Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working out RB Ridley today/Friday

Old Colt

Per CNN Bleacher report the Colts have running back Steven Ridley in for a workout today... not sure how strong his physical condition is after knee surgery, but he is only 27 years old.  IF he can regain his former self, he could be a good addition, assuming the price is right.  Both this year and future.

Thoughts........

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised. The RBs have all looked abysmal in pre-season. Not one of them excites you and even with Kelly I'm not ready to hitch my wagon to a 33 year old Frank Gore. Ridley could give us what Herron and Bradshaw gave us as a guy you can get out in space and get creative with. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not surprised. The RBs have all looked abysmal in pre-season. Not one of them excites you and even with Kelly I'm not ready to hitch my wagon to a 33 year old Frank Gore. Ridley could give us what Herron and Bradshaw gave us as a guy you can get out in space and get creative with. 

The running backs have been awful.  I sure would like to see more of Trey Williams. He is the only back that has shown anything IMO. 

1 minute ago, FL Colts Fan said:

The running backs have been awful.  I sure would like to see more of Tre Williams. He is the only back that has shown anything IMO. 

Agreed. Turbin looks awful and he was the guy most people picked to be the relief back for Gore. I don't think he even makes the team tbh. Even Ferguson, who had a bunch of hype in TC has disappointed, although he looked better in game 2 than 1.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There is a reason he has been cut a couple of times. Fumbling is one of them. I think I would pass but it looks like the Colts are kicking the tires.

They'll probably sign him because of his ties to the Detroit Lions.  They can pick his brains while seeing if he still has something left during the preseason maybe.  He might have a chance though.  Behind Turbin and Gore we have nothing but spread system Running Backs.  The problem with the spread system is these guys never learn how to run traditional NFL style running plays.  All of their success came running out of the shotgun for the most part.   Josh Robinson had the exact same problem.  Ridley on the other hand can run out of traditional NFL running formations with no problems as well as from the shotgun.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a reason he has been cut a couple of times. Fumbling is one of them. I think I would pass but it looks like the Colts are kicking the tires.

When you neglect the RB position like we have, this is what happens. You have to kick the tires on people like Ridley. I'll take him over any RB we have not named Frank Gore though.

The only way to get a GOOD RB is to draft a good RB....before the end of round 3.

Maybe we will get one next year.

Edgerrin sure gave us an instant running game and took the heat off Peyton...but then Edgerrin was a 1st rounder.

An RB weapon would sure take the heat off Luck and give more balance to the O....maybe next year....

From my perspective, and Defjams26 is one of my compadres on here most of the time unless we just disagree on an issue which happens from time to time.  I don't think the RB spot is Neglected.  Turbin is fine for short yardage/goaline , inside zone types of plays.  He also gets better with increased carries running behind the Starters which he hasn't gotten to do much of this preseason.  He can also assist in the passing game/screen game.  But he's not a wiggle type of outside zone runner and that's the other element we need from that 3rd back.  I think we need a competent 3rd RB so that all the styles complement each other.  Ridley has the skillset to me, but I don't like this guy when it comes to ball security. Got to show me something there bro.

34 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Guess Ferguson and Turbin aren't impressing our coaches. Would love to see us upgrade our running back situation, but Ridley isn't the answer IMO.

Damn, I wish we had Darren Sproles like five years ago.

I do like the way Turbin has pass blocked and protected Luck on several plays.  he could be valuable just for that...maybe Ridley can do the same being a bigger back and handle the short yardage plays.  still would be nice to have a player like a Sproles though too....

you all complaining of his fumble issues(which are bad), but keep in mind, these stats.....

Steven Ridley:

685 carries, 8 fumbles (none since 2013, only 120~ carries in 14/15 though)

Frank Gore:

4 Fumbles in 2015

AP: 

7 Fumbles in 2015

Granted both of those got a TON more carries over their careers than ridley but based on these numbers, he's about on par with the league average

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Lions cut him this early.  Not a good sign.  I'll pass  There are more cuts to come and maybe even a trade possibility if they are not happy with what we have.   I would rather go a little slow here and work the phones to see what might be happening with other teams issues.

Lions were pretty stacked though with good young backs between Ameer Abdullah, Zach Zenner, and Theo Riddick.  Really no room for Ridley.  Colts have another set of circumstances.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

The only way to get a GOOD RB is to draft a good RB....before the end of round 3.

Maybe we will get one next year.

Edgerrin sure gave us an instant running game and took the heat off Peyton...but then Edgerrin was a 1st rounder.

An RB weapon would sure take the heat off Luck and give more balance to the O....maybe next year....

More than likely. It would've been bad to use a high draft pick on a RB with the makeshift OL we've had the past few years. If this line makes the jump from bad to decent, expect a high pick to be used on a stud RB in the near future. Also, expect the forum to hate the pick.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Lions were pretty stacked though with good young backs between Ameer Abdullah, Zach Zenner, and Theo Riddick.  Really no room for Ridley.

Sounds about right.  But I do think other teams could have a similar problem.  We might be able to do better.  Doesn't hurt to bring him.  I just hope they are checking all of the other potential possibilities.

Not a lot out there veteran wise.   Maybe Pierre Thomas but he's old. Maybe some others will shake free when final roster cuts begin.  I'm still thinking one of those running backs from Seattle gets cut.  Don't know what else is available.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Lions were pretty stacked though with good young backs between Ameer Abdullah, Zach Zenner, and Theo Riddick.  Really no room for Ridley.  Colts have another set of circumstances.

How is that stacked?  They have a combined 800 yards rushing.   Theo is a good receiving back,  abdula is unproven and Zenner is a question mark at best

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How is that stacked?  They have a combined 800 yards rushing.   Theo is a good receiving back,  abdula is unproven and Zenner is a question mark at best

Those are the guys they like so the odds are stacked against Ridley

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How is Abdullah unproven?  He was there the whole season and he's their high round draft choice. You know Ridley isn't playing over him even if he didn't run for 1,000 yards his first season.  It's not new news about them liking Riddick.  And it's obvious they like Zenner over Ridley which I thought would end up being the case anyway.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not a lot out there veteran wise.   Maybe Pierre Thomas but he's old. Maybe some others will shake free when final roster cuts begin.  I'm still thinking one of those running backs from Seattle gets cut.  Don't know what else is available.

I believe KC is deep at RB and I believe I read where Hillman might be a casualty at Denver. Just a few possibilities that could be there.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

How is Abdullah unproven?  He was there the whole season and he's their high round draft choice. You know Ridley isn't playing over him even if he didn't run for 1,000 yards his first season.  It's not new news about them liking Riddick.  And it's obvious they like Zenner over Ridley which I thought would end up being the case anyway.

Obviously they like them all over ridley,  That's why he was cut.   But that isn't saying a lot.  The lions are far from stacked at running back in my opinion.  Ridley isn't the answer for anyone

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Abdullah only had 143 rushing attempts last year.  You give him what Frank Gore had and he'd have been over 1,000.  He averaged 4.2 a carry

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Obviously they like them all over ridley,  That's why he was cut.   But that isn't saying a lot.  The lions are far from stacked at running back in my opinion.  Ridley isn't the answer for anyone

When I said stacked I meant they had several guys ahead of Ridley as their preference.  Younger players who they know from close observation will be better if given a chance.  The 3 that I figured would be ahead and remain ahead of Ridley.  If you're going off numbers then maybe there is an argument and I see what you're saying there.

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have to keep in mind that Detroit's O-line was worse than the Colts were over the last couple of years. The Lion's drafted heavy on their O-line this last draft similar to what the Colts did.

Our running backs are fine. Go and watch the tape, the OL has to create holes. Not really his fault if Josh Ferguson is made to run right into the pile when he is a scat back.

Tomorrow's game will be more of an indication of what we have at the RB position. Hopefully the coaches put our RBs in a favorable situation.