Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vic Beasley Not Impressing

krunk

From Twitter

Vic Beasley not impressing @CharleyCasserly: "You've got to start worrying about this guy in the big picture, whether you have something."

MikeGarafolo

Mike Garafolo

"I don't know man, I've just got to keep working," Beasley said. "I'm not able to get home like I want to. I've got to keep a positive mindset and keep working."

Beasley struggles to turn speed into power off the edge and gets eaten alive by blockers. He's taken pointers from newly signed veteran Dwight Freeney, but even those lessons have come up short. Beasley tried to use Freeney's patented spin move at one point Thursday. It was summarily shut down.

"Nah, it ain't working right now," Beasley said. "I have to go to the film room, go to the practice film, and try to critique something. It is (frustrating) at times. I just know I have to keep working."

Last year's No. 8 overall pick has been dealing with a shoulder injury that forced him to miss last week's game. Thursday night it appeared he was favoring the shoulder and the injury seems to be affecting his play. Still, Beasley wouldn't use it as a crutch.

"I know what's expected of me, but it's not a sense of pressure," Beasley said. "It's just what's expected of me. I just have to keep attacking each day."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000690508/article/falcons-vic-beasley-still-struggling-to-rush-the-passer

I remember a lot of guys on this forum loved this dude.   I wasn't really of the same opinion during the draft process.  It's still early though I guess

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Don't the Falcons run a 4-3 with Dan Quinn? Guy would be better as a stand up OLB in a 3-4 IMO 

I've thought about that to a degree(switching to a 3-4), but the Falcons system is very similar to what they run at Clemson.  Same system he had success in college.  I never thought Beasley had much of any pass rush moves along with a lack of power.

Good for him that he's taking responsibility and trying to work hard to improve.  He's not blaming it on the system, not blaming the coaches, but taking putting the onus on himself.  He also had decent production in terms of hurries.  He had 33 hurries and 5 QB hits.  He just hasn't been able to convert those into sacks.  But it's not like he's producing Bjoern Werner-like numbers.

Not even two full years into his career. He put up 4 sacks his first year in the league. Go look at the number of Hall Of Fame pass rushers that put up great numbers there first couple years. Strahan alone put up 5.5 sacks his first 2 years in the nfl and look how that turned out. Patience is needed! He had 4 sacks his rookie year and had a 78.2 pass rush grade according to PFF which is average. He is also dealing with an injury obviously. He will be fine when healthy. Just has to perfect a 2nd move and get healthy. It has NOTHING to do with his size. He also only had 543 snaps last year

20 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Meh, give him some time. Young guys aren't always immediately great after they get drafted. 

Like Clowney?

haha, just messin with you.

but you are right, some produce right away, some take time, some never "get it".

i like the fact that he's not making excuses.  He seems to be able to look in the mirror and own it.  We need ALOT more of that attitude in the NFL, and society in general.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Like Clowney?

QuizBoy is a cool guy. He probably laughed at that tiny jab himself. That's why I like him. He's open minded about his Texans & where they need to grow & get better at. 

Plus, he hates the Cowboys as much as I do. So, I suspect we'll always get along perfectly fine for a very long time. haha

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

QuizBoy is a cool guy. He probably laughed at that tiny jab himself. That's why I like him. He's open minded about his Texans & where they need to grow & get better at. 

Plus, he hates the Cowboys as much as I do. So, I suspect we'll always get along perfectly fine for a very long time. haha

I know he is.  He and i have got a lil snippy in the past, but it was emotionally driven.  He adds a non-homer view around here which is needed sometimes.

he's ok in my book.

(other than the fact he's a texan fan, haha)

26 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Like Clowney?

but you are right, some produce right away, some take time, some never "get it".

i like the fact that he's not making excuses.  He seems to be able to look in the mirror and own it.  We need ALOT more of that attitude in the NFL, and society in general.

Yes exactly! I like that he's holding himself accountable. Reminds me of another defensive linemen who holds himself to a certain standard ;) I think that this is a guy who will get it. He has the right coach to help him along the way. 

2 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yes exactly! I like that he's holding himself accountable. Reminds me of another defensive linemen who holds himself to a certain standard ;) I think that this is a guy who will get it. He has the right coach to help him along the way. 

Clowney is going to have a coming out party this year I do believe.  As long as he doesn't get bit by the injury bug again.  I've seen him and he's improved quite a bit.

18 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

He adds a non-homer view around here which is needed sometimes.

You've got that right WM. When it comes to my favorite teams like INDY & Big Blue, I can't always see my clubs clearly because I'm too invested in their success & sometimes their previous glory yrs that don't exist anymore. Like when JPP was playing with that club & I didn't wanna believe that he wasn't gonna be as effective with his hand wrapped up. Stuff like that. 

It's all peachy keen until some darn rival points out what I refuse to see. Just Kidding Quizboy! 

I am curious to see what Clowney looks like this season. That kid is gonna give Chewbacca fits. Oh happy joy. Swell just swell [sarcasm]. But, all joking aside, rehab after surgery sucks...the isolation from your teammates I mean & I hope JC feels good being back out there making game changing plays again. Just not against us. 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Not even two full years into his career. He put up 4 sacks his first year in the league. Go look at the number of Hall Of Fame pass rushers that put up great numbers there first couple years. Strahan alone put up 5.5 sacks his first 2 years in the nfl and look how that turned out. Patience is needed! He had 4 sacks his rookie year and had a 78.2 pass rush grade according to PFF which is average. He is also dealing with an injury obviously. He will be fine when healthy. Just has to perfect a 2nd move and get healthy. It has NOTHING to do with his size. He also only had 543 snaps last year

You still waiting on Bjoern?

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

You still waiting on Bjoern?

No. Not on the team anymore. Don't care how he plays. But he fits the same narrative. People expect great production from year 1 and its not usually realistic nor does it happen

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Clowney is going to have a coming out party this year I do believe.  As long as he doesn't get bit by the injury bug again.  I've seen him and he's improved quite a bit.

I hope so. He has all the talent of course. Now it's a question of whether or not he can hold up for a whole season.