Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats acquire Mingo from Brown's for a 5th

LJpalmbeacher2

With Mingos speed he and Jamie Collins might be able to switch roles.  They can now bring Jamie Collins off the edge if they want to as a pass rusher.  Collins was a really good pass rusher coming out of college.  Mingo can do some of the coverage work Colins was doing.  Or the Pats can look at switching it up and bringing both of them at the same time.  I'm sure Bellichick will get the most out of whatever he's got in his head.  They also have that kid Tre Flowers to go along with them.

Mingo has 7 Sacks and 68 Tackles in 46 games played/3 year career = that is Poor. He isn't even an Average player. The only reason why this is news is the Patriots traded for him. I doubt Belichick's magic can even turn this guy into a Good player. They only had to give up a 5th Round pick so maybe they think it's worth the gamble?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

With Mingos speed he and Jamie Collins might be able to switch roles.  They can now bring Jamie Collins off the edge if they want to as a pass rusher.  Collins was a really good pass rusher coming out of college.  Mingo can do some of the coverage work Colins was doing.  Or the Pats can look at switching it up and bringing both of them at the same time.  I'm sure Bellichick will get the most out of whatever he's got in his head.  They also have that kid Tre Flowers to go along with them.

Plus they Bring Hightower back, and they'll have an offense that will likely be able to put up close to 40 a game. They will be locked, cocked and ready to rock when Brady gets back. 

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mingo has 7 Sacks and 68 Tackles in 46 games played/3 year career = that is Poor. He isn't even an Average player. The only reason why this is news is the Patriots traded for him. I doubt Belichick's magic can even turn this guy into a Good player. They only had to give up a 5th Round pick so maybe they think it's worth the gamble?

Exactly. If we traded a 5th round pick for an under performing pass rusher in the last year of his contract, I'd be livid. However, the Patriots have a track record of getting a lot out of these kind of guys so people are praising it.

As a non-fan of the Patriots, I love them giving up draft picks. That's just me, though.

7 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Plus they Bring Hightower back, and they'll have an offense that will likely be able to put up close to 40 a game. They will be locked, cocked and ready to rock when Brady gets back. 

They have a defense full of mediocre pass rushers.  Maybe Collins can up his game in that regard but he hasn't proven it yet.

43 minutes ago, BOTT said:

They have a defense full of mediocre pass rushers.  Maybe Collins can up his game in that regard but he hasn't proven it yet.

i think you are under rating them individually, and as a team they are much better than just mediocre

they had the second most sacks last year behind denver. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2015&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think you are under rating them individually, and as a team they are much better than just mediocre

they had the second most sacks last year behind denver. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2015&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

That stat includes chandler jones (traded) and Rob Ninkovinch (injured).

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt Belichick's magic can even turn this guy into a Good player.

Bill knows a players strengths an has a role in mind for Mingo.  He will coach him up into it.  Mingo won't even have to be good overall, just good in that role- "Do your job!"  Most  of his pickups do, knowing that the waiver / cut wire is is next up on the agenda if they can't.do so.

Just because the gray hoodie traded for Mingo, it doesn't mean this LB is gonna set NE's pass rush or run defense on fire. Honestly, why does NFL Network turn everything Belichick does into a breaking news story? Sigh...

We interrupt this program to tell you that Bill is taking a dump. We'll return in short order to inform you what FeBreeze scent is Billy's favorite. 

Seriously folks, it's just about this ridiculous on NFL Network. I kid you not. 

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The MIGHTY football God Belichick has once again struck fear into the Colts fans with a wave of a hand in the media. May God have mercy on our football souls.

Nice touch on your final sentence CC1. Great sarcasm there BTW. 

Again, the Browns ARE NOT A TEAM where players Flourish, so his stats there are irrelevant. What is relevant is Belichek thinks highly enough of him to trade for him. And though the mighty Belichek doesn't strike fear in me, mostly because our teams are not nearly at the same level anyway, I trust his evaluation on players acquired and how to use them more than anyone on this forum or the brownies organization lol.

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Again, the Browns ARE NOT A TEAM where players Flourish, so his stats there are irrelevant. What is relevant is Belichek thinks highly enough of him to trade for him. And though the mighty Belichek doesn't strike fear in me, mostly because our teams are not nearly at the same level anyway, I trust his evaluation on players acquired and how to use them more than anyone on this forum or the brownies organization lol.

I think you missed the point?

Regarding the Patriots and Belicheck getting a ton of praise for this move, I guess years of turning mediocre/under performing talents into quality players has earned them the rights to that type of praise. Doesn't mean Mingo is gonna work out, just that people will have faith that Bill can/will turn the guy around. 

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you missed the point?

Ah huh. True that. 

I get that Bill Belichick has won 4 SB rings in NE since he took over in 2000 & there are plenty of accolades that customarily arrive with such a high level of success, but here's what always baffles me, how come so many former Boston players act like football wasn't invented until after Bill started winning rings?

Like Bill Walsh & Chuck Noll never existed or something. Or if former Pats play for other organizations like Willie McGinest in Cleveland or Heath Evans in New Orleans, nothing compares to the shrine of FoxBorough like their tenure with other organizations meant absolutely nothing or that the staffs assembled there just weren't good enough to praise or rave about. 

I get personal preferences for certain people & places, but darn man spread the love around a little bit would ya? Come on. [Directed at Heath Evans & Willie McGinest not my friend CC1].

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Regarding the Patriots and Belicheck getting a ton of praise for this move, I guess years of turning mediocre/under performing talents into quality players has earned them the rights to that type of praise. Doesn't mean Mingo is gonna work out, just that people will have faith that Bill can/will turn the guy around. 

I also guess that being the most fined and suspended team in the NFL has not made an issue over how the success was gotten?

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The MIGHTY football God Belichick has once again struck fear into the Colts fans with a wave of a hand in the media. May God have mercy on our football souls.

Now you know god gives no mercy :)

3 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

False. That's just not true. Look it up, the teams at the top may surprise you... ... ... ...

Well, I did... and according to this   The Patriots are the 5th most fined team since 2002 (stats are from February 2015).  The funny thing about that stat is it is player fines only.  If one were to add in the fine that Kraft and BB got for illegal taping that would add $750,000 to the fine about and then if you add in the fines for deflate gate (which had not been finalized yet when the article was written) that would make them the most fined team (by dollar amount in the NFL.

I'm not even looking at Mingos numbers as a pass rusher and they probably aren't either.  I think the move gives them another guy with speed who has experience dropping in coverage that you can use on passing downs.   I think Jamie Collins is the guy they want to get more involved in the pass rush game.  In my mind Mingo should allow them to do that, while making use of his speed, size, and athleticism in coverage.  That along with some pass rush usage from time to time.  Overall it just helps them be more versatile.  From my view point I understand the move.

18 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

As a non-fan of the Patriots, I love them giving up draft picks. That's just me, though.

Yea, me too.  But this time they didn't give up picks for cheating.  Its more fun when that happens.  And it seems to happen alot. haha

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, I did... and according to this   The Patriots are the 5th most fined team since 2002 (stats are from February 2015).  The funny thing about that stat is it is player fines only.  If one were to add in the fine that Kraft and BB got for illegal taping that would add $750,000 to the fine about and then if you add in the fines for deflate gate (which had not been finalized yet when the article was written) that would make them the most fined team (by dollar amount in the NFL.

Like thats a big surprise.

if they aren't getting fined, they aren't trying.

its in the Pats playbook, look it up.

19 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

What mediocre players has he really turned around?  Not saying he hasnt but I can't think of many off the top of my head.

19 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Ah huh. True that. 

I get that Bill Belichick has won 4 SB rings in NE since he took over in 2000 & there are plenty of accolades that customarily arrive with such a high level of success, but here's what always baffles me, how come so many former Boston players act like football wasn't invented until after Bill started winning rings?

Like Bill Walsh & Chuck Noll never existed or something. Or if former Pats play for other organizations like Willie McGinest in Cleveland or Heath Evans in New Orleans, nothing compares to the shrine of FoxBorough like their tenure with other organizations meant absolutely nothing or that the staffs assembled there just weren't good enough to praise or rave about. 

I get personal preferences for certain people & places, but darn man spread the love around a little bit would ya? Come on. [Directed at Heath Evans & Willie McGinest not my friend CC1].

This.

i get so tired of all the BB butt kissing.  They act like winning games with Matt Cassell was the greatest coaching job of all time.  Marty Schottenheimer made a living winning with poor quarterbacks in KC and people rip him.  I guess if Marty was fortunate enough to hit the human lottery ticket in 6th rounder Tom Brady he would be the greatest.

BB is great, but good lord.....

58 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What mediocre players has he really turned around?

I don't really mean turning them into superstars or anything, more like being able to get solid production and wins with guys who weren't exactly household names.

Being able to win 11 with Cassel, or turning undrafted CB Malcolm Butler into a pro bowler. Heck, even Brady was a 6th round pick. Those are the only ones I can think off the top of my head, sorry.

And for the record, I know that every team does this (find steals and gems) and I by no means agree with all the love he gets. It's pretty ridiculous actually, how much the media kisses his butt. But winning 4 Super Bowls, and being the best franchise since 2000, is gonna get you some media love. Again, not saying I agree, just why I think they're so widely heralded. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

This.

i get so tired of all the BB butt kissing.  They act like winning games with Matt Cassell was the greatest coaching job of all time.  Marty Schottenheimer made a living winning with poor quarterbacks in KC and people rip him.  I guess if Marty was fortunate enough to hit the human lottery ticket in 6th rounder Tom Brady he would be the greatest.

BB is great, but good lord.....

Yep, this obsession with Bill's greatness like he alone invented Championship Football is a bit absurd. I blame sports media for this craziness not Belichick or the organization he works for itself. 

Marty was an outstanding coach in KC & San Diego. He should be praised more frequently. You're exactly right BOTT. 

On 8/25/2016 at 6:08 PM, BOTT said:

Yeah you might wanna look at thier sack numbers from last year. Whether they are great pass rushers or not, they get the job done and theye produce.

37 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Yeah you might wanna look at thier sack numbers from last year. Whether they are great pass rushers or not, they get the job done and theye produce.

you might want to remember that Chandler Jones was traded and Rob Ninkovinch is injured.