in the divisional.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like Jules said, it's not the best of threads. No offense to the OP but it isn't.

Yeah. I like the OP, decent poster but hell forums wouldn't be fun if we agreed all the time. Nothing wrong with different opinions. I'm sure I've had opinions that people thought were crazy too, it happens.