Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working out RB Ridley today/Friday

Old Colt

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

When you neglect the RB position like we have, this is what happens. You have to kick the tires on people like Ridley. I'll take him over any RB we have not named Frank Gore though.

IMO the Colts have not neglected the RB position as much as you seem to think. We had a very good RB in Bradshaw who was a beast when he played especially out of the backfield.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the team kicking the tires at all, but to be honest, I kind of like our RBs. We know what we're gonna get from Gore. Turbin, whilst unimpressive so far, has been great in short yard situations and was doing well in protection. Ferguson has been meh, but they're not even using him properly. His best plays were when he was in space. Throw him some screens and pitches and he might be able to do something. Either way, I don't mind trying out Ridley. It's not like the Colts run game is perfect, and they're gonna need as much help behind Gore as possible.

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I don't mind the team kicking the tires at all, but to be honest, I kind of like our RBs. We know what we're gonna get from Gore. Turbin, whilst unimpressive so far, has been great in short yard situations and was doing well in protection. Ferguson has been meh, but they're not even using him properly. His best plays were when he was in space. Throw him some screens and pitches and he might be able to do something. Either way, I don't mind trying out Ridley. It's not like the Colts run game is perfect, and they're gonna need as much help behind Gore as possible.

I think they'll wind up signing Ridley when it's all said and done.  If Gore gets hurt you don't feel that bad with Ridley and Turbin behind that.  Ridleys got good size and effective in the passing game.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think they'll wind up signing Ridley when it's all said and done.  If Gore gets hurt you don't feel that bad with Ridley and Turbin behind that.  Ridleys got good size and effective in the passing game.

Good point. My guess is, they still haven't exactly given up on Ferguson, and still want to see if Trey Williams has it in him. If they impress, great, if they don't, you still have 2 solid backups in Ridley and Turbin.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

Good point. My guess is, they still haven't exactly given up on Ferguson, and still want to see if Trey Williams has it in him. If they impress, great, if they don't, you still have 2 solid backups in Ridley and Turbin.

I think Ferguson has more than what we've seen so far.  He's more of the guy you want for the outside zone game to maximize his ability to cut back in space. Plus on a play or two the blocking has been bad.  I have seen some plays I've liked though and that includes pass blocking.  Made a real nice block in that Ravens game, got some good yards up the gut a time or two, and I like the little angle route he caught down near the goal line.  I'm thinking he shows more in this Philly game.  If we sign Ridley though I think he or either Trey Williams wind up on the PS.

3 minutes ago, Ace Boogie said:

When Ridley was released I expected us to take a look. I was watching the Seahwaks game yesterday and didn't know they drafted CJ Procise & Alex Collins. I was almost certain we would snatch up a RB in the draft, guess not. 

I think one of the two of them may be cut so there could be some opportunity there.  From what I read the fan base is a little down on Alex Collins.  I don't think they are all that high on Procise either but more from a durability stand point I think.

59 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Colts appear to be totally incompetent when it comes to judging RB talent. In their long history they have even traded Hall of Fame RB due to lack of brain power.

I seem to remember Faulk not being happy with the OL He was due a BIG payday soon and arguably would have left anyhow.  May as well get something for him while you can.

and i think the colts made up for it in picking QBs.

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I seem to remember Faulk not being happy with the OL He was due a BIG payday soon and arguably would have left anyhow.  May as well get something for him while you can.

Plus,,he wasn't running all that well.  People forget that when the harbaugh led colts went to the AFC title game Faulk was hurt and sitting on the bench......and my hatred of the running back position was born.

25 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Marshall Marshall Marshall  

Wanted more money than the Colts could afford to give him & he intended to hold out .

Many Colts fans were displeased when he left but like when Polian drafted Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf he struck gold again Edggerin James over Ricky Williams turned out to be just the thing the doctor ordered .

Marshall to the Rams was the right move at the right time . Here's a link for those with short memories .

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201411/bill-polian-game-plan-building-winning-football-nfl-colts-bills-carucci

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Plus,,he wasn't running all that well.  People forget that when the harbaugh led colts went to the AFC title game Faulk was hurt and sitting on the bench......and my hatred of the running back position was born.

I remember it well.

zach crockett kicked butt then lamont warren did well.

btw, i was in Pitt for the AFC champ.  The hail mary happened right in front of me.  The whole stadium went silent .... EXCEPT ME!

24 minutes ago, BOTT said:

And didnt management hold him out the 1st half of final reg season game  vs seattle when faulk needed yards for a bonus? 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

you all complaining of his fumble issues(which are bad), but keep in mind, these stats.....

Steven Ridley:

685 carries, 8 fumbles (none since 2013, only 120~ carries in 14/15 though)

Frank Gore:

4 Fumbles in 2015

AP: 

7 Fumbles in 2015

Granted both of those got a TON more carries over their careers than ridley but based on these numbers, he's about on par with the league average

Huh, imagine that. Cold hard stats to prove your point that Ridley doesn't have butterfingers when running with the football. That really gets in the way of my conspiracy theories as to why Steven would be a bad fit here & why I don't want him in INDY. Ha! Ha! Nice post csmopar. 

I still wanna pass on Ridley though. We don't need to take all of NE's hand me downs you know. Just saying. 

4 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

The only way to get a GOOD RB is to draft a good RB....before the end of round 3.

Maybe we will get one next year.

Edgerrin sure gave us an instant running game and took the heat off Peyton...but then Edgerrin was a 1st rounder.

An RB weapon would sure take the heat off Luck and give more balance to the O....maybe next year....

These are my thoughts. Just look at some of the RBs around the league. AP 1st round, Lacy 2nd, Ingram 1st, Gurley 1st, Murray and Gore 3rd, McCoy 2nd, recently retired Lynch 2nd, Bell 2nd, Charles 3rd, and the 2 unproven 1st round backs in Gordon and Elliot.

I think the Colts are going to have to pull the trigger early on a guy. It's year 5 and RB is still an issue regardless of what Ballard might have been.

Just imagine for example how scared teams would be to play us with Luck under center and Fournette in the backfield.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO the Colts have not neglected the RB position as much as you seem to think. We had a very good RB in Bradshaw who was a beast when he played especially out of the backfield.

Bradshaw problem was he could be a beast for about 6 games per season until getting injured again.

I wouldn't say our RB's are horrible. You do know they're handle back during preseason. If you rewatch the film on a dump pass to Turbin he wasn't running at full speed. Same with Gore the coaches have held him back. He just need to get tackled and hit. Each goal was accomplished. 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

These are my thoughts. Just look at some of the RBs around the league. AP 1st round, Lacy 2nd, Ingram 1st, Gurley 1st, Murray and Gore 3rd, McCoy 2nd, recently retired Lynch 2nd, Bell 2nd, Charles 3rd, and the 2 unproven 1st round backs in Gordon and Elliot.

I think the Colts are going to have to pull the trigger early on a guy. It's year 5 and RB is still an issue regardless of what Ballard might have been.

Just imagine for example how scared teams would be to play us with Luck under center and Fournette in the backfield.

Colts have not had a good back since Addai.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I wouldn't disagree with that statement. How are your feels on Donald Brown? I think he would fit our style of play in the new scheme. The power scheme never fit his style. Bad oline and playing behind other back who were bad never help either. 

3 hours ago, myic90 said:

Our running backs are fine. Go and watch the tape, the OL has to create holes. Not really his fault if Josh Ferguson is made to run right into the pile when he is a scat back.

Tomorrow's game will be more of an indication of what we have at the RB position. Hopefully the coaches put our RBs in a favorable situation.

Your correct and I've said that in an earlier statement. I went back and watched. I at first thought Good was fine, but he was on the ground a lot on a few plays. He has to watch his leverage. 

9 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

And when the colts offensive line lacked talent Addai wasn't effective.  The running game is more about the guys blocking than the guy running.  A few exceptions of course.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

You got me thinking and now i'm watching the "let 'er rip" 1995 playoff run.

that was a remarkable season. Those games against kc and sd were CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

love marchibroda.

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I want to see more Trey as well. I hope he gets some carries with the 1s tomorrow.

I wish the coaches would listen to us. LOL Williams is the only backup running back I've seen so far this year. I agree the line has to start blocking and opening up holes much better.

9 hours ago, FL Colts Fan said:

I agree, he'snot the answer. He suffered from fumbleitis in New England

And you know his fumbling is bad when he couldn't even protect deflated footballs. Look at New England's fumble ratings from then and you'll see an astronomical difference in their fumble counts as opposed to every other team.

In comparison, when BenJarvus Green-Ellis left and went to the Bengals, Green-Ellis had like 3 fumbles in his first two games, whereas in New England he literally never fumbled once!

If we take all that information, what does that say about Stevan Ridley? Not good.

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

And you know his fumbling is bad when he couldn't even protect deflated footballs. Look at New England's fumble ratings from then and you'll see an astronomical difference in their fumble counts as opposed to every other team.

In comparison, when BenJarvus Green-Ellis left and went to the Bengals, Green-Ellis had like 3 fumbles in his first two games, whereas in New England he literally never fumbled once!

If we take all that information, what does that say about Stevan Ridley? Not good.

Add in his T Rich style 2.5 yards per attempt last season when Ivory and Powell averaged around 4.5 doesn't sound like he has much left to give .